Options

Share your 'unfashionable' music opinions...

Comments

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Ok... here goes. I'm not saying that speeding metal is good, I am saying that perhaps a band of rastafarians playing hardcore punk mixed with reggae, speed metal and jazz fusion is not so simplistic and uncreative as you are making out. Billy Cobham is a jazz drummer who played for Miles Davis, Guy Picciotto from Rites of Spring does not use an english accent, completely discounted the notion that his band was emo and said all he ever considered his music as was punk. you CANNOT gauge a band's music by a few samples. If you actually knew what you were talking about instead of making sweeping generalisations, you would easily see the influence of late 80s "emo" hardcore in Brand New's music.

I will also quote you more specifically: "that sounds a helluva lot different from punk as i know it." Sure, that's as may be. Don't assume that means you DO know much about punk at all. This is the kind of stuff I expect from some of the other guys on the other music board (and I think you probably know who I mean). I'm not telling you to like punk, I couldn't give a shit what you listen to. I just don't like people who don't actually have an informed opinion just talking shit and implying that I am wasting my time with a type of music that I love. Mama didn't raise no fools, I listen to good stuff ;)

no, i dont think i would, becos i dont know the late 80s emo hardcore scene. becos i cannot listen to hardcore music. but if it makes you feel better, then punk music that sounds like the punk music i hate sucks. the clash, sex pistols, rites of spring, fugazi... i dont like any of them. it's the singing. well, that and i find the riffs boring as hell. but largely the singing. just like a lot of people hate the emo sound now becos they feel all the singers have that same high pitch whiny voice, i hate whatever-kind-of-punk-it-is (i hate splicing genres) where people use that weird slurring speaking vocal thing. i don't know how to describe it. i just know it annoys the bejesus out of me. all of their voices sound the same.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Damn straight.

The Clancy Brothers, The Dubliners & especially The Pogues are amazing.
    The Sickbed of Cuchulainn by The Pogues is one of my favourite songs ever.

"When you pissed yourself in Frankfurt and got syph down in Cologne
    And you heard the rattling death trains as you lay there all alone
    Frank Ryan bought you whiskey in a brothel in Madrid
    And you decked some fucking blackshirt who was cursing all the Yids
    At the sick bed of Cuchulainn we'll kneel and say a prayer
    And the ghosts are rattling at the door and the devil's in the chair"

I bought the best of the Pogues today, and I'm at present listening to The Levellers, 'A weapon called the word.' I'm having an eargasm.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    no, i dont think i would, becos i dont know the late 80s emo hardcore scene. becos i cannot listen to hardcore music. but if it makes you feel better, then punk music that sounds like the punk music i hate sucks. the clash, sex pistols, rites of spring, fugazi... i dont like any of them. it's the singing. well, that and i find the riffs boring as hell. but largely the singing. just like a lot of people hate the emo sound now becos they feel all the singers have that same high pitch whiny voice, i hate whatever-kind-of-punk-it-is (i hate splicing genres) where people use that weird slurring speaking vocal thing. i don't know how to describe it. i just know it annoys the bejesus out of me. all of their voices sound the same.
    But you're just doing that irritating generalisation thing. Ian Mackaye from Fugazi and the singer from Rites of Spring sound nothing like each other. That's why they compliment each other in Fugazi. Neither of them sound anything like Joe Strummer or Johnny Rotten. No one in punk sounds like HR from Bad Brains. It's fine if you don't like the stuff but your reasons are based on a very small and, frankly, poorly interpreted group of bands, given that none of them sound anything like each other. The reason why modern punk bands sound similar to the 80s emo sound is that all post-hardcore essentially owes everything to these bands and, like all derivative music, generally stagnates.

oh, and if we're talking about things sounding the same, go and listen to the song Torches Together by mewithoutYou and see if you think Brand New's change of style with their latest album is all that fresh and impressive. Music can sound similar to other stuff without being shite you know.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    But you're just doing that irritating generalisation thing. Ian Mackaye from Fugazi and the singer from Rites of Spring sound nothing like each other. That's why they compliment each other in Fugazi. Neither of them sound anything like Joe Strummer or Johnny Rotten. No one in punk sounds like HR from Bad Brains. It's fine if you don't like the stuff but your reasons are based on a very small and, frankly, poorly interpreted group of bands, given that none of them sound anything like each other. The reason why modern punk bands sound similar to the 80s emo sound is that all post-hardcore essentially owes everything to these bands and, like all derivative music, generally stagnates.

oh, and if we're talking about things sounding the same, go and listen to the song Torches Together by mewithoutYou and see if you think Brand New's change of style with their latest album is all that fresh and impressive. Music can sound similar to other stuff without being shite you know.

im not saying similar music cant be good. i like buckcherry for god's sakes... guns'n'roses idiot cousin. i just don't like punk. this is the thread for unfashionable opinions. that's my opinion. punk sucks. their riffs are boring and the singing is crap. sure they don't all sound alike to you, you've listened to them. when you immerse yourself in something, you start to tell differences. but once upon a time, all beer tasted pretty much the same to me. a few years back, every rapper sounded the same to me. and for my whole life, all punk singers have used the same weird vocal technique as far as ive heard. and i think it sucks. what is wrong with that reason? my brother is a huge punk fan, i heard stuff through him all the time. and all of it sounded the same to me. my college roommates were both big punk fans, heard plenty of it there. i dont like it. and it's becos i find the music boring, like they're all just in a race to see who can play the song the fastest, and i find the singing to be shit. it's got nothing to do with originality or whatever else. it's got to dow ith the fact that i think it sounds like crap. it's that simple. seriously.

lastly, how can an opinion be a generalization? all those singers sing the same way TO ME. how is that a generalization? a generalization would be hearing one of them and then saying they all sound the same. but i havent. ive heard all of them, and many more. and it all sounds the same to me.

edit*
    listened to the torch song, it's not bad. i don't see how it's considered punk though. sounds more like alternative a la the pixies and mudhoney to me. the singing doesn't have that usual punk sneer that annoys me. i can sorta see how it might have influenced brand new, but that's becos i see brand new as influenced mainly by alternative, not punk. i see more of the bands i just mentioned and the song you provided in brand new than i do the sex pistols or rancid or whoever else. and i just noticed on allmusic that mewithyou's first album came out in 2004, brand new's was in 2001... their second album in 03. so if anything, mewithoutyou was influenced by brand new, not the other way round. i never said anything was particularly original about brand new's last album. i like it BECAUSE it is not punk. they ditched it and went straight up alternative. it's almost like a grunge album. it's not a matter of it being original, it's a matter of it being not punk and being good. ive specifically said it was impressive becos they ditched the punk scene (their first album SUCKS) and moved to good music ;)
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    black sabbath > zeppelin
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Oh this is a good one. Here goes:

1. The Rolling Stones are the most overrated musical act to ever walk the Earth.
    2. Bob Marley is horribly annoying, as is all reggae music.
    3a. EMO is not real. It is a meaningless concept thrown around by ignorant people who have fucked up beliefs regarding masculinity.
    3b. Many of the bands who get hammered with the EMO label (Dashboard, MCR) are completely valid musicians who are making important music.
    4. Green Day's American Idiot is one of the great albums of this decade.
    5. Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn are the two greatest guitar players of all time, and there really isn't a close third (No, not even Jimmy Page)
    6. Radiohead's "In Rainbows" is a very good album but not a great one. It doesn't live up to their earlier work.
    7. Arcade Fire are the greatest live band on the planet. They have surpassed Pearl Jam.
    8. Somewhat tangental, but people who feel the need to get blazed and/or drunk at every show and can't enjoy the music without entering such a state need to get themselves some help. It's a sad world we live in when so many have to alter or abandon their realities in order to enjoy something that is undeniably beautiful.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    are dog's bollocks good or bad? :)

ok not only do I hate sonic youth, I do not like the ramones. nor do I like the beastie boys.
  • Options
    boroff89 wrote:

2. Bob Marley is horribly annoying, as is all reggae music.

8. Somewhat tangental, but people who feel the need to get blazed and/or drunk at every show and can't enjoy the music without entering such a state need to get themselves some help. It's a sad world we live in when so many have to alter or abandon their realities in order to enjoy something that is undeniably beautiful.

I agree with these and feel they somehow go together. along with jam bands. ugh, my worst memories from college...
  • Options

ok not only do I hate sonic youth, I do not like the ramones. nor do I like the beastie boys.

the beastie boys are dumb fun, but i dont get people that think they're amazing. i do think they were doing what run dmc did better than run dmc. that's probly pretty unfashionable.
  • Options

I agree regarding Sonic Youth and Beastie Boys.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170

edit*
    listened to the torch song, it's not bad. i don't see how it's considered punk though. sounds more like alternative a la the pixies and mudhoney to me. the singing doesn't have that usual punk sneer that annoys me. i can sorta see how it might have influenced brand new, but that's becos i see brand new as influenced mainly by alternative, not punk. i see more of the bands i just mentioned and the song you provided in brand new than i do the sex pistols or rancid or whoever else. and i just noticed on allmusic that mewithyou's first album came out in 2004, brand new's was in 2001... their second album in 03. so if anything, mewithoutyou was influenced by brand new, not the other way round. i never said anything was particularly original about brand new's last album. i like it BECAUSE it is not punk. they ditched it and went straight up alternative. it's almost like a grunge album. it's not a matter of it being original, it's a matter of it being not punk and being good. ive specifically said it was impressive becos they ditched the punk scene (their first album SUCKS) and moved to good music ;)
    I wasn't saying that mewithoutYou or that song in particular was punk, though it does get tagged as post-hardcore which is a punk offshoot. I was saying it sounds VERY similar to stuff on Brand New's latest album. As for Brand New, they used to be a pop-punk band. mewithoutYou's debut was in 2002, considerably before Brand New took their new direction. The band's have toured together so it seems likely to me that The Devil & God was very much influenced but that. I was just pointing out that bands can sound the same and be good but you have already expanded on that argument anyway so it doesn't matter.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I wasn't saying that mewithoutYou or that song in particular was punk, though it does get tagged as post-hardcore which is a punk offshoot. I was saying it sounds VERY similar to stuff on Brand New's latest album. As for Brand New, they used to be a pop-punk band. mewithoutYou's debut was in 2002, considerably before Brand New took their new direction. The band's have toured together so it seems likely to me that The Devil & God was very much influenced but that. I was just pointing out that bands can sound the same and be good but you have already expanded on that argument anyway so it doesn't matter.

yeah, i knew they used to be pop-punk. that genre is almost as annoying as punk, though for different reasons. i wouldnt be surprised if they rubbed off on each other.

i guess im confused. if you arent/werent saying mewithoutyou is punk, what does this have to do with my opinions on punk being wrong or too general? i dont dislike punk becos they all sound the same. i dislike punk becos i think it sucks and sounds terrible. the fact that a lot of them sound the same only means i end up disliking the genre instead of just one or two bands.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    boroff89 wrote:

1. The Rolling Stones are the most overrated musical act to ever walk the Earth.

I agree with these two points.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    the beastie boys are dumb fun, but i dont get people that think they're amazing. i do think they were doing what run dmc did better than run dmc. that's probly pretty unfashionable.

I'm ok with the Beastie Boys, they have fun songs. One thing that annoys me about them is they are so self important trying to save the world. This from a band who wrote "Girls" and "Fight For Your Right". I lump Green Day into the same category. From "Dookie" to telling me who to vote for.

I know people change, but it still bothers me.
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    rrivers wrote:
    I'm ok with the Beastie Boys, they have fun songs. One thing that annoys me about them is they are so self important trying to save the world. This from a band who wrote "Girls" and "Fight For Your Right". I lump Green Day into the same category. From "Dookie" to telling me who to vote for.

I know people change, but it still bothers me.

The worst part is that they did it when it became fashionable to hate the president and point out the problems with our country. They sold out big time too, they even had Green Day diaries at a jewelry store that I went to with my girlfriend. It drives me nuts how the same boring songs from American Idiot still get so much radioplay.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    The worst part is that they did it when it became fashionable to hate the president and point out the problems with our country. They sold out big time too, they even had Green Day diaries at a jewelry store that I went to with my girlfriend. It drives me nuts how the same boring songs from American Idiot still get so much radioplay.

yeah I liked the dookie days much better.
  • Options

Dookie and Insomniac are quality though I dont have any desire to listen to either of those anytime soon. I could care less about the rest of their records.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812

Oh, you just don't like them now cos they're successful :D:p

Here's my unfashionable music opinions
    ....American Idiot is a great record, start to finish.
    Guns and Roses were quite good for a time, years back.
    Pearl Jam are the most cleverly marketed band in rock music history, therefore probably the most commercial..in their own, idiosyncratic way.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Creed and Nickelback have some catchy songs that I won't skip if they come on the radio. I'm not a huge fan but a catchy song is a catchy song and I'm gonna fuckin listen to it regardless of stigma.

Pearl Jam live are a shadow of what they once were. Still great, but compared to their older performances, Vedder's voice can't cut it.

Chris Cornell does not have his voice back. It's certinally got better but he still sounds flat and boring and has none of the emotion or passion that was present in Soundgarden.

And speaking of Soungarden, their albums before Badmotorfinger (bar a couple of songs) are terrible.

Every thing released by Springsteen in the 90s was dreck, bar one or two songs off that 'Tracks' release

Neil Young has a terrible voice and makes boring music

Tom Morello needs to put the acoustic away and get out the electric for his new Nightwatchman album - or just realise that nobody really gives a shit about Nightwatchman anyway and wants another ass kicking Rage album.

Robert Plant's solo career is better than his work with Led Zep

I like "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" by Rod Stewart and I'll be dammned if anyone else tells me otherwise

Against Me! did not sell out with their new album - they simply grew up and made a great rock record that thankfully got rid of that fucking ridclious punk screaming

Dismissing entire genres of music (particularly hip hop and rap) is ridclious

That said, I generally dislike punk.

Pearl Jam have not just 'turned political' - they've always been politically active. Surely if they are getting more political, it's a reflection of the times. That said, Vedder does overdo it at concerts sometimes.

Trent Reznor is whiny and is essentially a middle aged goth, but I still love him.
  • Options
    muppet wrote:
    Tom Morello needs to put the acoustic away and get out the electric for his new Nightwatchman album - or just realise that nobody really gives a shit about Nightwatchman anyway and wants another ass kicking Rage album.

Thanks for reminding me of another one of mine. Tom Morello is a ridiculously overrated guitar player who drug Audioslave straight into the ground with his generally meaningless, umimpressive, and unnecessary solos.

Oh, and Era Vulgaris is Queens of the Stone Age's worst album.
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Yeah, I do think that Morello hindered Audioslave, and was probably the one who clashed with Cornell. He still had a few great solos in Audioslave, and his stuff in Rage is legendary.
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:

They were great. Appetite is a fantastic record. If the filler was taken off the Use Your Illusions and combined in one record, it would be just as good as Appetite.
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:
    Oh, you just don't like them now cos they're successful :D:p

Here's my unfashionable music opinions
    ....American Idiot is a great record, start to finish.
    Pearl Jam are the most cleverly marketed band in rock music history, therefore probably the most commercial..in their own, idiosyncratic way.

Pretty sure they were successful in 94 too. How else would I hear of a band when I was only like 9 or 10 years old if they werent successful.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Pretty sure they were successful in 94 too. How else would I hear of a band when I was only like 9 or 10 years old if they werent successful.

Actually, I quoted GTD, not you, it was an 'in joke'. Nevermind.:)
    Whilst we're on it, surely you admit they were nowhere near the success level in those days that A I brought them?
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    muppet wrote:
    Neil Young has a terrible voice and makes boring music

Robert Plant's solo career is better than his work with Led Zep

Pearl Jam have not just 'turned political' - they've always been politically active. Surely if they are getting more political, it's a reflection of the times. That said, Vedder does overdo it at concerts sometimes.

Trent Reznor is whiny and is essentially a middle aged goth, but I still love him.

Agree on NY.

You are insane about Plant.

I don't even know if Pearl Jam has gotten more political. Look at some of the early 90s rants against the first Bush.

Reznor is one like Green Day and Beastie Boys who now has become political. I like Reznor's music more than those two bands, but it still is annoying he is preachy now, even if I agree with him.
  • Options
    lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I disagree with every single thing you have said so I am not even gonna bother arguing with all of that.

Good. Arguing is bad for the soul and should be avoided.
    But, for a pretty opinionated young fella (and I'll fight for your right to that), you don't seem to lke opinions in others.

Here are some more unfashionable opinions.

I like Janis Jolin.
    Led Zep took blues to a whole new level, acknowledged their roots, paid royalties, and the fact that their music was derivative is an inane irrelevancy. McCready goes to SRV goes to Jimi goes to Mayfield goes to I don't know, but someone for sure.

Lukin is not a great song. In fact it is barely a song at all. It's a couple teenagers early attempt at a song, not that there is anything wrong with that. But it is not great.

The Ramones were crap.
    Dark Side of the Moon is the best album ever recorded.

Different opinions all really important.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Options
    leethalleethal Posts: 134
    My unfashionable music opinion:

I do not think it makes me cool to hate bands. I just ignore them, even if they don't go away.
  • Options
    the 1980's was the most influential decade for music. underground music.
    the Minions
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    Agree on NY.

You are insane about Plant.

I don't even know if Pearl Jam has gotten more political. Look at some of the early 90s rants against the first Bush.

Reznor is one like Green Day and Beastie Boys who now has become political. I like Reznor's music more than those two bands, but it still is annoying he is preachy now, even if I agree with him.

Its nice that he doesnt go on between songs about that stuff though, Trent rarely says anything besides thanks and thanks for coming.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options
    zeppelin is overrated

velvet underground are more important than the beatles

ani difranco is the bob dylan of my generation

frank black's best stuff is not with the pixies.