Drive By Truckers - A Blessing and a Curse

Comments

• BrainOfJD wrote:
    Isbell is doing a solo album??? :eek: awwwwww shit :D

Yeah... it's gonna be sick... sorry, I thought everyone knew...

Gonna be called Sirens of the Ditch - release tbd - I'm extremely excited as I identify with Jason's songs a bit more (not to take anything away from the rock gods that are Cooley and Hood)...
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    BrainOfJD wrote:
    Isbell is doing a solo album??? :eek: awwwwww shit :D
    And Patterson has recorded a second solo album.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • NakedClown wrote:
    I'm extremely excited as I identify with Jason's songs a bit more (not to take anything away from the rock gods that are Cooley and Hood)...

I agree 100%. His voice has so much feeling and his songs are amazing.

Not to mention that he absolutely WAILS on the guitar...
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • NakedClown wrote:
    Just read on the Alabama Ass Whuppin blog that:

Jason will include Dress Blues on his Sirens of the Ditch solo album
    One question I won't have to ask...

;)
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • One question I won't have to ask...

;)

Looking forward to hearing what transpires in your interview...

I guess they also played a "full band" version of Dress Blues for the first time the other night - in Atlanta I think - I'd like to hear that...

That Alabama Ass Whuppin Blog - from what I can tell - is run by the guy who runs the Yahoo DBT fan group. He was invited to Cooley's birthday party where The Drams played... lucky guy...

So yeah - see if you can get a timeline on solo album release dates AND a full DBT set - maybe early 2008??
  • NakedClown wrote:
    Looking forward to hearing what transpires in your interview...

I guess they also played a "full band" version of Dress Blues for the first time the other night - in Atlanta I think - I'd like to hear that...

That Alabama Ass Whuppin Blog - from what I can tell - is run by the guy who runs the Yahoo DBT fan group. He was invited to Cooley's birthday party where The Drams played... lucky guy...

So yeah - see if you can get a timeline on solo album release dates AND a full DBT set - maybe early 2008??
    I doubt they know or have any control over it really...
    the DBT board got on this not too long ago...someone from NewWest came on and said they want to let ABAAC take its course, let the tour go on.

I doubt anything before next summer.
    and it that's the case, do patterson and jason do solo tours? play this with the band? who knows, when the next DBT record would be out...

it's business stuff, really curious, but kind of boring to ask them about...
    you know....
  • it's business stuff, really curious, but kind of boring to ask them about...
    you know....

Definitely ask them about their touring plans for next year. I gotta see them again, but I can't spare the vacation days to travel to see them this year!

And see if you can get a scoop on those solo albums. It can't hurt to ask! What kind of journalist are you, anyway? ;)
  • I doubt they know or have any control over it really...
    the DBT board got on this not too long ago...someone from NewWest came on and said they want to let ABAAC take its course, let the tour go on.

I doubt anything before next summer.
    and it that's the case, do patterson and jason do solo tours? play this with the band? who knows, when the next DBT record would be out...

it's business stuff, really curious, but kind of boring to ask them about...
    you know....

No, I wouldn't take up the meat of your interview with it, but a throw-away question right at the end about "upcoming releases/future plans?" can't hurt...

I know - I read that stuff over there too - but its been a couple of months - you never know what's happened since then...
  • likepilateihaveadog...ask Jason about that line: "Someone's Hollywood War" vs. "Somebody elses war"

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • likepilateihaveadog...ask Jason about that line: "Someone's Hollywood War" vs. "Somebody elses war"

PBM

Yeah - I'd be interested in hearing about that.

My personal preference is "Somebody elses war" - the other just sounds political and argumentative.

Other things I'm curious about:

The amount of Jack Daniels ingested during a show

The relationship with artist Wes Freed and if his artwork will continue to appear on album covers. The artwork matches the band and the music so well - how far back does their relationship go...

They're support of/and work with Ray McKinnon's films (Sinkhole is loosely based on "The Accountant", and they contributed a song to his film CHRYSTAL)...
  • NakedClown wrote:
    The amount of Jack Daniels ingested during a show

Yeah...when I saw them...Jason started out calm and subdued. By the encore, that dude was on fire.

Also, I read that Ed Norton is using Goddamn Lonely Love in a movie. Ask them about that.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• To all:
    many thanks...
    I'm making a list and we'll see how long they can stay on for and how everything fits into the flow of what they're bringing into the conversation.

goddamn I wish I could go to State College tomorrow night...just a little too far away.
  • Yeah...when I saw them...Jason started out calm and subdued. By the encore, that dude was on fire.

Also, I read that Ed Norton is using Goddamn Lonely Love in a movie. Ask them about that.

PBM

Where'd you hear this?
  • NakedClown wrote:
    Where'd you hear this?
    It was on his iTunes playlist, right?
  • It was on his iTunes playlist, right?

Yeah...except replace Ed Norton with Ed Burns. I always get those two confused.

PBM

• Good luck on the interview likepilateihaveadog!

PBM

Good luck on the interview likepilateihaveadog!

PBM
    Yeah..........break a leg. :)

P.S. Tell them to play Nova Scotia sometime in the near future....I meet a lot of DBT fans when I was up there for the PJ show last year. I wore my "Dirty South" tour shirt to the pre-party and the concert.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Sounds like it's gonna be Patterson on with us.

That's like going to Vatican City and the tour guide saying, let's go meet the Pope.

:D
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Yep, good luck.

Thought of another question on my way into work while listening to Dirty South.

How do the arrangments of the songs work? I'd assume that each guy brings in a song essentially set in solo format, but how do they assign who plays lead, rhythm etc?. Is there a method to it, or do things just 'fall into place' depending on the song?
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • merkinball wrote:
    Yep, good luck.

Thought of another question on my way into work while listening to Dirty South.

How do the arrangments of the songs work? I'd assume that each guy brings in a song essentially set in solo format, but how do they assign who plays lead, rhythm etc?. Is there a method to it, or do things just 'fall into place' depending on the song?
    Yeah....that's a good one.
    My guess is that they kind of have them completed and bring them in and work it out from there.
  • checking Patteron's book list from the last update...
    he's reading LBJ: Master of the Senate.
    I have to read that for government class this semester!

maybe he can help with my homework.

• That's like going to Vatican City and the tour guide saying, let's go meet the Pope.

Are you interviewing Patterson only? Or are other band members going to be there?

Have fun with the interview, Will! I can't wait to hear it!
  • That's like going to Vatican City and the tour guide saying, let's go meet the Pope.

...or to put things in context:

It's like going to the Pabst Brewing Company and having the tour guide say, "Let's go sample the PBR".

PBM

• ...or to put things in context:

It's like going to the Pabst Brewing Company and having the tour guide say, "Let's go sample the PBR".

PBM
    touche.

interview coming soon, be patient, fuckers!

I mean, I can't even write anything now.
    Patterson said it was "officially my favorite show this tour"
    he probably didn't think Lancaster could bring it on a Wednesday night.

They're just perfect. They do it the right way, so perfectly, I can't even comment.
    That's just how life is supposed to be.
    Gosh, Shonna looked real purdy last night too.

Isbell was really on -- Patterson was smiling so much all night...
    Cooley was great, but kind of reserved last night.

Bobby Bare KICKED ASS!
    he said his new record came out on Tuesday and unless you want "these guys on stage to be delivering pizza in Nashville in a year, go buy it!"
    Think I'm gonna.
    Jason was wearing his goofy hat and smoking sidestage during Bobby's set.
    man man man

Saw one PJ fan...I had my McCready CCFA shirt on, he had a avacado shirt on.

but man.

Patterson fucking Hood.
    goddamn,
  • Isbell was really on

He stole the show in NYC too.

Damn, you're making me want to do something very irresponsible, which is to fly down to Tennessee at the end of October... Nashville/Memphis on Thursday & Friday night... hmmm...
  • http://download.yousendit.com/8320F02D6AA75507

This only gets 100 downloads, so if it says it's unavailable, let me know and I'll re-up it.

• Glad to hear he likes to make records...

Can't wait to hear that Full Band version of Dress Blues...

AFTERMATH USA WAS AN ACCIDENT?!?!?!?!?!?! That's great....

The Ed Burns thing - confirmed - great... maybe I can get DBT to throw a song into one of my future films :)

I'm not going to read the LBJ book - have fun with that Pilate...

Safe to say he has more than a passing interest in controversial political figures...

That had to be a blast to talk to that guy...
  • Downloading now...looking forward to it.

PBM

http://download.yousendit.com/8320F02D6AA75507

This only gets 100 downloads, so if it says it's unavailable, let me know and I'll re-up it.

How does one download it without the password info????
  • Definitely enjoyed the interview... thanks for putting it up.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.