Kamala Harris VEEP Pick

Comments

• benjsbenjs Posts: 9,108
    Gretchen Whitmer
    njhaley1 said:
    Walz is killing it in this speech.

"These guys are creepy and just weird as hell"
    Most energized I’ve been about this party since prime Obama. I thought they were cooked a few weeks ago, can’t believe they spun that mess into this, total miracle, now just gotta keep the momentum going.
    it's been fun to watch. i hate how it went down with biden being pressured out, but i believe deep down he is seeing this and knows he made the right choice.
    You cannot convince me that this wasn't all planned, that Biden's week of prep wasn't actually prep to make him seem bewildered enough to push people to call for him to stand down, meanwhile the Kamala machine was getting tuned up behind the curtain and ready to roar out of the gates.

Trump and his merch army spends all sorts of time, money, and effort targeting FJB and Biden pulls the rug out under him after he's secured the ticket, named his running mate, and can't back out unless he's physically incapable of running.

I don't watch wrestling, but this seems like a classic wrestling ploy - straight out of the Vince McMahon playbook. By gawd that's Kamala's music! 
    You guys are hilarious. When he does well, it’s performance enhancing drugs. When he does badly, he’s inept and senile. When he does badly and does something about it, the 81 year old was actually just playing 81 for theatre to fool the crowd. All avenues, no matter how patently absurd, lead to criticism of Democrats - how you guys think Democrats would ever take you seriously with such unsophisticated, inauthentic, and predictable behaviour like that is beyond me. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • njhaley1njhaley1 Posts: 736
    njhaley1 said:

Most energized I’ve been about this party since prime Obama. I thought they were cooked a few weeks ago, can’t believe they spun that mess into this, total miracle, now just gotta keep the momentum going.
    it's been fun to watch. i hate how it went down with biden being pressured out, but i believe deep down he is seeing this and knows he made the right choice.
    You cannot convince me that this wasn't all planned, that Biden's week of prep wasn't actually prep to make him seem bewildered enough to push people to call for him to stand down, meanwhile the Kamala machine was getting tuned up behind the curtain and ready to roar out of the gates.

Trump and his merch army spends all sorts of time, money, and effort targeting FJB and Biden pulls the rug out under him after he's secured the ticket, named his running mate, and can't back out unless he's physically incapable of running.

I don't watch wrestling, but this seems like a classic wrestling ploy - straight out of the Vince McMahon playbook. By gawd that's Kamala's music! 
    I don't believe that at all...Biden doesn't need any help to make him seem bewildered. The debate performance should have convinced you of that.
    Then I'll stick to believing it privately.  But remind me, which camp, exactly, lead the push on timing of the debate - the earliest in US history and only one ever set to take place before the conventions?  And tell me honestly - do you think Biden really walks around presently with his mouth agape like that? He's old, but to me that was a caricature of an old person. Was the delay in stepping down until after the republican convention simply coincidental? 

If all of this is a coincidence, it's a very fortunate one.  If not, it's quite the masterstroke.  
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    benjs said:
    njhaley1 said:

You guys are hilarious. When he does well, it’s performance enhancing drugs. When he does badly, he’s inept and senile. When he does badly and does something about it, the 81 year old was actually just playing 81 for theatre to fool the crowd. All avenues, no matter how patently absurd, lead to criticism of Democrats - how you guys think Democrats would ever take you seriously with such unsophisticated, inauthentic, and predictable behaviour like that is beyond me. 
    This is exactly why I posted that it was on purpose when she took over.  Biden was in on it the entire time! 😂 Feed the republicans as many false statements/stories as we can.  They don’t deal in facts so give them what they want!  It’s like using reverse psychology on little kids.  
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,703
    edited August 7
    Josh Shapiro
    njhaley1 said:
    njhaley1 said:

I don't believe that at all...Biden doesn't need any help to make him seem bewildered. The debate performance should have convinced you of that.
    Then I'll stick to believing it privately.  But remind me, which camp, exactly, lead the push on timing of the debate - the earliest in US history and only one ever set to take place before the conventions?  And tell me honestly - do you think Biden really walks around presently with his mouth agape like that? He's old, but to me that was a caricature of an old person. Was the delay in stepping down until after the republican convention simply coincidental? 

If all of this is a coincidence, it's a very fortunate one.  If not, it's quite the masterstroke.  
    yeah if you believe that Biden had to be convinced to step aside and that his camp put him out there to prove that then yes...masterstroke.

I took your comment to mean that they trained Biden to act more bewildered than usual. 

Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    benjs said:
    njhaley1 said:

What do you mean "you guys?" If it's not clear, I'm liberal, love the fresh ticket, and spell behavior without a "u". 
    njhaley1 said:
    njhaley1 said:

Maybe it’s divine intervention, karma…
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,108
    Gretchen Whitmer
    njhaley1 said:
    benjs said:
    njhaley1 said:

What do you mean "you guys?" If it's not clear, I'm liberal, love the fresh ticket, and spell behavior without a "u". 
    My apologies for grouping you in with Republicans - I hope you can understand the confusion, as the three scenarios I laid out are right-wing talking points for the situation, and you referenced one of them. 

No apologies for my Canadian spelling choices though ;) 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    Josh Shapiro
    I love Biden so it was a bit painful for me but the optics for him were just bad. I'm not in the camp that thinks he has a mental decline...to me it's more physical and just not being quite as quick with his verbal skills. Comparing Biden today vs four years ago is quite a difference and it did make me feel like Biden 2-3 years from now might not be good.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,701
    edited August 7
    Josh Shapiro
    I do agree that these things were probably planned to some degree for awhile, at the very least as a contingency.    I do not believe that Biden purposely blew the debate.  I honestly don't think the debate was necessary to pull the switch.  That just made it clear a change needed to be made, no energy was coming, and they likely timed everything to buffer the Convention bump and draw the Republican VP choice out before Biden announced his decision.

This also is/was a risky move.  If the Democrats fractured over the vacancy, and we had a Bernie Sanders situation arise, things could have gotten a lot worse than if Biden just stuck with it.  I am quite surprised that everything went behind Harris so quickly.  The same thing with Walz.  By all accounts it seems everyone is pleased with the decision.  
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
    MayDay10 said:
    I do agree that these things were probably planned to some degree for awhile, at the very least as a contingency.    I do not believe that Biden purposely blew the debate.  I honestly don't think the debate was necessary to pull the switch.  That just made it clear a change needed to be made, no energy was coming, and they likely timed everything to buffer the Convention bump and draw the Republican VP choice out before Biden announced his decision.

This also is/was a risky move.  If the Democrats fractured over the vacancy, and we had a Bernie Sanders situation arise, things could have gotten a lot worse than if Biden just stuck with it.  I am quite surprised that everything went behind Harris so quickly.  The same thing with Walz.  By all accounts it seems everyone is pleased with the decision.  
    Honestly I think the people of the US wanted anybody other than Biden and trump, and I mean anybody!!!! 
    njhaley1 said:
    njhaley1 said:

Not possible, we know he only has eyes for one of the candidates. He had a grudge against that poor firefighter, though.

benjs said:
    njhaley1 said:
    benjs said:
    njhaley1 said:

My apologies for grouping you in with Republicans - I hope you can understand the confusion, as the three scenarios I laid out are right-wing talking points for the situation, and you referenced one of them. 

I wasn't even aware it was a talking point. I would have voted for him to save democracy, but this whole switcheroo has 2008 level energy and that seems very hard to do without some of the machinery already in place. I hope they both plan to show up in Phoenix later this week. It'll be the first rally I've been to since Obama.

Just wish my White Dudes for Kamala hat would hurry up and get here. 
    njhaley1 said:
    njhaley1 said:
    njhaley1 said:

Not possible, we know he only has eyes for one of the candidates. He had a grudge against that poor firefighter, though.

benjs said:
    njhaley1 said:
    benjs said:
    njhaley1 said:

I wasn't even aware it was a talking point. I would have voted for him to save democracy, but this whole switcheroo has 2008 level energy and that seems very hard to do without some of the machinery already in place. I hope they both plan to show up in Phoenix later this week. It'll be the first rally I've been to since Obama.

You mean she 😂 just teasing!!! 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,634
    njhaley1 said:

Brandon’s week of prep was also negotiating a hostage swap on a 2:1 basis, you know, presidenting.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    njhaley1 said:
    njhaley1 said:
    njhaley1 said:

Then I'll stick to believing it privately.  But remind me, which camp, exactly, lead the push on timing of the debate - the earliest in US history and only one ever set to take place before the conventions?  And tell me honestly - do you think Biden really walks around presently with his mouth agape like that? He's old, but to me that was a caricature of an old person. Was the delay in stepping down until after the republican coJusttion simply coincidental? 

If ahat woulds is a coincidence, it's a very fortunate one.  If not, it's quite the masterstroke.  

benjs said:
    njhaley1 said:
    benjs said:
    njhaley1 said:

I don't know her directly, only indirectly. But years ago, God identified as a he, and now just happened to turn she. Someone should look into that.

On the plus side, I can reuse my "Madame President if you're nasty" pin. 
    Josh Shapiro
    pjl44 said:
    yeah they have been suggesting that tRump's camp was directing the choice of VP. I find that hard to believe.

edited August 7
    pjl44 said:
    yeah they have been suggesting that tRump's camp was directing the choice of VP. I find that hard to believe.
    Did they try? Probably. 

Did it work? Not in the way they expected.

They're trying to paint her as anti-Israel, while betting (correctly, it seems) that the uninformed forget that her husband - Doug Emhoff - happens to be Jewish. 
    Post edited by njhaley1 on
    njhaley1 said:
    njhaley1 said:
    njhaley1 said:
    njhaley1 said:

Then I'll stick to believing it privately.  But remind me, which camp, exactly, lead the push on timing of the debate - the earliest in US history and only one ever set to take place before the conventions?  And tell me honestly - do you think Biden really walks around presently with his mouth agape like that? He's old, but to me that was a caricature of an old person. Was the delay in stepping down until after the republican coJusttion simply coincidental? 

If ahat woulds is a coincidence, it's a very fortunate one.  If not, it's quite the masterstroke.  

benjs said:
    njhaley1 said:
    benjs said:
    njhaley1 said:

I don't know her directly, only indirectly. But years ago, God identified as a he, and now just happened to turn she. Someone should look into that.

It’s like what trump said, Kamala turned black so anything’s possible! 

Loving the pin!  
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC Posts: 2,634
    Pete Buttigieg
    njhaley1 said:
    njhaley1 said:
    njhaley1 said:
    njhaley1 said:

benjs said:
    njhaley1 said:
    benjs said:
    njhaley1 said:

It’s like what trump said, Kamala turned black so anything’s possible! 

Loving the pin!  

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,264
    Josh Shapiro
    pjl44 said:
    Yeah, I'm skeptical about the degree to which it had an impact but just interesting 
  • benjs said:
    njhaley1 said:
    benjs said:
    njhaley1 said:

it ain't a choice ben. it's just correct. it's all aboot correctness!
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,199
    Tim Waltz
    pjl44 said:
    With sources saying consultans and ppl around Kamala was pushing Shapiro, but she went with Walz due to her vibing with him. I find that very far fetched. 

Not saying they could t have tried. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Josh Shapiro
    pjl44 said:
    With sources saying consultans and ppl around Kamala was pushing Shapiro, but she went with Walz due to her vibing with him. I find that very far fetched. 

Not saying they could t have tried. 
    I heard that she was more impressed with Walz having no desire to run for POTUS in the future. But it's all grapevine stuff until she confirms anything.

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,478
    Mark Kelly
    After the debate the Trump team should've at least had a plan for if Biden chose to drop out. I was told this was a disciplined and competent campaign operation. All I see is utterly fact-free ads from a "nurse" about the "border czar" and "illegals flooding ER's" - same ridiculously lying ad playing over and over. Nobody believes you, except for the zombies that already buy this stuff.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,987
    Josh Shapiro
    The difference in tone between a Harris rally and tRump rally is amazing. tRump is just moping around about being held accountable, crying about fake election fraud, doom and gloom as to how bad everything will be if he loses even though he lost four years ago, etc.

Those differences will magnify over the next 90 days as tRump gets more desperate and the polls start to slide against him. Internally he sees the writing on the wall.

No policy, nothing about the needs of the voters, just an airing of grievances. Every day is Festivus for him.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Josh Shapiro
    To be determined is what effect the tRump's basically taking over the RNC will have. Scaramucci says that the RNC closed a bunch of field offices that would normally be registering people to vote, etc.

• teskeincteskeinc Posts: 1,668
    Kamala trying to play both sides. Husband is a Jew, having Shapiro as a running mate would anger the anti-Semitic part of the party which she desperately needs especially in Michigan. Walz being from Minnesota, and fairly well liked there, seems to lock up that state. It does leave Pennsylvania for Trump to take now.

Right now it’s trying to hide her far left history and trying to paint her as a moderate. Walz looks like a reasonable Midwest older white guy despite his record in Minnesota. Look for the media to continue to push a moderate ticket and hide both of their radical left records, while pandering to the individual minority groups they need to win.
  • R's can't have it both ways. She was once painted as a ruthless AG that just locked everyone up and threw away the key. Now she's a "far left". 

Also, the "anti-semitic part of the party" is laughable. 

Minnesota was never in jeopardy. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

edited August 7
    Josh Shapiro
    teskeinc said:
    Kamala trying to play both sides. Husband is a Jew, having Shapiro as a running mate would anger the anti-Semitic part of the party which she desperately needs especially in Michigan. Walz being from Minnesota, and fairly well liked there, seems to lock up that state. It does leave Pennsylvania for Trump to take now.

Right now it’s trying to hide her far left history and trying to paint her as a moderate. Walz looks like a reasonable Midwest older white guy despite his record in Minnesota. Look for the media to continue to push a moderate ticket and hide both of their radical left records, while pandering to the individual minority groups they need to win.
    radical left vs radical right

left is generally for the people and right is generally for only white christians

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,642
    teskeinc said:

Hey, nice hot take. I keep seeing the right wing media act like they're the bastions of good by making sure liberals aren't getting screwed over by the democratic political machine. First a coup against Biden and now the anti-semitic claims. Nice try. Good thing Trump has the Yo-Semite vote locked up. Oh, by the way, if your wondering which party has more vocal and openly racist supporters/candidates, maybe send a mirror to them instead of donations. Maybe someone should look in to that...
    It's a hopeless situation...