Petition: PUT AN END TO INFLATED PRICES AND SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICE (ITW vinyl, etc)

Comments

• hidinghiding Posts: 290
    A show is different... theres a limitation...these are all things (posters, vinyls, ect) that can be mass produced, all that matters is the amount given to the company producing it..... i give up... i feel like im beating a dead horse here.

I just think things can be done differently. If everyone just sat back and said "hey, thats just how the world works! Get used to it!" women wouldnt be voting, black people would still be owned by white people and so on and so forth.

WOW!! the black/women reference is really off topic!! it is a record!!

and why is a 10c show any different? your thought process would in terms mean the same for a show!! give it up, the horse is dead
    one love

respect
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    hiding wrote:
    and why is a 10c show any different? your thought process would in terms mean the same for a show!! give it up, the horse is dead

It is different becuase even if Pearl Jam played the biggest stadium in the world and gave away tickets for free there would still probably be people who didn't get in. But there is nothing stopping them from printing enough records for everyone, I mean they obviously printed enough copies of Versus, since you don't hear people on the board being upset that they don't have versus on CD.
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    It is different becuase even if Pearl Jam played the biggest stadium in the world and gave away tickets for free there would still probably be people who didn't get in. But there is nothing stopping them from printing enough records for everyone, I mean they obviously printed enough copies of Versus, since you don't hear people on the board being upset that they don't have versus on CD.

I think IMHO that we would have to be sure first that PJ Management had anything to do with the decision of how many of these were beeing printed.
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    "Society.... you're a crazy breed!"

It's funny that they included a single of No More....
    No More what?!

No more.... Copies of the album?
    No more.... of this bullshit where they sell them at 5am Aussie time heh
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,092
    Coincidentally the poster books are still available from 10club, and there are none for sale on ebay. I think the moral of this story is, when you make something limited edition, and cheap when there is huge demand for it prices are only going to rise. 10 club can't really control the demand but they most certainly can control the supply.
    Of course they can control the demand, by increasing the price, like they did with the poster book! From now on, everything limited edition should be expensive, even from 10C. That would solve everything! Like the poster book, there'd be no flipping.

It's not a coincidence at all. Generally, higher price = lower demand, right? Especially on a non-essential (I know, I know, you need this record!) item like this.

Would you all be happy if 10C raised their prices? Of course not. They could make unlimited supplies of everything, but how boring a place it would be if there weren't a few special things like this vinyl to make us happy...
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    hiding wrote:
    WOW!! the black/women reference is really off topic!! it is a record!!

Hey at least my comparison made sense :D
  • most people bought this vinyl because they speculated it would be worth much more....they don't care about listening to it....they just want to make $$$$

a whole bunch of people bitchin about the eBay prices would never listen to it either.

half the peeps complaining I don't ever see in the vinyl threads and prob don't even own a turntable...

if you missed the sale..so what??? you'll get one soon. the regular edition is coming out...don't sweat it
    the Minions
  • jeez... what have i created!?!

i think the main problem is everyone is breaking this shit down into very specific instances... its not about one poster... or one vinyl... or one show... i got into the vic... i got my copy of ITW... i usual get the 10C poster sales i really want... so yah... i just wanted to create a place to discuss the trend as a whole... which has really been a catalyst for a falling out amongst the PJ fans as a tight fan base... clearly this thread has only created more bad feelings... oops... time to go out and party for my birthday! be good to each other!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    sgossard3 wrote:
    jeez... what have i created!?!

i think the main problem is everyone is breaking this shit down into very specific instances... its not about one poster... or one vinyl... or one show... i got into the vic... i got my copy of ITW... i usual get the 10C poster sales i really want... so yah... i just wanted to create a place to discuss the trend as a whole... which has really been a catalyst for a falling out amongst the PJ fans as a tight fan base... clearly this thread has only created more bad feelings... oops... time to go out and party for my birthday! be good to each other!

Yeah... everyone is just reaching really far out for a little inch... doesnt work out well in an intelligent discussion :D

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Hope its a blast:)
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,494
    A show is different... theres a limitation...these are all things (posters, vinyls, ect) that can be mass produced, all that matters is the amount given to the company producing it..... i give up... i feel like im beating a dead horse here.

I just think things can be done differently. If everyone just sat back and said "hey, thats just how the world works! Get used to it!" women wouldnt be voting, black people would still be owned by white people and so on and so forth.

Wow, thats the worst comparison of ALL TIME!
    :)

Maybe if people spent time worrying about issues as important as abolishing slavery, or granting women the right to vote, as opposed to whining about an LP record, the world would be a better place.

That being said, I am gonna go donate some money to Amnesty International!
  • ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Maybe if people spent time worrying about issues as important as abolishing slavery, or granting women the right to vote, as opposed to whining about an LP record, the world would be a better place.

Does "worry about who makes it the farthest in American Idol" count?
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585

if you missed the sale..so what??? you'll get one soon. the regular edition is coming out...don't sweat it

This is a misconception. There is no regular edition.
    Everyone has the same edition, 10C, auralexploits and the record stores that are getting a few copies they all have the same exact record with the booklet and the 7".
    It's unclear how many records they pressed but they pressed whatever the amount was and part went to 10C, the other part to auralexploit and the rest to the record stores.

I just wish we knew the exact amount that was pressed.
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

I do believe, if anyone looks back on anything ive said, none of it was whining. So with that sir..... http://www.youkanfakoff.com/
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,494
    I do believe, if anyone looks back on anything ive said, none of it was whining. So with that sir..... http://www.youkanfakoff.com/

Ok, it may not be whining, but comparing the injustice of slavery to the dodgy business practices of some vinyl junkies!
  • nothing on the tv is good.. good thing I turned to channel pit..
    so much better than tv.
    "I had a false belief
    I thought I came here to stay
    We're all just visiting
    All just breaking like waves.."

07/09/06
    07/10/06
    07/15/06
  • nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    sgossard3 wrote:
    PS- please dont share any "thats just the way it is" mentalities... the same used to apply to slavery...

Isn't that where this thread should have ended?
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • I'll sign.....

I've decided to go back to my origins and just listen to the music.
    PJ has a lot of things I like, and this isnt against them, this is my way of saying screw the people who buy things and inflate the price beyond belief.
    I'll buy things at a resonable price.......everything else is now for the suckers!

I guess this means I'm an ex-sucker! feels good.

I know its addicting.......but at some point you look in your closet and then your wallet and say................................................somethings a miss.

If this isnt a problem for ya.......cool. More power to ya.
    But buying an new LP from your favorite band should not mirror buying a classic 1930's LP.

I kind of also made this choice when I say people at concerts buying dozens of posters. They come in groups and then end up on ebay.....

Fustrating...
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    its not gonna do any good, but ill sign.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • gfrasergfraser Posts: 686
    there is nothing stopping them from printing enough records for everyone, I mean they obviously printed enough copies of Versus, since you don't hear people on the board being upset that they don't have versus on CD.

a band does not have a say in how many records are produced, unless its a "band release" such as the xmas singles etc. that is left up to the record companies. open your eyes about vinyl people, its a thing of the past. record companies dont want to lose money on boxes and boxes of unsold vinyls that are just sitting around. yes just about every record thats released still gets a vinyl release but its always limited. normally a run of say 5000 copies would be plently, it just so happends that fans of pearl jam, really have a thing for vinyl which makes it harder to come by. why are ten, vs and vitalogy lps still easily available? these records sold millions and millions of copies and would be most desirable for a casual pearl jam fan.

i know the original poster wasnt just talking about the itw vinyl, it was about much more. i wouldnt want to sign a petition (although i think i am by posting) to end super limited edition items because frankly i like them. i like when im lucky enough to get one and im pissed when i dont. like the saying goes, you win some you lose some.
    This post is © by gfraser
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    LOL at this thread! People are complaining that they can't buy posters and vinyls?? Just be thankful you can afford food. You can live without that stuff. Don't whine because you can't afford it and feel you should be entitled to it. I can't afford a freakin' Ferrari (yet)...what, should I get mad at people who sell Ferrari's? At the end of the day, some products that are rare or in low supply go up in value. That's the economy. Its not the end of the world if you can't afford it. And its silly to argue that they shouldn't sell something because of its sentimental value to you. People are trying to make ends meet, you have no idea what financial situation the sellers are in.
  • nukeboot wrote:
    Isn't that where this thread should have ended?
    dont be such a racist nukeboot...

ps- i agree with what mrsvedder said... easy solution to this problem: tell us how many albums were actually pressed... if its 3,000+ i could see the price quickly dropping

• Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,823
    I admire the idea of a petition and voicing your issues Sean, and happen to agree with most of them.

Not to be a glass is half-empty person, because I'm really not, but this whole situation reminds of a certain band that tried to go up against Ticketmaster, and we all know how that went down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

Like someone said about the Bentley & Picasso.. and just like ticket scalpers.. there will always be someone out there who's feeding the machine, even if you don't.

I don't have an answer for the big picture, but I think it's a great topic for discussion.

and p.s. - Happy Birthday! :)
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Foxy Mop wrote:
    I admire the idea of a petition and voicing your issues Sean, and happen to agree with most of them.

Not to be a glass is half-empty person, because I'm really not, but this whole situation reminds of a certain band that tried to go up against Ticketmaster, and we all know how that went down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

Like someone said about the Bentley & Picasso.. and just like ticket scalpers.. there will always be someone out there who's feeding the machine, even if you don't.

I don't have an answer for the big picture, but I think it's a great topic for discussion.

and p.s. - Happy Birthday! :)
    thanks for comparing me to PJ v. TM :D

thats the best gift i couldve asked for!

• Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,823
    sgossard3 wrote:
    thanks for comparing me to PJ v. TM :D

thats the best gift i couldve asked for!

Hehe I guess it's just a comparison of posters, tickets, anything that is considered 'of value'.. An analogy of going against the seemingly unchangeable/impossible.

Admittedly I'm part of I guess would be considered the 'problem' too - I've done the travel pack, bought merch, tickets, and even a few collectors items from the early '90's that I regretted not getting back then. We were both at the Vic.. and it killed even then to leave so many friends back at that bar who weren't able to get in.

There was a great thread about poster prices, poster runs, valuation et all awhile back - lots of great ideas.

*edit*
    I'm realizing that a) it's past my bedtime and b) my posts aren't really making a point, so c) I'm going to sleep :)
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Foxy Mop wrote:
    We were both at the Vic.. and it killed even then to leave so many friends back at that bar who weren't able to get in.

Cough Cough :D

Consider this a signature and Happy Birthday Sean!
    NERDS!
  • HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Whatever happened to petitions being actually signed, instead of these 'thread on a board' half-arsed attempts?

This will have just as much impact as the Tour The South 'Petition'.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    gfraser wrote:
    a band does not have a say in how many records are produced, unless its a "band release" such as the xmas singles etc. that is left up to the record companies. open your eyes about vinyl people, its a thing of the past. record companies dont want to lose money on boxes and boxes of unsold vinyls that are just sitting around. yes just about every record thats released still gets a vinyl release but its always limited. normally a run of say 5000 copies would be plently, it just so happends that fans of pearl jam, really have a thing for vinyl which makes it harder to come by. why are ten, vs and vitalogy lps still easily available? these records sold millions and millions of copies and would be most desirable for a casual pearl jam fan.

i know the original poster wasnt just talking about the itw vinyl, it was about much more. i wouldnt want to sign a petition (although i think i am by posting) to end super limited edition items because frankly i like them. i like when im lucky enough to get one and im pissed when i dont. like the saying goes, you win some you lose some.

You actually think a band at the level of Pearl Jam has no say in how their music is distrubuted? This is not some indie band on their first major label release. This is the band that was able to get their record company to release offical CDs for every concert in their 2000 and 2003 tours. I think a band with that much power could easily say give input into how many records they want made, especially when the store they own is the major seller of them.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,060
    this is a really fucking easy conundrum,

either stop making ltd quantities, make everything available to every ten club member, and price things properly making the band money not others.

I have no trouble people selling their things, for fucks sake everything is worth something in the world, if that someone has the money they will spend it, I really and simply do not see the problem, sure it sucks missing out, and to that extent, all tenclub members should be able to buy everything that is released. only real way of solving but that spoils the joy of collecting.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    sgossard3 wrote:
    Something needs to be done about whats going on... I have been aware for sometime of the unfairly inflated prices on posters and albums... I know its just a part of living in a consumer society... I know theres a lot of people who dont care and dismiss it by saying they dont care about posters or vinyl... but THIS IS A GROWING TREND! it is going to be everyones problem really soon and we need to as a fan base reach some sort of an agreement to put an end to these business practices... this is not an attack at the 10C! they go above and beyond all the time! for anyone to look past our own collective greed and blame them is ridiculous... The market is beginning to see just how greedy and stupid we can be with all thing PJ and they are going to accordingly raise their prices... soon ticket prices will be equally through the roof... put an end to record store owners immediately putting ITW vinyl on ebay instead of selling them at retail as they should! SIGN THIS PETITION SO 10C SEES HOW LARGE THIS PROBLEM IS!

Sounds like someone forgot to be at their computer at 1 pm Pacific time last Monday.
  • It's just stuff, people. I thought Pearl Jam was supposed to be about the music.
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there...