Options

Share your 'unfashionable' music opinions...

Comments

• Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Saturnal wrote:
    I think Peaches is a great artist.

Remind me - who was Peaches?
  • Options
    I like emobands. I don't like the kids that dress up and cut themselves with creditcards. I just. Like. The. Sound.

(I'm not ashamed of this. Nope. Not at all. Nu-uh.)
    C'est une belle histoire
  • Options
    gabers wrote:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=PVeCyzREpEk
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    I'll go first......

I think Editors are better than Interpol.

Oasis are the most overated band of the last 20 years.

i agree with the first one. the second one only works in england. i think in america they might be the most underrated band of the last 20 years (except for silverchair maybe).

i think hanson is a fantastic band. so is hootie and the blowfish.

jet and buckcherry are awesome.

i don't care for old school hip hop (run dmc or tribe called quest), ill take jay-z, wu tang, nwa, or most other rap over those groups any day.

also agree with whoever mentioned ten not aging well. truly classic songs on there, but the actual sound is worse every time i hear it. esp after hearing what it could have been through those rvm remixes.
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    The Doors have a listeners shelf life between 18 and 24 years old.At 25 the realisation sinks in that they were shit and that Jim Morrison was a wanker.:D :D
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Saturnal wrote:

What
    the
    hell
    was
    that
  • Options
    I actually like Staind.
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Eric Bachmann > Stephen Malkmus
    Husker Du > Pixies
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    gabers wrote:

Saw her open for NIN once, she performed in her underwear and sung a song about fucking her but besides that she was absolute garbage.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170

i don't care for old school hip hop (run dmc or tribe called quest), ill take jay-z, wu tang, nwa, or most other rap over those groups any day.
    In what sense are ATCQ more old-school than NWA?! :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    dirtyT wrote:
    hope sandoval makes me feel kinda funny.
    Funny like you might just die hearing what must be the single sexiest voice in existence? :)

if so, I agree. and that isn't unfashionable. Fade Into You makes me feel like I'm floating away into a world in which music has a hypnotic, opiate effect on you that makes everything alright.

As another opinion, Van Morrison is the best vocalist of the 60s. I swear to god, I have never heard passion like him singing the one line "I will drive my chariot down your streets and cry" on Sweet Thing from Astral Weeks before or since. Speaking of Astral Weeks, I would posit that it is in fact the only 60s album that comes near Dylan's sixties peak.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    stargirl69 wrote:
    The Doors have a listeners shelf life between 18 and 24 years old.At 25 the realisation sinks in that they were shit and that Jim Morrison was a wanker.:D :D

I tend to agree...

I don't like Radiohead but I like Coldplay (who is blown off as a Radiohead wannabe).

I don't like Wilco, but I like Ryan Adams and many Alt-Country bands.

I enjoy country music from time to time... both the "good" old stuff, and even some of the newer "pop-country" crap.

Old 97's deserve much more attention and acclaim then they have ever gotten.

Ted Leo + The Pharmacists are terribly under-rated.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    stargirl69 wrote:

I disagree. 14 to 15, at the most. :D
  • Options
    stargirl69 wrote:
    hahaha

Europeans HATE The Doors
  • Options
    lol

see?
  • Options
    Here's another one. Janis Joplin sounded like a fucking cement mixer.
  • Options

Or, better still, a fucked up cement mixer.
  • Options
    oh loyrgghd wunghtcha bagh meee a mussadeez benz
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    In what sense are ATCQ more old-school than NWA?! :D

stylistically. the understated, simple, jazzy beats with lyrics spoken over them. dont get me wrong, it's not bad. but i dont feel compelled to own any more than tribe's best of compilation. nwa brought the funk into hip hop, it was music that jammed. attitude, bass that bumped, etc. i like it better than the more mellow but "literate" or thoughtful hip hop. i feel like within the white alternative hip hop crowd that's kinda unfashionable. you're supposed to love mos def and empowerment hip hoppers. it's kinda like saying you prefer jock jams metal to intelligent indie... but i like the thug rap ;)
  • Options
    stylistically. the understated, simple, jazzy beats with lyrics spoken over them. dont get me wrong, it's not bad. but i dont feel compelled to own any more than tribe's best of compilation. nwa brought the funk into hip hop, it was music that jammed. attitude, bass that bumped, etc. i like it better than the more mellow but "literate" or thoughtful hip hop. i feel like within the white alternative hip hop crowd that's kinda unfashionable. you're supposed to love mos def and empowerment hip hoppers. it's kinda like saying you prefer jock jams metal to intelligent indie... but i like the thug rap ;)
    Oh I know, and I agree. I would much rather hear ODB saying someone will get his "teeth knocked the FUCK out" than listen to Q-Tip talking about some girl's hair but I do like ATCQ. I just meant it seemed odd saying you don't like them because they're old-school. As far as gangsta-rap goes, NWA are pretty old-school and certainly from before Tribe.

I do like the "literate" hip-hop a lot but it always tends to be for the production. As far as MCs go, I want them to tear shit up :) There is no sound on this earth as pleasing to my ears as RZA's voice when he's shouting "bring da motherfuckin' ruckus" :D
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Oh I know, and I agree. I would much rather hear ODB saying someone will get his "teeth knocked the FUCK out" than listen to Q-Tip talking about some girl's hair but I do like ATCQ. I just meant it seemed odd saying you don't like them because they're old-school. As far as gangsta-rap goes, NWA are pretty old-school and certainly from before Tribe.

I do like the "literate" hip-hop a lot but it always tends to be for the production. As far as MCs go, I want them to tear shit up :) There is no sound on this earth as pleasing to my ears as RZA's voice when he's shouting "bring da motherfuckin' ruckus" :D

exactly. or biggie's contribution to 'brooklyn's finest' on reasonable doubt. that's good shit.
  • Options
    lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Or, better still, a fucked up cement mixer.

Yes, she did, but an entertaining cement mixer.

Load era Metallica was their best work.

Stadium Arcadium is a great album.

The Beatles were total crap. Take away the hype, and the songs are barely OK. Wings era McCartney was pitiful slop.
    Lennon had some stinkers too, remember"slipping and a sliding, beeping and a hiding" or some such drivel.

Ray Charles "Genius Loves Company" also has some tripe, "Sweet potato pie" anyone ??

Emo music is pretty good, Good Charlotte still sound like the "popsicle up ass" though.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Options
    lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    All hip-hop is uniformly crap, all of it, every last stinking shred.

After me.........

Sample someone else's tune.

Lay some crap rhyme over the top.

Get some chick to sing a chorus

Set to video with big cars and over dressed dudes in nightclub.

Repeat endlessly for 10 yrs, but don't vary the formula.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    All hip-hop is uniformly crap, all of it, every last stinking shred.

After me.........

Sample someone else's tune.

Lay some crap rhyme over the top.

Get some chick to sing a chorus

Set to video with big cars and over dressed dudes in nightclub.

Repeat endlessly for 10 yrs, but don't vary the formula.

Very stereotypical view
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UEPF2CNYkfk
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    Lennon had some stinkers too, remember"slipping and a sliding, beeping and a hiding" or some such drivel.

That was a Little Richard song, one of the cornerstones of rock and roll.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I listen to more Oasis than the Beatles.

I like Justin Timberlake more than the Arcade Fire.

I fell asleep at a Rolling Stones show.

Jack Johnson is not a Musical Genius.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    I thought of another one. Ani DiFranco can fuck off as well. Overacting spoken word does not make bad poetry good poetry.
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387

Check you FPC..........:D.You must have been on a higher caliber of drugs AND at an earlier age to be ahead of the game of knowing they were shit before anyone else.Or maybe your just spppppeshal :D

I would disagree with other post "proper" Europeans love The Doors.But then their taste is often questionable. ;)
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    Lynyrd Skynyrd is rock godliness.

Soundgarden wasnt that great.

Rush fucking sucks.

Breeders better than Pixies.

U2 is and always was pop music, not rock.

thats all i got right now.

oh, and Ten is the greatest rock album ever produced
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:

Rush fucking sucks.

I never knew it was fashionable to like those wazzocks, except on here, maybe.