Petition: PUT AN END TO INFLATED PRICES AND SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICE (ITW vinyl, etc)

Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
edited January 2008 in The Porch
Something needs to be done about whats going on... I have been aware for sometime of the unfairly inflated prices on posters and albums... I know its just a part of living in a consumer society... I know theres a lot of people who dont care and dismiss it by saying they dont care about posters or vinyl... but THIS IS A GROWING TREND! it is going to be everyones problem really soon and we need to as a fan base reach some sort of an agreement to put an end to these business practices... this is not an attack at the 10C! they go above and beyond all the time! for anyone to look past our own collective greed and blame them is ridiculous... The market is beginning to see just how greedy and stupid we can be with all thing PJ and they are going to accordingly raise their prices... soon ticket prices will be equally through the roof... put an end to record store owners immediately putting ITW vinyl on ebay instead of selling them at retail as they should! SIGN THIS PETITION SO 10C SEES HOW LARGE THIS PROBLEM IS!
"Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• One word.....CAPITALISM. It's the society in which we live. What do you expect 10C to do? People are still going to buy and resell no matter what as long as there is demand. The problem is 10C it's the people out there willing to consume and pay these prices.
    Intelligence is the key and she was locked out

Let's Just Pop a Few Yards of Bubble Wrap and Call It a Day!

Don't Die Wondering

• PS- please dont share any "thats just the way it is" mentalities... the same used to apply to slavery...

I wanna draw some serious attention to just how big this problem is becoming... to the fan base... to the people that decide how high these prices get... surely everyone must be sick of paying top dollar for pieces of paper and circles or plastic... well then... stop buying them at these high prices! i know its been said before! i know im beating a dead horse! theres just something about hearing about these records stores and ITW that really set me off today and made me realize how bad its become...

WE NEED TO AGREE AS A FAN BASE TO QUIT BUYING THIS SHIT AT THESE HIGH PRICES... WE NEED TO QUIT OVERREACTED EVERY TIME SOMETHING GOES ON SALE...

theres going to always be people out there looking to make a buck... it SHOULD NOT become the standard!

• FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    TacoJammer wrote:
    One word.....CAPITALISM. It's the society in which we live. What do you expect 10C to do? People are still going to buy and resell no matter what as long as there is demand. The problem is 10C it's the people out there willing to consume and pay these prices.

If its easily avaliable at a decent price through ten c in mass quantities... you WILL NOT see it on ebay. Do you ever see the pj socks on ebay? Of course not ;)

*SIGNS PETITION* at least we can make it aware that this SUCKS ASS.
    sgossard3 wrote:

WE NEED TO AGREE AS A FAN BASE TO QUIT BUYING THIS SHIT AT THESE HIGH PRICES... !

I agree. It will at least put all the ebay fucks in there place. I have never bought anything pj related from ebay. Always refused. It might suck not having something you really dig, but at the end of the day, you gotta have principles.
  • youre right mandi... the problem could be instantly solved but 10C just making more of everything... but it would be nice to see a lil restraint from the fans as well... something shouldnt inflate in price 500% overnight... thats just pure laziness... it shows that you took no initiative to find a better price... i cant speak for everyone around here, but i for one dont have all sorts of money to throw around... i would atleast like to see something done to those record stores that are taking advantage of everyone... if theres anyone to trace or prove whats going on

sgossard3 wrote:
    youre right mandi... the problem could be instantly solved but 10C just making more of everything... but it would be nice to see a lil restraint from the fans as well... something shouldnt inflate in price 500% overnight... thats just pure laziness... it shows that you took no initiative to find a better price... i cant speak for everyone around here, but i for one dont have all sorts of money to throw around... i would atleast like to see something done to those record stores that are taking advantage of everyone... if theres anyone to trace or prove whats going on

well you have my word! Not just cuz im a struggling white woman in america either;)

PEOPLE HAVE THE POWER, yo
  • TacoJammer wrote:
    One word.....CAPITALISM. It's the society in which we live. What do you expect 10C to do? People are still going to buy and resell no matter what as long as there is demand. The problem is 10C it's the people out there willing to consume and pay these prices.

Exactly. Free market capitalism. The price is dictated by what the consumer is willing to pay. You don't like the price, don't buy it.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Exactly. Free market capitalism. The price is dictated by what the consumer is willing to pay. You don't like the price, don't buy it.
    i took economics 101... we all understand this... the problem is it continues to happen... and each time on more and more astronomical scales...

THIS THREAD IS TO DRAWN ATTENTION TO A PROBLEM AND HOPEFULLY FIND A SOLUTION

ebay is entirely democratic and entirely fuled by people... and which people in particular are buying these albums for $200? PJ fans (& stupid ones at that)... and where do alot of PJ fans hang out? here... im trying to educate the stupid... its a noble cause... stupid people need learning too!

• ever heard the expression a lesson in futility?
  • sgossard3 wrote:
    i took economics 101... we all understand this... the problem is it continues to happen... and each time on more and more astronomical scales...

ebay is entirely democratic and entirely fuled by people... and which people in particular are buying these albums for $200? PJ fans (& stupid ones at that)... and where do alot of PJ fans hang out? here... im trying to educate the stupid... its a noble cause... stupid people need learning too!

If you say you understand this...then how can you complain. You're trying to tell people NOT to buy things on ebay. The point of the free market society (which you say you understand) is to buy whatever the fuck you want if you have the means. If I have the money to buy it, I will...regardless of whether some fanatic interweb punk tells me I shouldn't.
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • doesnt anyone have a fuckin constructive thing to say?! this problem is being caused by the same people you sing along with at shows! i always thought because we shared a connection with a band of such strong integrity that maybe the fans had similar morals! maybe today was just the last straw but it really sickens me that we've let such a meaningful band and such meaningful music be reduced to nickles and dimes....

ill get off my soap box... im just really... disappointed

• sgossard3 wrote:

Of course it's going to continue to happen but it's not a fixable problem under a free market society. Is a Van Gogh really worth $87 million? Is a Bentley worth $300 grand? If someone will pay it, it is. If someone wants to pay $200 for an album, you calling them stupid is not going to dissuade them from doing so in the future. In fact they might pay $300 out of spite for your insults.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,092
    If its easily avaliable at a decent price through ten c in mass quantities... you WILL NOT see it on ebay. Do you ever see the pj socks on ebay? Of course not ;)
    I have many times seen things on ebay being bid on at crazy prices when they are still available at 10C. Do more fans know there's a tenclub.net or an ebay.com?
    edited July 2012
    If you say you understand this...then how can you complain. You're trying to tell people NOT to buy things on ebay. The point of the free market society (which you say you understand) is to buy whatever the fuck you want if you have the means. If I have the money to buy it, I will...regardless of whether some fanatic interweb punk tells me I shouldn't.
    Post edited by Fahka on
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    john hancock
    bazzer wrote:
    I have many times seen things on ebay being bid on at crazy prices when they are still available at 10C. Do more fans know there's a tenclub.net or an ebay.com?

Ive never witnessed that to be honest with you.... so i cant really comment
    sgossard3 wrote:
    doesnt anyone have a fuckin constructive thing to say?! this problem is being caused by the same people you sing along with at shows! i always thought because we shared a connection with a band of such strong integrity that maybe the fans had similar morals! maybe today was just the last straw but it really sickens me that we've let such a meaningful band and such meaningful music be reduced to nickles and dimes....

ill get off my soap box... im just really... disappointed
    So, who gets the limited copies of ITW vinyl (for example)? Who decides if not the market? Does no one get them?
  • bazzer wrote:
    So, who gets the limited copies of ITW vinyl (for example)? Who decides if not the market? Does no one get them?
    id just like to see people be able to get them for what they were meant to be sold... at least in the initial weeks or months of the sale... im not saying that inflation wont happen... its natural with time... but it should not be happening the way it is these days... jumping 600-800% overnight...

i got into this band because they stood for something... and that has been one of the few constants over the years... i guess i thought alot of fans felt the same way... thats why ive always been drawn to coming back here... the more i read what some people have to say though the more i feel like no one gives a shit anymore... this inflation thing is just a piece of a much larger puzzle... even if this band is still the same, the atmosphere sure isnt...

i dont know why im just realizing this now... its probably a combination of other things going on in my life... i dont mean to vent here...

• i can haz pj sox now? let me show you them.

really, the freemarket makes me a happy little virgin with poor circulation in my legs. and as long as I keep getting credit cards in the male, the market remains FREEEEEEE, YAAAAy.
    sgossard3 wrote:
    id just like to see people be able to get them for what they were meant to be sold... at least in the initial weeks or months of the sale... im not saying that inflation wont happen... its natural with time... but it should not be happening the way it is these days... jumping 600-800% overnight...

i got into this band because they stood for something... and that has been one of the few constants over the years... i guess i thought alot of fans felt the same way... thats why ive always been drawn to coming back here... the more i read what some people have to say though the more i feel like no one gives a shit anymore... this inflation thing is just a piece of a much larger puzzle... even if this band is still the same, the atmosphere sure isnt...

i dont know why im just realizing this now... its probably a combination of other things going on in my life... i dont mean to vent here...

You shouldnt feel guilty about venting here:) you have every right to be questioning whats going on. Trust me, you are not the only one who has felt the "shift"
  • You do realize that in doing so... you are making the situation worse?
    You are literally making it impossible for someone like me, to obtain these things in a plausible manner. So for that, i hold you personally responsible and would probably challange you to an arm wrestle if i ever see you.

Your right, if you have the means... FUCK EVERYONE ELSE in the process. Real class act ;) Its people with that mentality that are screwing things up for the rest of us.

This is getting a little unbelievable. Go ahead and hold me personally responsible and accuse me of having no class. Join the communist party and demand equal shares for everyone. However, I live in the real world where democracy prevails. I worked my ass off to be able to have the means to afford the luxuries that I desire. The last thing I need is to have some punk jump on my ass for doing what I want. And in all honesty, the selfishness and senseless reasoning which you are exhibiting reduces any concern I may have had for your inability to obtain this record.
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,913
    This is getting a little unbelievable. Go ahead and hold me personally responsible and accuse me of having no class. Join the communist party and demand equal shares for everyone. However, I live in the real world where democracy prevails. I worked my ass off to be able to have the means to afford the luxuries that I desire. The last thing I need is to have some punk jump on my ass for doing what I want. And in all honesty, the selfishness and senseless reasoning which you are exhibiting reduces any concern I may have had for your inability to obtain this record.

"Your choice is who you chose to be/and if you're causing no harm, then you're alright with me,..." :)
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
    sgossard3 wrote:

I get it and it's cool. But if we say there's 2000 pressed (and it's probably more) then I'd say a lot of people did get it for $20. There's only a minority that bought it and are now flipping. In a perfect world we'd be able to stop the people buying it who don't want it legitimately, those that are just going to put it on ebay immediately and take advantage of the demand. I just don't see any possible way to do that... It's the same with ticket scalpers. All they do is create a false demand for something that drives the price up. It's taking advantage of the market and I guess that's why scalping is illegal in some places.

The only real solution is that the retail price rises to the market value. When 10C sells posters, they have to sell them for a price where flippers have no benefit in buying them. I wonder how many people would've bought a limited edition ITW vinyl if it cost $100 from 10C? Probably instead people would just moan that the price is too high (like with the poster book). You can't have it both ways.
  • This is getting a little unbelievable. Go ahead and hold me personally responsible and accuse me of having no class. Join the communist party and demand equal shares for everyone. However, I live in the real world where democracy prevails. I worked my ass off to be able to have the means to afford the luxuries that I desire. The last thing I need is to have some punk jump on my ass for doing what I want. And in all honesty, the selfishness and senseless reasoning which you are exhibiting reduces any concern I may have had for your inability to obtain this record.
    i got a copy of the fuckin record... its not about that... there are bigger issues at play here then whos able to afford what... its about a trend... besides this thread is simply a "petition"... im not telling anyone what they cant do... its freewill... itd just be nice if people considered the ramifications... if you support sign the petition... if not then dont... its that simple... no ones jumping on your ass

edited July 2012
    Post edited by Fahka on
  • Im not attacking you personally...But there is no denying that you are part of the problem if you are buying into it. I dont want you to be concerned for me, i dont expect you to be. Like i said 90 percent of people are shelfish assholes. I found it very tasteless that you would be so bold to say "Some punk isnt gonna tell me what to do with my money!!"

The dude has a point and a good idea at that... a very valid one and i thought you were very disrespectful to that, thats what upsets me.

and listen. I have two jobs, that i work very hard at but barely keep my head above water. but you know what? My mommy and daddy didnt buy me a car, a college education none of that good shit. So yeah, i might be pretty average when it comes to money making but even if i had a million dollars in the bank, i wouldnt buy stuff for triple the price. Its unbelievable. You want to spend 600 dollars on a stupid poster? Be my guest, the only reason i care is because since you spent 600 dollars on a poster... i cant afford to buy the poster as a reminder from a show i attended.... you should just be aware that your actions do have an effect on others.
    well put! and thanks for having my back! :D

i know i might not have worded my original post all that well and maybe came off as a bossy asshole... but damn i was pissed when i read that record stores were flat out telling people that all the available copies were going straight to ebay!

• Im not attacking you personally...But there is no denying that you are part of the problem if you are buying into it. I dont want you to be concerned for me, i dont expect you to be. Like i said 90 percent of people are shelfish assholes. I found it very tasteless that you would be so bold to say "Some punk isnt gonna tell me what to do with my money!!"

The dude has a point and a good idea at that... a very valid one and i thought you were very disrespectful to that, thats what upsets me.

and listen. I have two jobs, that i work very hard at but barely keep my head above water. but you know what? My mommy and daddy didnt buy me a car, a college education none of that good shit. So yeah, i might be pretty average when it comes to money making but even if i had a million dollars in the bank, i wouldnt buy stuff for triple the price. Its unbelievable. You want to spend 600 dollars on a stupid poster? Be my guest, the only reason i care is because since you spent 600 dollars on a poster... i cant afford to buy the poster as a reminder from a show i attended.... you should just be aware that your actions do have an effect on others.

Mommy and Daddy didn't buy my law degree...my service in the military did. Thank you for your baseless assumptions.
    edited July 2012
    Mommy and Daddy didn't buy my law degree...my service in the military did. Thank you for your baseless assumptions.

Post edited by Fahka on
  • wasnt a shot at you dude...
    Thank god RM's back up...I forgot why I stay away from this place.
  • Thank god RM's back up...I forgot why I stay away from this place.
    and i remember why i stay away from there :D

sorry for living up to all your whiney and uncivilized message pit stereotypes :p ... but i guess we cant all have law degrees