Petition: PUT AN END TO INFLATED PRICES AND SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICE (ITW vinyl, etc)

123457»

Comments

• JSBE wrote:
    i understand exactly what you mean, but dude, didn't you see you were not supposed to say that just how things are?
    i also said id prefer no sarcasm... but whos keeping track :p

i just think concentrating on "how thing are" doesnt really move a conversation in any direction... if were just gonna dwell on the present theres no point in a conversation at all... and thats all this is... its not a debate... afterall, who would want to argue with a kind hearted idealist like myself :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I didn't even know this vinyl was out or coming out. Nor do I care. This PJ fan radicalism is just stupid. I come here once in a while to see whats up with the band, and all I see are people starting petitions whining about this record, or those tickets, or that underwear for sale. Seriously what an annoying fanbase. Like someone said before, PJ fans are complete sheep, and the Pearl Jam organization will easily be able to milk these obsessed fans for years to come. Now I know why they keep releasing redundant live DVD's and CD's...because they know people will desperately buy it. Great business model on PJ's part.

Seriously, if you want to start a cause, maybe it should be a little more important than not getting a freakin' record.
  • Igottago wrote:
    I didn't even know this vinyl was out or coming out. Nor do I care. This PJ fan radicalism is just stupid. I come here once in a while to see whats up with the band, and all I see are people starting petitions whining about this record, or those tickets, or that underwear for sale. Seriously what an annoying fanbase. Like someone said before, PJ fans are complete sheep, and the Pearl Jam organization will easily be able to milk these obsessed fans for years to come. Now I know why they keep releasing redundant live DVD's and CD's...because they know people will desperately buy it. Great business model on PJ's part.

Seriously, if you want to start a cause, maybe it should be a little more important than not getting a freakin' record.
    how bout this... for every person that takes the time to read this thread and know what its about AND post something constructive... i will donate $5 to the charity of your choice... looks like i will not be donating for your post considering the exact problem you addressed is the very reason i started this thread... its not about the album (which i have) its about ending our reputation as "sheep"

• IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    sgossard3 wrote:
    how bout this... for every person that takes the time to read this thread and know what its about AND post something constructive... i will donate $5 to the charity of your choice... looks like i will not be donating for your post considering the exact problem you addressed is the very reason i started this thread... its not about the album (which i have) its about ending our reputation as "sheep"

Well the only people that can end that reputation are the consumers (ie. the Pearl Jam fanatics) who are paying an arm and a leg for something they think they really must have. But I can't see that happening since many people here feel like they have to own every piece of Pearl Jam merchandise to show how great of a fan they are. So to all the people making great money off these products, I say, great job, keep up the good work.

Now where's my unopened Benaroya vinyl? Ebay, here I come.
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    Cosmo wrote:
    Pre-Order is fine. But, who do you take? The first 2,000 that order or toss the 5,000 in a hat and pull 2,000 names?
    I think the first come, first served rule should apply. I mean, that's how it works at General Admission gigs. right?

The whole point of pre-orders is that you make enough items for everyone who pre-orders. If 1,000 people order you make 1,000 copies, if 10,000 people order you make 10,000. Give people like 2 weeks to get there order in so no on can complain that they weren't on the computer that day. Since people are paying upfront the production costs are taken care of. You could even have some clause where if only 100 orders are received nothing will be produced and refunds will be issued (which I doubt will be a problem since everytime something Limited Edition is made it seems to sell out-Polo Shirts, Into the Wild). I have seen this method work very successfully in other websites.
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Kel you are exactly right... but i wouldnt waste your smartness on this thread.. Way too man uptight, self centered, overly deffensive D bags on here to even bother with it.

What this thread stands for is trying to make things better for people who obviously, beyond reason, have been done wrong.. Trust me, im not the only person here BY far who is in their "own world" ;)

Other people feel this way too. This was a petition. If you dont agree with it, take your ass to ebay.com and buy something expensive... Why even bother commenting (in a really twatty manner no less) I guess the internet is not a place known for it's couth unfortunately
  • Unless you want ed and the boys to perform out of their garage for free..which might not be a bad thing...then there is nothing they can do that they haven't already done. Their ticket prices are under $60 which is well below average. They give portions of every show to charity. They are very concious of the enviromental impact they have and they try to adjust accordingly. They go above and beyond to make sure their albums and goods come from sources that are also enviromentaly councious and don't use third world labor. They challenged Ticketmaster in the middle of their career and basically committed suicide by doing so...how much more do you want them to do. I agree with the problem but the solution is not anything pearl jam can do, the solution is changing out of the failing capitalist economy. Im not saying what we should switch to because the other models we currently have don't work/haven't worked. So yeah hope this helps
    "Being undecided...it's dangerous. And I'll give you a perfect example: people with mullets, that's indecision."-EV

9/28/05-PNC
    5/30/06-DC
    6/23/06-Pittsburgh
    edited July 2012
    Post edited by Fahka on
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    The whole point of pre-orders is that you make enough items for everyone who pre-orders. If 1,000 people order you make 1,000 copies, if 10,000 people order you make 10,000. Give people like 2 weeks to get there order in so no on can complain that they weren't on the computer that day. Since people are paying upfront the production costs are taken care of. You could even have some clause where if only 100 orders are received nothing will be produced and refunds will be issued (which I doubt will be a problem since everytime something Limited Edition is made it seems to sell out-Polo Shirts, Into the Wild). I have seen this method work very successfully in other websites.
    That'd be great if the 10C owned the distribution rights or the manufacturing rights of said items.

Also, it wasn't a "pre-order," it was a "pre-sale."
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Other websites producing what types of products? I'm curious because I work in a large manufacturing facility and see the different factors in producing a physical product.
    The thing is... what is the lead time? I mean, how long will it take from conception to actual receipt? Making one run for a manufacturer is the most cost efficient method. It costs more money to restart a production run than to just punch out a predetermined number. The more it costs to manufacture, the higher the retail price is going to be.
    I'm not arguing about the pre-sale idea... but, you have to factor in the costs and work out a schedule for production. Plus, you have to remember... this is not a large scale operation we are talking about here... this is a little Fan Club for one band.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
    edited July 2012
    Post edited by Fahka on
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    well , it is only limited liabilty :D However, the little "company" still goes to a wholesale company, and orders these things no? ten c is bigger business than i think any of us could actually realize :P Not that its band or anything but..
    When he said this is a little fan club for one band - I believe he is comparing the buying power and selling abilities of the 10C to say a corporate run fan club business that runs fan clubs for many different artists and groups. Those corporate run fan clubs are hired by the bands management and they run fan clubs for many, many different bands and artists. On the contrary, the Ten Club was started from the ground up by Pearl Jam themselves. And to this day, it is still ran in-house. They have never given their fan club responsibilities over to an outside corporate entity. And the only band they run a fan club for is Pearl Jam. They still work directly with the band. So, in those regards, the Ten Club is a very small organization.
    well , it is only limited liabilty :D However, the little "company" still goes to a wholesale company, and orders these things no? ten c is bigger business than i think any of us could actually realize :P Not that its band or anything but..
    But in comparison to Sony/BMG and other large companies with vast resources... it's a tiny fish. if Sony/BMG places an order to hundreds of thousands of copies for hundreds of different product runs... little J Records has to fit into that vinyl producing company's production schedule, right?
    I don't think it's a bad thing... the Fan Club ordering and running off a limited number of items. It's the availability of those items to the members at large that is the issue, right?
    Plus... WE are our biggest enemies. WE are the ones driving up the prices by paying these ridiculous prices... whether it's Vinly LPs or posters.
    I collect things because I love them... not for their speculated monetary values.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
    aNiMaL wrote:
    When he said this is a little fan club for one band - I believe he is comparing the buying power and selling abilities of the 10C to say a corporate run fan club business that runs fan clubs for many different artists and groups. Those corporate run fan clubs are hired by the bands management and they run fan clubs for many, many different bands and artists. On the contrary, the Ten Club was started from the ground up by Pearl Jam themselves. And to this day, it is still ran in-house. They have never given their fan club responsibilities over to an outside corporate entity. And the only band they run a fan club for is Pearl Jam. They still work directly with the band. So, in those regards, the Ten Club is a very small organization.

Oh im sorry cosmo

:P

Good point.. and thanks for the info.

Cosmo... you are totally right about that.. we are our own worst enemies... i think that maybe if we , as a whole, worked together and did even the smallest thing, you never know... this problem may never happen again (im not whining, i understand i cant own everything, i've just found almost impossible (in my tryings) to obtain things a majority of the time... thats all)
    Oh im sorry cosmo

:P

Good point.. and thanks for the info.

Cosmo... you are totally right about that.. we are our own worst enemies... i think that maybe if we , as a whole, worked together and did even the smallest thing, you never know... this problem may never happen again (im not whining, i understand i cant own everything, i've just found almost impossible to obtain things a majority of the time... thats all)
    Oh, I understand. and I think the FANS should get first crack at anything band related... whether it's concert tickets, posters or vinyl.
    A couple of things I **WISHED** the fan club did...
    Offer up a concert poster when we order our tickets. I mean, if I'm going to go to the L.A. and San Diego gigs and I order up a pair of tickets, give me the option to purchase the poster (sight unseen). I think most people want the poster of the show they've actually witnessed, right? And how many of us have gone to the shows and been shut out of the posters? Again.. the usual run of posters... sold with the tickets... mailed to your home so they don't get crushed at the gig... with the remaining unsold units going to the gigs for sale at the merch table.
    Special 'Limited Editions'... as said throughout this thread... give us first shot at the entire run. If we buy them all... good. If not, sell the remainder from the website's 'Goods' section.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Cosmo wrote:
    Oh, I understand. and I think the FANS should get first crack at anything band related... whether it's concert tickets, posters or vinyl.
    A couple of things I **WISHED** the fan club did...
    Offer up a concert poster when we order our tickets. I mean, if I'm going to go to the L.A. and San Diego gigs and I order up a pair of tickets, give me the option to purchase the poster (sight unseen). I think most people want the poster of the show they've actually witnessed, right? And how many of us have gone to the shows and been shut out of the posters? Again.. the usual run of posters... sold with the tickets... mailed to your home so they don't get crushed at the gig... with the remaining unsold units going to the gigs for sale at the merch table.
    Special 'Limited Editions'... as said throughout this thread... give us first shot at the entire run. If we buy them all... good. If not, sell the remainder from the website's 'Goods' section.
    all good ideas! glad i could step away for awhile and people got some good stuff to say! i hope the ten club reads some of these ideas and considers them!

• Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    Cosmo wrote:
    Other websites producing what types of products? I'm curious because I work in a large manufacturing facility and see the different factors in producing a physical product.
    The thing is... what is the lead time? I mean, how long will it take from conception to actual receipt? Making one run for a manufacturer is the most cost efficient method. It costs more money to restart a production run than to just punch out a predetermined number. The more it costs to manufacture, the higher the retail price is going to be.
    I'm not arguing about the pre-sale idea... but, you have to factor in the costs and work out a schedule for production. Plus, you have to remember... this is not a large scale operation we are talking about here... this is a little Fan Club for one band.

I am not sure what the lead time is on a record (I can't see it being more than a few months, especially for something already released on CD), but I am sure there are a ton of fans who would be willing to wait if they were assured something they want. One of the other websites I know that did this was doing custom t-shirt designs, and at the time they were way way smaller than 10club. And I totally understand that a single run is the most cost effective way to do things, so you just pick a minimum number to sell and a price point so that you assure a profit. Or 10 club could take a risk like every other business does and either make a profit or take a loss; and don't have a minimum number. And if it is something that is going to be made anyways, and probably going to sell like crazy, why not make enough for everyone.

As far as this not being a large scale operation, I think it is a lot larger than some people think. I get the feeling that many people think it is some guy working in his mom's basement, rather than a real business. This is the fan club that put out Beneroya on vinyl, and this is the band that was able to get their label to put out 100's of offical bootlegs on CD.
  • Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,823
    aNiMaL wrote:

Actually for IIC they used Brickfish to handle the banner contest and D&E Entertainment for the movie distribution :) There are probably other select instance, but yeah, compared to many other comparable bands, they are one of, if not the most, hands on.
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    Cosmo wrote:

that's a great idea and all, but who decides currently to only make X number of ames or klausen or whomever gig posters? i would think that the artist is making the decision that they only want to produce X number of a certain print, knowing damn well that it is considered limited edition art. (side note: would anyone actually buy a poster sight unseen? i mean, there are some ugly posters out there).

i guess this all goes back to the main objection that i have along with some others...

why do some people feel that they have to get everything they want? or at the very least feel that they should be offered a definite chance to purchase something?

and why don't some people understand simple supply vs. demand principals?

and why does it matter to these people if someone buys (insert item here) for 10 times the retail price on ebay or through some secondary market? are these people going to offer something a little (or very) hard to find to someone that wants one at a discounted or original retail price? i think not - mostly because they're going to keep the item in their collection - but for hypothetical argumentative sake, would they?

i didn't get an into the wild vinyl and i would really like one. who is going to sell me one for $20? i missed the boat on the benaroya vinyl for some reason. that was like $40-45, right? who is going to sell me one of those? oh, and i would really like a 98 boston ames poster, signed and numbered if possible. those were my first pearl jam shows and i got there late, missed ben harper and everything - stupid traffic. anyways, i would like a keepsake memory i could hang on the wall. those were, what, $15-20 at the show. who is going to sell me one of those?
  • Here's an idea! Why don't all you people bitching and complaining about the way things "should be" go start your own businesses so you can run things exactly the way you want. Otherwise, shut up already! We live in a free society. Either stop crying about how unfair things are or move to Russia. They'll give you all the government control you can handle! Who are you to tell people what they should or shouldn't do with their own property.
    And what's behind this whole idea that it's the people that pay the inflated prices that are the problem? I buy things off ebay all the time. I love hanging super expensive, rare PJ posters on my walls. To me, they're worth what I pay. Do I want to pay those high prices? No, but I do because I can. Should I apologize to those of you who can't? To me, this thread is just about a bunch of crybabies unable to accept the fact that they can't always have what they want. Before you start freaking out and telling me all about your great job and all your money, and how you just choose to not pay those prices based on ideals, that's great. I'm proud of you. But I don't care. Just like you shouldn't really give a shit about other people's business.
    Go ahead. Try to tell me that I'm not a real fan and that I don't live up to your perceived impression of what PJ's ideals are. The fact is that I, like many other people, just like to collect all things PJ. Pretty simple. Feel free to call me a sheep or a pig or whatever other barnyard animal you can think of. Honestly, it would suck all the fun out it for me if my collection (of records and posters) was the exact same as everyone else's. If that pisses you off that much, maybe you should spend less time worrying about a $20 record and a little more time worrying about why you're such a miserable person.

P.S. I do have an unopened Benaroya
    92xxx
  • Here's an idea! Why don't all you people bitching and complaining about the way things "should be" go start your own businesses so you can run things exactly the way you want. Otherwise, shut up already! We live in a free society. Either stop crying about how unfair things are or move to Russia. They'll give you all the government control you can handle! Who are you to tell people what they should or shouldn't do with their own property.
    And what's behind this whole idea that it's the people that pay the inflated prices that are the problem? I buy things off ebay all the time. I love hanging super expensive, rare PJ posters on my walls. To me, they're worth what I pay. Do I want to pay those high prices? No, but I do because I can. Should I apologize to those of you you can't? To me, this thread is just about a bunch of crybabies unable to accept the fact that they can't always have what they want. Before you start freaking out and telling me all about your great job and all your money, and how you just choose to not pay those prices based on ideals, that's great. I'm proud of you. But I don't care. Just like you shouldn't really give a shit about other people's business.
    Go ahead. Try to tell me that I'm not a real fan and that I don't live up to your perceived impression of what PJ's ideals are. The fact is that I, like many other people, just like to collect all things PJ. Pretty simple. Feel free to call me a sheep or a pig or whatever other barnyard animal you can think of. Honestly, it would suck all the fun out it for me if my collection (of records and posters) was the exact same as everyone else's. If that pisses you off that much, maybe you should spend less time worrying about a $20 record and a little more time worrying about why you're such a miserable person.

I am actually a very content person... i have what i want and have the luxury of a very flexible income... itd be nice IMO for younger fans just getting into the band now adays to be able to afford it tho... congrats on your beny vinyl... thank you for your opinion... in the future consider letting a thread no longer on the main page stay off rather than bumping it with an extremely negative and pointless post... clearly youd prefer for less people to read the thread yet your action have made that possible... kudos

Here's an idea! Why don't all you people bitching and complaining about the way things "should be" go start your own businesses so you can run things exactly the way you want. Otherwise, shut up already! We live in a free society. Either stop crying about how unfair things are or move to Russia. They'll give you all the government control you can handle! Who are you to tell people what they should or shouldn't do with their own property.
    And what's behind this whole idea that it's the people that pay the inflated prices that are the problem? I buy things off ebay all the time. I love hanging super expensive, rare PJ posters on my walls. To me, they're worth what I pay. Do I want to pay those high prices? No, but I do because I can. Should I apologize to those of you you can't? To me, this thread is just about a bunch of crybabies unable to accept the fact that they can't always have what they want. Before you start freaking out and telling me all about your great job and all your money, and how you just choose to not pay those prices based on ideals, that's great. I'm proud of you. But I don't care. Just like you shouldn't really give a shit about other people's business.

HERES AN IDEA!

Read the thread and what people are actually saying before you comment ignorantly