Options

Columbus area Pearl Jam fan gone missing...

Comments

• Options
    I wish this was the case, but I have Pearl Jam linked to my myspace. You don't necessarily need to know someone in person to have them link to you, or even to link to them.

And, if he was with the band, wouldn't someone have said something? Ed also talked about his story during the Cincinnati show earlier this year.

Now, it is true that a tour requires a lot of people, more than we realize, but he would certainly have told Alexis (his girlfriend) what he'd be doing over the next couple months and would have returned her phone calls.

sorry , I didn´t meant to joke with something serious,I didn´t paid attention to the threads, I hope Brian is ok, it´s just that I feel like I´m in the wrong place right now, opportunity knocked on my door to go and catch a ride but I didn´t have the key to open the door, so now I´m stuck here in Portugal wanting to be in Australia, I wish I could meet friends even if the friendship would only last for a month, ( a day would also be good)

For me Pearl Jam are a spiritual source.
    Keep yourself Alive Brian.
  • Options
    icarus wrote:
    hey everybody, its sad no ones posted in this thread in 25 days :( i really hope they find this guy, even if its something really bad, it would at least give closure to his friends and family that need to move on. i feel so bad for his girlfriend. shes got the rest of her life to look forward to. it sucks that something like this has to stay with her for all of that time.

about 3 or 4 years ago a girl from my school went missing and shes never been found. its always really bothered me that someone could just go missing like that. theres so many odd things in this world we have to cope with and try to understand.

Bumpity-bump that.
    Stop following me, I do not know where I am going.
  • Options
    we talked to Randy on Thanksgiving. No new news.....
  • Options
    ???????????????
    I'll be back
  • Options
    ???????????????

Is there a river near the campus? I saw a show on how several men, all attending mid-West colleges, have mysteriously disappeared-all separated from friends while out-and have been found murdered, in bodies of water nearby. They suspect a serial killer. Sorry, I hope this guy is alive, and well, and just posing a question.
    Sincerely,

BOOM's ORGAN
  • Options
    ???????????????

If your post was in response to mine- Randy is Brian's father....I talk to him quite regularly. He keeps me updated and so on....
  • Options
    Is there a river near the campus? I saw a show on how several men, all attending mid-West colleges, have mysteriously disappeared-all separated from friends while out-and have been found murdered, in bodies of water nearby. They suspect a serial killer. Sorry, I hope this guy is alive, and well, and just posing a question.

creepy. i've never heard about that.

but yes there is a river near campus. about a mile walk from where he was at that night.
  • Options
    bookmusebookmuse Posts: 277

I know this has happened in Minnesota quite a bit but was unaware it was happening in other mid west cities.

I hope this is not the case.
    "Speak your mind even if your voice shakes" ~ M Kuhn
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    spike007 wrote:
    If your post was in response to mine- Randy is Brian's father....I talk to him quite regularly. He keeps me updated and so on....

Dana, please tell Randy that we all are thinking about him and Brian.

Alexis, too.

Family is really very important to look to for support and I hope he does consider this community to be one, too.

Thanks for all you do, Dana!
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    I just wanted to send my x-mas wishes out to Brians family. I hope that Brian is found soon.

I've been reading the whole thread, went through the website too.

I was wondering. I wouldn't be surprised if the police are holding back some info to separate genuine tips from people making stuff up to get the reward money and just crack pots in general...that said I have some questions...

1:55am Brian is seen on camera talking to his 2 friends...and 14 mins later they left without him. At some point in those 14 mins Brian had to have excused himself from the conversation. I'm wondering how he excused himself...what reason he gave, and how long he was gone for before they started searching the bar for him.
    Further to this...why did the friends wait such a short time before leaving. I know I've become separated from friends at a bar before and I looked A LOT longer than they did. We even split up and checked different area's. My point is this...Unless its a normal behaviour for him, I would never have just left after such a short time.
    I'm not blaming his friends for his disappearance at all...I just find it odd that they gave up so quickly.

Second: The bar has to have a shipping entrance where they bring supplies and booze up from. Could he have left that way, especially if he knew anyone who worked at the bar. I'm sure the bar said they never saw him, but if Brian did know someone there and they had something to do with the disappearance, they would lie about seeing him and here we are.

Third: I read that there is a movie theatre next door. Could he have become disoriented in his intoxicated state and wondered into there and out an alternate entrance they have? Or was it locked up for the night by then?

One other thought I had was...could he have passed out somewhere in or near the bar that is concealed and nobody noticed him...and when he came too he left down those escalaters...after the place was closed, ergo the survalence would have been turned off. Or if he passed out in a stall in the bathroom and the bar never did a proper check on close. He would have stumbled out...saw everything locked up and gone out that other, more dangerous exit.
    And then met whatever fate he did after leaving the premsis. I mean it was late so doubt there would have been many witnesses around...and any that were. would have also been intoxicated so they could have seen him and forgotten by the next morning.

As for the friend not taking the lie detector...that may be more his lawyer talking then him. I do find it odd though.
    Did the police ever do a proper search of that bar?? I dunno if they had grounds for a search warrant, but since he was never seen leaving, I would think that would be probable cause. Then again what do I know lol. I'm not a lawyer. I just think that whatever happened to him, started with that bar...and I hope that the bar isn't concealing anything to keep themselves from liability or something.

Anyways I've asked enough for today. I am praying that he is found soon, so that Alexis and his family can get the closure they desperately need. Obviously I hope that he is found alive, but either way at least you will KNOW and can move on :)
    Happy Holidays and I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but I think the more details that are out there, the better.

Best of Luck :)
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    Any news? Or is there a web site I can go to for updates?
    I'll be back
  • Options
    krobbinzkrobbinz Posts: 187
    bookmuse wrote:
    I know this has happened in Minnesota quite a bit but was unaware it was happening in other mid west cities.

I hope this is not the case.

I think Lacrosse WI is more like where this has been taking place. I guess it has to do with the location of the bars being near a river walk. Students have been getting a bit drunk and try to walk home and end up falling into the river.

With that being said, I pray for the family.
    East Troy 10/08/00 St. Paul 06/16/03 Chicago 5/17/06 St. Paul 6/26/06 St. Paul 6/27/06 Lollapalooza '07 Bonnaroo '08
    Chicago 8/23/09 Chicago 8/24/09 PJ 20 9/3/11 PJ 20 9/4/11 Milwaukee 10/20/14 Chicago 8/20/16 Chicago 8/22/16 Chicago 8/18/18 Chicago 8/20/18
  • Options
    Prayers & thoughts for family & friends
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    I was wondering. I wouldn't be surprised if the police are holding back some info to separate genuine tips from people making stuff up to get the reward money and just crack pots in general...that said I have some questions...

Who knows... It is quite possible that the police know more than they're saying, and i'm sure there's bogus info, but hopefully they're sorting the good info from the phony info.

1:55am Brian is seen on camera talking to his 2 friends...and 14 mins later they left without him. At some point in those 14 mins Brian had to have excused himself from the conversation. I'm wondering how he excused himself...what reason he gave, and how long he was gone for before they started searching the bar for him.
    Further to this...why did the friends wait such a short time before leaving. I know I've become separated from friends at a bar before and I looked A LOT longer than they did. We even split up and checked different areas. My point is this...Unless its a normal behaviour for him, I would never have just left after such a short time.
    I'm not blaming his friends for his disappearance at all...I just find it odd that they gave up so quickly.

Second: The bar has to have a shipping entrance where they bring supplies and booze up from. Could he have left that way, especially if he knew anyone who worked at the bar. I'm sure the bar said they never saw him, but if Brian did know someone there and they had something to do with the disappearance, they would lie about seeing him and here we are.

Third: I read that there is a movie theatre next door. Could he have become disoriented in his intoxicated state and wondered into there and out an alternate entrance they have? Or was it locked up for the night by then?

It's been a while since I spent time in this thread, and it's great to know that it hasn't been forgotten. :)

From the original post:
    There were three possible exits and two of them have cameras. The third was under heavy construction and would have been very tricky for an intoxicated person to travel through.

The timeframe:
    9:30 p.m.: Shaffer goes to Ugly Tuna Saloona, leaves after 30 minutes
    1:15 a.m.: Shaffer comes up escalators with friends Clint and Meredith
    1:55 a.m.: Shaffer is seen standing outside to the right of the bar, at top of escalators, talking to two friends. LAST VIDEO OF SHAFFER ANYWHERE
    2:09 a.m.: Clint and Meredith leave

One other thought I had was...could he have passed out somewhere in or near the bar that is concealed and nobody noticed him...and when he came too he left down those escalaters...after the place was closed, ergo the survalence would have been turned off. Or if he passed out in a stall in the bathroom and the bar never did a proper check on close. He would have stumbled out...saw everything locked up and gone out that other, more dangerous exit.

There's the main entrance at the bottom of escalators. You go up the escalators and either turn left for the movie theater, or turn right for the bar. At the time, there was another exit that was under heavy construction and would have been close to impossible for anyone intoxicated to leave through (it might have been locked.)

Assuming he did visit the bathroom, pass out, and not been found at closing, i'm sure any alarm system/motion detector would have found him. They might have had surveillance video of him at that point as well. (A video system to protect the bar from burglars.)
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Also...his story was mentioned in the usual "Year In Review" stories you find on the news towards the end of December.

Still nothing, but don't give up hope.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    maybe someone has mentioned it already but april fool's??? maybe its some prank he is pulling. i hope thats it.
  • Options
    maybe someone has mentioned it already but april fool's??? maybe its some prank he is pulling. i hope thats it.

If it was the case, it's gone on for way too long.

If someone wanted to pull such a prank, there'd be better ways to do such things than fake a disappearance to the point where authorities and psychics get involved.
  • Options
    If it was the case, it's gone on for way too long.

If someone wanted to pull such a prank, there'd be better ways to do such things than fake a disappearance to the point where authorities and psychics get involved.

yeah but considering some other things its not that bad.

i dont know what the police have said and havent read this whole thread. but there are so many questions. even from some of the 'facts'. like it says he called his girfriend who was with her mom. has this been proven? maybe she answer on a cell. so she could have been anywhere. what about those 2 girls that he is seen with? are their faces on camera is their a search for them? have they talked already? i know the one friend wont to the lie detector but have other people spoken on the whereabouts of the friends? if they were at clubs it would make things simplier.
    im sorry to say but no one just 'disappears' not all the leads could be dead ends.
  • Options
    I know this has been discussed before... but it's still bothering me about his friends.

If you were that drunk, would your friends really leave you alone? Were his friends also that drunk?

Something ain't right...and it still bothers me that the friend had to get a laywer and refuses to take the lie test.

Sometimes I wonder they are not telling the whole truth.

Also, notice how his friends never showed up in the media to tell their side of the story? Or did I miss this?

Wouldn't you want to be in the media to plead for the return of your friend?
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    IamMine wrote:
    I know this has been discussed before... but it's still bothering me about his friends.

If you were that drunk, would your friends really leave you alone? Were his friends also that drunk?

Something ain't right...and it still bothers me that the friend had to get a laywer and refuses to take the lie test.

Sometimes I wonder they are not telling the whole truth.

Also, notice how his friends never showed up in the media to tell their side of the story? Or did I miss this?

Wouldn't you want to be in the media to plead for the return of your friend?

Good points. You'd think either his friends would have kept by him in case he needed something. You'd also think that if there was any security/bouncer type people at the bar, they would have noticed something unless the bar really was packed. I think they were out celebrating the start of Spring Break, so it's quite possible that it was a packed bar.

And if the friend really didn't do it, then why doesn't he take the test?? And I don't think they showed up in the media either. All I remember seeing and hearing from were his parents and girlfriend Alexis.
  • Options
    Good points. You'd think either his friends would have kept by him in case he needed something. You'd also think that if there was any security/bouncer type people at the bar, they would have noticed something unless the bar really was packed. I think they were out celebrating the start of Spring Break, so it's quite possible that it was a packed bar.

And if the friend really didn't do it, then why doesn't he take the test?? And I don't think they showed up in the media either. All I remember seeing and hearing from were his parents and girlfriend Alexis.

Yes... and I also find it hard to believe that it was still packed at the end of the night - maybe I'm wrong, but almost every time I'm in a bar where I'm staying till the end, usually there are much less people.

And you just don't take off at the end without looking for your friend to say goodbye, would you?

Especially knowing he was very drunk.

Something fishy is going on.

Someone is not telling the truth here.
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    IamMine wrote:
    Yes... and I also find it hard to believe that it was still packed at the end of the night - maybe I'm wrong, but almost every time I'm in a bar where I'm staying till the end, usually there are much less people.

And you just don't take off at the end without looking for your friend to say goodbye, would you?

Especially knowing he was very drunk.

Something fishy is going on.

Someone is not telling the truth here.

Yeah, you'd think that there'd be fewer people at the bar at closing, even if it was at a campus bar at the start of spring break. It may not be packed to the brim, but it may not be just a few people standing around. I'm guessing they had to spend a few minutes clearing people out, but it was probably fairly easy to get from one side of the bar to the other... I don't know for sure, i'm just making a guess.

Based on the timeline:

1:15 a.m.: Shaffer comes up escalators with friends Clint and Meredith
    1:55 a.m.: Shaffer is seen standing outside to the right of the bar, at top of escalators, talking to two friends. LAST VIDEO OF SHAFFER ANYWHERE
    2:09 a.m.: Clint and Meredith leave

We don't even know if he left early. I don't know exactly where he lived, but it would have been possible for him to walk home... I do believe he lived nearby, but they most likely drove to the other bar they went to that night. I think the buses would have shut down by the time they went back to Ugly Tuna.

He could have been living nearby and just wanted to get out of there early. But the video would have seen him going down, if he did leave early.
  • Options
    That is even the more reason why those friends should have been questioned more.

I'd have bugged them to death if that happened to me... wanting to know exactly what the last words were exchanged... why did they leave without him?

Why get a laywer so soon after this happened? What are you afraid of?

Since I don't have the full footage to analyze, I'd be matching who came and left...as a process of elimination. Who left without being seen should be questioned - how did they leave without being seen?

I goggled and found the latest article posted on Dec 31st
    at: http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.php?story=dispatch/2006/12/31/20061231-A1-00.html

Missing med student: fiancee’s quest for hope

His barely-used soap rests in a dish on her bathroom shelf.

His purple toothbrush stands in a holder at the sink beside hers.

And though his cell phone continues kicking directly into voicemail, she still calls.

Alexis Waggoner remains a prisoner of the bewildering unknown.

There have been no breaks in the case of her missing boyfriend, Brian Shaffer, who disappeared April 1.

The pair, both Ohio State University medical students, planned to fly to Miami for a vacation on April 3. That week, she thought he might propose. Instead, it began what has become an unending search (Oct. 1, Page A1).

Sgt. John Hurst, of the Columbus Police Division’s special-victims unit, recently called the case "the most frustrating one I’ve ever dealt with in my life."

Waggoner, now 25, thrives largely on family and work. After spending the past several months rotating among specialties, she is considering a career in surgery.

She still types blogs for followers of the case. Some are almost written smiles, like the one about the Ohio State-Michigan football game.

So, for those people who sold their tickets… I am so sorry for them. That was such an awesome game to be at!

Others tell of pain, like an entry on Dec. 11.

I want to go downtown, or drive down High Street without almost driving off the road multiple times. I catch myself still looking at everyone walking down the street. The men with beards — I try to see their profile or how they walk to make sure it’s not Brian. I look between houses, and under steps to apartments.

Throughout the holidays, the coaster of emotions continued.

"Just not knowing anything," Waggoner said, "is the hardest part."

— Kristy Eckert

keckert@dispatch.com service

Would I be impolite if I emailed that writer and asked some questions regarding the friends?
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,779
    IamMine wrote:
    That is even the more reason why those friends should have been questioned more.

I'd have bugged them to death if that happened to me... wanting to know exactly what the last words were exchanged... why did they leave without him?

Why get a laywer so soon after this happened? What are you afraid of?

Since I don't have the full footage to analyze, I'd be matching who came and left...as a process of elimination. Who left without being seen should be questioned - how did they leave without being seen?

I goggled and found the latest article posted on Dec 31st
    at: http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.php?story=dispatch/2006/12/31/20061231-A1-00.html

Missing med student: fiancee’s quest for hope

His barely-used soap rests in a dish on her bathroom shelf.

His purple toothbrush stands in a holder at the sink beside hers.

And though his cell phone continues kicking directly into voicemail, she still calls.

Alexis Waggoner remains a prisoner of the bewildering unknown.

There have been no breaks in the case of her missing boyfriend, Brian Shaffer, who disappeared April 1.

The pair, both Ohio State University medical students, planned to fly to Miami for a vacation on April 3. That week, she thought he might propose. Instead, it began what has become an unending search (Oct. 1, Page A1).

Sgt. John Hurst, of the Columbus Police Division’s special-victims unit, recently called the case "the most frustrating one I’ve ever dealt with in my life."

Waggoner, now 25, thrives largely on family and work. After spending the past several months rotating among specialties, she is considering a career in surgery.

She still types blogs for followers of the case. Some are almost written smiles, like the one about the Ohio State-Michigan football game.

So, for those people who sold their tickets… I am so sorry for them. That was such an awesome game to be at!

Others tell of pain, like an entry on Dec. 11.

I want to go downtown, or drive down High Street without almost driving off the road multiple times. I catch myself still looking at everyone walking down the street. The men with beards — I try to see their profile or how they walk to make sure it’s not Brian. I look between houses, and under steps to apartments.

Throughout the holidays, the coaster of emotions continued.

"Just not knowing anything," Waggoner said, "is the hardest part."

— Kristy Eckert

keckert@dispatch.com service

Would I be impolite if I emailed that writer and asked some questions regarding the friends?

No I don't think so, it certainly seems to be some things that need to be cleared up; however, I don't know that she has the authority to provide you with any answers. And I can't imagine the officials investigating this case have not thought of everything that has been questioned here.

It's weird, almost two years ago now, two people left a bar on South Street in Philadelphia never to be seen again. It's like they disappeared off the face of the earth.

Every time I think about Brian, I can't help but thinking about them. Where are these people? You don't just disappear.

I can't imagine the pain and frustration of family and loved ones.
  • Options
    Thanks, Marsha. :)

I wrote to the reporter and here's what I found out:

Both of the friends Brian was last seen with hired attorneys. Meredith took a lie detector test and was found to be truthful in saying that she has no knowledge about Brian’s disappearance, according to police. Clint has refused to take a polygraph, and he did not return the reporter’s calls requesting an interview.

That's all I have.

Something IS up with Clint.

We know Randy, Brian's father, took the polygraph test as a standard.

What was Cliff's problem? What is he hiding? Why a lawyer? Why is he not talking to the media to help his friend?
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    IamMine wrote:
    What was Cliff's problem? What is he hiding? Why a lawyer? Why is he not talking to the media to help his friend?

Who knows... some people just get freaked when put in that situation...

I know if it was me, I might do the same thing.... I don't trust lie detector tests... I might accidentally fail it (I'm easy to manipulate - don't tell anyone... heh)....
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    Who knows... some people just get freaked when put in that situation...

I know if it was me, I might do the same thing.... I don't trust lie detector tests... I might accidentally fail it (I'm easy to manipulate - don't tell anyone... heh)....

Ok...but...refusing to cooperate with the police?

Not coming to the media at all to explain the last minutes of seeing your friend and wishing for his return?

That I don't understand.

He's hiding something.
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    juannisjuannis Posts: 73
    i 100 percent agree that something isn't right about the two friends. they must have some sort of information, or are holding something back. what they need is an interrogation. clint especially is not acting normal for someone who supposidly was brian's frined. i don't trust lie detectors either but i think if some hard core pressure was put on clint, he would crack. is clint the type of person who would deny talking and not coorporate??? or is this out of charactor for him. i'm sorry but if it were my best friend who dissappeared and the one who saw him last wasn't cooperating with officials, i would think he needs to have his eyes opened one way or another. pain will force anyone to talk.
    No time to be void and save up on life, you gotta spend it all.

10/4/96, 9/11/98, 8/25/00, 8/27/00, 8/30/00, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 7/3/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/3/06, 10/22/06, 8/5/07, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 8/2/08 (EV)
  • Options
    juannisjuannis Posts: 73
    also, what was his motive for getting a lawyer so quickly, and why wont he talk or take a lie test. clint is either guilty or protecting someone else who is guilty. med students just don't dissappear from a great life to get away and start over. come on people.
    No time to be void and save up on life, you gotta spend it all.

10/4/96, 9/11/98, 8/25/00, 8/27/00, 8/30/00, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 7/3/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/3/06, 10/22/06, 8/5/07, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 8/2/08 (EV)
  • Options
    Some people just freak out under pressure. Maybe he feels so much strain about the situation that he doesn't want to be hooked up to a machine and be called a a liar.

I'd be real careful in what I say about someone. Even hinting around that someone might be a murderer based on NO evidence is scary.