The Police-Reunion!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    cutback wrote:
    damn straight......also let's face it the majority of police fans are in their mid-30's and older.....we should be able to afford the prices....:)

I'm 24 and I like the Police, and would like to see them, but $300 is a freakin joke, you yuppies enjoy the shows though :) I'll pay $300 to go see 6 mind blowing concerts this summer!
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    stewart's the best.....:)

Copeland wants Police to break rules at Bonnaroo

05/22/2007 7:42 PM, Reuters
    Jonathan Cohen

He may not be able to convince his bandmates, but Police drummer Stewart Copeland wants "the rules to be completely different" for the reunited trio at its upcoming Bonnaroo performance, including possible guest appearances from other artists.

The group's first reunion show is Sunday (May 27) in Vancouver; it will headline Bonnaroo on June 16 in Manchester, Tenn.

"When the stakes are really high, we always come out of the box swinging," Copeland said of high-profile gigs like Bonnaroo during a conference call with journalists on Tuesday. "Sting and (guitarist) Andy (Summers) are two guys who just don't back down. The bigger the prize, the harder they fight."

That said, Copeland is trying to help Sting and Summers understand that the hardcore Police fans will be coming to more than one show on the reunion tour, and, as such, will be expecting the set list to change regularly.

"We've got a fairly rehearsed set," he said. "(But) those people who bought most of the tickets for most of the shows are not normal people. They're like the people who bought all the Oysterhead tickets because of Trey (Anastasio). Those type of people, I think, buy more than one show. I'm trying to get that through to my buddies so that we change it up a little bit."

Copeland admits that it will take him awhile to get used to playing in front of such large crowds. "The kinetic ritual of it is really startling," he said. "If you're at the focal point of all that return energy, that kind of makes your heart pump a little faster. It takes about two hours after the show for your heart rate to return to normal. I have to stand under a cold shower for 20 minutes before returning to a normal humanity."

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/22395949
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    Stewart is an amazing drummer.....and I really hope he convinces Andy and Sting to mix up the set lists......The last group I saw on back to nights other than PJ was the Stones and they played a grand total of two songs different between the two nights!
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
    The audio isn't great but the video link shows the boys rehearsing on their new stage in North Van yesterday.... you can hear them playing Truth Hits Everybody! :D

http://www.rock101.com/multimedia/video_gallery.cfm?rem=73984&jor=73984#video
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
    Hawkshore wrote:
    The audio isn't great but the video link shows the boys rehearsing on their new stage in North Van yesterday.... you can hear them playing Truth Hits Everybody! :D

http://www.rock101.com/multimedia/video_gallery.cfm?rem=73984&jor=73984#video

that just gave me goosebumps.......:D:D
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    sweet-

got my AC tickets-

there are plenty still available ,

all price levels except the 50 dollar tix.

i settled for 2 onehundred bucks , next to the stage.

Police in Atlantic City Tickets

i hope our fellow fans that have already seen the show
    can fill us in on the "open stage" settup . :confused:

enjoy !

Well they blew up the chicken man in Philly last night now they blew up his house too
    Down on the boardwalk they're gettin' ready for a fight gonna see what them racket boys can do

Now there's trouble busin' in from outta state and the D.A. can't get no relief
    Gonna be a rumble out on the promenade and the gamblin' commission's hangin' on by the skin of its teeth

(Chorus)
    Well now everything dies baby that's a fact
    But maybe everything that dies someday comes back
    Put your makeup on fix your hair up pretty
    And meet me tonight in Atlantic City

Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
    But I got debts that no honest man can pay
    So I drew what I had from the Central Trust
    And I bought us two tickets on that Coast City bus

(Chorus)

Now our luck may have died and our love may be cold but with you forever I'll stay
    We're goin' out where the sand's turnin' to gold so put on your stockin's baby `cause the night's getting cold
    And everything dies baby that's a fact

Now I been lookin' for a job but it's hard to find
    Down here it's just winners and losers and don't get caught on the wrong side of that line
    Well I'm tired of comin' out on the losin' end
    So honey last night I met this guy and I'm gonna do a little favor for him
    Well I guess everything dies baby that's a fact
    Put your hair up nice and set up pretty
    and meet me tonight in Atlantic City
    Meet me tonight in Atlantic City
    Meet me tonight in Atlantic City
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • is any new material going to come from this or is this just a one off tour, I would really like some new police material.
    is any new material going to come from this or is this just a one off tour, I would really like some new police material.

although they haven't ruled it out, at this point it's just the tour......we'll see what happens after the tour.....:)
    the boys cant sell out atlantic city new jersey ?

at this phenomenal venue ?

1 night , 1 show ?

wtf ?

i know pearl jam would have sold out in one half second.

wtf ? :confused:
    platessmall.jpg
    c'mon fellas ( and gals )

whats the " open stage " look like ?

Opening Night warmup show

05.28.07 Police wow fans at Vancouver preview concert...
    The Police previewed their world tour with a stunning show last night at Vancouver's GM Place in front of an audience of 4,000 fan club members.
    There are plenty of reviews on the message boards to check out if you want to find out the set lists etc so visit the community area for more information.

A big thank to you the 200 fan club members who attended the pre-show party at the Brewhouse Grill yesterday and raised an incredible $3,910 for Wateraid in a little over 30 minutes! A big thank you to everyone that attended and contributed so generously. Among the prizes were front row tickets for last night's show, front row tickets for tonight's show, signed drum covers, as well as signed CD's and posters.
    platessmall.jpg
    from thepolice.com

May 27, 2007 Fan Club Show

1948: Message in a Bottle
    1954: Synchronicity II
    2000: Don't Stand So Close to Me
    2005: Voices / When the World is Running Down
    2012: Spirits in the Material World
    2016: Driven to Tears
    2021: Walking on the Moon
    2028: Truth Hits Everybody
    2032: Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
    2037: GONG -- Wrapped Around Your Finger
    2044: Bed's Too Big Without You
    2049: Murder By Numbers
    2055: De Do Do Do De Da Da Da
    2100: Invisible Sun
    2105: Walking in Your Footsteps
    2110: I Can't Stand Losing You
    2116: Roxanne
    2123: **GOODNIGHT**
    Stings comes back in long sleeve open black shirt showing off how fit he is (no shirt worn underneath), then:
    2125: King of Pain
    2131: So Lonely
    2138: Every Breath You Take
    2143: **THANK YOU GOODNIGHT**
    2144: Next to You
    2148: BOWS -- Sting particularly seemed quite emotional / happy with the response / tears in his eyes. Sting hugged Stewart and Andy.
    2149: LIGHTS ON // SHOW OVER

the fan reviews are generally good.....some people didn't like some of the reworking of some songs particularly Every Little Thing.....but all and all the band sounded awesome and i think should get better as they get more shows under their belt..............:)
    cutback wrote:
    from thepolice.com

May 27, 2007 Fan Club Show

1948: Message in a Bottle
    1954: Synchronicity II
    2000: Don't Stand So Close to Me
    2005: Voices / When the World is Running Down
    2012: Spirits in the Material World
    2016: Driven to Tears
    2021: Walking on the Moon
    2028: Truth Hits Everybody
    2032: Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
    2037: GONG -- Wrapped Around Your Finger
    2044: Bed's Too Big Without You
    2049: Murder By Numbers
    2055: De Do Do Do De Da Da Da
    2100: Invisible Sun
    2105: Walking in Your Footsteps
    2110: I Can't Stand Losing You
    2116: Roxanne
    2123: **GOODNIGHT**
    Stings comes back in long sleeve open black shirt showing off how fit he is (no shirt worn underneath), then:
    2125: King of Pain
    2131: So Lonely
    2138: Every Breath You Take
    2143: **THANK YOU GOODNIGHT**
    2144: Next to You
    2148: BOWS -- Sting particularly seemed quite emotional / happy with the response / tears in his eyes. Sting hugged Stewart and Andy.
    2149: LIGHTS ON // SHOW OVER

the fan reviews are generally good.....some people didn't like some of the reworking of some songs particularly Every Little Thing.....but all and all the band sounded awesome and i think should get better as they get more shows under their belt..............:)

awesome ! :eek: :eek: :eek:

i cant wait to hear :

( well, all of them ) but i really wanna hear :

beds too big without you
    voices
    so lonely
    walking on the moon.

totally psyched !

( still fucking seats available for AC ? Thats just sad )
    platessmall.jpg
    here's some short videos from last nights show..........:D:D:D:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=benfrith
    05.29.07 Police Tour latest: New dates confirmed for New York (Oct 31) and Boston (Nov 11)...

The Police Tour Fan Club presale for these shows will take place on Thursday, May 31 from 10am (local time).
    The Police Tour Fan Club is delighted to confirm two further shows on the Police's world tour, as follows:

31 Oct Madison Square Garden, New York City NY
    11 Nov TD BankNorth Garden, Boston NY

The Police Tour Fan Club presale for these shows will take place on Thursday, May 31 from 10am (local time). Head to ThePoliceTour.com Tickets at this time to purchase your tickets.

You must be a member to participate in any presales. If you are not a member yet you can find out more information Here. The public sale for these shows will start at Monday, June 4 at 9am local time for the New York show and 10am local time for the Boston show.
    cutback wrote:
    05.29.07 Police Tour latest: New dates confirmed for New York (Oct 31) and Boston (Nov 11)...

The Police Tour Fan Club presale for these shows will take place on Thursday, May 31 from 10am (local time).
    The Police Tour Fan Club is delighted to confirm two further shows on the Police's world tour, as follows:

31 Oct Madison Square Garden, New York City NY
    11 Nov TD BankNorth Garden, Boston NY

The Police Tour Fan Club presale for these shows will take place on Thursday, May 31 from 10am (local time). Head to ThePoliceTour.com Tickets at this time to purchase your tickets.

You must be a member to participate in any presales. If you are not a member yet you can find out more information Here. The public sale for these shows will start at Monday, June 4 at 9am local time for the New York show and 10am local time for the Boston show.

f'n sweet !

i didnt get in to the first set of MSG shows- oh how i was yearning to hear them inside that venue.

looks like ill get tosee/hear them there,

awesome.

i think after this 3rd show for me, that will be it . it wont be long till Bruce and then Pearl Jam come around again.

:)
    platessmall.jpg
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    the boys cant sell out atlantic city new jersey ?

at this phenomenal venue ?

1 night , 1 show ?

wtf ?

i know pearl jam would have sold out in one half second.

wtf ? :confused:

I noticed something that also
    I was able to pull 20th row at about 10:30-$350 a pop, just couldnt do it.
    VERY strange
    Also, TM bumped me off for refreshing too many times just prior to the onsale.
    Took me about five minutes to get back on-I was fuming.
    I have never seen that.

Suprisingly easy to get tix.
    I went for the $225, which got me second level, side stage. Im pretty happy about it.

Probably the smallest venue on the tour, sat night in AC.
    Cant believe it was so easy to get tix.
    Either the prices scared a lot of people away (including flippers/brokers), or nobody wants to go to AC

go figure
    Get_Right wrote:
    I noticed something that also
    I was able to pull 20th row at about 10:30-$350 a pop, just couldnt do it.
    VERY strange
    Also, TM bumped me off for refreshing too many times just prior to the onsale.
    Took me about five minutes to get back on-I was fuming.
    I have never seen that.

I went for the $225, which got me second level, side stage. Im pretty happy about it.

Either the prices scared a lot of people away (including flippers/brokers), or nobody wants to go to AC

go figure

the few shows i have been to this venue- i was pleasantly suprised about how good, how rich the sound was.

it is a smaller venue ( i think its used for shows , basketball, hockey ) and every seat is pretty good.

i got sidestage also- sec 202, but i only paid 100 Bucks.

hopefully, the stage is truly " open " .

the rates for a hotel room are absolutely insane on the boardwalk on a saturday night. needless to say - this place is actually connected to the trump plaza- but the prices there are ridiculous .

i got lucky and found a decent room, right on the boards, ( about 10 blocks off ) for only 179 .

anyone interested can go to

http://www.atlantic-city-online.com

the place i got is the fanta-sea resorts / atlantic highlands.

good luck everyone !
    most of the ritzier places go fro 200- 350 a night ( saturday )
    platessmall.jpg
    The buzz around the city and in particular in the building was amazing....Very diverse crowd obviously given the act and the ticket prices it was a little more skewed to the 30 to 50 age range but you still had a fair share of teenagers and really old timers. Didn't get a chance to see Fiction Plane open spent that time having a few cold ones while watching the third period of the game.

The Police came on at about 9:00....Stuart has a second percussion set up that is at a level bellow the rest of the stage. The show begins with Sting, Andy and Stewart coming up from below the stage on this secondary percussion plat form. The opened up with Message in a Bottle the crowd went nuts! They played I believe the identical set list to the Fan club show the night before so you got an excellent mix from all albums....and not just the hits. Last night we were seated almost directly behind Stuart about 14 rows up. It was amazing to see a drummer of that caliber up that close!!!
    The stage was completely open and very clean with platforms that go all the way around the back. Andy and Sting took advantage of this several time to play to and to acknowledge the crowd in the backseat. The band sounded a lot tighter than I thought they would and really seemed to be genuinely enjoying the experience......Hopefully they are still feeling that way about each other after playing non stop for a couple of months :) . Andy had a great show last night with several memorable solos.....At one point Sting remarked welcome to the Andy Summers show! Sting looked amazingly fit and drank out of a tea cup during the show.....Now what was in that tea cup ;)
    The second encore ended with a raucous version of Next to You.....and the crowd roared with approval.....One of the loudest reactions I've heard at GM Place.....Not too bad for a bunch of old farts!!! Great show but I’m hoping they mix up the set list a bit for tomorrow night.
    Hawkshore wrote:
    The stage was completely open and very clean with platforms that go all the way around the back. Andy and Sting took advantage of this several time to play to and to acknowledge the crowd in the backseat. .

thanks so muich for this info.

i have at least 1 show kinda rear / side view- was wondering about this " open stage " setup.

sounds like very little will obstruct the viewlines, ( whered they put the speaker setups ? )

thanks again.
    platessmall.jpg
    http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=fb278add-7e14-41f4-8c58-d0d7002d69e2&k=57832

Police rock
    The Police kick off their reunion tour at GM Place

Amy O'Brian
    Vancouver Sun

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

CREDIT: Peter Battistoni/Vancouver Sun
    Sting

With the bang of a gong - which is so very '80s in and of itself - The Police kicked off their 100-plus date reunion tour at GM Place Monday night.

Women in their 40s shrieked and screamed as Sting launched into the familiar first notes of Message in a Bottle without a hint of hesitation. Guys in backwards baseball caps punched the air as drummer Stewart Copeland fiercely banged his drums with a joy that appeared to be equal to that of a small boy being allowed to make a roaring racket.

And with that, the Police - who once claimed the title of biggest band in the world - set the tone for what would be two full hours of confident and skilled performing from a band that called it quits 23 years ago.

About 20,000 people ranging in age from 10 to 70 filled the stuffy arena for the first look at this year's biggest comeback band. And instead of finding a modern-day reincarnation of the '80s trio, Monday's concert experience - I imagine - was a bit like being picked up and plunked down in the midst of the Police's 1983 Synchronicity tour.

Copeland's hair is now peppered with grey, but it was kept out of his eyes with a retro sweatband. He kept his pants in place with a studded belt and wore what looked like a black and red cycling shirt. His tongue darted out the left side of his mouth and his eyes bulged when he was working his hardest.

Sting looks like he's barely aged two years in the past 20 and proved his voice can still hit those high notes on Roxanne. And guitarist Andy Summers, wearing polished dress shoes and pressed pants, appeared a bit small for the stage, but made up for it with his lengthy and impressive guitar solos.

Mostly though, the band was able to turn back time with their string of No. 1 hits and the boyish joy each showed on their face as they vigorously made their way through the 20-song set.

They just seemed so happy to be back - so happy that people still wanted to stay out until 11 p.m. on a Monday night and pay up to $225 a ticket to see them play, that journalists had flown in from Los Angeles and Europe to witness this first performance, and that nearly every person in the crowd knew the words to at least a third of the songs.

The floor of the arena vibrated from the impact of the thousands of bodies bouncing to Every Little Thing She Does is Magic - even if it progressed into an almost unrecognizable tune as the band messed with its beat and phrasing.

But the crowd cheered on, with those closer to the stage standing throughout the entire show.
    An elaborate percussion platform rose from the depths of the stage for Wrapped Around Your Finger, where Copeland tickled the chimes and the xylophone as a sea of bright crawling lights moved over the crowd.

The audience cheered when Sting introduced Murder by Numbers by informing the crowd that "back in 1983. . .the Reverend Jimmy Swaggart decided this song was written by the devil himself."

And people went berserk when the first recognizable bass notes of Roxanne bounced through the arena. The trio held onto the song - which was the last before the encore - perhaps a little too long, but when Sting had had his fill of belting out the famous name, the crowd only cheered for more.

The night was filled with heady nostalgia and the infectious enthusiasm of three 50-plus men who seemed so deliriously happy to be back in the limelight that it was easy to forget about their age.

The Police managed to write songs that are recognizable within the first few bars and have clearly stood the test of time.

They performed a three-song encore that included King of Pain and Every Breath You Take and came back out for a second encore just before 11 p.m.

"I take it you want more," Sting said.
    A technicolor wash lit the audience as the band launched into Next to You and while a handful of people chose to leave to avoid the inevitable traffic jam outside, the majority of the crowd stood to see just how long the band would go.

But the Police decided to end the evening on a high note, holding their clasped hands high in the air before taking deep bow. They embraced in a hug that endearingly betrayed any insecurities they might have had before this comeback, Copeland screamed into his microphone and it was obvious to all that the night was a success.
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    thanks so muich for this info.

i have at least 1 show kinda rear / side view- was wondering about this " open stage " setup.

sounds like very little will obstruct the viewlines, ( whered they put the speaker setups ? )

thanks again.

The speakers were at the top the stage...and were covered with what looked like a mesh that they were able to project images from..but they were not very obtrusive at all. The only sight lines that might be compromised would be on a couple of songs....Walking on the Moon was one they had these light pods that came out of the stage about 25 to 30 feet up that could interfere with your view somewhat if you were seated close to them.

As a bonus for those seated in the back they had a video screen.

The stage set up for the stadium shows will be a little different as the stage is closed from behind with three large video panels behind each member. The video link of the rehearsal I posted earlier in this thread has the stadium stage configuration.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    the few shows i have been to this venue- i was pleasantly suprised about how good, how rich the sound was.

it is a smaller venue ( i think its used for shows , basketball, hockey ) and every seat is pretty good.

i got sidestage also- sec 202, but i only paid 100 Bucks.

hopefully, the stage is truly " open " .

the rates for a hotel room are absolutely insane on the boardwalk on a saturday night. needless to say - this place is actually connected to the trump plaza- but the prices there are ridiculous .

i got lucky and found a decent room, right on the boards, ( about 10 blocks off ) for only 179 .

anyone interested can go to

http://www.atlantic-city-online.com

the place i got is the fanta-sea resorts / atlantic highlands.

good luck everyone !
    most of the ritzier places go fro 200- 350 a night ( saturday )

Im staying with a buddy that lives about 45 mins away

damn, I got 203 and they were $225, only one section over, but in front of the stage rather than right on the side.
    Perhaps Ill see you there. Should be a good time, and hopefully, by November, the band will be really tight.
    cutback wrote:

niiiiiiice

thanks for sharing.

the boys look great, hope they sound the same.

boy that looks like a UFO in the first one-

totally getting more and more psyched as each day passes and it gets closer to the right coast shows ( MSG , giants stadium , ac ) august will come quickly ( hopefully )
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    niiiiiiice

thanks for sharing.

the boys look great, hope they sound the same.

boy that looks like a UFO in the first one-

totally getting more and more psyched as each day passes and it gets closer to the right coast shows ( MSG , giants stadium , ac ) august will come quickly ( hopefully )

yeah on the police boards they were saying that there were no probs with cameras so this should be a well documented tour..;).....i'd be going nuts if i knew i had to wait 'til august....:eek:....and if i didn't hate air travel i'd go to the ac show....sounds like a cool venue....:)
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070529/music_nm/police_dc_4;_ylt=AknwM0Rc4kDto9UF4gTT.iQE1vAI

"The band's plans beyond that are the subject of some internal disagreement. Summers recently told Guitar Player magazine that the "obvious thing" to do would be to make another album and then return to the road.

But Copeland told Reuters last week that he had no desire right now to do those things, and was simply looking forward to having "a blast for one year."

i think i agree with stewart.....
  • thesovietthesoviet Posts: 41
    what a showwww!! i got 8th row seats the day before...what a lucky find!
    i cannot stop the thought.......running in the dark

Vancouver 9/2/05
    Gorge 7/22/06
    Gorge 7/23/06
    EV Vancouver 2 04/06/08
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    Vancouver kicked ass last night. The boys sounded great! They'd look at each other from time to time and you'd see a smile form. They definitely enjoyed performing and were totally into it. Andy was a madman, soloing all over the place.

Can't wait for the 2 Seattle shows next week!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,711
    Get_Right wrote:

go figure
    I think the market is becoming saturated.
    Word is that tix were plentiful and cheap on the streets of Vancouver (like $10 tix cheap).
    It sounds like the brokers/amateur ebay scalpers of the world have been fueling many of the sell outs of the tour, if they are having trouble moving what they are holding, then they may stay away from subsequent on sales in markets already having shows or nearby shows (like the AC show, and the upcoming MSG and Boston sales), so tix may be easier to obtain for those.
    (So Bath you may get some MSG tix after all)

And anyone who wants to go but has no tix for a show, watch the secondary markets closely, prices may drop dramatically close to show date if Vancouver is an indication.
    This weekend we rock Portland