Options

why do you believe in God or...

Comments

• Options
    gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    i don't know what cory is, or isn't... i really don't care... i just think that it's even easier to accept people for their beliefs and all without offending them and still not doubting any of your own beliefs.

that's my problem with most people. that they try to make my beliefs look stupid, or try to make me feel like an idiot for believing it... well, i mean, i'm sure many think it's ridiculous you know, a fable, so i'll give 'em that much. i just think people need to use a little common sense when dealing with people's faiths, beliefs, or lack of belief and all...

i think in this case, cory is making it harder for himself... nobody is claiming to know everything, including myself. i'm just sharing, that's all.

Right, and we're going to get to that later. The sharing part: "i'm just sharing, and that's all."

You're very good with the Bible, and I appreciate that, particulary in light of the fact it is quite out of vogue here. That's good faith.
    In yourself.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • Options
    i've never been as lost in a discussion like i am right now.... what?

i don't remember referring to the end of times.....

please elaborate about me killing you in front of God, what are you referring to? you were quoting old testament verses not the new testament. and if you were quoting old testament verses i responded with a response i made to another person... i said, the old testament was a whole other ballpark and it was all another time and tradition influenced by other pagan religions... but now it's all different. there's no doubting that.

Isn't it odd that these bible bashers take the word of the bible as ...GOD?! without any interpretation or reference, historical or otherwise, in it for themselves?

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
  • Options
    freedomboyfreedomboy Posts: 129
    nickcat0 wrote:
    As a teenager I was an atheist . There was no proof of a God , and science seemed to be able to explain most things .
    Whilst I was at college , I was friendly with 2 Christians and we used to debate and discuss religion , God , heaven and hell etc. They would point out passages from the Bible to back up their claims , and took time to explain various key passages . I can't fully explain it but , eventually , it all just seemed to make sense .
    Since that day I have been convinced of God's existence . I have received comfort in times of despair , and although I'm sure not all my prayers have been answered in the way I wanted ; there have been too many times when my prayers have been answered in a very specific way , that goes beyond coincidence .
    In my experience , once I stopped looking for proof and just had faith , then the proof followed .

That is what "God" and religion is all about... comfort. The only proof you have is comfort.

You know, you and I are complete opposites. I was raised believing in God, and then grew to understand the farce...

Let me tell you, I haven't experienced that comfort since I stopped believing, but I will tell you this:

You have that comfort because you can lay all of your worries and problems onto someone or something else known in this case as "God"... The world isn't so comforting when YOU are responsible for YOU.
    Freedom is a state of mind...
  • Options
    brokendave wrote:
    That is what "God" and religion is all about... comfort. The only proof you have is comfort.

You know, you and I are complete opposites. I was raised believing in God, and then grew to understand the farce...

Let me tell you, I haven't experienced that comfort since I stopped believing, but I will tell you this:

You have that comfort because you can lay all of your worries and problems onto someone or something else known in this case as "God"... The world isn't so comforting when YOU are responsible for YOU.

Why's that? Did you kill somebody?

• Options
    brokendave wrote:

well, isn't that what it's about? feeling comfort in this world, finding peace in a chaotic world?
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • Options
    brokendave wrote:
    The world isn't so comforting when YOU are responsible for YOU.

I think I heard that at mass on Sunday...

No priest would disagree with that.
    All I know is that to see, and not to speak, would be the great betrayal.
    -Enoch Powell
  • Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    Isn't it odd that these bible bashers take the word of the bible as ...GOD?! without any interpretation or reference, historical or otherwise, in it for themselves?
    it is, indeed.
  • Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,038
    brokendave wrote:
    Cory,

You are as funny as you think you are, but probably not as smart. Long story short, "the very fabric of society's majority" is contributing to the destruction of the planet, war, bigotry, imperialism, corporate corruption, oppression, and inequality... This has nothing with trying to ruin somebody's day, but it does have a great deal to do with the future longevity of humanity.

Christians, Jews, and Muslims continue to wage war and imperialism over the world. You want to tell me what I have to say and believe, and you try to achieve this through invading our political spectrum. Since this is the case, I will not sit idly by and watch. You started this war, but I will see it through. I will never stop challenging the existence of God, and I will do everything I can to restore the balance of power in this sense.

So, go drink a Coca-Cola and watch MTV Cribs... I am sorry I spoiled your day with my rational thought. Hey, maybe we should all just trust that the government will make the best decisions for us too? While we are at it, we will all find our daddy sasquatch in the forest, and everything will be okay!

I await your equally smart ass reply,

brokendave
    I understand you wanting to influence things and help restore balance. I seek to do so myself. The key is, though, that the fallout you mention is where the majority is in it's natural evolution. What you refer to is "lack". We counterbalance lack and restore balance with presence. We do this with presence of information, presence of help, presence of support and that which balances the lack. That is how evolution works. Adding lack to lack shows we're all in the same boat, experiencing lack in order to evolve and grow, Christian or athiest alike. As human beings.

It remains that where general society has evolved to right here and now--including the humans within society and their minsets and beliefs--is where it is. Evolution is not "wrong". Any conflict with what exists right now, such as the idea that it is "wrong" exists within us. Evolution is what it is and it is improving bit by bit. That is it's nature. And yes, within that evolution there is fallout. For two steps forward, we take one back. ALL of us experience such processes. It's not about "right/wrong" or "self/other". It's about what IS. We can look at this process and criticize where it is, but I can't see how that is helpful.

When we create lack we are accountable for contributing to our problems and conflicts. When we create the presence of healthy balance and awareness, then we are responsible for contributing to balance.

Whether we call it "evil" or "lack" anti-life principles remain anti-life and anti-evolution and we create painful fallout by our actions. This is whether acted out by Christians or athiests. We each choose in each moment: presence or lack.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options
    angelica wrote:
    I understand you wanting to influence things and help restore balance. I seek to do so myself. The key is, though, that the fallout you mention is where the majority is in it's natural evolution. What you refer to is "lack". We counterbalance lack restore balance with presence. We do this with presence of information, presence of help, presence of support and that which balances the lack. That is how evolution works. Adding lack to lack shows we're all in the same boat, experiencing lack in order to evolve and grow, Christian or athiest alike. As human beings.

It remains that where general society has evolved to right here and now--including the humans within society and their minsets and beliefs--is where it is. Evolution is not "wrong". Any conflict with what exists right now, such as the idea that it is "wrong" exists within us. Evolution is what it is and it is improving bit by bit. That is it's nature. And yes, within that evolution there is fallout. For two steps forward, we take one back. ALL of us experience such processes. It's not about "right/wrong" or "self/other". It's about what IS. We can look at this process and criticize where it is, but I can't see how that is helpful.

When we create lack we are accountable for contributing to our problems and conflicts. When we create the presence of healthy balance and awareness, then we are responsible for contributing to balance.

Whether we call it "evil" or "lack" anti-life principles remain anti-life and anti-evolution and we create painful fallout by our actions. This is whether acted out by Christians or athiests. We each choose in each moment: presence or lack.

I said "slacker" not "lacker".

But, I still don't know what the hell you're talking about.

• Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    I said "slacker" not "lacker".

But, I still don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Oops. That wasn't for me.

That makes me a lacker.

Now I kind of see what you're saying.

• Options
    chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    brokendave wrote:
    So because this is future tense, it makes it okay? God is telling Christians to murder unbelievers, no matter what time it is speaking of!

actually it's referring to His (God's) judgement; nowhere does it say that Christians are to do that and to try to twist it to that is to make it mean something it doesn't
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Options
    chopitdown wrote:
    actually it's referring to His (God's) judgement; nowhere does it say that Christians are to do that and to try to twist it to that is to make it mean something it doesn't

I think it's mostly referrring to sundown and sunrise.

• Options
    corycory Posts: 736
    brokendave wrote:
    Cory,

You are as funny as you think you are, but probably not as smart. Long story short, "the very fabric of society's majority" is contributing to the destruction of the planet, war, bigotry, imperialism, corporate corruption, oppression, and inequality... This has nothing with trying to ruin somebody's day, but it does have a great deal to do with the future longevity of humanity.

First of all thanks. Secondly, are we talking about whether there is a God or how to save the earth?

BTW, society's majority IS religious in one way or the other. It's why people think that religion is responsible for killing so many people. Everybody attached to war is likely religious in their personal lives. I don't think God is telling anybody to start a war.

Your post has nothing to do with God. You should have just written, "Everybody, buy a fucking Prius,stop cutting down so many trees and turn your lights out whenever possible."

You would have accomplished the same thing.

I don't know everything, but I'm smarter than you think. I think maybe my gigantic biceps and oversized penis gets in the way of my brilliance at times.
    Revive the heart of the heartless...

Why would you start was has no end?
  • Options
    chopitdown wrote:
    oh, i get it... he must've been chatting with you and somewhere inbetween we both got caught in the mix.... that's why he wasn't making sense with me.
  • Options
    oh, i get it... he must've been chatting with you and somewhere inbetween we both got caught in the mix.... that's why he wasn't making sense with me.

no, b/c it is a parable and has historical context I tried to dig a little deeper with it to see what it meant. I don't pretend to know it all; I recognize that others have studied it much greater than I have so I look to others who have studied it as well. People can get degrees in theology etc... for a reason; it's not that simple.
  • Options
    cory wrote:
    First of all thanks. Secondly, are we talking about whether there is a God or how to save the earth?

BTW, society's majority IS religious in one way or the other. It's why people think that religion is responsible for killing so many people. Everybody attached to war is likely religious in their personal lives. I don't think God is telling anybody to start a war.

Your post has nothing to do with God. You should have just written, "Everybody, buy a fucking Prius,stop cutting down so many trees and turn your lights out whenever possible."

You would have accomplished the same thing.

I don't know everything, but I'm smarter than you think. I think maybe my gigantic biceps and oversized penis gets in the way of my brilliance at times.

Do you ever...
    this is kind of,
    this is hard to ask, i feel self-conscious, i'm turning red just thinking,
    do you ever, or have you ever

kissed yourself?

• Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    Do you ever...
    this is kind of,

kissed yourself?

I masturbate regularly. Rarely, if ever, do I kiss a body part. I have one you can kiss if you're interested;)

• Options
    cory wrote:
    I masturbate regularly. Rarely, if ever, do I kiss a body part. I have one you can kiss if you're interested;)
    I didn't say I was homo.

I was just wondering if you were a member of the self-suck club. Because you sure do suck.

• Options
    chopitdown wrote:
    no, b/c it is a parable and has historical context I tried to dig a little deeper with it to see what it meant. I don't pretend to know it all; I recognize that others have studied it much greater than I have so I look to others who have studied it as well. People can get degrees in theology etc... for a reason; it's not that simple.
    no... what i meant was that brokendave and i were discussing and he was commenting on some issues that weren't making sense... then you replied to him, so i figured he confused me with you because of the mix up...

i dunnoo... my brain is frying :confused:... i need to stop posting and get something to eat...

edit: so i just read the other posts... and yeah it seems i stuck my nose in to where it's not my business :o apparently, you included the passage of the parable from luke and he replied saying that God condone's killing someone who doesn't believe in him, no matter what time... so that's when i jumped in.
  • Options
    no... what i meant was that brokendave and i were discussing and he was commenting on some issues that weren't making sense... then you replied to him, so i figured he confused me with you because of the mix up...

i dunnoo... my brain is frying :confused:... i need to stop posting and get something to eat...

ahhh...it's so clear now.
  • Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    I didn't say I was homo.

I was just wondering if you were a member of the self-suck club. Because you sure do suck.

That's the gayest post I've ever read.

Look me up at a show here in the South. I'll bet you're a lot nicer when you stand face to face with a man.

Wow! Completely gay........

• Options

It's a reversal in your mental construct.

Sure, I know you're tired now. Me, too. See ya again soon, I hope.

Same Bat channel.

• Options
    cory wrote:
    That's the gayest post I've ever read.

Look me up at a show here in the South. I'll bet you're a lot nicer when you stand face to face with a man.

Wow! Completely gay........

Um, you have a problem with gays?

I don't.

• Options
    cory wrote:
    face to face with a man.
    actually this is completely gay
  • Options
    bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    gue_barium wrote:
    Do you ever...
    this is kind of,

kissed yourself?

i've lost alot of friends because of my ability to kiss myself in the bad place
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    Um, you have a problem with gays?

I don't.

I have a problem with you.

Keep flexing those innernuts. You sounded so intelligent in your previous 11,000 posts. You seem a little off now.

Bye weakness.

• Options
    bostonlou wrote:
    i've lost alot of friends because of my ability to kiss myself in the bad place

We readers appreciate your honest answer.

• Options
    chopitdown wrote:
    ahhh...it's so clear now.
    well, now that i read the parable i would say the dude took the scripture completely out of context... jesus wasn't referring to himself but to the actual austere man in the parable.
  • Options
    cory wrote:
    I have a problem with you.

Keep flexing those innernuts. You sounded so intelligent in your previous 11,000 posts. You seem a little off now.

Bye weakness.

Are you being real?

You could have at least bought me a drink.

• Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    It's a reversal in your mental construct.

Sure, I know you're tired now. Me, too. See ya again soon, I hope.

Same Bat channel.
    agreed