Drive By Truckers - A Blessing and a Curse

Comments

• PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    Holy cripes!!! I can't believe I've never heard this band before. Awesome stuff. Wow!! I can't wait to check out their other albums - what should I get next?

Zip City....damn, I dig that tune.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Saratoga 7/30 Set-

Space City
    Lookout Mtn
    Easy on Yourself
    Feb 14
    Zip City
    Let Me Roll it to You (P McCartney)(Isbell singin)
    Sinkhole
    Let There be Rock

Short but sweet. Cooley's "city songs" are amazing.

Crowd wasn't that big, but reception was pretty good - Patterson was really jumping around all over the place.
    :D
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Saratoga 7/30 Set-

Space City
    Lookout Mtn
    Easy on Yourself
    Feb 14
    Zip City
    Let Me Roll it to You (P McCartney)(Isbell singin)
    Sinkhole
    Let There be Rock

Short but sweet. Cooley's "city songs" are amazing.

Crowd wasn't that big, but reception was pretty good - Patterson was really jumping around all over the place.

Nice...........They did "Let Me Roll it to You" as part of the set for their Friday after Thanksgiving show here in Birmingham.......nice.........However, it is strange seeing Lookout Mountain near the front of a set. I am used to it as an encore song. PBM is correct..........Zip City is always a treat.

The small crowd for their set seems to be a theme running through most of these Black Crowes dates.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    Aug 1st....patiently waiting for tour dates. ;)

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• KricketKricket Posts: 707
    Aug 1st....patiently waiting for tour dates. ;)

PBM
    There up!!!

http://www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdates.html
  • awesome!

thanks
    Kricket wrote:

I don't think those are it...those were up yesterday ;)

I think they're suppose to announce their fall line up.

Edit: Nevermind...I had to hit refresh...took me a minute...glad I wasn't the only one...other folks on Nine Bullets had problems too :)

PBM

I think I'm gonna hit the Detroit gig! The venue is not so good but I really want to see them again but on their own :)
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    Damnit, nothing in Florida... So I am thinking, Macon maybe... or the two Tennesee dates towards the end of the tour.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
    or the two Tennesee dates towards the end of the tour.

I'd like to hit the Nashville show, but the Memphis one is a better fit...I'd only have to take one day off of work.

PBM

• God bless DBT!

Comin to Lancaster, just like I asked!

Sent Jenn an email to see if they can do my radio show...

Another front row DBT show.

Hell yes!

Sent Jenn an email to see if they can do my radio show...

Seriously man...at least inquire about a call-in for your show.

PBM

• YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    tybird wrote:
    The small crowd for their set seems to be a theme running through most of these Black Crowes dates.

Not at the Philly show on Saturday - good & enthusiastic crowd for the Truckers there. It was a GA show so that probably had a lot to do with it. Also it's kinda hard to tailgate in that part of Philly!
    I'm psyched about the new tourdates. I'm hitting the 2 MA shows, NYC, and Philly for sure. Baltimore, Lancaster, and State College (if it happens) are possibilities.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Seriously man...at least inquire about a call-in for your show.

PBM
    I am dude!

The club is five blocks from my house, ten from our studio on campus.
    So, hopefully that works out.
    They're only in State College the day before, so they should be in town fairly early.
    And no show the next day, so....big party at my house?

;)
    Yefa wrote:
    Not at the Philly show on Saturday - good & enthusiastic crowd for the Truckers there. It was a GA show so that probably had a lot to do with it. Also it's kinda hard to tailgate in that part of Philly!
    There's your answer.............the show in Birmingham was reserved seats, and the venue (and its large fenced-in parking area) is in the suburbs amidst a seemingly endless array of restaurants.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Been in contact with some folks at New West...
    will keep y'all updated on my interview quest as it progresses.

Been in contact with some folks at New West...
    will keep y'all updated on my interview quest as it progresses.

Cool that'd be kick ass!

Question....so what's their deal with the UB40 on stage? Just cause they are Drive By Truckers? Just thought I'd double check incase I'm missing something :)
  • Kricket wrote:
    Cool that'd be kick ass!

Question....so what's their deal with the UB40 on stage? Just cause they are Drive By Truckers? Just thought I'd double check incase I'm missing something :)
    you don't mean WD40, do you?
    Patterson puts it on his strings.

UB40 is a reggae group, right?

- - -
    Someone from New West said they'd check the band's schedule and get back to me about the interview.

The waiting is the hardest part.
  • BTW, this new record from the Drams is kicking my ass...it's just gorgeous.

Never quite heard anything like it.
    Kind of like REM meets the Traveling Wilburys.

maybe that's just me...

Brent Smith fronts up The Drams right? I've been meaning to check into that record.

Talked to my cousin this weekend...we're thinking about going to the New Daisy show in Memphis in late October.

I want to see them in a small club again.

PBM

• Brent Smith fronts up The Drams right? I've been meaning to check into that record.

Talked to my cousin this weekend...we're thinking about going to the New Daisy show in Memphis in late October.

I want to see them in a small club again.

PBM

1) yes, I do believe. Not a big slobberbone fan yet...gotta buy some of those records. just got this with all the gushing Patterson's done over it. it's really kind of "poppy" - the little Slobberbone I've seen on youtube is much "harder" or sloppier...

2) yes...going to be a good couple shows here in PA with DBT. Philly and Lancaster...State College is only 120 miles away, but in the middle of nowhere...would take forever to get there.
    :(
  • NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    Slobberbone - Crow Pot Pie - is a fun album... still saving up pennies for more of their stuff (and The Drams record)...
  • http://drivebytruckers.com/notes.html

New note from Patterson..
    some new songs being written (hope they play em in the fall...)

Plus their solo records seem to be moving along for 07.

Sweet.
    Love to hear the hope of new music out of Patterson's mouth...
  • Drams are in Philly this Saturday 8/12...

I'd go had I known sooner...now have to work...

:(
    Everyone go over to Youtube and type in Drive-By-Truckers "SPACE CITY" - there is a sick video of Cooley absolutely owning that song...
  • NakedClown wrote:
    Everyone go over to Youtube and type in Drive-By-Truckers "SPACE CITY" - there is a sick video of Cooley absolutely owning that song...
    Done

• http://www.archive.org/details/dbt2005-01-01.sbd.flac16

great show from NYC, 05
    Patterson has a great story/joke after "ain't talking about love"

I'm still laughing

Their cover of Hey Ya is brilliant. I've got that in my iPod.

PBM

Their cover of Hey Ya is brilliant. I've got that in my iPod.

PBM
    and any other itunes users should note that live tracks from the Live at the 40 Watt Dvd are available for download at the itunes music store.