Drive By Truckers - A Blessing and a Curse

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    grace6697 wrote:
    ok, here is the deal. so many music fans whose opinions i respect are into this band. i'm going to give them a try. where to start?
    "The Dirty South" would probably narrowly win the poll, followed probably by "Decoration Day". It gets hazy after that in regards to how the voting would run....some say the latest, "A Blessing And A Curse," while others stay behind "Southern Rock Opera."

I would rank them in regards as where to start as thus:
    1) The Dirty South
    2) A Blessing and A Curse
    3) Decoration Day
    4) Southern Rock Opera

If you do the ipod thing........Itunes sells a live set (Live at the 40 Watt) that is excellant.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • grace6697 wrote:
    ok, here is the deal. so many music fans whose opinions i respect are into this band. i'm going to give them a try. where to start?

Goddamn Lonely Love...it's where I started. Got me hooked.

Also check out Dress Blues:

http://www.ninebullets.org/home/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=76

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    I think his solo record might be the greatest thing ever.

Seconded
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • There's nothing like being in a Nashville crowd when Cooley sings, "I got friends in Nashville...or at least they're folks I know..."

;)

PBM

That's the Carl Perkins one, right?
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • That's the Carl Perkins one, right?

;) Yeah.

Just listening to the Feb. Nashville show...World of Hurt is so much better live. Patterson really nails it.

"It's fuckin' great to be alive!"

*Thanks Bill for reminding me to revisit that track

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    I just saw DBT for the first time the other night and wow. What a show. I feel bad for ripping them off. $18 divided by the number of people in the band, plus set up grew. I think those guys worked a lot harder then earning only a couple bucks each. Oh well I'll donate by buying more albums.

They played "Where the devils won't stay" (or whatever it's called) 2nd, and wow what a great way to get the show rolling. I didn't realize they had 3 singers, and all amazing at guitar, especially live. The guy who sings the devils song has an awesome voice live...really gets your attention.

I liked the show so much I wanted to go to Buffalo last night, but I had plans. Detroit is tonight, but a tad too far from Toronto.
  • ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    tybird wrote:
    I believe that he is from the same area of North Alabama that his wife, Cooley and Patterson are from.........that area is halfway between Birmingham and Memphis............you take U.S. Highway 72 right on into Memphis. :)

me and my friends met the band after the starkville show. isbell went to the university of memphis and played in the marching band. i have no idea what instrument though. he might have said but i was drunk and dont remember.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
  • I concur.
    I think his solo record might be the greatest thing ever. And we really don't even know what' on it yet.

:D

Agreed
  • grace6697 wrote:

Spend the 18.98 or whatever and download both Decoration Day and Dirty South from I-Tunes... get into those, and then decide which way you want to go. Either way, you really can't go wrong...

• This Great Car-Dealer War track is a new favorite...listened to it a lot yesterday.

PBM

I've been playing it over and over and over...

I can't wait for solo albums and new music from this band... so good...

In the menatime, I am absolutely thrilled with what I've discovered by introducing myself to Slobberbone's back catalog...
  • Just noticed that Jason played Dress Blues in Toronto on Wednesday...maybe we haven't seen the last of it.

It would be a nice surprise to see it on Friday Night on Beale Street.

PBM

Just noticed that Jason played Dress Blues in Toronto on Wednesday...maybe we haven't seen the last of it.

It would be a nice surprise to see it on Friday Night on Beale Street.

PBM
    Good luck on Beale, PBM......too many previous commitments means that we have stay in B'ham this weekend. :(
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Saw this posted by Jenn on the Nine Bullets Board:

"Just so y'all know, I think it would behoove you all to get to these shows. I have a feeling this may be the last chance to see DBT in Athens for a LONG time - after NYE, it's possible that DBT will be taking an extended hiatus, by far the most extensive time off this band has taken in 10 years. They need it, so don't begrudge them the time off, but DO go see them. THIS ISN'T a breakup rumor starter or anything so don't get your panties in a wad, just get to the nearest rock show. "

PBM

• merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Saw this posted by Jenn on the Nine Bullets Board:

"Just so y'all know, I think it would behoove you all to get to these shows. I have a feeling this may be the last chance to see DBT in Athens for a LONG time - after NYE, it's possible that DBT will be taking an extended hiatus, by far the most extensive time off this band has taken in 10 years. They need it, so don't begrudge them the time off, but DO go see them. THIS ISN'T a breakup rumor starter or anything so don't get your panties in a wad, just get to the nearest rock show. "

PBM

Damn.

They deserve it, they've been moving hard for a few years, and Patterson & Cooley both have little ones, and have been on the road a lot.

But damn...

Should've gone to that L.A. festival.

At least my panties aren't in a wad.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • merkinball wrote:
    Damn.

I came this close to not seeing them this fall...this makes my decision that much better.

Rockin' on Beale Friday Night.

PBM

• sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    Saw this posted by Jenn on the Nine Bullets Board:

PBM

Wow, thats a little rough to hear, but they do deserve some time off... I am heading up to the second night in Athens... was really hoping for a local show or two down here in Florida this fall/winter...

I wonder if what she really means is that while the band is going on hiatus, the various solo ventures will be taking the forefront?

It is still a little scary whenever a band says something like this though, no matter how much they insist it isn't a potential break up.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
    NakedClown wrote:
    I've been playing it over and over and over...

I can't wait for solo albums and new music from this band... so good...

In the menatime, I am absolutely thrilled with what I've discovered by introducing myself to Slobberbone's back catalog...

Slobberbone is fantastic, and I am kicking myself for not getting into them sooner... You know like, before they broke up... I guess better late than never.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Re: DBT and a rest...

They have so many references to the Band and others that just didn't survive on the road.
    I know they know how tough it is and Patterson's got a family now and whatnot....
    The band is all smart and all professionals and I think they'll do us right...but they know about the road...they need a break. Hell, I saw em three times this summer and that was pretty exhausting in itself...
    ;)

so, yeah, I think I could see that coming for 07.
    Whatever it takes for Isbell to put out that damn solo record...

• Cold and Rainy in Western Ky on down to the Southern edge of Tennessee.

"The clouds started forming at five o'clock pm
    The funnel clouds touched down
    five miles north of Russellville
    Sirens were blowing, clouds spat rain
    and as the things came threw, it sounded like a train"

Truckers tonight...looking forward to the show. I'll report back in full later this weekend.

PBM

• ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    the new daisy's gonna rock tonight. i am about to get my pre-game on. whiskey of course. i wish it was jack like they'll have on stage but i'm short on $$$.

i hope i hear gravity's gone, but space city would do. i love cooley but if he ever put out a solo album half their fans might kill themselves. he can make you want to cry on your best day.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
  • DBT rocked their balls off tonight. They have to be top 10 bands to see live that are touring now. Big catalogue, nice long shows with varying setlists, and very high energy. They sure can make me forget how long it has been since I have seen PJ. It really kicked ass.....Dress Blues was played and Goddamn Lonely Love as well. Well I am too tired for anymore of a review other than to say that they were on fire and seemed to be in very high spirits. Go see them if you can!
    I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.

Mitch Hedberg
  • Not in order of appearance*

The Living Bubba
    18 Wheels of Love
    Buttholeville
    Bulldozers and Dirt
    Uncle Frank
    The Night G.G. Allen Came to Town
    Ronnie and Neil
    Let There Be Rock
    Women without whiskey
    Shut Up and Get On The Plane
    Sink Hole
    Marry Me
    Outfit
    Dress Blues (Full Band)
    Do It Yourself
    One of These Days
    John Henry
    Puttin' People on the Moon
    Never Gonna Change
    Lookout Mountain*-Set Opener
    Goddamn Lonely Love
    People Who Died*-Set Closer
    Feb. 14
    Gravity's Gone
    Wednesday

The Drams played a Big Star tune to end their set and dedicated it to Jason (who was watching from the front of the stage)

PBM

• Not in order of appearance*

The Living Bubba
    18 Wheels of Love
    Buttholeville
    Bulldozers and Dirt
    Uncle Frank
    Ronnie and Neil
    Let There Be Rock
    Women without whiskey
    Sink Hole
    Marry Me
    Outfit
    Dress Blues (Full Band)
    Do It Yourself
    One of These Days
    John Henry
    Never Gonna Change
    Goddamn Lonely Love
    Feb. 14
    Gravity's Gone
    Wednesday

The Drams played a Big Star tune to end their set and dedicated it to Jason (who was watching from the front of the stage)

PBM

That's a hell of a set...
    LOVE lookout opening....they did that in DC too

good crowd? any good Patterson stories?
  • good crowd? any good Patterson stories?

Last night was one of the 3 times I get drunk in a given year, so it's a tad hazy this morning.

New Daisy is a great venue. We sat up in the balcony. We could stand when we wanted to or sit if we got tired.

Patterson did tell a quick story about how he used to work at The New Daisy back in the 90's.

Met some really cool Trucker fans last night. Everyone was really cool and friendly.

Seeing the Truckers now, reminds me of how it used to be seeing Pearl Jam...I hate to say that. :(

PBM

• Seeing the Truckers now, reminds me of how it used to be seeing Pearl Jam...I hate to say that. :(

PBM

Why do you say that? Just curious.......I felt that way too when I got home from the show. I made me sad to feel that. I am still trying to sort out the feelings there. I think part of it is how PJ didnt come around here and apparently arent going to anytime soon. I dont know....its weird.
    I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.

Mitch Hedberg
  • I'm not really sure.

I think it's a combination of things for me. I still really appreciate their music, but I think I'm a little burnt out right now.

I'm still farily new to a lot of the Truckers material, so the whole setlist is pretty exciting to me. Conversely, if Pearl Jam plays Evenflow, I'm ready for the next song...I've heard it 10 times.

It's a personal thing...nothing against Pearl Jam, because they're still a great band.

I think after a few years of not seeing PJ, I'll want to reconnect with their live material.

We'll see.

PBM

Not in order of appearance*

The Living Bubba
    18 Wheels of Love
    Buttholeville
    Bulldozers and Dirt
    Uncle Frank
    Ronnie and Neil
    Let There Be Rock
    Women without whiskey
    Sink Hole
    Marry Me
    Outfit
    Dress Blues (Full Band)
    Do It Yourself
    One of These Days
    John Henry
    Never Gonna Change
    Goddamn Lonely Love
    Feb. 14
    Gravity's Gone
    Wednesday

PBM

Great looking set..........72!!!!! Wednesday!!!! Women without Whiskey!!!!! The only thing remotely missing is Zip City.

Wish things would have worked out, and we could have been at the show. Maybe somewhere down the road........
  • tybird wrote:
    72!!!!!

As soon as I heard it, I thought of you Tybird...I remember you saying that hadn't heard that one live yet.
    tybird wrote:
    The only thing remotely missing is Zip City.

I concur, my friend. Here's hoping that they play it next time....in the words of Patterson on Friday night, "...in a couple of years."

PBM

As soon as I heard it, I thought of you Tybird...I remember you saying that hadn't heard that one live yet.

I concur, my friend. Here's hoping that they play it next time....in the words of Patterson on Friday night, "...in a couple of years."

PBM
    Yes sir...........that one is missing from my DBT live resume. :(
    Not in order of appearance*

The Living Bubba
    18 Wheels of Love
    Buttholeville
    Bulldozers and Dirt
    Uncle Frank
    Ronnie and Neil
    Let There Be Rock
    Women without whiskey
    Sink Hole
    Marry Me
    Outfit
    Dress Blues (Full Band)
    Do It Yourself
    One of These Days
    John Henry
    Never Gonna Change
    Goddamn Lonely Love
    Feb. 14
    Gravity's Gone
    Wednesday

PBM

That is "Where the Devil Don't Stay" and "Zip City" shy of being a pretty damn near perfect setlist...

"One of These Days" is a current favorite of mine that I would love to hear...

Can't wait for next week in Athens.