Drive By Truckers - A Blessing and a Curse

Comments

• Any news on the interview????

On another note, I lost my password to NineBullets and it isn't letting me retrieve it....
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I admit to knowing absolutely nothing about this band - I had never even heard of them until I started hanging out on this board. They pop-up here all the time and alot of people on here who's taste in music I appreciate have lots of nice things to say about them BUT I just can't get past their name....easily one of the worst band names I have ever heard - makes me think of some wanky Southern Rock band (Black Crowes, Ted Nugent or Jackal"ish")

I have checked out most of the bands that people have recommended to me on here and they have become some of my new favourites (ie Neutral Milk Hotel, the Decemberists, the Mountain Goats, Guided By Voices etc etc etc).....but these guys just scare me away - why should I check them out?????????????
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Todd76 wrote:
    I BUT I just can't get past their name....easily one of the worst band names I have ever heard

It stuck out to me at first as well...as much as a name shouldn't influence how I listen to the music...sometimes it does.

I'm glad I got past that though...easily one of the best bands out there today.

Plus, when you have an audience yelling "DBT...DBT...DBT" after the main set into the encore, you realize how unique the name actually is.

Some of the best songwriting around...You can't listen to Zip City or Sinkhole without getting a little fired up.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Todd76 wrote:
    I admit to knowing absolutely nothing about this band - I had never even heard of them until I started hanging out on this board. They pop-up here all the time and alot of people on here who's taste in music I appreciate have lots of nice things to say about them BUT I just can't get past their name....easily one of the worst band names I have ever heard - makes me think of some wanky Southern Rock band (Black Crowes, Ted Nugent or Jackal"ish")

I have checked out most of the bands that people have recommended to me on here and they have become some of my new favourites (ie Neutral Milk Hotel, the Decemberists, the Mountain Goats, Guided By Voices etc etc etc).....but these guys just scare me away - why should I check them out?????????????
    Three uniquely different vocalists/songwriters who also all play a mean guitar, a band that does not mind "turning it up a notch", different setlists every night, music that is hard to put in a genre', they're also not afraid to try something different either in the studio or on stage.

and they just fucking rock!!!!!!!!!! :D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Todd76 wrote:

A three-guitar/three lead singer attack that will leave you in awe... will blow you away...

(Humorous tone in my voice when I say this) How can you say DBT has a weird name when you don't see anything abnormal about Neutral Milk Hotel?!?!?!?!?!?!?

You can get past that name, but not DBT????
  • Todd76 wrote:

It is Southern music that is unlike what has come to be expected of Southern music, it is dark, literate, and intelligent. And the name sort of starts to make sense after awhile, at least to me.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    NakedClown wrote:
    (Humorous tone in my voice when I say this) How can you say DBT has a weird name when you don't see anything abnormal about Neutral Milk Hotel?!?!?!?!?!?!?

You can get past that name, but not DBT????

No doubt....NMH is a "weird" name - but it doesnt carry any negative connotation for me, DBT just screams WANKY...but i'm definitely gonna check em out, i'd hate to miss out on some quality music cuz their name sucks (my friends old band used to be called Rainbow Butt Monkeys - so maybe in hindsight DBT aint so bad)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator:%22Drive-By%20Truckers%22

There's the DBT page at http://www.archive.org
    got some great live shows on there....looks like more are popping up all the time as the tour rolls on.

:D
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Todd76 wrote:
    No doubt....NMH is a "weird" name - but it doesnt carry any negative connotation for me, DBT just screams WANKY...but i'm definitely gonna check em out, i'd hate to miss out on some quality music cuz their name sucks (my friends old band used to be called Rainbow Butt Monkeys - so maybe in hindsight DBT aint so bad)

I'm confident that you'll be pleased.

likepilateihaveadog...anymore info on the radio interview?

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• HOLY F*CKING CRIPES!!!!!!!!

The Truckers abolutely blew the doors off the place. WOW. They opened with a seething version of Lookout Mountain, then slowed it down for one of my favorites, Daddy's Cup. From there they mixed in Blessing & a Curse songs like Feb 14 and Gravity's Gone with older tracks like G.G. Allin, Zip City, and 18 Wheels of Love. They saved the best for last, though, bringing the house down with Buttholeville and then an extended shit-kickin' jam on People Who Died.

The whole band sounded amazing but I have to say the star of the night was Jason Isbell. Between his guitar heroics and his hoarse, twangy vocals on country ballads like Outfit and Easy on Yourself, he had the room in the palm of his hand.

You know you've seen an incredible show when the band plays for two hours and leaves you wanting more. Ever since I walked out the door I've been haunted by the guitar work, the poetry, and the Southern rock majesty of DBT!!! If I had known what I was in for, I would have planned ahead a little bit and made a trip to Philly tonight.
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
    BrainOfJD wrote:
    HOLY F*CKING CRIPES!!!!!!!!

The Truckers abolutely blew the doors off the place. WOW. They opened with a seething version of Lookout Mountain, then slowed it down for one of my favorites, Daddy's Cup. From there they mixed in Blessing & a Curse songs like Feb 14 and Gravity's Gone with older tracks like G.G. Allin, Zip City, and 18 Wheels of Love. They saved the best for last, though, bringing the house down with Buttholeville and then an extended shit-kickin' jam on People Who Died.

The whole band sounded amazing but I have to say the star of the night was Jason Isbell. Between his guitar heroics and his hoarse, twangy vocals on country ballads like Outfit and Easy on Yourself, he had the room in the palm of his hand.

You know you've seen an incredible show when the band plays for two hours and leaves you wanting more. Ever since I walked out the door I've been haunted by the guitar work, the poetry, and the Southern rock majesty of DBT!!! If I had known what I was in for, I would have planned ahead a little bit and made a trip to Philly tonight.

Lookout Mountain as a opener..............very interesting.....very interesting indeed. Glad you had a great time.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • tybird wrote:
    Lookout Mountain as a opener..............very interesting.....very interesting indeed. Glad you had a great time.

Daddy's Cup second seemed weirder to me, because it was such a change of pace. Wow, what a show. They solidified their position on the short list of my favorite bands. I have to thank you folks (pilate, tybird, PBM, etc) on this board for turning me on to them!
  • BrainOfJD wrote:
    bringing the house down with Buttholeville and then an extended shit-kickin' jam on People Who Died.

The best one-two punch for an encore.

Add in Let There Be Rock and you've got a helluva show.

PBM

• tybird wrote:
    oh dear God, yes.
    I nearly exploded in DC when they came out to this.

BrainOfJD wrote:
    Daddy's Cup second seemed weirder to me, because it was such a change of pace. Wow, what a show. They solidified their position on the short list of my favorite bands. I have to thank you folks (pilate, tybird, PBM, etc) on this board for turning me on to them!
    Not really surprised by that........follows the Patterson/Cooley/Isbell law for opening a show.
  • The best one-two punch for an encore.

Add in Let There Be Rock and you've got a helluva show.

PBM
    oh, yes, again.
    man...
    anyone hear that Buttholeville with Marc Ford from Red Rocks?
    it's on archive.
    FIVE GUITARS. (I'm countin Neff here)
    God bless America.
  • I'm confident that you'll be pleased.

likepilateihaveadog...anymore info on the radio interview?

PBM
    Well, it's still on.
    This Wednesday at 5.

HOWEVER
    our bastard school realizes that radio is dead...we slap on the damn defribulator every Wednesday night...
    and took out the recording studio over the summer. put in offices for some lame department.
    so I might not be able to record.
    I might have to have the roommate at home do it with his tape deck.
    but I'll try real hard to get this up...we can get real raunchy since no one really listens to our station...

but, we'll see.
    I'm gettin real exicted.

I've seen so many shows at the Chameleon here...but this will be the best, far and away.

• BrainOfJD wrote:
    HOLY F*CKING CRIPES!!!!!!!!

man...nice review.
    so glad you got to experience the RAWK show.

;)
  • I usually take a small tape recorder into the studio with me to do air-checks...it should sound good. Make sure you document it! You'll want to have it for sure.

They're coming to Memphis in late Oct...I'm still contemplating...I want to go, but I need to save my cash for the baby and I need to save my vacation days.

PBM

• Add in Let There Be Rock and you've got a helluva show.

They closed the first set with it. :D

edit - they didn't close the 1st set with it, they played it during the encore. Either way it rocked. Here's a video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGw6F6zxB30
  • Sept. 23, 2006, 9:03PM
    McMurtry album honored
    Neil Young wins Americana award for artist of year

Associated Press

NASHVILLE, TENN. — Singer and songwriter James McMurtry took home album of the year and song of the year honors, and veteran rocker Neil Young was named artist of the year Friday at the fifth annual Americana Honors and Awards.

The Drive-By Truckers were recognized for duo/group of the year; the G reencards for new/emerging artist; and guitarist Kenny Vaughan for instrumentalist.

McMurtry, 44, won album of the year for Childish Things and song of the year for We Can't Make It Here Anymore, a pointed commentary on the economy, war and other issues.

The Austin-based singer is the son of author Larry McMurtry and credits his father with exposing him to country music as a boy.

Young, 60, is one of rock's most influential figures — and one of its most erratic, shifting from tender folk ballads to feedback-drenched grunge, electronica, rockabilly, blues and full-blown country.

Last year, he released Prairie Wind, a country-flavored album recorded in Nashville, and this year put out Living with War, a collection of protest songs that included the blunt Let's Impeach the President.

Held at the historic Ryman Auditorium, the awards show was hosted by Jim Lauderdale and featured appearances by Elvis Costello, Rosanne Cash, Rodney Crowell, Charlie Daniels, Vince Gill, Delbert McClinton and Marty Stuart.

Crowell received a lifetime achievement award for songwriting, Alejandro Escovedo received one for performing and Allen Toussaint for producer/engineer.
    Sept. 23, 2006, 9:03PM
    McMurtry album honored
    Neil Young wins Americana award for artist of year

Associated Press

NASHVILLE, TENN. — Singer and songwriter James McMurtry took home album of the year and song of the year honors, and veteran rocker Neil Young was named artist of the year Friday at the fifth annual Americana Honors and Awards.

The Drive-By Truckers were recognized for duo/group of the year; the G reencards for new/emerging artist; and guitarist Kenny Vaughan for instrumentalist.

McMurtry, 44, won album of the year for Childish Things and song of the year for We Can't Make It Here Anymore, a pointed commentary on the economy, war and other issues.

The Austin-based singer is the son of author Larry McMurtry and credits his father with exposing him to country music as a boy.

Young, 60, is one of rock's most influential figures — and one of its most erratic, shifting from tender folk ballads to feedback-drenched grunge, electronica, rockabilly, blues and full-blown country.

Last year, he released Prairie Wind, a country-flavored album recorded in Nashville, and this year put out Living with War, a collection of protest songs that included the blunt Let's Impeach the President.

Held at the historic Ryman Auditorium, the awards show was hosted by Jim Lauderdale and featured appearances by Elvis Costello, Rosanne Cash, Rodney Crowell, Charlie Daniels, Vince Gill, Delbert McClinton and Marty Stuart.

Crowell received a lifetime achievement award for songwriting, Alejandro Escovedo received one for performing and Allen Toussaint for producer/engineer.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet...........
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    btw i just purchased this album......i just have to know what it's all about.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • alobar wrote:
    come back and tell us what you think.

• alobar wrote:

Don't stop with this - move right on to Dirty South and Decoration Day - arguably better than ABAAC...

Not to take anything away from ABAAC
  • NakedClown wrote:
    Don't stop with this - move right on to Dirty South and Decoration Day - arguably better than ABAAC...

Not to take anything away from ABAAC

I picked up Dirty South on Friday - admittedly after having downloaded a bunch of shows and hearing all the songs already - and I think it's even better than Blessing & A Curse or Southern Rock Opera (the other 2 studio albums I have). Decoration Day is next.

They really are becoming my new favorite band.
  • BrainOfJD wrote:
    I think it's even better than Blessing & A Curse or Southern Rock Opera (the other 2 studio albums I have). Decoration Day is next.

Yeah, I really dig ABAAC, but Dirty South and Decoration Day are great.

I like the southern imagery and references in those two albums...the new one is great, but the song-writing seems more general rather than south specific.

PBM

• Man, I am a moron.
    All I gotta do to record is plug my laptop into the headphone out and record that on garageband.
    so assuming all goes well I'll have the interview up in mp3 sometime later this week.

• Just read on the Alabama Ass Whuppin blog that:

Jason will include Dress Blues on his Sirens of the Ditch solo album
  • NakedClown wrote:
    Just read on the Alabama Ass Whuppin blog that:

Jason will include Dress Blues on his Sirens of the Ditch solo album

Isbell is doing a solo album??? :eek: awwwwww shit :D