why do you believe in God or...

Comments

• 69charger wrote:
    So the Bible is more of a "guide" and not the literal word of God as I was taught in Catholic School and we can pick and choose from it whatever we want?
    no... because the law was already accomplished by Jesus Christ.... God only requires of you that you have faith.... just like Abraham who simply believed and he was regarded as a righteous man.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    "For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect." Hebrews 10:1

Hmmm. Idolatry. And a new day. Or son, as the story goes.

Did you see the first part of Zeitgiest, or have you read about the astrological wisdom of our ancient ancestors?

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • 69charger wrote:
    Yeah, it says the Ten Commandments (old obsolete covenant) no longer apply. Nice one!

Thanks Jesus! Now I don't feel so bad for doing those married chicks and killing that hooker and calling my Dad an asshole once ;)
    "Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsil of the ungodly, nor stands in the way of the sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful but his delight is in the law of the Lord and in his law does he meditate day and night and he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of waters that bring forth his fruit in his season his leaf also shall not whither and whatever he does shall prosper." Psalm 1

if your delight would be in the law of the Lord... not the Law of Moses, or the 10 commandments, or Leviticus... but of the "law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus" Romans 8:2 then you wouldn't have to be worried about sin and all. yes, even homosexuality. i've come to believe that if you believe in the words of Jesus you wouldn't be gay anymore. ;)

we no longer live by the Law because it was all established in Jesus Christ. let me read the rest of romans

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh (and now place close attention to that last and fourth verse) that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."Romans 8:1-4
  • gue_barium wrote:
    Hmmm. Idolatry. And a new day. Or son, as the story goes.

Did you see the first part of Zeitgiest, or have you read about the astrological wisdom of our ancient ancestors?
    yes i saw it... a little interesting but deserves more investigation on my own part.
    yes i saw it... a little interesting but deserves more investigation on my own part.

It's well worth looking in to.

I saw Charger's post last night, and I've got to say you came back good where I didn't think it was possible.

Nicely done.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
  • gue_barium wrote:
    It's well worth looking in to.

I saw Charger's post last night, and I've got to say you came back good where I didn't think it was possible.

Nicely done.
    thanks, i would figure if someone is actually reading my post they would figure i understand those questions... i mean, i might be a dummy but am i obviously that big a dummy? not to doubt him though... he asked good questions too.
    thanks, i would figure if someone is actually reading my post they would figure i understand those questions... i mean, i might be a dummy but am i obviously that big a dummy? not to doubt him though... he asked good questions too.

I'm glad I came upon your posts. Yeah, Charger is good too. Lately he's been very good.

• corycory Posts: 736
    Some of you people need to find Jesus...

Anyway, there's no definitive proof for or against according to scientists, but I don't hang out with people who try to disprove the very fabric of society's majority so I don't give a rat's ass.

Long story short, wouldn't you rather be known for promoting good and positivity in your lifetime rather than being a person who tried bring people down into your own worlds of doubt and self-loathing?

I always looked at these threads as an attempt to see if there are other people out there whose lives are as unfulfilled and hopeless and the person who started the thread.

Have a wonderful day!:) <---yes, I was being ugly.
    Revive the heart of the heartless...

Why would you start was has no end?
  • cory wrote:

Anyway, there's no definitive proof for or against according to scientists, but I don't hang out with people who try to disprove the very fabric of society's majority so I don't give a rat's ass.

Long story short, wouldn't you rather be known for promoting good and positivity in your lifetime rather than being a person who tried bring people down into your own worlds of doubt and self-loathing?

I always looked at these threads as an attempt to see if there are other people out there whose lives are as unfulfilled and hopeless and the person who started the thread.

you're a dick
    you're a dick

That's pretty accurate. But I'm an honest dick. Enjoy hell.

• cory wrote:
    That's pretty accurate. But I'm an honest dick. Enjoy hell.
    :p"Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us." Romans 8:34
    cory wrote:

So, which is it? A rat's ass or a dick?

:p"Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us." Romans 8:34

Cory 7:33 "So doeth as I say and sucketh mine balls"

I'm still working on the completion of a few chapters.

Is your mom's basement cold today?

cory wrote:

You give a lot of credit, stylistically speaking, to a book, you know, a book, you seem to be trying to discredit.

• cory wrote:

"wouldn't you rather be known for promoting good and positivity in your lifetime rather than being a person who tried bring people down into your own worlds of doubt and self-loathing?" Cory 7:34

my mother doesn't have a basement... or not unless you're making some kind of sexual reference... if you are, it's really cheesy...
  • freedomboyfreedomboy Posts: 129
    chopitdown wrote:
    luke 19:11-27 is a parable and is in reference to the end times when someone willingly rejects christ. If you read the whole parable and do some additional research to discover what it's about, it in no way is telling people to go find someone who doesn't believe and slay them; but anti-Christian sites like to use this as a way to say Christianity is bad. Since this is a story to those in attendance there are certain historical analogies that were very appropriate for those people and it made a great deal of intuitive sense to them.

So because this is future tense, it makes it okay? God is telling Christians to murder unbelievers, no matter what time it is speaking of!
    Freedom is a state of mind...
  • gue_barium wrote:
    You give a lot of credit, stylistically speaking, to a book, you know, a book, you seem to be trying to discredit.
    i personally don't know what he's trying to do
  • brokendave wrote:
    God is telling Christians to murder unbelievers, no matter what time it is speaking of!
    ?????
    gue_barium wrote:

I'm not discrediting anything. Don't take my sarcasm and abusive language as non-belief in anything. I'm merely arguing on a message board with people who think they have all the answers to everything. I'm going to go do some work now while you sit here rotting all day accomplishing nothing but promoting your own extensive vocabularies and boring philosophies.

No disrespect;)

you're pretty knew at this aren't you?

I don't understand you're question. New at atheism? or talking about the bible? or what?
  • brokendave wrote:
    I don't understand you're question. New at atheism? or talking about the bible? or what?
    the second part....

God is telling Christians to murder unbelievers, no matter what time it is speaking of!
    the old laws were there to show the israelis what it's like without God... it was God's way of showing them how life would be on their own way... indeed that is the route they took... to this day, it still is that way with the jews... they followed rituals of different kinds because that was their tradition... they all were influenced by pagan cultures and you see that when they worshipped the god of baal when moses came down with the 10 commandments... after that it all went spiraling down... God never intended for it to be that way... he wanted to deal with the jews on a one-on-one basis but they were too scared. so eventually that's where they went.... but God reestablished that to summarize all of that into one person alone... that person was Jesus Christ. no longer did they have to follow traditions because those were all paganistic lifestyles... no more sacrifices... "For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect." Hebrews 10:1
    i personally don't know what he's trying to do

Well, I think people knock the bible because they've seen it in too many a hypocrite's hands. I understand that. Still, it is a piece of literature, of record, of history, and fable that is worthy in it's own right for standing the test of time.

• gue_barium wrote:
    Well, I think people knock the bible because they've seen it in too many a hypocrite's hands. I understand that. Still, it is a piece of literature, of record, of history, and fable that is worthy in it's own right for standing the test of time.
    a hypocrite, like cory?
    cory wrote:
    I'm not discrediting anything. Don't take my sarcasm and abusive language as non-belief in anything. I'm merely arguing on a message board with people who think they have all the answers to everything. I'm going to go do some work now while you sit here rotting all day accomplishing nothing but promoting your own extensive vocabularies and boring philosophies.

No disrespect;)

You're taking the easy way out.

a hypocrite, like cory?

Cory isn't a hypocrite. He's a slacker. Probably one of those IT people.

• gue_barium wrote:
    Cory isn't a hypocrite. He's a slacker. Probably one of those IT people.
    i don't know what cory is, or isn't... i really don't care... i just think that it's even easier to accept people for their beliefs and all without offending them and still not doubting any of your own beliefs.

that's my problem with most people. that they try to make my beliefs look stupid, or try to make me feel like an idiot for believing it... well, i mean, i'm sure many think it's ridiculous you know, a fable, so i'll give 'em that much. i just think people need to use a little common sense when dealing with people's faiths, beliefs, or lack of belief and all...

i think in this case, cory is making it harder for himself... nobody is claiming to know everything, including myself. i'm just sharing, that's all.
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    ...why don't you, if that is the case.

i am an atheist. i don't believe in a God cause it makes absolutely no sense to me. this has been the case since i was 11 years old. religion does not give me the answers i require.

The answers you require you may never get. We all have questions and want answers but I beileve we will find those answers when we die. When I walk outside and smell the air and think how everything is set up so perfect, sunrise, sunset, trees, water, birth, life, people, I know there is a God. I dont need answers right now cause I know one day I will get them.
    I'll be back
    cory wrote:

Cory,

You are as funny as you think you are, but probably not as smart. Long story short, "the very fabric of society's majority" is contributing to the destruction of the planet, war, bigotry, imperialism, corporate corruption, oppression, and inequality... This has nothing with trying to ruin somebody's day, but it does have a great deal to do with the future longevity of humanity.

Christians, Jews, and Muslims continue to wage war and imperialism over the world. You want to tell me what I have to say and believe, and you try to achieve this through invading our political spectrum. Since this is the case, I will not sit idly by and watch. You started this war, but I will see it through. I will never stop challenging the existence of God, and I will do everything I can to restore the balance of power in this sense.

So, go drink a Coca-Cola and watch MTV Cribs... I am sorry I spoiled your day with my rational thought. Hey, maybe we should all just trust that the government will make the best decisions for us too? While we are at it, we will all find our daddy sasquatch in the forest, and everything will be okay!

I await your equally smart ass reply,

brokendave
    the second part....

I was speaking of your remarks to my new testament quote.

You said it was refering to the "end times"...

So you are telling me that God will have you bring us "non-believers" before him so that you can murder me in front of him? (that was a rhetorical question btw)

THOU SHALT NOT KILL
  • brokendave wrote:
    I was speaking of your remarks to my new testament quote.

You said it was refering to the "end times"...

So you are telling me that God will have you bring us "non-believers" before him so that you can murder me in front of him? (that was a rhetorical question btw)

THOU SHALT NOT KILL
    i've never been as lost in a discussion like i am right now.... what?

i don't remember referring to the end of times.....

please elaborate about me killing you in front of God, what are you referring to? you were quoting old testament verses not the new testament. and if you were quoting old testament verses i responded with a response i made to another person... i said, the old testament was a whole other ballpark and it was all another time and tradition influenced by other pagan religions... but now it's all different. there's no doubting that.