Petition: PUT AN END TO INFLATED PRICES AND SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICE (ITW vinyl, etc)

Comments

• DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    You do realize that in doing so... you are making the situation worse?
    You are literally making it impossible for someone like me, to obtain these things in a plausible manner. So for that, i hold you personally responsible and would probably challange you to an arm wrestle if i ever see you.

Your right, if you have the means... FUCK EVERYONE ELSE in the process. Real class act ;) Its people with that mentality that are screwing things up for the rest of us.

Ummmm you know what I say to this? Too fucking bad. Don't have the money? Get a second job. Still don't have the money? Get a third job. If you really want something then you will have no problem working for it.

Yeah I'm not going to buy something because you can't afford it. JESUS EFFN CHRIST!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• If you want something really bad. Sometimes you have to pay more for it. I do think it does or has got out of control with some 10c merch items. But it's not just PJ stuff. Everything is this world has a price. It's just a matter of how much each person wants or can afford to pay. Just my two cents on this cold morning.
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,680
    Danimal wrote:
    Ummmm you know what I say to this? Too fucking bad. Don't have the money? Get a second job. Still don't have the money? Get a third job. If you really want something then you will have no problem working for it.

Yeah I'm not going to buy something because you can't afford it. JESUS EFFN CHRIST!

Well said.

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• i've seen quite a few replies on this thread talking about supply and demand and saying "thats just the way it is". surely (and please correct me if i'm wrong!), what the original poster was suggesting was that we sign this petition and make a conscious effort to LOWER THE DEMAND so that these people can't charge the ridiculous prices. i thought as fans of a band who care about these kinds of things there would be some common ground on this issue. i would have hoped that more than about 10 people who read these forums would agree and would have a little more thought and respect for other Pearl Jam fans, but obviously not.
    add another name to the petition
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    i've seen quite a few replies on this thread talking about supply and demand and saying "thats just the way it is". surely (and please correct me if i'm wrong!), what the original poster was suggesting was that we sign this petition and make a conscious effort to LOWER THE DEMAND so that these people can't charge the ridiculous prices. i thought as fans of a band who care about these kinds of things there would be some common ground on this issue. i would have hoped that more than about 10 people who read these forums would agree and would have a little more thought and respect for other Pearl Jam fans, but obviously not.
    add another name to the petition

But if you lower demand how do you decide who gets the stuff? I mean for example if there are only 1000 records and 10,000 people want it how do you decide who gets it?
  • Im not attacking you personally...But there is no denying that you are part of the problem if you are buying into it. I dont want you to be concerned for me, i dont expect you to be. Like i said 90 percent of people are shelfish assholes. I found it very tasteless that you would be so bold to say "Some punk isnt gonna tell me what to do with my money!!"

The dude has a point and a good idea at that... a very valid one and i thought you were very disrespectful to that, thats what upsets me.

and listen. I have two jobs, that i work very hard at but barely keep my head above water. but you know what? My mommy and daddy didnt buy me a car, a college education none of that good shit. So yeah, i might be pretty average when it comes to money making but even if i had a million dollars in the bank, i wouldnt buy stuff for triple the price. Its unbelievable. You want to spend 600 dollars on a stupid poster? Be my guest, the only reason i care is because since you spent 600 dollars on a poster... i cant afford to buy the poster as a reminder from a show i attended.... you should just be aware that your actions do have an effect on others.

Is this a joke...
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    But if you lower demand how do you decide who gets the stuff? I mean for example if there are only 1000 records and 10,000 people want it how do you decide who gets it?

I think, from this thread and others, the general gist of things is that the people posting would like to see enough goods made to supply the demand. I don't think they really meant to lower the demand, but rather for eager fans/collectors to curb their enthusiasm when wanting something (ITW for example) at any price. If the market knows there will be crazy fans ready to pounce on anything PJ at any price, this will continue. If these fans want all that it PJ, this kind of stuff will go on and on...

If one takes your example, the 9,000 who did not get it would be creating a good number of threads like we are seeing for ITW or posters, etc.

I feel a song coming... 'You can't always get what you want.....'
  • If you want something really bad. Sometimes you have to pay more for it. I do think it does or has got out of control with some 10c merch items. But it's not just PJ stuff. Everything is this world has a price. It's just a matter of how much each person wants or can afford to pay. Just my two cents on this cold morning.

BINGO!
    I hate this boad anymore, it's just not the same.
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Is this a joke...

I hear ya. This chick lives on another fucking planet.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Danimal wrote:
    I hear ya. This chick lives on another fucking planet.

I can honestly say that I've worked my ass off and deserve what ever I can afford and want to buy, right?! Just because she hasn't doesn't mean that whomever can't buy what ever they want when ever they want it.

Everyone in this country has the same opportunities to gain a successful life due to democracy. Just because she didn't make the same choices as the people who have the money doesn't mean we should feel bad for her or hinder our ability to buy whatever we want. I understand the frustrations, but there’s nothing you can do about it, but accept it. Save your money work harder, what else can you say. My mommy didn’t buy my 1st car or college education, everything I own and have is something I’ve earned myself.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,961
    wow

the problem is with the auction sites

it has made everyone and thier mother an entrepreneur.

it was never this hard to get stuff five years ago, and the prices, with a few exceptions, were a more reasonable

more people are buying items for the limited purpose of reselling for profit and there is not a whole lot the 10c can do about it-they are not an enforcement agency

the whole point of being in business is to make a profit-why wouldnt a record store owner sell them on ebay instead if he can make more money?

Thats smart business-maximizing your profits.
  • Igottago wrote:
    LOL at this thread! People are complaining that they can't buy posters and vinyls?? Just be thankful you can afford food. You can live without that stuff. Don't whine because you can't afford it and feel you should be entitled to it. I can't afford a freakin' Ferrari (yet)...what, should I get mad at people who sell Ferrari's? At the end of the day, some products that are rare or in low supply go up in value. That's the economy. Its not the end of the world if you can't afford it. And its silly to argue that they shouldn't sell something because of its sentimental value to you. People are trying to make ends meet, you have no idea what financial situation the sellers are in.

This person is waaaaaaay too rational for this thread.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    sgossard3 wrote:
    dont be such a racist nukeboot...

LOL

If you only knew how funny that is.

Supply and demand driven prices of LPs in no way compares to the outrage of slavery.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • nukeboot wrote:
    LOL

If you only knew how funny that is.

Supply and demand driven prices of LPs in no way compares to the outrage of slavery.
    i know how funny it is... it was a joke... just cause im serious about this issue doesnt mean i cant try to lighten the mood...

and i cant reiterate enough that this isnt about physical objects any more than PJ's fight against ticketmaster was about the extra $30 that people wouldve been more than willing to pay... someone said it well a few posts above this... im not telling people what they can and cant buy i just think its common sense for us all agree to stop buying this shit for awhile until the price drops... there i go whining again about how i cant afford anything :rolleyes: ... to whoever suggested i take on 2 or 3 jobs just to afford fuckin posters... HA! i realize i am incredibly fortunate to live the way i do at all... i just wish these sellers would feel the same (i cant speak for all, some may have legitimate reason for having to sell and make the most profit possible)

im sick of having to sit in the back of the bus! :p
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    edited July 2012
    Post edited by Fahka on
    sgossard3 wrote:
    i know how funny it is... it was a joke... just cause im serious about this issue doesnt mean i cant try to lighten the mood...

I have a really good sense of humor, but that just wasn't funny.

Points for trying though...
    You guys are a bunch of flunky nazis...

While we're at it, Nazi jokes are never funny either.

;)
    Get_Right wrote:
    wow

the problem is with the auction sites

it has made everyone and thier mother an entrepreneur.

it was never this hard to get stuff five years ago, and the prices, with a few exceptions, were a more reasonable

more people are buying items for the limited purpose of reselling for profit and there is not a whole lot the 10c can do about it-they are not an enforcement agency

the whole point of being in business is to make a profit-why wouldnt a record store owner sell them on ebay instead if he can make more money?

Thats smart business-maximizing your profits.

It just really blows... for us people who cant fit a third job into an already 6 day a week job ;) Oh i forgot... if i want a record i should work harder for one!
  • You guys are fucking retarded. I used the slavery comparision to say, if your just quiet and let things stay the way they are , nothing will change

You guys are a bunch of flunky nazis...
    is it that much of a stretch? vinyl is black... slaves were black... :p

seriously tho... i think its a perfectly adequate comparison for the state of mind we were in then and are in now... contentment and indifference are the reasons injustice is able to survive... so to argue that you cant put a stop to this because people are making money off of this and its a capitalist society and theyre free to do what they want... well, there were alot of people making money off of slavery too... i know its a stretch but if theres anything ive learned from my good friend ( ;) ) michael moore, youve gotta use extremes to get a point across!

if nothing else gang... maybe 10C will see this and say... these people are comparing us to thomas jefferson... lets emmancipate all those extra copies of everything we've been hoarding over the years :D

nukeboot wrote:
    While we're at it, Nazi jokes are never funny either.

;)

While we're at it.... nobody really gives a hoot what you think is funny...

wasnt even a joke.... some people on this thread actually are nazis and flunkies, all rolled into one..
    edited July 2012
    Post edited by Fahka on
  • Oh my god... i cant believe you are suggesting that we could actually make a difference! We are only humans in a world of capitalism.. we have no grounds to stand on... none what so ever....
    youre right... we need a corporate sponser to help us get the word out... ill give AT&T a call

quote]

You seem to.

Have a great day.
  • nukeboot wrote:
    quote]

You seem to.

Have a great day.
    oooOOOooo... who says you get to have the last word?? i love it when people have a lil argument around here and one of them ends it with "have a great day" :D ... its like throwing a lil jab and then running off thinking youre still the better man

honestly tho no does "give a hoot"... at this point my frustration has warn off and has turned into disbelief at the opinions of so many... the only thing i can do is try to have some fun (entertaining myself exclusively) and keep bumpin my lil thread for other like minded individuals...

You have a super day too!

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,494

wasnt even a joke.... some people on this thread actually are nazis and flunkies, all rolled into one..

So, the injustices suffered as a result of the vinyl sale are tantamount to those of slavery/diallowing people to vote?

-and-

the people who have a go at you are tantamount to those who killed 10,000,000 people in World War II ?
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    So, the injustices suffered as a result of the vinyl sale are tantamount to those of slavery/diallowing people to vote?

-and-

the people who have a go at you are tantamount to those who killed 10,000,000 people in World War II ?
    and you sir... perhaps take things far too literally... plus i happen to know that the man using the message pit name "baronvonjewhater" was tried at nuremberg... i believe his favorite song is "pilate"

• prices are driven up by demand too you know. if you want useless consumer goods like copies of albums you already have so you can look all indie and hip with your vinyl collection, then learn to pay the market price (which is too low to begin with- have you ever considered the cost of having that vinyl sit in a landfill for 2000 years after you die? who's covering that cost?). It is NOT a big problem. These are luxury goods. There are bigger fish to fry in the economy, trust me.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,494
    sgossard3 wrote:
    and you sir... perhaps take things far too literally... plus i happen to know that the man using the message pit name "baronvonjewhater" was tried at nuremberg... i believe his favorite song is "pilate"

Wow, thats a terrible name....can you please start a petition to undo that injustice as well.

I wonder if the baron can use his title to get your "vinyl" petition into the hands of some important people!
    :)
  • prices are driven up by demand too you know. if you want useless consumer goods like copies of albums you already have so you can look all indie and hip with your vinyl collection, then learn to pay the market price (which is too low to begin with- have you ever considered the cost of having that vinyl sit in a landfill for 2000 years after you die? who's covering that cost?). It is NOT a big problem. These are luxury goods. There are bigger fish to fry in the economy, trust me.
    jesus folks... will someone please see the big picture?!? i have all the vinyl i want... im a vinyl collector... most of what i collect is far older than PJ because thats the stuff that really deserves to be listened to in the vinyl format... also i am not a hardcore environmentalist so im just gonna assume my vinyl will be passed down from generation to generation free of problems...

its not about the "goods" at all... its about people... and how people treat people... collectively this world is forgetting how to interact with one another... and the only generation that had a damn clue is beginning to die off little by little leaving all the 20's something around solely lookin to make a buck... id say we need a good great depression to get our priorities back in order

• JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Wow, thats a terrible name....can you please start a petition to undo that injustice as well.

I wonder if the baron can use his title to get your "vinyl" petition into the hands of some important people!
    :)
    im pretty sure if i were to print off my petition and give it to the baron it would end up in a bonfire... hes not a fan of printed words... or jews