Options

Share your 'unfashionable' music opinions...

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    they did. it's called live at benaroya hall ;)

also, number of albums had nothing to do with it. nirvana didn't play many more original songs than pearl jam did. 6 outta 14 songs were covers. the difference was nirvana was a totally different sound. it stripped away the famous distortion and gave people a whole new look at nirvana and allowed the songwriting and kurt's emotion to shine. pearl jam played their songs pretty much the same. they did show they were the real deal and could play and their music had more than arena bombast, but their unplugged wasn't the totally fresh look at the band nirvana's was.

But Pearl Jam's had much more passion and arm drawing.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    rrivers wrote:
    But Pearl Jam's had much more passion and arm drawing.

maybe, though i dont know that pearl jam's had a moment as defining and memorable as kurt singing 'where did you sleep last night.' that's the difference. nirvana's unplugged was iconic and a lasting image of the band. i dont think many people remember pearl jam by that unplugged performance.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    glasshouse wrote:
    this is not "unfashionable", just rediculous.

Ridiculous? I think not. Orange Claw Hammer is the greatest song lyric of all time. Dylan couldn't have begun to envisage something so embracive of classical myth, pastoral imagery and romantic quest narrative, in a fit, let alone Waits.
  • Options
    maybe, though i dont know that pearl jam's had a moment as defining and memorable as kurt singing 'where did you sleep last night.' that's the difference. nirvana's unplugged was iconic and a lasting image of the band. i dont think many people remember pearl jam by that unplugged performance.

Defining moment? "We belong together", the kick ass jam on Porch, the intensity of the whole show. I think for a lot of people of my generation (I'm 30) this might have been the first time they saw music could mean more than just something catchy to listen in the car.

Do "people", I assume you mean non-fans or casual fans, remember Pearl Jam for that performance? Maybe not, but they also have a lot more things after that for people to remember. I'm slightly above a casual fan of Nirvana and Unplugged is not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of them. Since Kurt died shortly after this performance (if I'm right) this might be a reason you see it as "a lasting image" since it was one of the last.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    Defining moment? "We belong together", the kick ass jam on Porch, the intensity of the whole show.

That 'we belong together' bit hits home every time.....

Nirvana's unplugged is legendary, but Pearl Jam's means more to me......
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    I don't like the mars volta. I kind of liked the first cd when it first came out, but now when it comes up on my itunes shuffle, I get soooo irritated. it grates on my nerves like listening to a child have a tantrum. it's terrible.
  • Options
    i think danni is the more talented artist than kylie ;)
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • Options
    i think danni is the more talented artist than kylie ;)

lol better looking.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    lol better looking.....

hmmm i dunno, they both have their good points :)
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • Options
    hmmm i dunno, they both have their good points :)

Very true, very true.....but a brunette will always win in my eyes :D
  • Options
    That 'we belong together' bit hits home every time.....

Yeah Nirvana doesn't have a moment clost to that on their Unplugged.
  • Options
    dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    rrivers wrote:
    Yeah Nirvana doesn't have a moment clost to that on their Unplugged.
    i would love for PJ is do a unplugged at this point in there career. Well, actually i'd love for them to do a acoustic tour I guess.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    Defining moment? "We belong together", the kick ass jam on Porch, the intensity of the whole show. I think for a lot of people of my generation (I'm 30) this might have been the first time they saw music could mean more than just something catchy to listen in the car.

Do "people", I assume you mean non-fans or casual fans, remember Pearl Jam for that performance? Maybe not, but they also have a lot more things after that for people to remember. I'm slightly above a casual fan of Nirvana and Unplugged is not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of them. Since Kurt died shortly after this performance (if I'm right) this might be a reason you see it as "a lasting image" since it was one of the last.

which, like it or not, is what makes it iconic. pearl jam's iconic image is ed crawling the rafters and jumping into the crowd.

you take a poll of average people, more will say nirvana's unplugged was awesome than will even be aware that pearl jam did one. pearl jam's might be held in higher esteem here among their fanatical devoted (surprise surprise), but nirvana's was legendary and a memorable cultural event. it was essentially the high point of that 90s movement. after that, the wave broke and the scene started to die.
  • Options
    which, like it or not, is what makes it iconic. pearl jam's iconic image is ed crawling the rafters and jumping into the crowd.

you take a poll of average people, more will say nirvana's unplugged was awesome than will even be aware that pearl jam did one. pearl jam's might be held in higher esteem here among their fanatical devoted (surprise surprise), but nirvana's was legendary and a memorable cultural event. it was essentially the high point of that 90s movement. after that, the wave broke and the scene started to die.

But you argued earlier that the way they changed the song arrangements and played covers was what made it so special. Now you say Nirvana's is iconic because Kurt died shortly after?

You really are going overboard about the cultural event and it being legendary. It was a good show. I think pearl jam's was better, but neither was this huge "event" as you say.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    But you argued earlier that the way they changed the song arrangements and played covers was what made it so special. Now you say Nirvana's is iconic because Kurt died shortly after?

You really are going overboard about the cultural event and it being legendary. It was a good show. I think pearl jam's was better, but neither was this huge "event" as you say.

it's all of that. it showed a side of nirvana people didn't know existed. and then just as people were starting to take grunge seriously, kurt died. there was a live album. one of the most popular and common posters of kurt was taken from that show. it was a lasting image that defined nirvana. and it coincided with the high point of alternative as an artform. it was the pinnacle of that movement. after that, kurt died. aic became defunct. pearl jam receded from the limelight. the scene started to fall apart. but that image of kurt at unplugged stayed in people's memories. it's like the beatles rooftop performance. maybe there were better shows played and better bands playing them. but it was an event that seemed to encapsulate its time. it showed "grunge" as more than angry angsty white dudes, but as serious musicians making meaningful music. it WAS a cultural event. why was it released on dvd over a decade later to wide anticipation? becos people wanted it. why isn't pearl jam's being released? becos nobody would buy it except the people on this board.

pearl jam's was a great performance and got them a lot of attention and credibility. but it was not the defining moment nirvana's was. when you mention pearl jam, people think of stage diving or ticketmaster battles. when you mention nirvana, people think of unplugged.
  • Options
    no musical group even compares to pearl jam ;)

i prefer pj's artisitic more branch-out side to their rock out side.

i think pj, aic, soundgarden, and stp are all blow away anything nirvana ever did.

down on the upside is soundgarden's best album.

euphoria morning is as good as anything soundgarden put out

battle of la is rage's best album

shangri la dee da is stp's greatest album

i think number of the beast is one of iron maiden's weaker albums with bruce on vocals.

use your illusion 1 & 2 burry appetite.

i strongly dislike music from the doors or queen

ac/dc is fucking annoying
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    it's all of that. it showed a side of nirvana people didn't know existed. and then just as people were starting to take grunge seriously, kurt died. there was a live album. one of the most popular and common posters of kurt was taken from that show. it was a lasting image that defined nirvana. and it coincided with the high point of alternative as an artform. it was the pinnacle of that movement. after that, kurt died. aic became defunct. pearl jam receded from the limelight. the scene started to fall apart. but that image of kurt at unplugged stayed in people's memories. it's like the beatles rooftop performance. maybe there were better shows played and better bands playing them. but it was an event that seemed to encapsulate its time. it showed "grunge" as more than angry angsty white dudes, but as serious musicians making meaningful music. it WAS a cultural event. why was it released on dvd over a decade later to wide anticipation? becos people wanted it. why isn't pearl jam's being released? becos nobody would buy it except the people on this board.

pearl jam's was a great performance and got them a lot of attention and credibility. but it was not the defining moment nirvana's was. when you mention pearl jam, people think of stage diving or ticketmaster battles. when you mention nirvana, people think of unplugged.

How many copies of Nirvana unplugged DVD were sold? I would bet it sold the same amount as Pearl Jam's if it was released. The Nirvana fan equivalent of people on this board bought the Nirvana one. I don't know that many outside of die hards bought it.

I don't think it took to the time Nirvana's unplugged was played for people to realize the music was meaningful, if they paid the slightest amount of attention.

I asked a few people what they think of when they think of Nirvana and they said "Teen Spirit". The video was more iconic and a defining moment. Sure it was played to death, etc. but that's what people think about when you say Nirvana, not them playing "Where did you sleep last night" on unplugged.

Pearl Jam's unplugged is not being released because the band doesn't want to. I would guess because they don't want to sell something to fans that a lot of fans already have and can be traded for fairly easily. I do agree it would only sell to the die-hards.

I think the performance is special to you and it may be YOUR defining moment, but I think you are giving it more importance than it actually had. I know I have done that myself with things relating to music, and then realized it just meant that to me and other people aren't paying attention. LOL!

Anyway, I enjoyed the discussion with you.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    How many copies of Nirvana unplugged DVD were sold? I would bet it sold the same amount as Pearl Jam's if it was released. The Nirvana fan equivalent of people on this board bought the Nirvana one. I don't know that many outside of die hards bought it.

I don't think it took to the time Nirvana's unplugged was played for people to realize the music was meaningful, if they paid the slightest amount of attention.

I asked a few people what they think of when they think of Nirvana and they said "Teen Spirit". The video was more iconic and a defining moment. Sure it was played to death, etc. but that's what people think about when you say Nirvana, not them playing "Where did you sleep last night" on unplugged.

Pearl Jam's unplugged is not being released because the band doesn't want to. I would guess because they don't want to sell something to fans that a lot of fans already have and can be traded for fairly easily. I do agree it would only sell to the die-hards.

I think the performance is special to you and it may be YOUR defining moment, but I think you are giving it more importance than it actually had. I know I have done that myself with things relating to music, and then realized it just meant that to me and other people aren't paying attention. LOL!

Anyway, I enjoyed the discussion with you.

i never even saw unplugged by nirvana when it aired. i didnt like rock music then. but i sure as hell remember EVERYONE talking about it at the time. not a whisper when pearl jam did theirs.
  • Options
    Default are a really good radio rock band. They'd be even better if they cut all ties with Chad Kroeger.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.