Petition: PUT AN END TO INFLATED PRICES AND SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICE (ITW vinyl, etc)

Comments

• *Signs Petition*
  • when the cost of goods (food, metal, wood, etc.) rises, so does the prices of items businesses sell. when these prices rise, so do workers wages so they can afford to live. it's called inflation. i guess you'd rather PJ lose money by lowering their prices to what things cost back in 1990? surely a person educated in economics 101 understands this is how things have been for hundreds of years.

not signing shit!
    :rolleyes:
  • PearlJam24 wrote:
    when the cost of goods (food, metal, wood, etc.) rises, so does the prices of items businesses sell. when these prices rise, so do workers wages so they can afford to live. it's called inflation. i guess you'd rather PJ lose money by lowering their prices to what things cost back in 1990? surely a person educated in economics 101 understands this is how things have been for hundreds of years.

not signing shit!
    pearl jams prices essentially have remained the same... theyre not losing or making any more money than they ordinarily would! greedy fans are the only ones who profit off of this inflation... unless of course they donate a portion of their ebay sales to a deserving charity... and natural market inflation as you described it happens over months, if not years... not with a brand new product overnight... i hope adam smiths invisible hand gives you a good bitch slap!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    edited July 2012
    Post edited by Fahka on
  • Thats completely off subject...and has nothing to do with what the poster is saying... read the thread again.....

i think you need to read what the poster is saying because what i posted was not off subject.
    sgossard3 wrote:
    I wanna draw some serious attention to just how big this problem is becoming... to the fan base... to the people that decide how high these prices get... surely everyone must be sick of paying top dollar for pieces of paper and circles or plastic... well then... stop buying them at these high prices! i know its been said before! i know im beating a dead horse! theres just something about hearing about these records stores and ITW that really set me off today and made me realize how bad its become...
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    bazzer wrote:
    The only real solution is that the retail price rises to the market value. When 10C sells posters, they have to sell them for a price where flippers have no benefit in buying them. I wonder how many people would've bought a limited edition ITW vinyl if it cost $100 from 10C? Probably instead people would just moan that the price is too high (like with the poster book). You can't have it both ways.

Coincidentally the poster books are still available from 10club, and there are none for sale on ebay. I think the moral of this story is, when you make something limited edition, and cheap when there is huge demand for it prices are only going to rise. 10 club can't really control the demand but they most certainly can control the supply.
  • I was willing to go $125 for the ITW vinyl but $150 is just ridiculous...
    the Minions
  • PearlJam24 wrote:
    i think you need to read what the poster is saying because what i posted was not off subject.
    youre right... it was on topic... it just wasnt uhh... right?

that sounds mean... i just mean to say... PJ DEFINITELY doesnt make any profit from the fans that flip on ebay

• Coincidentally the poster books are still available from 10club, and there are none for sale on ebay. I think the moral of this story is, when you make something limited edition, and cheap when there is huge demand for it prices are only going to rise. 10 club can't really control the demand but they most certainly can control the supply.
    then if nothing else... maybe this thread should just become a means of 10C seeing that fans want this! it doesnt seem tobe in keeping with the PJ mentality to sell these limited edition things in the first place... theyre just beggin to be victim to inflation

edited July 2012
    PearlJam24 wrote:

Post edited by Fahka on
  • TacoJammer wrote:
    One word.....CAPITALISM. It's the society in which we live. What do you expect 10C to do? People are still going to buy and resell no matter what as long as there is demand. The problem isn't 10C, it's the people out there willing to consume and pay these prices.

I didn't need to read the rest of the thread after reading this. Some people get it, some people don't.

TacoJammer does.
    "Fuck the talkin', let's start rocking." - E.V. 9-5-00

8/25/98, 8/21/00, 9/5/00, 4/26/03, 5/3/03, 6/24/03, 9/28/05, 10/03/05, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, EV 8/16/08, EV 6/18/09, 5/20/10, 9/15/11, 10/11/13, 10/27/13, 10/1/14, 8/20/16, 8/22/16, TOTD 11/7/16, 8/18/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/11/22, 9/14/22, 8/26/24, 9/12/24, 9/27/24, 9/29/24
  • hidinghiding Posts: 290
    sgossard3 wrote:
    Something needs to be done about whats going on... I have been aware for sometime of the unfairly inflated prices on posters and albums... I know its just a part of living in a consumer society... I know theres a lot of people who dont care and dismiss it by saying they dont care about posters or vinyl... but THIS IS A GROWING TREND! it is going to be everyones problem really soon and we need to as a fan base reach some sort of an agreement to put an end to these business practices... this is not an attack at the 10C! they go above and beyond all the time! for anyone to look past our own collective greed and blame them is ridiculous... The market is beginning to see just how greedy and stupid we can be with all thing PJ and they are going to accordingly raise their prices... soon ticket prices will be equally through the roof... put an end to record store owners immediately putting ITW vinyl on ebay instead of selling them at retail as they should! SIGN THIS PETITION SO 10C SEES HOW LARGE THIS PROBLEM IS!

were you this outraged whe you got shut out of the vic?
    if i gave you an ITW LP would you chill out?
    i take it you didn't get one?
    one love

respect
    edited July 2012
    Post edited by Fahka on
  • KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,096
    It is hard to make everyone happy......

my problem is some of the shady business practices that come out from this.....

is there a solution... I am not too sure
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    PearlJam24 wrote:
    when the cost of goods (food, metal, wood, etc.) rises, so does the prices of items businesses sell. when these prices rise, so do workers wages so they can afford to live. it's called inflation. i guess you'd rather PJ lose money by lowering their prices to what things cost back in 1990? surely a person educated in economics 101 understands this is how things have been for hundreds of years.

not signing shit!
    Someone needs a clue. Try to follow along next time.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    KDH12 wrote:

my problem is some of the shady business practices that come out from this.....

I mentioned this in the other thread, but if you want to make something "limited" but still give people a chance to get it just have preorders. I mean I don't think it is too crazy to assume that 10club (or at least Eddie) knew that there were going to be ITW vinyls before they were pressed. So before something like that happens, give people a chance to put there name down and order it it and then print enough so that everyone who wants one gets one. It would still be limited because once the order date is over they are not making any more, but it would cut down on the flipping for sure, plus it would probably increase 10clubs revenue. Sure there might be some people who miss the deadline (depending on how long they made it) and don't get one, but it would probably be a lot less than there are now. And if you really wanted to make something exclusive, just make it 10club members only.
    I think he actually has one...

why is everyone missing the fucking point here though? You guys are slow today :P

i am not missing the fucking point leather.

and i don't think i am slow, but i could be wrong. i think that if you got shut out then your fingers were not fast enough. oh well, life goes on. why do porsches cost so much?? they are made with all the same materials as a toyota.

supply and demand. you get it or didn't you take that class in college?
    why does yale cost more than the tech college?

cuz it is hard to get into! supply and demand.

peace, didn't mean to use the effe word but you did. anyway no hard feelings. i got shut out of the vic!! you didn't hear me writing a effen petition. just life get over it. save up or work extra hrs so you can by one.

grow up!
    one love

respect
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    KDH12 wrote:

very true
    KDH12 wrote:
    my problem is some of the shady business practices that come out from this......

its sad to see
    KDH12 wrote:

I dont think so
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    g$
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    Of course it's going to continue to happen but it's not a fixable problem under a free market society. Is a Van Gogh really worth $87 million? Is a Bentley worth $300 grand? If someone will pay it, it is. If someone wants to pay $200 for an album, you calling them stupid is not going to dissuade them from doing so in the future. In fact they might pay $300 out of spite for your insults.

nailed it.... thank you
    wishlistfoundation.org
    hiding wrote:
    i am not missing the fucking point leather.

and i don't think i am slow, but i could be wrong. i think that if you got shut out then your fingers were not fast enough. oh well, life goes on. why do porsches cost so much?? they are made with all the same materials as a toyota.

supply and demand. you get it or didn't you take that class in college?
    why does yale cost more than the tech college?

cuz it is hard to get into! supply and demand.

peace, didn't mean to use the effe word but you did. anyway no hard feelings. i got shut out of the vic!! you didn't hear me writing a effen petition. just life get over it. save up or work extra hrs so you can by one.

grow up!

The original poster already got a copy of the record.... so there goes your theory...

but honestly. If this was just a once in awhile thing... that'd be different. EVERY FUCKING THING IN THE PAST COUPLE OF YEARS IS EITHER RARE OR FUCKING SPECIAL EDITION. Had i been screwed over once, twice or even just three times i wouldnt be so bitter.To compare this to college is just retarded. No im not calling you retarded so please do not get offended. Its not the same thing though. Do you get into yale because you were online at the right time? NO ;p

These are products. Products that could be distrubted in a sane and logical way. This is a fan club... i pay my membership for a reason. Which except for tour time, is completely useless to me anymore. It wont even ensure that i can buy something that is being distributed

I PAY a membership, just so i can BUY things. Yet I cant even do that anymore...

Work my fingers to the bone to pay for a poster/whatever that should only be 20 bucks vs 500? I have the pearl jam disease but im not fucking crazy ;)
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    Society......we have agreed, that we have a greed

what the hell can tenclub do more than what they do now?

I am with you on ridiculous prices and markups but there is nothing they can really do but revoke TC memberships or vendor privs.
  • evenflowmanevenflowman Posts: 1,347
    hey it is supply adn demadn u cant help it or stop it if someone wants something bad enuff they will pay for it if u want the best or somethign that is rare u will pay a little extra for it u will never stop it
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    Society......we have agreed, that we have a greed

what the hell can tenclub do more than what they do now?

I am with you on ridiculous prices and markups but there is nothing they can really do but revoke TC memberships or vendor privs.

Someone had a good idea.

LET PEOPLE SIGN UP FOR THEM and buy the exact amount that you know are sold. Pre ordering.... i think it would work here. Give people a few weeks notice and let them pre order. It could work! If we all had a couple of weeks to get our shit together, no one would get shut out... no one would have to venture to ebay for quadrouple the prices, no chance of not being on the computer at the exact moment and time things go on sale.
    The original poster already got a copy of the record.... so there goes your theory...

but honestly. If this was just a once in awhile thing... that'd be different. EVERY FUCKING THING IN THE PAST COUPLE OF YEARS IS EITHER RARE OR FUCKING SPECIAL EDITION. Had i been screwed over once, twice or even just three times i wouldnt be so bitter.To compare this to college is just retarded. No im not calling you retarded so please do not get offended. Its not the same thing though. Do you get into yale because you were online at the right time? NO ;p

These are products. Products that could be distrubted in a sane and logical way. This is a fan club... i pay my membership for a reason. Which except for tour time, is completely useless to me anymore. It wont even ensure that i can buy something that is fucking being distrubted.

I PAY a membership, just so i can BUY things. Yet I cant even do that anymore...

Work my fingers to the bone to pay for a poster/whatever that should only be 20 bucks vs 500? I have the pearl jam disease but im not fucking crazy ;)

i just don't get why everyone is having a hernia over this? like i said, i got shut out of the vix, should pj have asked everyone who wanted to go first so they could pick out just the perfect size venue? NO. it is what it is, i am working and saving for a poster that i want that is pricey, but i WANT IT, I DON"T NEED IT!!

what you want and need are two very very different things. did you think the porsche/toyota comparison was better than the college one? it is all what you are willing to work for, if you want something bad enough.
    one love

respect
    PearlJam24 wrote:

not signing shit!

Reading comprehension 101 is as necessary as Economics 101 :rolleyes:
    You are completely off topic!
    hiding wrote:
    i just don't get why everyone is having a hernia over this? like i said, i got shut out of the vix, should pj have asked everyone who wanted to go first so they could pick out just the perfect size venue? NO. it is what it is, i am working and saving for a poster that i want that is pricey, but i WANT IT, I DON"T NEED IT!!

what you want and need are two very very different things. did you think the porsche/toyota comparison was better than the college one? it is all what you are willing to work for, if you want something bad enough.

A show is different... theres a limitation...these are all things (posters, vinyls, ect) that can be mass produced, all that matters is the amount given to the company producing it..... i give up... i feel like im beating a dead horse here.

I just think things can be done differently. If everyone just sat back and said "hey, thats just how the world works! Get used to it!" women wouldnt be voting, black people would still be owned by white people and so on and so forth.
  • ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    wishlistfoundation.org

My favorite! :D

But that guy is also this guy

http://www.newsradioart.com/Images/IntroStephen/IntroStephen_01.jpg

so I guess in the end it all evens out.