Drive By Truckers - A Blessing and a Curse

1141516171820»

Comments

• Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Sweet, the show is only 8 bucks!
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Heading into the studio tomorrow according to Patterson:

http://www.drivebytruckers.com/notes.html

Nice. Will we have to start a new thread eventually, or keep this one going?
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    I wrote to the DBT asking them about a Toronto or Buffalo date. They wrote this:

Will probably be back before too long. Call your local club, or wherever the DBT usually play near you, and raise hell !That's the fastest way to get 'em back. :)

-j

So I wrote to the Mod Club asking if they can fit them in. I'll try other venues as well. I'm not sure if this will work, but hey it's worth a try right?
  • KellerKeller Posts: 177
    Has anyone been to any of these "Dirt Underneath" shows yet? Is it basicly just an acoustic show?
    "Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
  • NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    I would think that we just keep this thread going until we get a name for the next album, and then a new thread will be worthy...

I love how fucking prolific these guys are... and despite my sadness that Jason is no longer in the band, I am excited to see what John Neff brings to this next album as he seems to be a more "official" member of the band now...
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    Keller wrote:
    Has anyone been to any of these "Dirt Underneath" shows yet? Is it basicly just an acoustic show?

Its basically acoustic, with electric slide guitar and lap steel, although it certainly doesn't feel unplugged... Apparently they are going to do some shows soon that are going to be half acoustic half electric... that should be pretty cool.

I have seen the Truckers 5 times now, the Dirt Underneath show I saw in Athens was the best DBT show I have seen...
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Here's an article about Patterson that was in last Friday's Birmingham News:

http://www.al.com/entertainment/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/entertainment/1187945771138310.xml&coll=2

Birmingham is becoming a major Trucker stop.

Former Drive-By Trucker Jason Isbell is here Saturday as part of the Stokin' the Fire festival at Sloss Furnaces. All of the Drive-By Truckers will appear at WorkPlay on Oct. 12.

And tonight, Patterson Hood, leader of the hard-rocking group, will appear at the Birmingham Museum of Art as part of the Art on the Rocks series.

The two appearances are logical stops for Birmingham, which Hood describes as "kind of a home gig" for the band.

Although Hood's museum appearance can be thought of as a solo show, it won't be just him alone. He's bringing along fellow Truckers Brad Morgan on drums and John Neff on guitar. The addition of Morgan and Neff will allow Hood to better recreate the sound of the solo album he's been working on for quite some time and which he hopes to release next year.

"`Killers and Stars,' the solo record I put out a few years ago, was all acoustic, and it was just me," Hood says. "I went in and recorded it in my kitchen where I was living. It was a really stripped-down affair, and the songs were more accoustic-type of songs. Since then, I've made another record that hasn't come out yet. It's almost more of a power pop record. My dad (Muscle Shoals bass legend David Hood) plays on it, various Truckers play on it in different forms, and John Neff is all over it - he's part of my solo band whenever I play with a band - and of course now he's joined the Truckers. So it's made it a little bit closer to what the Truckers sound like in some ways."

Hood isn't sure what he'll play tonight, but figures it will be a mixture of solo and Truckers numbers. "I'll probably try to look for things that the band doesn't play as often so it'll be a little different than what the band's out doing, especially since the band is coming to town before too long."

In a curious twist of timing, Hood plays Birmingham the night before Isbell - who left the Truckers in April - plays at the Stokin' the Fire BBQ Festival. Hood, who was unaware of Isbell's Birmingham appearance until told of it last week, says his relationship with Isbell is a good one, and that Isbell's maturation as an artist was a main reason for his departure from the band.

"Mike Cooley and I have 22 years in now this month," Hood says. "Our band always works as a democracy, but at the same time, there's a certain amount of - for lack of a better word - seniority in the relationship he and I have. That sort of leads the way for what the direction the band is going to be moving in, the direction the two of us go in, and we were kind of moving in a different one."

Hood says his solo performance in town will be the first in quite some time. "I'm trying to remember the last time I did play solo in Birmingham. I used to all the time. I don't know why that is, because I've always had fun, had good turnouts and all that, so it's about time I do it again."

Jim Dunn wrote this for The Birmingham News.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    Hell Yeah!!! Just found that DBT is playing my college's campus on Sept. 29th!!! That's in addition to the Dirt Beneath stop in B'ham on 10/12!!

Life is good. :D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • They're doing a "Dirt" stop in Nashville, but it's on a Thursday (a week from today) and I can't make it.

Stumped again.

:(

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Any news on another Rocktober? I'm hoping we'll get a repeat of last year.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • From what it looks like the record is coming out in February... so not too much longer. I guess we will have to make a new thread when we get a title and stuff.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • I saw (and met! :D) Patterson at the ACL festival last weekend. Great set, a mix of DBT and solo stuff, and he played with two of the guys from Centro-matic, which was an unexpected treat.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • From what it looks like the record is coming out in February... so not too much longer. I guess we will have to make a new thread when we get a title and stuff.

So much for that year off idea.

They don't understand that concept very well...not that I'm complaining.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• DBT is the backing band on the new Bettye LaVette record, which is out tomorrow. Patterson produced it too, and I believe Spooner and Patterson's dad make an appearance on the record as well.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
    So much for that year off idea.

They don't understand that concept very well...not that I'm complaining.

PBM
    Thank God for that........seeing them twice this fall....Saturday on the campus of Birmingham-Southern College....basically a private show for students and such. I'm going to have to pay $10 for my lovely wife to go.....but I just flip the ole' student I.D. out. :D I am suspecting a rock show....which will work great with the Dirt Underneath show coming upon Oct 12. :)
  • According to a post on ninebullets Patterson divulged the name of the new record last night in Nashville:

"Brighter Than Creation's Dark"

Should we start a new thread?
    Great rock show last night....my first time to see the new line-up......a lot of different arrangements to old songs.......a ton of new songs especially by Stroker Ace..started off with back to back new tunes...it's never a bad night when they play "Zip City" and "Lookout Mountain." I believe that it was my first time to see "Guitar Man Upstairs." Great closer with "Buttholeville" and the guitar tech playing Patterson's axe and Mr. Hood getting down to the audience's level.

Warm in the Wake was the opener. A very promising young band.
  • Y'all can hear my interview with Patterson from last September on my podcast.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • tybird wrote:
    Great rock show last night....my first time to see the new line-up......a lot of different arrangements to old songs

No 72 (This Highway's Mean) then?

PBM

• According to a post on ninebullets Patterson divulged the name of the new record last night in Nashville:

"Brighter Than Creation's Dark"

Should we start a new thread?

Does it have a release date yet?
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    Does it have a release date yet?

They have been saying February...
    No 72 (This Highway's Mean) then?

PBM
    Alas.....no.....still a great show....the band was loose....seemed like they were really having a great time. The new arrangements did not feel forced. Very fun evening....outdoors under a big tent on a clear, breezy September night with a beautiful 3/4 moon and some awesome tunes.