Options

Share your 'unfashionable' music opinions...

Comments

• Options
    I never knew it was fashionable to like those wazzocks, except on here, maybe.

i guess that one is kinda iffy. either you love em or hate em.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    MrSmith wrote:
    i guess that one is kinda iffy. either you love em or hate em.

I just tried to watch Tom Sawyer on YouTube, and it reminded me of Spinal Tap's Stonehenge.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    All hip-hop is uniformly crap, all of it, every last stinking shred.

After me.........

Sample someone else's tune.

Lay some crap rhyme over the top.

Get some chick to sing a chorus

Set to video with big cars and over dressed dudes in nightclub.

Repeat endlessly for 10 yrs, but don't vary the formula.

look ma, they all play instruments and write music and rock harder than most rock bands these days:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nIVzt_vGyr8
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=g4Anf0GadAc

ps. that isn't an unfashionable view. that's the classic ignorant cock rock fan dismissal of music they don't understand.

pps. how to make a led zeppelin song:

steal a black bluesman's riff

steal a black blues singer's lyrics

play it with a wall of guitar distortion

opt for high pitched screaming squeal instead of soulful singing

sell millions of records

laugh while the black artist starves
  • Options
    lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403

Well, the thread was about opinion, not fact, and my opinion was formed by endlessly seeing the same crap formula regurgitated for teh last edcade.

Besides which, you like Oasis, which as we all know means your opinion is worth lark's vomit.

But don't take any of that personally, cos I'm bored at work, and I only ever talk crap anyway.
    Hip-hop is still shite though, no youtube in this analogap-saurus' life so links are useless.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Well, the thread was about opinion, not fact, and my opinion was formed by endlessly seeing the same crap formula regurgitated for teh last edcade.

Besides which, you like Oasis, which as we all know means your opinion is worth lark's vomit.

But don't take any of that personally, cos I'm bored at work, and I only ever talk crap anyway.
    Hip-hop is still shite though, no youtube in this analogap-saurus' life so links are useless.
    Yes, she did, but an entertaining cement mixer.

Load era Metallica was their best work.

Stadium Arcadium is a great album.

The Beatles were total crap. Take away the hype, and the songs are barely OK. Wings era McCartney was pitiful slop.
    Lennon had some stinkers too, remember"slipping and a sliding, beeping and a hiding" or some such drivel.

Ray Charles "Genius Loves Company" also has some tripe, "Sweet potato pie" anyone ??

Emo music is pretty good, Good Charlotte still sound like the "popsicle up ass" though.

I disagree with every single thing you have said so I am not even gonna bother arguing with all of that.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    spnkrispnkri Posts: 137
    Tori Amos's American Doll Posse was one of the better albums of 2007.

Tori Amos's entire catalogue is better than Pearl Jam's.

Tori Amos is hotter than Eddie Vedder.

I want to have sex with Tori Amos.

She can also peg me if she wants.
  • Options
    btb002btb002 Posts: 183
    Rush is absolute trash. And the only people that like them are the ones that receive x when Geddy Lee sings. I liken people who listen to Rush with x, republicans, and whatever.

People who say Yield is their favorite Pearl Jam album have no taste when it comes to music what-so-ever. And they hate progress.

Pavement is the greatest band of the 90's. Not Pearl Jam, Radiohead, or Nirvana.

Guns N'Roses were never that great. They were America's "great white hope," that we could produce a Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath.

Though its not uncommon here, Pearl Jam is without a doubt the greatest rock band in American history.

R.E.M. is America's greatest band ever, genre not withstanding.

umm...

Music should be bought and cherished. Not raped and stolen. But its okay to download an album to see if you wanna buy it. Seven Mary Three drove me to this opinion at a very young age.

The Dixie Chicks are great artist, and Wide Open Spaces is a female's Ten. (Yes the Pearl Jam album.)

Weezer is highly overrated, with the exception of their first two albums. Or should I just say Rivers.

Nirvana would still be just as influential if Kurt was still alive. His death might have accelerated the greatness label, but it did nothing to improve it.

and Tool while great, drive me batty with their quest for perfection. Their albums just don't come off as human. If they went just three years between them, I'd be amazed.
    You are just a negative mindless pud.
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    Binaural and Riot Act are Pearl Jam at their creative peak.

Mighty Rearranger (Robert Plant) is one of the best rock albums released this decade.

in rainbows is the weakset radiohead album released to date

bob dylan wrote the greatest songs of all time. (probably not "unfashionable")

Tom Waits' Bone Machine is the greatest album I own.

i hate Nirvana. can you say "fashion"???
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    Going by this board, id say the following are unfashionable opinions:

1. Kurt and Nirvana actualy did deserve all the attention, even if it was obnoxious and at the expense of some fame for other deserving bands.

2. The original /\/ / \/\ version of Hurt is actualy better than Johnny Cash's cover.

3. The Beatles were influential. Period.

4. Radiohead peaked with The Bends, and after that started trying to make music to subvert REM with. :(

5. Guns N Roses realy were all that, despite the fact that Axl is a douche.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    I don't understand the hype about Chris Cornell, he's ridiculously overrated.

Morrissey is stupidly overrated.

Kurt Cobain was a poor song writer.

Smashing Pumpkins... overrated.

Guns and Roses were nothing on Motley Crue and wouldn't be who they are without them.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    I listen to more Oasis than the Beatles.

I like Justin Timberlake more than the Arcade Fire.

I fell asleep at a Rolling Stones show.

Jack Johnson is not a Musical Genius.

i'm just going to agree with others statements.

so this is me agreeing with the JT over Arcade Fire comment.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    KannKann Posts: 1,146
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Placebo is one of the best bands in the world!

Let's not get carried away.

Soundgarden were, at their best, boring.
    g'n'r = overrated
    oasis/muse/coldplay = very very overrated
    Janis Joplin does not have a nice voice
    rolling stones > beatles

WantedTo wrote:
    I like emobands. I don't like the kids that dress up and cut themselves with creditcards. I just. Like. The. Sound.
    (I'm not ashamed of this. Nope. Not at all. Nu-uh.)
    The people using this thread to admit liking emo remind me of some scenes in shitty comedies were when friends were in a plane/car/bus/train/etc. about to crash and die for sure one would admit being gay (not that there's anything wrong with that), and not die in the end. It was never that funny but I can picture the same look of akwardness on the faces of posters saying "I like emo"!
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Going by this board, id say the following are unfashionable opinions:

1. Kurt and Nirvana actualy did deserve all the attention, even if it was obnoxious and at the expense of some fame for other deserving bands.

2. The original /\/ / \/\ version of Hurt is actualy better than Johnny Cash's cover.

3. The Beatles were influential. Period.

4. Radiohead peaked with The Bends, and after that started trying to make music to subvert REM with. :(

5. Guns N Roses realy were all that, despite the fact that Axl is a douche.

i agree with every single one of those.
  • Options
    spnkri wrote:
    Tori Amos's American Doll Posse was one of the better albums of 2007.

Tori Amos's entire catalogue is better than Pearl Jam's.

Tori Amos is hotter than Eddie Vedder.

I want to have sex with Tori Amos.

She can also peg me if she wants.
    Hey, whattaya know...a rare non-hater type post.

I love Tori as well.
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Chris Cornell - overated

Oasis - wouldn't go to see them in my back garden

Black - bloody awful song
  • Options
    mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    I know all the words to "This Is How We Do It" by Montell Jordan. And enjoy it.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    rrivers wrote:
    Bruce Springsteen's catalog is light years better than the Rolling Stones' and Neil Young's.

I agree with you about the stones, but i could not disagree more about neil young.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    i agree with every single one of those.
    I agreed with all of them exact the Radiohead one, which was laughable.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Radiohead..Sucks.
    Binaural..I only keep it because its a Pearl Jam album.
    Riot Act..I only keep it because its a Pearl Jam album.
    Pearl Jam should step away from the punk and go more rock.
    Oasis..Never was and never will be special.
    Nirvana..Simple song structures..3rd grade lyrics..(although I like them)
    Pearl Jam Avacodo (3rd favorite Pearl Jam album..tied with Yield).
    Arcade Fire..Is unlistenable
    U2..Average band at most. As a whole they sound good.
    Pixies..Overrated soft Melvins.
    Beatles..Boring
    Doors..Inspiring
    Chris Cornells new album was good (although not as good as euphoria morning)
    Jack Johnson<G Love and Special Sauce
    EL-P- I'll sleep when your dead. (Best album of 2007). 2nd Place DOWN III.
  • Options
    DMBPJ20DMBPJ20 Posts: 160
    I love the Goo Goo Dolls.
    I can do w/o Aerosmith.
    I like Radiohead, but find them overrated.
    I enjoy most of Britney Spears songs.
    ...I just wanna scream hello...
    No L-O-I-T-E-R-I-N-G Alllloooowed.

I'll ride the wave, where it takes me.
  • Options
    dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    Whoever said that NIN original version of HURT is better than JC, you are 1000% correct, no comparison!!!
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • Options
    DMBPJ20DMBPJ20 Posts: 160
    I know the words to most Neil Diamond songs.
    *hangs head in shame*
    ...I just wanna scream hello...
    No L-O-I-T-E-R-I-N-G Alllloooowed.

I'll ride the wave, where it takes me.
  • Options
    i think PJ covering Baba O'Riley is better than the Who singing it.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    intodeep wrote:
    I agree with you about the stones, but i could not disagree more about neil young.

Fair enough.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I never knew it was fashionable to like those wazzocks, except on here, maybe.

No-one ever said it was fashionable, and us fans couldn't care less about outsiders' opinions.

Rush destroys most bands, and those who don't 'get it' can be on their merry way. More for us.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    btb002 wrote:
    Rush is absolute trash-ass-shit. And the only people that like them are the ones that receive hard-ons when Geddy Lee sings. I liken people who listen to Rush with molesters, republicans, and whatever terrible stereo type that doesn't come to mind.

Hmmm. Rush fan. Non-molester. Independant leaning towards democrat. Flacid while listening to Geddy singing. Hard-worker. Make decent money. Generally nice person.

Next.

(by the way: good luck finding Repulican/conservative Rush fans. You obviously don't get it).
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    BinFrog wrote:
    Hmmm. Rush fan. Non-molester. Independant leaning towards democrat. Flacid while listening to Geddy singing. Hard-worker. Make decent money. Generally nice person.

Next.

(by the way: good luck finding Repulican/conservative Rush fans. You obviously don't get it).

BinFrog you just described me as well to a tee!!! I thought of responding to btb002 post but decided just to ignore it since it it probably the most ignorant and classless post I have seen here. And that's saying something. I am fine with people not liking Rush. I understand Geddy's voice is not for everyone. To compare Rush fans to child molesters....wow.

It's also funny that people think it is "fashionable" to like Rush. Outside of a few months in 1981/1982 when "Moving Pictures" hit, I don't think it was ever fashionable, which is one of the many cool things about them.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    BinFrog you just described me as well to a tee!!! I thought of responding to btb002 post but decided just to ignore it since it it probably the most ignorant and classless post I have seen here. And that's saying something. I am fine with people not liking Rush. I understand Geddy's voice is not for everyone. To compare Rush fans to child molesters....wow.

It's also funny that people think it is "fashionable" to like Rush. Outside of a few months in 1981/1982 when "Moving Pictures" hit, I don't think it was ever fashionable, which is one of the many cool things about them.
    I agree, that is a very uncalled for comment, something not to joke about!!
  • Options
    I
    I prefer modern Chili's albums to their 80s albums.

ha! I totally agree with this.

all my music opinions are unfashionable!

here's one: I prefer weezer's green album to pinkerton.

I like Ten much, much better than No Code.

I have a soft spot for FleetwoodMac.

I HATE Sonic Youth.
  • Options
    Pearl Jam is on its last legs.

Chris Cornell is a shell of his former self.

Billy Corgan is a shell of his former self.

The Foo Fighters last two albums are right up there with Nickleback in terms of shittiness.