Options

Share your 'unfashionable' music opinions...

Comments

• Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    velvet underground are more important than the beatles

When I first read this I thought it said "velvet revolver". I was thinking maybe we should give them a few years first.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    frank black's best stuff is not with the pixies.

Kim Deal's best stuff is not with The Pixies

Nine Inch Nails SUCKS

and It's fashionable but seriously Nickelback sucks ass
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762

velvet underground are more important than the beatles

no, they are not, but they released better records. weird, i know.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    Audioslave's three albums were better than anything produced by Pearl Jam in the new millenium.
  • Options
    Them-Bones wrote:
    Kim Deal's best stuff is not with The Pixies

Nine Inch Nails SUCKS

and It's fashionable but seriously Nickelback sucks ass

seeing how kim wrote next to nothing for the pixies that shouldnt be a surprise. she co-wrote gigantic, thats it. but i think pixies are better than the breeders. either way cant wait for the new breeders album.
  • Options
    ThecureThecure Posts: 814
    dcne200 wrote:
    I think this comment wins, hands down. I see I am not the only one who dislikes Nirvana or U2, but I think Green Day deserves the (dis)honor of being the most overated bands in the last 20 years.

thank you very much for picking me as teh winner (i guess) for saying that i would rather see Michael jackson than Pearl jam in concert. of course i have seen Pearl jam like 20 times and jackson never. from what i was told by people who saw Jackson in concert they said that it was great. i trust these people views on music. they all liek Pearl Jam but say that Michaels shows are so entertaining and the musis is fun. what more do you want in a concert. Like EV once said " i am tired of screaming" liek i say "sometimes i want just pure fun"
    People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth (1884-1980)
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:
    Oh, you just don't like them now cos they're successful :D:p

(note I get you were joking) Green Day WAS HUGELY SUCCESSFUL in 1995 with the release of Dookie. Enormously so. It was very uncool to like them at my high school because they were so successful. I saw them play a free show in boston in sept 1995, put on by the local radio station. This station would always throw free outdoor shows feature semi-popular or local bands. So they booked Green Day before they really "broke" but months later on the day of the show, they were WAY bigger than expected. I think like 50-100,000 people showed up for this thing, and they were totally unprepared- there was like no security, traffic was screwed up in the whole city, the trains were blocked...green day played for about 10 minutes and fled the stage because the sea of people started to rush it. after they left, there was like a stampede (this is just an open area park mind you) dozens of kids were airlifted to hospital! It was honestly pretty scary, I had to run to the river bank and once over it I lied down and covered my head until the crowd passed.

anyway, that's my green day story. a little off topic :).
  • Options
    Vitalogy overall is not very good.. Some good tunes with some bad filler.

Sergeant Pepper is not the Beatles best album. Huge Beatles fan but I find I never listen to this album, I much prefer any other album by them.

Stairway to Heaven is not Zeppelin's best song. It's seems like a nerdy song some kid obsessed w/ Lord of the Rings wrote, but great solo.

Stevie Ray Vaughan is the greatest guitarist ever to walk the earth. There might be more skilled guitarists, but no one can hit one note and give me chills the way SRV does.

Ringo Starr was a non-essential element to the Beatles. Most of the songs he sings on are filler and he could have been replaced by any other drummer.

Phish studio albums are better than the live performances many times. I don't need a 30 minute version of Tweezer.

I love the Foo Fighters albums but Dave Grohl's live singing (screaming) is on par w/ seeing Billy Corgan sing live....i.e. Shit Sandwich.

Radiohead peaked w/ The Bends.

Strats > Les Pauls
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • Options
    Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    Rolling Stones are to the Beatles what Nickelback are to Pearl Jam

Kings Of Leon as well as the Libertines and just about every English band of the last few years are cheap imitations of the Strokes and Interpol

Billy Corgan is not arrogant and if he is he has evry right to be
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    Oh.....and even Staind have made better albums than VS! That album is a sham

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Carlos D wrote:
    Rolling Stones are to the Beatles what Nickelback are to Pearl Jam

Kings Of Leon as well as the Libertines and just about every English band of the last few years are cheap imitations of the Strokes and Interpol

Billy Corgan is not arrogant and if he is he has evry right to be

you know kings of leon aren't english right? and neither are the strokes or interpol?
  • Options
    you know kings of leon aren't english right? and neither are the strokes or interpol?

Yeah,that's why I said Kings of Leon AND Libertines AND every other English band(as in along with the Libertines).I probably should've phrased it better.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Carlos D wrote:
    haha
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    I only like 5 tracks off of Sgt. Pepper.....it's my least favourite Beatles album and in terms of song content very weak.....

I can't stand how Bob Dylan's voice sounds these days and his latest records such as Modern Times and Love and Theft are average at best and have got nothing on his 60s/70s work despite the ridiculous amount of praise they recieve.....

I prefer Tom Waits to Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young.....

I would like Oasis if Noel was the singer.....Liam is a brainless twat with a godawful voice.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,133
    Siamese Dream is the best album from the 90's.

Jimmy Chamberlin is the best rock drummer since John Bonham.

The Beatles are the most important band ever.
  • Options
    I prefer Tom Waits to Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young.....

I would like Oasis if Noel was the singer.....Liam is a brainless twat with a godawful voice.....

I agree with these 100%.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Tom Waits is just a poor man's Captain Beefheart.
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    The Velvet Underground make my ears bleed. It's just unlistenable to me.

BUT, they have inspired some amazing artists after them.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    Carlos D wrote:

wow
  • Options
    Jimmy Chamberlin is the best rock drummer since John Bonham.

He is great and very underrated.
  • Options
    1. Pearl Jam is a fantastic band, but would have been just as sucessful if Andy Wood or Chris Cornell was the lead singer
    2. Eighties rock never fails to put me in a good mood
    3. Michael Jackson is a legend, personal issues aside
    4. Genesis is among the greatest bands to listen to when you need to mellow out
    5. Bruce Springsteen is fantastic, but I wouldn't pay to see him if the E-Street band wasn't along for the ride
    7.My Morning Jacket is the future of rock
  • Options
    1. Pearl Jam is a fantastic band, but would have been just as sucessful if Andy Wood or Chris Cornell was the lead singer
    2. Eighties rock never fails to put me in a good mood
    3. Michael Jackson is a legend, personal issues aside
    4. Genesis is among the greatest bands to listen to when you need to mellow out
    5. Bruce Springsteen is fantastic, but I wouldn't pay to see him if the E-Street band wasn't along for the ride
    7.My Morning Jacket is the future of rock

1. I doubt this. How successful was TOTD compared to Ten? I think a lot of people bought TOTD because of "Hunger Strike" and they were anxious to hear any song with Ed singing. I remember being one of these people.
    2. I agree. Best feel good music ever!
    3. Agree
    4. Used to like them more, but can't listen to them now. Don't know why. I can see where you're coming from though.
    5. I might agree with this. I haven't had the opportunity so I can't say if I would. However, I got "Live in Dublin" with the Seeger Sessions band and it is fantastic!
    7. Maybe. I don't know their music well enough. Saw them at Bridge and they were ok.
  • Options
    These Days is the only decent Bon Jovi album.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    I really don't like Arcade Fire, QOTSA, NIN. Can't understand why anyone else would either!

Super Furry Animals' 1st two albums are among the very finest of the 90s.

The Charlatans one of the most under-rated bands of the last 15 years.

Some people think they're cooler if they say their favourite PJ album is 'No Code', when really it's 'Ten' !!!!!!!!
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Techno/Electronic music can easily be as enjoyable as guitar music.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    i think wu tang's '8 diagrams' is as good if not better than anything they've done before and pushes the boundaries of hip hop in a way not seen since outkast's speakerboxx/love below.
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    i think wu tang's '8 diagrams' is as good if not better than anything they've done before and pushes the boundaries of hip hop in a way not seen since outkast's speakerboxx/love below.

Wow, I am shocked..........awful record.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    These Days is the only decent Bon Jovi album.....

I agree. Bon Jovi was my first favorite band back in 8th grade or so, so they have a big sentimental/guilty-pleasure aspect for me. Of course now I'll admit that 90% of their catalogue blows, but honestly there are a bunch of individual songs that demonstrate some great songwriting. But nobody's heard most of those.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    ClaudiaClaudia Posts: 398
    AIC > Nirvana
    Soundgarden wasnt that great
    Mike Mccready solos are boring
    Stone is creepy
    The Beatles and Nirvana are the most overrated bands ever
  • Options
    dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    Claudia wrote:
    AIC > Nirvana
    Soundgarden wasnt that great
    Mike Mccready solos are boring
    Stone is creepy
    The Beatles and Nirvana are the most overrated bands ever
    I have made that same statement about the beatles and nirvana...although i do like them both.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16