Kamala Harris VEEP Pick

Vote and Discuss.

(Yes I used the name of the HBO show on purpose)
Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16

Kamala Harris VEEP Pick 28 votes

Andy Beshear
0%
Pete Buttigieg
7%
BentleyspopGlorified KC 2 votes
Roy Cooper
3%
darwinstheory 1 vote
Mark Kelly
10%
OnWis97Johnny AbruzzoRunIntoTheRain 3 votes
Josh Shapiro
50%
cincybearcatpjhawksbosshogg18MayDay10The Jugglerpjl44g under parqcurmudgeonessTim SimmonsGern BlanstenF Me In The BrainHobbesjoseph33 14 votes
Tim Waltz
14%
Spiritual_ChaosJedbelthookZoSoTim 4 votes
Raphael Warnock
0%
Gretchen Whitmer
3%
benjs 1 vote
Someone Else (tell us!)
3%
tempo_n_groove 1 vote
Who cares - Trump for Dictator!!!
7%
Hoagie BreathRynoman 2 votes

Comments

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory Posts: 6,324
    Roy Cooper
    I wish it would be Buttigieg, but I'm going with Roy to bring NC with him. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,987
    Josh Shapiro
    Pete's my wish too, but I'm guessing it will be Shapiro (who's also a great choice).
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,997
    Mark Kelly
    I think it has to be a white, Christian, hetero male.

Whitmer is probably my favorite person on the list but there's no way two women win. Not that I think Harris has much of a chance, but I'd say match JD with Mark Kelly; a military person that is actually still loyal to the country and not to one person.

I'm in Minnesota, and generally a fan of Walz. He's an OK choice, but at least on Paper, Kelly makes the most sense to me.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,703
    Josh Shapiro
    OnWis97 said:
    I think it has to be a white, Christian, hetero male.

Whitmer is probably my favorite person on the list but there's no way two women win. Not that I think Harris has much of a chance, but I'd say match JD with Mark Kelly; a military person that is actually still loyal to the country and not to one person.

I'm in Minnesota, and generally a fan of Walz. He's an OK choice, but at least on Paper, Kelly makes the most sense to me.
    Whitmer has said that she doesn't want to consider it right now.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,478
    Mark Kelly
    I like Kelly as well - he co-sponsored the bipartisan border bill that Trump blew up, he has a great story of his wife surviving American gun terrorism, and he's a freakin' astronaut. And he has won Arizona twice.

I'd selfishly like to keep our Governor Shapiro a little more than 2 years, honestly. He's much more effective than the last couple guys. Don't worry, we like astronauts here.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,214
    i think kelly needs to stay in the senate. otherwise we get senator kari lake.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    Josh Shapiro
    I'm hearing debate over whether to choose someone who "balances the ticket" by bringing in a key state or someone who excels at messaging. Pete's the best at messaging, hands-down. Shapiro also is very good at that. I heard/saw Beshear and Cooper on "Morning Joe" yesterday, and Cooper is much better at it than Beshear is.
    I mention this because Mark Kelly has a great resume (everyone thinks astronauts are cool), but I hear he's not a great speaker.
    I think Dems have a ton of great options.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,997
    Mark Kelly
    Interesting point...this might be enough to take him out of the running.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,703
    Josh Shapiro
    Yeah KY is a lost cause and IL is already blue. PA is the swinger
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • sheckyshecky Posts: 1,774

Harris snubs one of the few Dems open to being her VP: report

Kentucky Gov Andy Beshear is often mentioned as a potential vice presidential frontrunner

By Michael Lee Fox News
    Published July 23, 2024 12:52pm ED

Vice President Kamala Harris has begun vetting possible running mates, sending materials to several potential candidates to join her on the ticket. However, the popular Democratic governor of a reliably red state was not among them.

The Harris campaign sent vetting materials to North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper, Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz and Sen. Mark Kelly, D-Ariz., according to a report from the Wall Street Journal.

Notably absent from the list was Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear, who many have speculated could be a frontrunner for the job. Beshear has also been one of the few in the group to express interest in potentially filling the role, telling CNN on Monday he would join the ticket if it would help further the interest of the people of Kentucky.

"The only reason I’d ever consider something else is if I felt that I could help my people in Kentucky more in a different role or that there was a chance to move past the partisanship, the constant fighting," Beshear said.

However, Beshear also acknowledged that he had not received any vetting materials when asked by CNN, telling the outlet that he has "not been personally asked to submit information at this point."

Meanwhile, other potential running mates have dodged questions about their openness to joining the ticket. Cooper, Shapiro, Pritzker and Kelly have all offered Harris their endorsement but stopped short of expressing interest in becoming the next vice president.

"I couldn’t be more confident that Vice President @KamalaHarrisis the right person to defeat Donald Trump and lead our country into the future," Kelly said in a post on X. "She has my support for the nomination, and Gabby and I will do everything we can to elect her President of the United States."

"I love being the governor of the state of Illinois, and I’ve been out on the campaign trail fighting hard for Democrats to win," Pritzker told MSNBC when asked about his interest.

In an interview with NBC News, Shapiro argued that the focus should be on defeating former President Trump.

"Our conversation was all about how we beat Donald Trump and protect our freedoms here in this commonwealth," Shapiro told the outlet when asked if his conversations with Harris discussed the possibility of him joining the ticket.

Whitmer, meanwhile, issued the most forceful denial of interest in joining the ticket, taking to social media to declare that she is "not planning to go anywhere."

"I'm not leaving Michigan," she said on X. "I'm proud to be the governor of Michigan. I have been consistent. I know everyone is always suspicious and asking this question over and over again - I know you're doing your job - I'm not going anywhere."

Walz, on the other hand, was another one of the few to express openness to the idea.

"She mentioned she would need my help. And I said she has it in any way that she sees fit," Walz said in an interview with Minnesota Now. "If that’s the direction she goes, I guess that’s fine."

The Harris campaign did not immediately respond to a Fox News Digital request for comment.

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,856
    Josh Shapiro
    I think Shapiro is the best strategic choice. Will help bring in PA. One of the 2 states she needs to win. Whitmer would be better, but IDK how undecided people would take an all female ticket (yeah, we know it’s all bullshit, but we are talking about people who are still unsure about DT at this point). 

I’d love to see Mayor Pete because he’s probably the best political mouthpiece for media working today. 

Mark Kelly does nothing for me and I don’t think it will for most of America. People love an astronaut, but it’s not gonna bring in people to the coalition. 
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    I saw a pic of Mark Kelly today and he didm’t look anything like I remember.  He’s lost a significant amount of weight. 
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory Posts: 6,324
    Roy Cooper
    I'm hearing debate over whether to choose someone who "balances the ticket" by bringing in a key state or someone who excels at messaging. Pete's the best at messaging, hands-down. Shapiro also is very good at that. I heard/saw Beshear and Cooper on "Morning Joe" yesterday, and Cooper is much better at it than Beshear is.
    I mention this because Mark Kelly has a great resume (everyone thinks astronauts are cool), but I hear he's not a great speaker.
    I think Dems have a ton of great options.
    I think we are on the exact same page here. Shapiro, Kelly and Cooper might bring their states, but also could cause a leading Democratic presence in their respective states. Beshear seems to not be getting considered. Pritzker could be a candidate that would easily be replaced with another Democrat in IL. And, like you, I think Pete is just a phenomenal speaker. And his spot would easily be filled with a person of Kamalas choosing. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,786
    I'd say Kelly or Beshear, but I'm not decided between them, so put my vote on hold, please.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    I don’t know if what I heard is true but her first call was to Shapiro and supposedly they’ve been friends for 20 years so it could have meant nothing. 
    Josh Shapiro

Lake is currently running against Ruben Gallego. Kelly would be replace by someone chosen by the Dem governor, Katie Hobbs, but I think his term is up in 2026.

Whitmer has said she wants to stay in Michigan.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,744
    Yeah KY is a lost cause  
    Maybe you're not using enough of it.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Josh Shapiro
    Tim Walz was just on MSNBC. I don't know much of anything about him, but he brought good pitbull energy and dad humor.
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    Tim Walz was just on MSNBC. I don't know much of anything about him, but he brought good pitbull energy and dad humor.

Walz is a good governor here in MN and would make a good VP too.  We'd miss him, but another Dem guv would almost certainly be elected here. 
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    CM189191 said:

Walz is a good governor here in MN and would make a good VP too.  We'd miss him, but another Dem guv would almost certainly be elected here. 
    I think Walz would chew JV Dunce up and spit him out too. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,194
    julian castro?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Josh Shapiro
    I get strong a-hole vibes from him, frankly.
    Poncier said:
    Yeah KY is a lost cause  

:rofl:  funniest post of the week!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,194
    I get strong a-hole vibes from him, frankly.

was thinking,  regaining at least some of the latino vote.

heard a wishlist this morning. doubt it happens but am intrigued at the thought.
    Adm McRaven USN Ret

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Josh Shapiro
    I agree that bringing back the latino vote is important, but my husband and I both get strong off-putting vibes from the Castros.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,299
    Poncier said:
    Yeah KY is a lost cause  
    😂😂
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    I agree that bringing back the latino vote is important, but my husband and I both get strong off-putting vibes from the Castros.
    Yeah I’m not feeling them as contenders to be on a presidential ticket! I’m leaning more towards Shapiro, KH should be able to pull in some minority votes for her except Cubans they are all MAGA 
    Yeah I’m not feeling them as contenders to be on a presidential ticket! I’m leaning more towards Shapiro, KH should be able to pull in some minority votes for her except Cubans they are all MAGA 

The mother of my godchildren is Cuban and she is the furthest thing from MAGA, if that helps!

brianlux said:

The mother of my godchildren is Cuban and she is the furthest thing from MAGA, if that helps!
    Down in Miami? Cause I was there recently with my dad on a visit and the Cuban families he was friends from years ago are Trump supporters 
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,478
    Mark Kelly
    Heard some union guys saying Shapiro has been getting vetted for 2 1/2 months already.