Options

why do you believe in God or...

Comments

• Options
    69charger69charger Posts: 1,045
    All part of God's wonderful plan...

3 killed in Mo. church shooting
    By MARCUS KABEL, Associated Press Writer

A gunman opened fire in the sanctuary of a southwest Missouri church Sunday, killing the pastor and two worshippers and wounding several others, authorities said.

One of the victims was the Rev. Kernal Rehobson, 44, who led the local congregation of predominantly Micronesian worshippers holding the service at the First Congregational Church, police said.

Rehobson was shot multiple times and was dead at the scene, Newton County Coroner Mark Bridges said.

The other two victims were male members of the congregation, whose names were not released, The Joplin Globe reported.
  • Options
    brokendave wrote:
    if you were to follow the bible as a Christian, you would kill people who deny the word of God.
    i kill people because they don't believe in the word of God?
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • Options
    brokendave wrote:
    I feel sorry for you, and I will pray long and hard for all of you who have said you don't believe in your lord. I suppose I understand why so many of you are such liberal elitists now, as you are blinded by Satan's trickery. He has blinded you with the half truths of science, and has all of these "good" people telling you that we should accept homosexuality... what is next, multiple partners... beastiality... sex with children??? You see? Where do you limit your sins??? Without God, you have no moral basis to live your life... you can go and do whatever you want because you have nobody to hold you accountable.

Well, I am sorry to say that I won't see many of you when I receive my crowns in heaven. I just hope that God will forgive you eventually, by limiting his definition of eternity... and that you won't have to burn in hell with Satan and all of those killers, rapists, and terrorists who deserve to burn forever.

Jesus once said, "No man cometh unto the father but by me."

In Love,

brokendave
    if you were a christian indeed... i'd probably be laughing at you for such comments...
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    brokendave wrote:
    I find it very unfortunate that I gave a great deal of bait to all of the atheists to dig into the farce of Christianity here, and nobody took it. I denounce the existence of ANY god of ANY kind. Although I can't say with certainty that a deity exists, I will not spend any time trying to guess on such manners.

We as atheists derive our morals from the same places that Christians do, which is not the Bible, but more of an evolution of a social conscience. For example, if you were to follow the bible as a Christian, you would kill people who deny the word of God. However, you chose not to because you pick and chose what to follow in the bible. You pick and chose these things based on the moral conscience of society.

For those of you who responded, you gave nothing of intellectual value as a response. You might as well have said nothing at all. Brush up on your social skills people, or this society will never become truly rational.

Perhaps you could find other things to do as sport?
    I've got enough on my plate thanks don't need to be toyed with by someone who now claims to hold the same belief as me not to mention a higher lever of social skills. :rolleyes:
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    freedomboyfreedomboy Posts: 129
    i kill people because they don't believe in the word of God?

Here are two examples:

Exodus 22:20
    "Whoever sacrifices to any god other than the LORD must be destroyed."

Deuteronomy 13:12-15

"If you hear it said about one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you to live in that wicked men have arisen among you and have led the people of their town astray, saying, "Let us go and worship other gods" (gods you have not known), then you must inquire, probe and investigate it thoroughly. And if it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done among you, you must certainly put to the sword all who live in that town. Destroy it completely, both its people and its livestock."
    Freedom is a state of mind...
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:
    Perhaps you could find other things to do as sport?
    I've got enough on my plate thanks don't need to be toyed with by someone who now claims to hold the same belief as me not to mention a higher lever of social skills. :rolleyes:

Point taken.

I suppose I was wrong in my approach, my apologies. I should head my own words here but:

1. You catch more flys with honey.
    2. The best way to make a point is to frame the conversation. The best way to do that is by asking questions.

*EDIT*

and incase of the new / old testament argument:

Luke 19:27
    "But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me."
  • Options
    brokendave wrote:
    Point taken.

I suppose I was wrong in my approach, my apologies. I should head my own words here but:

1. You catch more flys with honey.
    2. The best way to make a point is to frame the conversation. The best way to do that is by asking questions.

Dave, I've got no problem with people of faith or athiests. It's an individual choice as far as I'm concerned. I cannot make a person believe what I believe and I wouldn't want to anyway. Diversity is a good thing as far as I can see. Having said that I'm not a fan of having things rammed down my throat, that would apply to athiesm as well as religion for me, so yes, you do catch more flies with honey. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:
    Dave, I've got no problem with people of faith or athiests. It's an individual choice as far as I'm concerned. I cannot make a person believe what I believe and I wouldn't want to anyway. Diversity is a good thing as far as I can see. Having said that I'm not a fan of having things rammed down my throat, that would apply to athiesm as well as religion for me, so yes, you do catch more flies with honey. :)

Tru dat. I completely agree. However, when in discussion about faith, i think it is okay to ask questions, and talk about your beliefs... as this thread has done ;-)

So... Let's get over the power struggle here... hump my leg or do whatever you have to do to feel in control here... and lets talk...

I agree that diversity is good to an extent. However, limiting the rights of gays is not a "good thing", war is also not a "good thing"... but those two things are justified in the wide diversity of many religions. So there is a certain limit to this...

To go further, if people want to believe in the tooth fairy, I don't give a shit... until they pass legislation to tax me for the tooth fairies services to the public.
  • Options
    brokendave wrote:
    Tru dat. I completely agree. However, when in discussion about faith, i think it is okay to ask questions, and talk about your beliefs... as this thread has done ;-)

So... Let's get over the power struggle here... hump my leg or do whatever you have to do to feel in control here... and lets talk...

I agree that diversity is good to an extent. However, limiting the rights of gays is not a "good thing", war is also not a "good thing"... but those two things are justified in the wide diversity of many religions. So there is a certain limit to this...

To go further, if people want to believe in the tooth fairy, I don't give a shit... until they pass legislation to tax me for the tooth fairies services to the public.

hehe! :D Well I don't know that I'll be humping your leg, or anybody elses for that matter. :p And as for me "feeling in control" well I pretty much accept that's never gonna happen, so I just muddle along as best I can. :)

In terms of talking about the thread, then yes I agree that not all religion is a good thing and that limiting rights based on religious beliefs is very bad. And I don't support war. But these ideas are also supported by some athiests.

It's up to those of us that don't support homophobia or war to make sure that we stand up and be counted in order to stamp out that kind of discrimination and war mongering. And that is really all that we can do. Whether we have faith or are athiests. I think probably your circumstances are different to mine in that you are living in a country where these things are being initiated by your government based on their religious views. That is not so much the case here in Australia. Not saying that it isn't happening but not on the same scale that it appears to be in the US.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    brokendave wrote:
    For those of you who responded, you gave nothing of intellectual value as a response.

It's hard to give an answer of intellectual value to someone if they actually believe the stuff you wrote.
    You might as well have said nothing at all.

So... I agree.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    brokendave wrote:
    Here are two examples:

Exodus 22:20
    "Whoever sacrifices to any god other than the LORD must be destroyed."

Deuteronomy 13:12-15

"If you hear it said about one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you to live in that wicked men have arisen among you and have led the people of their town astray, saying, "Let us go and worship other gods" (gods you have not known), then you must inquire, probe and investigate it thoroughly. And if it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done among you, you must certainly put to the sword all who live in that town. Destroy it completely, both its people and its livestock."
    you're pretty knew at this aren't you?
  • Options
    read it again, this time try to understand it's point of view. start with the epistles of paul... romans particularly... then read his others and look for parallel scriptures... then refer back to the old testament. all this, mind you, while revolving around what you read in the gospels - the focal point.

are you going to hell? that's a question you should ask yourself...

but if you want to insist and say, "well, hey i'm never going to believe in God even if i'm dying so might as well get it out of the way.... will i be going to hell then after i die?" well, i hate to be mr. obvious but i think we both know the scriptures well enough to know what the Bible says about that.

Dear deadnothingbetter,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your postings, and will try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them.

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual cleanliness - Lev.15:19-24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.
  • Options
    chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    brokendave wrote:

and incase of the new / old testament argument:

Luke 19:27
    "But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me."

luke 19:11-27 is a parable and is in reference to the end times when someone willingly rejects christ. If you read the whole parable and do some additional research to discover what it's about, it in no way is telling people to go find someone who doesn't believe and slay them; but anti-Christian sites like to use this as a way to say Christianity is bad. Since this is a story to those in attendance there are certain historical analogies that were very appropriate for those people and it made a great deal of intuitive sense to them.
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Options
    69charger wrote:
    Dear deadnothingbetter,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your postings, and will try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them.

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual cleanliness - Lev.15:19-24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.

at least you got the cut and paste thing down.
  • Options
    chopitdown wrote:

Can you answer any of those for me? I'm especially worried about the football one and the one about owning Mexicans.
  • Options
    I believe in your right to believe in whatever God you choose.
    Beyond that what I believe in isn't anybody's business but my own.
    May 05, 1992 -November 26, 1993 -
    November 27, 1993 - November 28, 1993 -
    July 08, 1995 -July 09, 1995 -
    July 11, 1995 - June 26, 1998 -
    June 27, 1998 - October 08, 2000 -
    August 05, 2007
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    chopitdown wrote:

I think 69charger asks excellent questions. What is wrong with his questions exactly?
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    I think 69charger asks excellent questions. What is wrong with his questions exactly?

b/c they aren't HIS questions. The only thing 69charger read was some blog somewhere that had this "letter" to dr laura that addressed it to her b/c she mentioned she was an orthodox jew and was against something b/c of Leviticus. Orthodox jews believe the torah, of which Leviticus is part, is unalterable and is eternal and binding...so to them the questions are pertinent and are not addressed by the new testament covenant; so it's appropriate to them. To Christians, who believe the new covenants "replace" the older covenants it's an irrelevant issue, for the most part. http://www.wcg.org/lit/law/covenants.htm

if you want an exhaustive commentary on leviticus and it's purpose look here http://www.entrewave.com/freebooks/docs/217e_47e.htm it's about a 75 page .pdf file that someone has put together it is not easy reading but if you want the background and the issues addressed I suggest reading it.
  • Options
    69charger wrote:
    Can you answer any of those for me? I'm especially worried about the football one and the one about owning Mexicans.

you can own mexicans to play football as long as you wear gloves and don't play on the Sabbath.
  • Options
    chopitdown wrote:
    b/c they aren't HIS questions. The only thing 69charger read was some blog somewhere that had this "letter" to dr laura that addressed it to her b/c she mentioned she was an orthodox jew and was against something b/c of Leviticus. Orthodox jews believe the torah, of which Leviticus is part, is unalterable and is eternal and binding...so to them the questions are pertinent and are not addressed by the new testament covenant; so it's appropriate to them. To Christians, who believe the new covenants "replace" the older covenants it's an irrelevant issue, for the most part. http://www.wcg.org/lit/law/covenants.htm

if you want an exhaustive commentary on leviticus and it's purpose look here http://www.entrewave.com/freebooks/docs/217e_47e.htm it's about a 75 page .pdf file that someone has put together it is not easy reading but if you want the background and the issues addressed I suggest reading it.

So the Bible is more of a "guide" and not the literal word of God as I was taught in Catholic School and we can pick and choose from it whatever we want?
  • Options
    69charger wrote:
    So the Bible is more of a "guide" and not the literal word of God as I was taught in Catholic School and we can pick and choose from it whatever we want?

did you read the link? my guess is no. There are clear delineations in the covenants that guide christianity. And since I'm not Catholic I have no idea what you learned in Catholic school and I don't know the Catholic presuppositions / dogma.

edit: and the bible is the literal word of God but it is also literary and uses different literary styles and therefore is subject to the rules of those styles. You shouldn't just pick up the Bible and read it and take what it means without looking at historical context, styles etc... B/c to do so is to greatly simplify it and to possibly read it wrong. There are many things in there that should cause people to scratch their heads and wonder about it and dig deeper; like the Leviticus issue. You'll usually find out there's a lot of help needed for reading the Bible for everyone. Preachers, educators etc... have volumes of books that add context to the bible to help make it easier to read or help clarify passages.
  • Options
    chopitdown wrote:
    did you read the link? my guess is no. There are clear delineations in the covenants that guide christianity. And since I'm not Catholic I have no idea what you learned in Catholic school and I don't know the Catholic presuppositions / dogma.

Is the Bible the literal word of God? Yes or No?
  • Options
    69charger wrote:

see the edit above
  • Options
    69charger wrote:

did you read the links? yes or no?
  • Options
    chopitdown wrote:
    did you read the link? my guess is no.

Yeah, it says the Ten Commandments (old obsolete covenant) no longer apply. Nice one!

Thanks Jesus! Now I don't feel so bad for doing those married chicks and killing that hooker and calling my Dad an asshole once ;)
  • Options
    69charger wrote:
    Yeah, it says the Ten Commandments (old obsolete covenant) no longer apply. Nice one!

Thanks Jesus! Now I don't feel so bad for doing those married chicks and killing that hooker and calling my Dad an asshole once ;)

actually it didn't say that at all. It repeats some commandments in the NT, and there are clearly expositions against many of the same things that aren't explicitly repeated.
  • Options
    chopitdown wrote:
    actually it didn't say that at all. It repeats some commandments in the NT, and there are clearly expositions against many of the same things that aren't explicitly repeated.

It said the Tenth Commandment was sort of implied in the "new" covenant, that's it! Just one commandment!
  • Options
    69charger wrote:
    It said the Tenth Commandment was sort of implied in the "new" covenant, that's it! Just one commandment!

that and Love the lord your God with all your heart, mind, and soul. Tell me what that could possibly mean and how you would go about doing that? Here's Galations

So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. 17For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.

19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

again, if you look at one little verse in the Bible and don't look at the context or dig deeper you probably are missing something.
  • Options
    69charger wrote:
    Dear deadnothingbetter,

haha dude... you must've been reading all my posts that you finally got the nerve to write something like that..... it's almost like people just have to try to mess with my faith or something i don't know..... i'm guessing you must have some kind of obsession on me or something.

i'm not gonna get into the details of all of 'em... it seems you haven't paid attention while i gave a session;) this time i want you to pay close attention
    j/k just being a dick

anyways, i'm just going to summarize... the old laws were there to show the israelis what it's like without God... it was God's way of showing them how life would be on their own way... indeed that is the route they took... to this day, it still is that way with the jews... they followed rituals of different kinds because that was their tradition... they all were influenced by pagan cultures and you see that when they worshipped the god of baal when moses came down with the 10 commandments... after that it all went spiraling down... God never intended for it to be that way... he wanted to deal with the jews on a one-on-one basis but they were too scared. so eventually that's where they went.... but God reestablished that to summarize all of that into one person alone... that person was Jesus Christ. no longer did they have to follow traditions because those were all paganistic lifestyles... no more sacrifices... "For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect." Hebrews 10:1
  • Options
    I believe in your right to believe in whatever God you choose.
    Beyond that what I believe in isn't anybody's business but my own.
    try to explain that to 69charger