Options

guns n' roses

Comments

• Options
    Went to the G'N'R show Halloween night.

Two words.

FUCKING AMAZING!

Although the band didn't get on stage until 12 (which on a weekend wouldn't have been a big deal but on a Tuesday, sucked) they were very impressing. Axl still has it. The guitarist were all badass, although I enjoyed Robin Finck's stage presence the most. That dude just looked like he was happy to be playing.

First song was welcome to the jungle and man, when Finck came out and kept teasing us with the opening riff...everyone fucking went nuts.

Rob Thal's instrumental version of "Don't You Cry" was very awesome.

Simply put...it was a fucking awesome show.

Here is Guns N' Roses set list:

"Welcome To The Jungle"
    "It's So Easy"
    "Mr. Brownstone"
    "Better"
    Robin Finck solo
    "Sweet Child O' Mine"
    "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"
    "You Could Be Mine"
    Dizzy Reed solo
    "The Blues"
    Richard Fortus solo (includes "Beautiful" Yes, Beautiful by Christina Aguwhatever)
    "Out Ta Get Me"
    "November Rain"
    Bumblefoot solo (includes "Don't Cry")
    "My Michelle" (with Sebastian Bach)
    "Patience"
    "Nightrain"
    "Paradise City"
  • Options
    Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    Went to the G'N'R show Halloween night.

Two words.

FUCKING AMAZING!

Although the band didn't get on stage until 12 (which on a weekend wouldn't have been a big deal but on a Tuesday, sucked) they were very impressing. Axl still has it. The guitarist were all badass, although I enjoyed Robin Finck's stage presence the most. That dude just looked like he was happy to be playing.

First song was welcome to the jungle and man, when Finck came out and kept teasing us with the opening riff...everyone fucking went nuts.

Rob Thal's instrumental version of "Don't You Cry" was very awesome.

Simply put...it was a fucking awesome show.

Here is Guns N' Roses set list:

"Welcome To The Jungle"
    "It's So Easy"
    "Mr. Brownstone"
    "Better"
    Robin Finck solo
    "Sweet Child O' Mine"
    "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"
    "You Could Be Mine"
    Dizzy Reed solo
    "The Blues"
    Richard Fortus solo (includes "Beautiful" Yes, Beautiful by Christina Aguwhatever)
    "Out Ta Get Me"
    "November Rain"
    Bumblefoot solo (includes "Don't Cry")
    "My Michelle" (with Sebastian Bach)
    "Patience"
    "Nightrain"
    "Paradise City"

Whoa...so they didn't play "Live and Let Die"???
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    Whoa...so they didn't play "Live and Let Die"???

Wow I didn't even notice that. I copy and pasted the setlist. Yea, they played L.A.L.D. Now I'ma haveta recheck the entire list. Sorry guys.
  • Options
    LynnLynn Posts: 47
    Vedderlution_baby! I heard that they always start late.

What was show time (not doors) on your ticket?
  • Options
    Lynn wrote:
    Vedderlution_baby! I heard that they always start late.

What was show time (not doors) on your ticket?

yes, they always start LATE AT NIGHT. But that does not make them LATE, as in they did not show up on time. Because if they are consistantly on stage late at night, then that should be considered when they always/normally/usually go on. you get my point....
    Whats got the whole world faking?
  • Options
    LynnLynn Posts: 47
    well....yeah. I want to know if I should arrive 4 hours after show time. I have trouble staying away past 10.
  • Options
    Oh I knew they weren't going to be on until about 11 or 12. I didn't have a problem with it (I had to leave early though. had class in the morning and had to drive back home.... hour and a half away.) The time on my ticket says 8:00 but I knew that shit wasn't going to happen. Like I said before, the time thing wouldn't have been a big deal except that it was on a tuesday...so that sucked.
  • Options
    Dude that video of TWAT...the guitarist playing that solo at the end needed to be shot, I've never seen so much worthless shredding in my life. And Axl...I don't know, he doesn't seem like he's anything special anymore, its all reputation. He hit a nice scream late in the song but the rest of it he sounded like he was saving his voice for it, honestly. The new songs are kinda good though, Catcher in the Rye is surprisingly good, even though its weird as fuck.
  • Options
    Well, I went to the show last night in Greensboro and was blown away as expected. I don't have the setlist in front of me but they played Rocket Queen which they haven't been playing every night so I was very happy, plus they did a total of 5 new songs: Better, IRS, The Blues, Madagascar, and Chinese Democracy. I would've like to have seen There Was A Time, but I can't complain.

The guys went on at 11:40 and played till 2:05. And for all the naysayers who don't take this version of the band seriously, they simply don't have a clue. They put on one hell of a show and play their asses off. The only think I regret is not standing about 5 feet more to my left when Axl tossed out his mic at the end of show because if I had, it would've been mine.
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I don't have the setlist in front of me but they played Rocket Queen

YES! The ideal for me would be that on Sunday when I see them, they drop Knockin on Heaven's Door and play Rocket Queen... KoHD is a snooze-fest.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    DOSW wrote:
    YES! The ideal for me would be that on Sunday when I see them, they drop Knockin on Heaven's Door and play Rocket Queen... KoHD is a snooze-fest.

I always thought Knocking and Live and Let Die should be dropped from all live sets and replaced with some of the more obscure Illusion songs

It's like, ok - you did terrific covers of these songs, and basically own them now, but what is the point of playing them live? Those two live amount to about 10 minutes....fucking replace that crap with Coma!
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    I am seeing Guns N Roses tonight in Huntington WV....going with longtime buddies from high school...can't wait!

I have to haul ass after work from Cincy to Huntington, though. I want to see Sebastian Bach.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    holtzholtz Posts: 509
    I don't have the setlist in front of me

They haven't been playing RQ and Madagascar much so that was nice plus it was this band has only played You're Crazy twice before at acoustic shows so that was a real nice suprise.

1. Welcome To The Jungle
    2. It's So Easy
    3. Mr. Brownstone
    4. Live and Let Die
    5. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
    6. Better
    7. Sweet Child O' Mine
    8. You Could Be Mine
    9. Dizzy Reed Piano Solo
    10. The Blues
    11. Band Jam
    12. Guitar Solo ("slow, sweet")
    13. Out Ta Get Me
    14. I.R.S.
    15. Jam (Axl On Piano)
    16. November Rain
    17. Bumblefoot Solo (Don't Cry)
    18. Rocket Queen
    19. Madagascar
    20. My Michelle (With Sebastian Bach)
    21. You're Crazy
    22. Patience
    23. Nightrain

Encore:

24. Chinese Democracy
    25. Paradise City
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    It's like, ok - you did terrific covers of these songs, and basically own them now, but what is the point of playing them live? Those two live amount to about 10 minutes....fucking replace that crap with Coma!

I think I'd die if that was played live. But I bet he couldn't even sing that without reading the teleprompter line by line... he's not like me, who can rattle off that entire song by memory. :)
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    I always thought Knocking and Live and Let Die should be dropped from all live sets and replaced with some of the more obscure Illusion songs

I will say that I really miss the old way they used to do KOHD and could've done without it last night. Ironically though, I was totally blown away by Live and Let Die. I know that sounds weird because I saw them do it 93 and nothing stood out to me then, but they rocked that song in ways I didn't think possible. I definitely didn't expect THAT to be one of the highlights, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't.
  • Options
    I will say that I really miss the old way they used to do KOHD and could've done without it last night. Ironically though, I was totally blown away by Live and Let Die. I know that sounds weird because I saw them do it 93 and nothing stood out to me then, but they rocked that song in ways I didn't think possible. I definitely didn't expect THAT to be one of the highlights, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't.

Cool man. It definitely is not one of my favorites, but I could see it rocking -
    I'm going to MSG in a week -
    How did the show draw down there? 1/2 packed house? 3/4?
    I'll keep taking punches
  • Options

I feel the same way. when i saw them at Hammerstein, one of the highlights was LALD. I think it was because of Axl's scream...being there to witness it live was incredable.
  • Options
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    Cool man. It definitely is not one of my favorites, but I could see it rocking -
    I'm going to MSG in a week -
    How did the show draw down there? 1/2 packed house? 3/4?

The floor was only about 1/2 full and the seats were about 3/4. It supposedly was one of the weaker selling shows, but the band didn't let if affect them one bit. I don't know if it was because they were off the night before or what, but the fact that they played for 2.5 hours after going on so late just blew me away.
    I feel the same way. when i saw them at Hammerstein, one of the highlights was LALD. I think it was because of Axl's scream...being there to witness it live was incredable.

Yeah, Axl absolutely nailed the screams and that definitely helped put it over the top.
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    I am seeing Guns N Roses tonight in Huntington WV....going with longtime buddies from high school...can't wait!

I have to haul ass after work from Cincy to Huntington, though. I want to see Sebastian Bach.

Looks like this guy got a great show, they just did Down on the Farm, only the second time they've ever played it and last time was over 16 years ago!
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    holtz wrote:
    Looks like this guy got a great show, they just did Down on the Farm, only the second time they've ever played it and last time was over 16 years ago!
    yeh!
    heard Axl sang it with the english accent too lol..
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    yeh!
    heard Axl sang it with the english accent too lol..

It'll be interesting to hear how they did it, the Farm Aid version will be hard to top, Axl sang it perfect that time.
  • Options
    holtz wrote:

Fuck an A "this guy" got a great show! :D I couldn't believe it when they went into Down on the Farm...that was just kickass.

Axl N Roses put on an incredible show. I've never seen a man take such control of the stage with his presence, energy, and vocal ability. Axl sounded so powerful, he could scream in key with such intensity. The stage was cool, the setlist was great, and the band sounded awesome. The Huntington Civic Center was packed and I kept running into folks from high school, haha. The crowd was surprisingly split 50/50 among males & females.

Not bad beer prices, either - two large beers for $7!!

The new stuff sounded great. I can't wait to hear final studio versions if/when Chinese Democracy finally comes out. I'll write more later when I've had time to reflect. I was blown away and anyone who likes any era of GNR should go check out GNR v2.0.
  • Options
    I guess people are wondering why they'd bother playing such small venues ( probably knowing it'd be around 6-8K showing up) - but they are kind of starting over - even with the name being as big as it is - Madison Square Grden will be packed, but I'm starting to hear the buzz again ( radio, boards, etc.) about GNR, so I think this tour is just about getting the name out there again, and from reading here and elsewhere it looks like they are completely focused putting on one kick-ass Rock show regardless of the size of the crowd
    I'll keep taking punches
  • Options
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    I guess people are wondering why they'd bother playing such small venues ( probably knowing it'd be around 6-8K showing up) - but they are kind of starting over - even with the name being as big as it is - Madison Square Grden will be packed, but I'm starting to hear the buzz again ( radio, boards, etc.) about GNR, so I think this tour is just about getting the name out there again, and from reading here and elsewhere it looks like they are completely focused putting on one kick-ass Rock show regardless of the size of the crowd

That has to be it. We couldn't believe they were playing at the fucking Huntington Civic Center. My grad class was 114, and graduation was held at the Hton Civic Center!! Fanch played the HCC before GNR did! Ha!

It was surreal. The whole night my buddies and I were looking at each other, saying, "I can't believe GNR is playing here." But you are right, sir, they didn't stiff us for being a smaller (while packed) venue. When they wrapped up at 1:45am, there seats empty that were packed earlier. GNR outlasted some of its fans. That is impressive.
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    That has to be it. We couldn't believe they were playing at the fucking Huntington Civic Center. My grad class was 114, and graduation was held at the Hton Civic Center!! Fanch played the HCC before GNR did! Ha!

When I saw this pic sent from the show last night it made me think of when I saw PJ in THunder Bay! Small venues are great, especially when the crowd is into it.

http://home.comcast.net/~gunsnrockmusic/pics/crowd.jpg
  • Options

Same here with both songs :)

Live and Let Die definitely blew me away live, and now I appreciate it a lot more :D

Kohd, well...I REALLY missed the "hey, hey, hey hey yeah" 's. That's the only cool thing about the song that gave it more power or something :p otherwise, like someone said before, it's a snooze-fest.

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    fanch75 wrote:
    I've never seen a man take such control of the stage with his presence, energy, and vocal ability.

I have. Eddie vedder.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    iluvcats wrote:
    I have. Eddie vedder.

I'll believe it when I see it ;) haha :D

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    I'll believe it when I see it ;) haha :D

Ok, so I saw GNR and PJ within 2 weeks of each other. And while the PJ concert was INCREDIBLE (boston 2, '06), Axl really does provide more energy, stage presence, power than eddie. Not saying eddie was bad...far from it actually, just different styles. But Axl's style to me is more entertaining.
  • Options
    Ok, so I saw GNR and PJ within 2 weeks of each other. And while the PJ concert was INCREDIBLE (boston 2, '06), Axl really does provide more energy, stage presence, power than eddie. Not saying eddie was bad...far from it actually, just different styles. But Axl's style to me is more entertaining.

Yeah, I agree on that. Although I guess it's kinda unfair for ME to say it, because I've been completely blown away by the new Gn'R live, while I've never actualy witnessed PJ live, haha. Hopefully 2007 I will see my 1st PJ show, and my 2nd GnR :D

♪ Juli ♪