Options

Share your 'unfashionable' music opinions...

Comments

• Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    btb002 wrote:
    Wow. How can I begin to explain this. I share a dorm with two other people and in the room of one, the internet connection doesn't work. So he often uses mine. I have the typical favorites window open on the left side of the screen and this forum, of course, is one of them. Being I'm a lazy stereo typical college student :) I stay logged into various sites facebook, myspace, and this site pretty much the whole time. Which of course gave him the ability to breach my account. I do take full responsibility of the circumstance and will take proper precautions to make sure that it won't happen again. Its a public forum, and I'm one that has multiple younger siblings and I do not deem this appropriate to the slightest degree. Thanks to those who respectfully brought this up to me in private.

Funnily enough, I agreed with him, on the Rush point. :D
  • Options
    The Ramones were dreary dogpoo.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    The Ramones were dreary dogpoo.
    the most overrated "punk" band ever, besides the Sex Pistols.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    the most overrated "punk" band ever, besides the Sex Pistols.

I preferred The Sex Pistols to The Clash. Earnest, over-politicised whiney tosspots. :D
  • Options
    I preferred The Sex Pistols to The Clash. Earnest, over-politicised whiney tosspots. :D
    I hate most of The Clash's punk stuff. Strummer was a fucking hypocrite who should never have gone near politics. They were pretty good when they tried being creative. I certainly like Train in Vain far more than anything the Pistols ever did.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    kid A made sense as an attempt to grow, experiment and avoid becoming repetitive. it wasn't any good but the change was bold. made you wonder where they'd go next. a decade later it sounds like nowhere. i'll keep listening out of habit but my expectations are at perry farrell-ish lows.

dinosaur jr's best albums are not from the jay/lou/murph years.

paul westerberg hasn't lost a step.

frank black's teenager of the year is better than any pixies album.

farrar > tweedy but wilco > son volt.

nails on a chalkboard > rush.

brian johnson > bon scott.

hood > cooley.

chloe/crown was love bone's one and only good song.

hagar = roth.

U2 and REM still make decent albums.

stevie ray > jimi.

the beastie boys have always been a novelty act.

johnny cash is to ears what a dutch oven full of hot farts is to noses.
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    The Rolling Stones are better than the Beatles.

7 Mary 3 are vastly underrated.

Creed's My Own Prison was a very good album.

No Code is Pearl Jam's best work.

Third Day made some very good albums, Christian or not.

Jack White is the most talented man in rock today.

The Who had a lot of crappy songs.

The Grateful Dead's first album (self titled) was their best.

Hole had a lot of really good songs.

Lynyrd Skynyrd doesn't get the recognition they deserve.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Pink Floyd were shit after Syd left.
  • Options
    Joni Mitchell's albums are fucking horrible. Stop singing prose, woman. Sing some verse, and cut out the wanky jazz-phrasing. It sounds utterly contrived, and I'm a jazz fan.
  • Options
    Joni Mitchell's albums are fucking horrible. Stop singing prose, woman. Sing some verse, and cut out the wanky jazz-phrasing. It sounds utterly contrived, and I'm a jazz fan.
    I find it hard to sit through one of her album's but River is fucking brilliant. I dare you to disagree :)
  • Options
    here's another unfashionable opinion: I have great respect for U2, especially up through Achtung Baby. Achtung Baby is a GREAT album. The Joshua Tree was overexposed, but the song writing on that album is some of the best in rock history. Everything before the joshua tree is fantastic 80s pop rock.
  • Options
    DMBPJ20DMBPJ20 Posts: 160
    I am happy when I hear the song Chasing Cars.
    ...I just wanna scream hello...
    No L-O-I-T-E-R-I-N-G Alllloooowed.

I'll ride the wave, where it takes me.
  • Options
    the Black Crowes are untalented hacks.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I find it hard to sit through one of her album's but River is fucking brilliant. I dare you to disagree :)

I hate it. I had to sit in a car with my brother and his twenty year old daughter, listening to the fakking thing, recently. I was on the verge of chucking it out of the window.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I hate most of The Clash's punk stuff. Strummer was a fucking hypocrite who should never have gone near politics. They were pretty good when they tried being creative. I certainly like Train in Vain far more than anything the Pistols ever did.

ill one-up you both and say that the entire punk genre SUCKS. iggy pop has a good song or two, but the rest of it is hyperactive boring crap with slurring attitude taking the place of intelligence, wit, talent, or anything else.

in a similar vein, pearl jam's punk-inspired tracks suck horribly, and the band has been in a steady decline becos it has allowed ed to push the punk side too much rather than allowing the true strength of the band (stone and jeff's knack for amazing grooves) to shine.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    adam42381 wrote:
    The Who had a lot of crappy songs.

I agree with this. Sirius had an all Who channel for awhile when their new album came out. I was excited because I knew only Quadrophenia and their big hits. Sirius had (and brought back) an all Springsteen station and I had been really impressed with his catalog. I was hoping the same for the Who. I was not impressed with a lot of their deeper songs.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    here's another unfashionable opinion: I have great respect for U2, especially up through Achtung Baby. Achtung Baby is a GREAT album. The Joshua Tree was overexposed, but the song writing on that album is some of the best in rock history. Everything before the joshua tree is fantastic 80s pop rock.

I agree with this. Achtung Baby is the perfect example of a band experimenting and expanding their sound and it working on every level.
  • Options
    the true strength of the band (stone and jeff's knack for amazing grooves) to shine.

While I don't think all of Pearl Jam's punk songs suck, I do agree one of the strength's of the band that is not utilized enough is fantastic grooves in the vein of Glorified G, etc.
  • Options
    Syd Barret was overrated. If Roger Waters hadn't taken over song writing duties, no one would even know who Syd was.
  • Options
    ill one-up you both and say that the entire punk genre SUCKS. iggy pop has a good song or two, but the rest of it is hyperactive boring crap with slurring attitude taking the place of intelligence, wit, talent, or anything else.

in a similar vein, pearl jam's punk-inspired tracks suck horribly, and the band has been in a steady decline becos it has allowed ed to push the punk side too much rather than allowing the true strength of the band (stone and jeff's knack for amazing grooves) to shine.
    FUGAZI

:)
    Intelligence, wit, talent and, above all, tunes in abundance.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    Syd Barret was overrated. If Roger Waters hadn't taken over song writing duties, no one would even know who Syd was.

Midwest hicks wouldn't, but they don't count. It's the London hipsters who matter. ;)
  • Options

Yep. Put the telecaster down. Ed.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    FUGAZI

:)
    Intelligence, wit, talent and, above all, tunes in abundance.

i've only heard a handful of their songs and ill admit they sound a slice above most punk i've heard, but still not blowing my mind. and that's one band out of how many?
  • Options
    i've only heard a handful of their songs and ill admit they sound a slice above most punk i've heard, but still not blowing my mind. and that's one band out of how many?
    There are tons more but I thought I'd throw them out their because they are a good representation of how punk CAN be creative. A lot of 80s american punk was brilliant. Bands like Minor Threat, Die Kreuzen, Bad Brains, Dead Kennedy's etc.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    There are tons more but I thought I'd throw them out their because they are a good representation of how punk CAN be creative. A lot of 80s american punk was brilliant. Bands like Minor Threat, Die Kreuzen, Bad Brains, Dead Kennedy's etc.

0 for 4. still nothing but simple riffs over and over and over with someone screaming over it in a weird fake british working class accent. even the american bands feel compelled to pretend they're british when "singing" punk. it's lame. hell, ill even take the ramones over those... at least some of their songs were kinda fun.
  • Options
    0 for 4. still nothing but simple riffs over and over and over with someone screaming over it in a weird fake british working class accent. even the american bands feel compelled to pretend they're british when "singing" punk. it's lame. hell, ill even take the ramones over those... at least some of their songs were kinda fun.
    :eek:

Not one of those bands has anything like an english accent when singing. Bad Brains incorporated jazz fusion, reggae and speed metal into their music and Die Kreuzen are one of the most technically accomplished bands I can think of. Their drummer was like the Billy Cobham of punk.

I don't see how you can like The Devil & God are raging inside me, a record clearly influenced by bands like Rites of Spring and Embrace and still write off the whole of punk music with the kind of ignorance that you normally rip into people for on this board :confused:
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    :eek:

Not one of those bands has anything like an english accent when singing. Bad Brains incorporated jazz fusion, reggae and speed metal into their music and Die Kreuzen are one of the most technically accomplished bands I can think of. Their drummer was like the Billy Cobham of punk.

I don't see how you can like The Devil & God are raging inside me, a record clearly influenced by bands like Rites of Spring and Embrace and still write off the whole of punk music with the kind of ignorance that you normally rip into people for on this board :confused:

i dont know who rites of spring is or embrace. i dont know who billy cobham is. and i fucking hate speed metal. anything with that ADD-fast riffing that inspires white guys to "dance" by what appear to be seizures of head bobbing followed by kicking the shit out of each other is stupid to me.

i should take back the one thing though... i've heard of rites of spring, but what i heard was more they inspired jimmy eat world and were the godfathers or emo in the same way neil young was godfather of grunge. that sounds a helluva lot different from punk as i know it.

*edit*
    i just played a few samples of rites of spring, they're using the fake british accent too. all of those singers sound exactly the same. like the dude from rancid. they've all got that drunken slur that seems like they're trying to mask the fact that they are american for cred.

also, brand new sounds NOTHING like rites of spring. that guy can actually sing. and their songs are not hyperactive. they've got far more in common with mainstream rock than any punk music i ever heard. for instance, a song like guernica with that great grooving bassline is something i have never heard in a punk song in my entire life.
  • Options
    Irish folk rock is the absolute dog's bollocks.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    i dont know who rites of spring is or embrace. i dont know who billy cobham is. and i fucking hate speed metal. anything with that ADD-fast riffing that inspires white guys to "dance" by what appear to be seizures of head bobbing followed by kicking the shit out of each other is stupid to me.

i should take back the one thing though... i've heard of rites of spring, but what i heard was more they inspired jimmy eat world and were the godfathers or emo in the same way neil young was godfather of grunge. that sounds a helluva lot different from punk as i know it.

*edit*
    i just played a few samples of rites of spring, they're using the fake british accent too. all of those singers sound exactly the same. like the dude from rancid. they've all got that drunken slur that seems like they're trying to mask the fact that they are american for cred.

also, brand new sounds NOTHING like rites of spring. that guy can actually sing. and their songs are not hyperactive. they've got far more in common with mainstream rock than any punk music i ever heard. for instance, a song like guernica with that great grooving bassline is something i have never heard in a punk song in my entire life.
    Ok... here goes. I'm not saying that speed metal is good, I am saying that perhaps a band of rastafarians playing hardcore punk mixed with reggae, speed metal and jazz fusion is not so simplistic and uncreative as you are making out. Billy Cobham is a jazz drummer who played for Miles Davis, Guy Picciotto from Rites of Spring does not use an english accent, completely discounted the notion that his band was emo and said all he ever considered his music as was punk. you CANNOT gauge a band's music by a few samples. If you actually knew what you were talking about instead of making sweeping generalisations, you would easily see the influence of late 80s "emo" hardcore in Brand New's music.

I will also quote you more specifically: "that sounds a helluva lot different from punk as i know it." Sure, that's as may be. Don't assume that means you DO know much about punk at all. This is the kind of stuff I expect from some of the other guys on the other music board (and I think you probably know who I mean). I'm not telling you to like punk, I couldn't give a shit what you listen to. I just don't like people who don't actually have an informed opinion just talking shit and implying that I am wasting my time with a type of music that I love. Mama didn't raise no fools, I listen to good stuff ;)
  • Options
    Irish folk rock is the absolute dog's bollocks.
    Damn straight.

The Clancy Brothers, The Dubliners & especially The Pogues are amazing.
    The Sickbed of Cuchulainn by The Pogues is one of my favourite songs ever.

"When you pissed yourself in Frankfurt and got syph down in Cologne
    And you heard the rattling death trains as you lay there all alone
    Frank Ryan bought you whiskey in a brothel in Madrid
    And you decked some fucking blackshirt who was cursing all the Yids
    At the sick bed of Cuchulainn we'll kneel and say a prayer
    And the ghosts are rattling at the door and the devil's in the chair"