Supernova

Comments

• icarus wrote:
    the only way she could survive on her own is if shes a good songwriter. what shes shown so far is that she cant write for crap. i guess we'll really see after the upcoming 'songwriting clinics'

how do you know lukas is an alcoholic?

if you listen to some of her older stuff she's actually a pretty good songwriter. it had more of a pop rock and folk feel to it, but still pretty good. she admitted in her blog that the song she wrote before for the show was terrible after she had a chance to reflect and said she should have taken it more seriously and put more effort into it.

alcoholic?...just a prediction :)
  • well she was solo before rockstar and that went no where, so why would it go anywhere now?
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • well she was solo before rockstar and that went no where, so why would it go anywhere now?

some solo stuff, some with a band. they were fairly well known in europe for a bit, played some big festivals and were on a couple of movie soundtracks.

why now in north america?...exposure from the show probabaly.
  • funkymonkfunkymonk Posts: 279
    Like Lukas, I find Dilana could pass for a Muppet or a Troll Doll. She's lucky that she's had a string of good performances because she clearly performed the worst of the bottom three. I have been a fan of her's this season but am quickly getting bored of her and not because of the latest controversy. Not a huge fan of the 3 pack a day voice. She and Stevie Nicks should hook up.

I was expecting Storm to go last night so Ryan leaving was a little unexpected but not unwarranted. He appeared intoxicated during his bottom three performance. Jason was right when he stated that Ryan tends to lose focus on his voice when he gets carried away on stage. The whole climbing on top of things seemed a little contrived especially last night.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,680
    Methinks they dropped Ryan just to keep the male/female ratio from getting too lopsided. Not cause they're gonna hire a woman (unless the already hired Lukas gets a sex change), just to keep up the illusion for the time being.

Of course when Storm(and her alarming abdomen) was singing and my wife said "maybe its just me, but I don't like her voice", my response was "I think she has a penis", wife didn't find it amusing...and then when they came back at the end and she had the mic in her pants I sais "See I was right!"

When Dilana was "singing", at one point I'm saying to the TV, "words, where are the words"...that was a ridiculously awful performance, worst of the 3 by far. ("Realisons mon histoire"....never heard that verse, just some mumbling and I think she started singing "Dilana Dilana" again)

Ryan doesn't really fit the band, but didn't deserve to go before Storm, and if elimination were based solely on last night's performance, Dilana should have been sent packing.

I think when they do send her, the reason will be something like she couldn't handle the pressures of fronting the band as the past week has evidenced.

And actually Lukas seemed to fit well on stage with the band, and that was probably the best of the 3 SN songs thus far.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    funkymonk wrote:
    The whole climbing on top of things seemed a little contrived especially last night.
    I think it worked pretty well on the piano during Coldplay Tuesday, but I agree it looked way too contrived last night.
  • offigooffigo Posts: 81
    Last night. First the new song sung by Lukas was horrific!!!! The song stunk a the only thing that could have redeemed it slightly was a good voice in front, they didn't have that. BABA by Ryan was also pretty embarrassing. He "jumped the shark" with the stage antics and his voice suffered. Storm, again too much stage antics, but if you closed your eyes she sounded pretty good. I was so glad that Magni got the most votes, I love that guy. Toby in my opinion will fit them better, but Magni would take them up a notch. I wasn't surprised to see Dilana in the bottom 3, and I think she might have forgotten the words last night. I think she can be a bitch but I would rather her not go yet, I like her scratchy voice. I am also glad that Ryan went over Storm, he kind of bores me. I know she is annoying, but you have to sit back and close your eyes and she actually has a great voice. Wish it were Lukas going home last night, but the show is so fixed already.
    "Really don't mind if you sit this one out.

My words but a whisper -- your deafness a SHOUT.
    I may make you feel but I can't make you think."
  • CrazyJDCrazyJD Posts: 103
    Poncier wrote:
    And actually Lukas seemed to fit well on stage with the band, and that was probably the best of the 3 SN songs thus far.

By far the best SN song of the three IMO.. .although like the other songs, the song gets really repetitive by the end of it, like they only finished 75% of it and just filled the rest with the same stuff. The song actually wasnt a 70's KISS sound, and Lukas did bring a unique style to the band... the others looked like contestants singing SN songs, whereas this felt more like Lukas was part of the band, and really looked it heading to commercial standing with the band.

Whether they make good music, and whether you like Lukas or not, he just made it clear to me again that if they want something distinct (unlike a Toby Billy Idol singer) Lukas is their only option and always has been. He does need to work on his stamina, cant see him singing for 2 hours. I think the recorded album would sound pretty cool with him, but like Billy Corgan and Raine from OLP, I think the concert vocals would be quite straining after a while.
    Halifax, Summer 2008... they return!
  • bluemonkeybluemonkey Posts: 198
    you guys keep saying that lukas has already been hired....how the hell could you know that??
  • BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    While I am obviously disappointed that Storm Large is going to be around to annoy me for another week, Ryan has never really been an option for the band. Storm, despite her above-average singing voice, is the most annoying human being on earth and if there's a god in heaven she'll go next week. "Do you remember how to MOSH?" UUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!! Note how last night she not only continued to dance like Anthony Keidis but started dressing like him. Next week she might take it a step further and prove Poncier right by walking out there with a sock on her penis. But back to Ryan - that was the worst Baba O'Riley I've ever heard, ten times worse than our dear departed beer chuggin' bad tattoo girl, whatever her name was. Ryan is more of an emo Billy Joel than an 80's hair band singer like Tommy Lee wants. He was never going to win, so he might as well have gone home.

The Supernova song was the best one they have done yet, but that's damning with extremely faint praise. I found myself incredibly bored and had to remind myself to pay attention. Honestly, the 3 rockers' original songs were better than the 3 Supernova songs. I can't wait for the "songwriting clinic." The rockers should teach Supernova how to to write songs that sound like they were written after 1988.
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • offigooffigo Posts: 81
    bluemonkey wrote:
    you guys keep saying that lukas has already been hired....how the hell could you know that??

Your right, I/we don't know that. The thing is they keep praising him like he is the second coming, when the performances suck (which is just my opinion).
    "Really don't mind if you sit this one out.

My words but a whisper -- your deafness a SHOUT.
    I may make you feel but I can't make you think."
  • ryan "the dark horse" starr: "i'll see you on the record charts, because that's where i'll be hanging out." is this guy serious?? :D
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    ryan "the dark horse" starr: "i'll see you on the record charts, because that's where i'll be hanging out." is this guy serious?? :D

there's no doubt he'll put out an album.

whaddaya wanna bet that it's called "Dark Horse"... :rolleyes: :D
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • now question time
    A roommate told me there are two songs by the Who
    this is relating to the whole Ryan star elimination preformance

One is Baba o'Riley and the other is called Teenage Wasteland, now i like the Who, and this girl swears that they are two different songs. I think she is missing the plate on this one.
    But is there any difference? she says its the way they sing it, makes it a different song?
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
    BrainOfJD wrote:
    While I am obviously disappointed that Storm Large is going to be around to annoy me for another week, Ryan has never really been an option for the band. Storm, despite her above-average singing voice, is the most annoying human being on earth and if there's a god in heaven she'll go next week. "Do you remember how to MOSH?" UUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!! Note how last night she not only continued to dance like Anthony Keidis but started dressing like him. Next week she might take it a step further and prove Poncier right by walking out there with a sock on her penis. But back to Ryan - that was the worst Baba O'Riley I've ever heard, ten times worse than our dear departed beer chuggin' bad tattoo girl, whatever her name was. Ryan is more of an emo Billy Joel than an 80's hair band singer like Tommy Lee wants. He was never going to win, so he might as well have gone home.

The Supernova song was the best one they have done yet, but that's damning with extremely faint praise. I found myself incredibly bored and had to remind myself to pay attention. Honestly, the 3 rockers' original songs were better than the 3 Supernova songs. I can't wait for the "songwriting clinic." The rockers should teach Supernova how to to write songs that sound like they were written after 1988.

That was a bad Baba for sure... waaaaay too angry. I also enjoyed Dana singing it much more amazingly...

I won't miss Ryan, who says he could have "made great music with SN for 20 years", after not making any great music for the past 15 years apparently.
  • floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
    CrazyJD wrote:
    after not making any great music for the past 15 years apparently.

I like Ryan's music. Sometimes good artists go undiscovered and are buried in one big city.
  • there's no doubt he'll put out an album.

ya, i can just see him on the cover of the album, dressed in black, looking all dark and disturbed. his original song was bad. about making love because the world is ending. please. :rolleyes:
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    The one thing Lukas didn't do that made is performance really bland is that he refused to interact with the band in any way. When he's on stage he tries to make it all about him.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • surferdude wrote:
    The one thing Lukas didn't do that made is performance really bland is that he refused to interact with the band in any way. When he's on stage he tries to make it all about him.

he thinks he's cool. :cool:
  • surferdude wrote:

true, which is a really bad idea.
    surferdude wrote:

Didnt he get up on Tommy's drums and hit them, and then later lean into Gilby on guitar? Seems like the token "hey look at these has-beens" gesture to me ;)
  • there's no doubt he'll put out an album.

no doubt...i was thinking the same thing as he made his ever so humble exit. :)
  • bluemonkeybluemonkey Posts: 198
    surferdude wrote:
    you guys gotta stop,seriously.....what does he have to play air guitar next to gilby?!?come off it.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I think Toby would be the best fit for the band. Lukas, I don't know, I thought he was pretty bad this week.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    now question time
    A roommate told me there are two songs by the Who
    this is relating to the whole Ryan star elimination preformance

One is Baba o'Riley and the other is called Teenage Wasteland, now i like the Who, and this girl swears that they are two different songs. I think she is missing the plate on this one.
    But is there any difference? she says its the way they sing it, makes it a different song?
    Only one song.
    Most people who don't know the title assume that the title is "Teenage Wasteland" cause thats the chorus.
  • vedderwoodvedderwood Posts: 2,029
    brainofPJ wrote:
    never thought Ryan was that good like some people say here. he's just got this cheezy look on his face when he's trying too hard.

I so agree with you 100%...I find him to be very nerdy and he is way too over the top with the props/slides/jumping into crowds, etc.! Every week he had a "pre-planned" spontaneous plan (aka: the champagne bottle last night and the ever so ridiculous piano slides from the night before)! Although he does seem like a sensitive/nice guy, he bored me to death and I wasn't that crazy about his voice...therefore, I'm thrilled he's gone!

On another note, I have to admit that I'm starting to like Storm a little more!

Don't you all miss Zayra like I do? :D
    DC 6/14/98
    NJ 8/28 & 8/29/98
    NJ 9/1 & 9/2/00
    PA 4/28/03
    NJ 7/5 & 7/6/03
    NY 7/8/03
    PA 7/12/03
    PA 10/1/04
    DC 10/11/04
    NJ 9/30 & 10/1/05
    PA 10/3/05
    NJ 5/27 & 5/28/06
    DC 5/30/06
    NJ 6/1 & 6/3/06
    WA 7/22 & 7/23/06
    IL 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19 & 6/20/08
    DC 6/22/08
    NY 6/24 & 6/25/08
    NY 7/1/08
    PA 10/27, 10/28, 10/30 & 10/31/09
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    vedderwood wrote:

Don't you all miss Zayra like I do? :D

The show hasn't been the same since she left. I miss seeing Newstead have to put a binder over his crotch when she was on stage. :)

What was wrong with Skunk head actually being the lead singer last night? He was okay and he was singing. Is he supposed to grind up on the guitarist's leg? Help Newstead clap instead of playing bass?

Thank god I got my tickets for Toronto on Jan 8. I just hope the singer I want to front the band is there. NOT!!!!
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • vedderwoodvedderwood Posts: 2,029
    offigo wrote:
    Last night. First the new song sung by Lukas was horrific!!!! The song stunk a the only thing that could have redeemed it slightly was a good voice in front, they didn't have that. BABA by Ryan was also pretty embarrassing. He "jumped the shark" with the stage antics and his voice suffered.

I am also glad that Ryan went over Storm, he kind of bores me. I know she is annoying, but you have to sit back and close your eyes and she actually has a great voice.

Hahahaha...I am laughing out loud so hard!!!! The Supernova originals get worse and worse each week...they should be completely embarressed by their originals! Horrific is a great word to describe them! And I'm thrilled that you think that way about Ryan..I totally agree!

And Poncier (I think you're the one who posted this) but I'm pretty sure I heard a few "Dilana, Dilana"s in her performance last night too...hahaha! I still like her though!
    DC 6/14/98
    NJ 8/28 & 8/29/98
    NJ 9/1 & 9/2/00
    PA 4/28/03
    NJ 7/5 & 7/6/03
    NY 7/8/03
    PA 7/12/03
    PA 10/1/04
    DC 10/11/04
    NJ 9/30 & 10/1/05
    PA 10/3/05
    NJ 5/27 & 5/28/06
    DC 5/30/06
    NJ 6/1 & 6/3/06
    WA 7/22 & 7/23/06
    IL 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19 & 6/20/08
    DC 6/22/08
    NY 6/24 & 6/25/08
    NY 7/1/08
    PA 10/27, 10/28, 10/30 & 10/31/09
  • BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    vedderwood wrote:
    And Poncier (I think you're the one who posted this) but I'm pretty sure I heard a few "Dilana, Dilana"s in her performance last night too...hahaha! I still like her though!

She's trying to send subliminal messages to the voters :D

vedderwood wrote:
    Don't you all miss Zayra like I do?

Every time I watch the show. :( When they got rid of Zayra, they already knew that they weren't going to pick Patrice or Ryan. Why not get rid of those 2 first - and maybe Storm too - and treat the viewers to a few more weeks of Zayra madness? It's reality TV 101 - keep the interesting contestants and get rid of the boring ones, regardless of the actual competition.
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    surferdude wrote:

In several episodes he kept facing the band and had his back to the audience and Supernova bitched at him for it -- saying don't worry about us, the fans want to see you. Not that I like him, but just wanted to correct that.

I thought Storm should have gone. That Anthony Keidis comment was pretty funny....