Kamala Harris VEEP Pick

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,198
    copied from the bill...

my read is the bathrooms regularly used by the students who use said products....

Section 1. new text begin [121A.212] ACCESS TO MENSTRUAL PRODUCTS.
    new text end

new text begin A school district or charter school must provide students with access to menstrual products
    at no charge. The products must be available to all menstruating students in restrooms
    regularly used by students in grades 4 to 12 according to a plan developed by the school
    district. For purposes of this section, "menstrual products" means pads, tampons, or other
    similar products used in connection with the menstrual cycle.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,478
    Mark Kelly
    "Endless weird attacks on every and any Democrat"

"Who you voting for?"

"Meh, I may not bother"

Ok, that's weird. I'm in Pennsylvania, and I'm definitely voting. I work at the polls anyway.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,713
    Josh Shapiro
    My guess is that there were few of these tampon things in boys restrooms/locker rooms and the right is just lighting themselves on fire over nothing as per usual.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,478
    Mark Kelly
    Kamala Harris takes questions from media.

1st question: why aren't you taking questions from the media?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,766
    Well I guess the uproar over tampons are the new kitty litter boxes in school bathrooms. Every time I think this country can't get any dumber, I find out, yes it can. 
    Josh Shapiro
    Well I guess the uproar over tampons are the new kitty litter boxes in school bathrooms. Every time I think this country can't get any dumber, I find out, yes it can. 
    holy shit I forgot about that one...yeah they needed litter boxes for the furries...what a fucked up movement

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,198
    holy shit I forgot about that one...yeah they needed litter boxes for the furries...what a fucked up movement
    heard something the other day/last week?

5 gal buckets of litter. to be used for when theres a school shooting lockdown....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,281
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    teskeinc said:
    Yeah the "Tampon Tim" thing is interesting. The magats are spinning it as him requiring tampons be placed in boys restrooms in schools for the trans people. Totally untrue...the bill required no such thing. It required feminine products be made available to whomever needed them in schools.

Someone from MN had mentioned that some schools DID place those items in certain boys restrooms/locker rooms only because sometimes opposing teams (female) would use those locker rooms, etc., when visiting the school to play the local team.

A good example of how morons just jump to conclusions without exploring the topic.
    Of all the people here, you love the idea of tampons in boys restrooms. Be honest with yourselves. On your Christmas list for left radicals, you’re asking Santa for tampons 1st or 2nd.
    of course you would not know this, but the reason SOME, not ALL of the boys restrooms had tampon machines is because some of those restrooms were used as locker/changing rooms for female teams from other schools to use during sporting events, particularly tournaments when there were many women's teams there. but your news sources would never tell you that.
    Where are you getting that information?
    That doesn’t make sense because in all the schools I’ve worked at I’ve never heard of boys lockerooms being opened to female students for games. I’m not saying it never happens, but it’s got to be pretty rare and a huge liability. Male students and faculty may not be aware and walk in. It’s just not something most schools I think would do.
    So I tried looking it up. I couldn’t find one mention of it. Instead, I keep seeing language like this in nearly every article:
    ”The law’s text also says the products must be available to “all menstruating students in restrooms regularly used by students in grades 4 to 12, according to a plan developed by the school district.” That would include both boys, girls and gender-neutral bathrooms.”
    https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/verify/government-verify/tim-walz-minnesota-public-schools-bathrooms-tampons-period-products-law-tampontim-fact-check/536-0892fdf5-6030-41ee-9168-1e9141aa7a86#

You find find a link to the bill in the article. No mention of sports.
    It was clearly aimed at transgender students, not athletes in a tournament, and all bathrooms, not some, and as early as 4th grade.
    one of 28 states to require it

Sure, and no one denies that.
    Although I don’t believe all 28 require them in boys bathrooms, just that they are available. Which makes much more sense.
    The criticism of this bill is that the law specifies must be available in all restrooms regularly used by students.
    No one argues products being available at the counselors or nurses office. But loading them up in 4th grade boys bathrooms does seem unnecessary.
    And claiming it’s for girl athletes when the girls bathrooms are not big enough to host events seems to me like admitting it’s a dumb idea to just place them in all bathrooms when you rationalize it with something that isn’t accurate.
    No one wants to deny students hygiene products, trans or not. Making them available in all restrooms 4th and up though is a different story.
    do they have bathrooms by grade in your area? In my area 1st-5th grade all share the same hallways
    Some schools do. Some have hallways or wings dedicated to each grade level. If not, I would assume if 4th graders regularly use a restroom, that restroom has to be equipped with the products. So bathrooms for 1-5 grades would fall under that. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,642
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    teskeinc said:
    Yeah the "Tampon Tim" thing is interesting. The magats are spinning it as him requiring tampons be placed in boys restrooms in schools for the trans people. Totally untrue...the bill required no such thing. It required feminine products be made available to whomever needed them in schools.

Someone from MN had mentioned that some schools DID place those items in certain boys restrooms/locker rooms only because sometimes opposing teams (female) would use those locker rooms, etc., when visiting the school to play the local team.

A good example of how morons just jump to conclusions without exploring the topic.
    Of all the people here, you love the idea of tampons in boys restrooms. Be honest with yourselves. On your Christmas list for left radicals, you’re asking Santa for tampons 1st or 2nd.
    of course you would not know this, but the reason SOME, not ALL of the boys restrooms had tampon machines is because some of those restrooms were used as locker/changing rooms for female teams from other schools to use during sporting events, particularly tournaments when there were many women's teams there. but your news sources would never tell you that.
    That doesn’t make sense because in all the schools I’ve worked at I’ve never heard of boys lockerooms being opened to female students for games. I’m not saying it never happens, but it’s got to be pretty rare and a huge liability. Male students and faculty may not be aware and walk in. It’s just not something most schools I think would do.
    So I tried looking it up. I couldn’t find one mention of it. Instead, I keep seeing language like this in nearly every article:
    ”The law’s text also says the products must be available to “all menstruating students in restrooms regularly used by students in grades 4 to 12, according to a plan developed by the school district.” That would include both boys, girls and gender-neutral bathrooms.”
    https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/verify/government-verify/tim-walz-minnesota-public-schools-bathrooms-tampons-period-products-law-tampontim-fact-check/536-0892fdf5-6030-41ee-9168-1e9141aa7a86#

It was clearly aimed at transgender students, not athletes in a tournament, and all bathrooms, not some, and as early as 4th grade.

Although I don’t believe all 28 require them in boys bathrooms, just that they are available. Which makes much more sense.
    The criticism of this bill is that the law specifies must be available in all restrooms regularly used by students.
    No one argues products being available at the counselors or nurses office. But loading them up in 4th grade boys bathrooms does seem unnecessary.
    And claiming it’s for girl athletes when the girls bathrooms are not big enough to host events seems to me like admitting it’s a dumb idea to just place them in all bathrooms when you rationalize it with something that isn’t accurate.
    No one wants to deny students hygiene products, trans or not. Making them available in all restrooms 4th and up though is a different story.
    do they have bathrooms by grade in your area? In my area 1st-5th grade all share the same hallways
    Some schools do. Some have hallways or wings dedicated to each grade level. If not, I would assume if 4th graders regularly use a restroom, that restroom has to be equipped with the products. So bathrooms for 1-5 grades would fall under that. 
    As a Minnesotan, I can tell you it was in all bathrooms (granted, I work at a college, but they were everywhere) and had nothing to do with sports. It's also another culture war issue that really has no significance. Nothing was being promoted, just supplied for those who might need it. I liken it to people getting pissed at supplying clean needles, drug test kits and condoms to the masses in the interest of public health. And honestly, I haven't seen feminine hygiene products in any men's bathroom for months. I'm not sure how much it's still being applied across the state. A lot of those resources are housed in other offices meant to assist students.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    mace1229 said:
    teskeinc said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tampon-tim-walz-minnesota-law-schools-bathrooms-period-poverty/

Here is the article I was referencing...I don't see mention of the use of a locker room by opposing teams so I must have seen that somewhere else but I have certainly experienced that with my own kids. Most middle schools aren't going to have opposing team locker rooms...they are going to share them.

Gov. Tim Walz made tampons free in Minnesota schools. Here's why it's drawing Trump's ire.

moneywatch

By Aimee Picchi

Edited By Alain Sherter

Updated on: August 8, 2024 / 7:59 AM EDT / CBS News

As governor of Minnesota, one of Tim Walz's accomplishments was signing a 2023 education law that included a mandate for schools to provide free menstrual supplies to students in grades 4 through 12. 

That mandate is drawing fresh attention as the Trump campaign seeks to criticize Walz for the law, claiming it requires school districts to supply tampons and pads to both female and male bathrooms due to transgender boys who may menstruate. On social media, the hashtag #TamponTim began trending on August 6, the day Walz was named as Vice President Kamala Harris' running mate for the Democratic presidential ticket.

"As a woman there is no greater threat to a woman's health than leaders ... who support putting tampons in men's bathrooms in public schools," Trump campaign spokeswoman Karoline Leavitt told Fox News on Tuesday.

In a statement emailed to CBS MoneyWatch, Leavitt claimed that Walz "has spent his governorship trying to reshape Minnesota in the image of the Golden State." She added, "Tampon Tim put tampons in boys' bathrooms, wants men to play in women's sports, and supports gender transitions for minors."

The Minnesota law, however, doesn't specify in which bathrooms the menstrual supplies must be located; instead, it requires school districts to develop plans to ensure all students who menstruate can access free tampons and pads, Lacey Gero, director of government relations at the advocacy group Alliance for Period Supplies, told CBS MoneyWatch. Her group advocates for free tampons and pads in schools, prisons and other institutions and eliminating the so-called tampon tax.

I just don't see teams from opposing schools as a valid reason. I played sports in high school and never once had to use a girls restroom or locker room, or have seen that be the case since.
    When there's a volleyball tournament going on with a bunch of teams, there's still soccer practice happening, so they can't just have the guest teams use the other locker room. 
    And even if that were the case, seems like a poor justification for the once a year a visiting team needs it. Just require coaches or the AT to carry them in a first aide bag when they travel instead of stocking all bathrooms if they think its a problem.

The wording doesn't specify female bathrooms only, I interpret it to mean all bathrooms. And I haven't read an article that suggests it would apply to female bathrooms only.
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    teskeinc said:

tell me, teach. what should transboys do if/when gender neutral bathroom is in use or empty of said products?
    further, would encourage searching for the text of the bill and rely on that.

btw, mn dem house/senate crafted this. he signed.

What did they do in the hundreds of years before this law, young grasshopper?
    Grab one from a female bathroom, the nurse, the counseling office, etc. It's not an either/or boys bathroom or bleed everywhere type of situation. 

The text of the bill is very short:

Section 1. 

[121A.212] ACCESS TO MENSTRUAL PRODUCTS.

A school district or charter school must provide students with access to menstrual products 
    at no charge. The products must be available to all menstruating students in restrooms 
    regularly used by students in grades 4 to 12 according to a plan developed by the school 
    district. For purposes of this section, "menstrual products" means pads, tampons, or other 

Josh Shapiro
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    teskeinc said:

As a Minnesotan, I can tell you it was in all bathrooms (granted, I work at a college, but they were everywhere) and had nothing to do with sports. It's also another culture war issue that really has no significance. Nothing was being promoted, just supplied for those who might need it. I liken it to people getting pissed at supplying clean needles, drug test kits and condoms to the masses in the interest of public health. And honestly, I haven't seen feminine hygiene products in any men's bathroom for months. I'm not sure how much it's still being applied across the state. A lot of those resources are housed in other offices meant to assist students.
    Is the article that I posted incorrect then? It says that MN law does NOT specify which bathrooms they should be located in.

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,709
    Josh Shapiro
    teskeinc said:
    If I vote, I’ll vote Trump. No one is worth the drive this election. 
    Gosh...do you think he will still be alive by the end of his term? Would you really want JD Vance running the country?
    www.myspace.com
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,856
    edited August 9
    Josh Shapiro
    teskeinc said:
    teskeinc said:
    These people are angry about the most random things. 

It’s like we are angry about people lacking health insurance, kids going hungry and our planet heating beyond human survival limits. And they’re pissed about… tampons. 
    It’s comical. No one is pissed. Tampon Tim is a great name tho. I can’t wait until Trump uses it.

And you never know if someone gets a bloody nose. Those tampons come in handy as long as they’re unscented.
    For independent voters who barely follow politics? They are going to vote for the thug insulting a man by insulting women?

they’d think the maga man was weird and wouldn’t vote for him.

do you normally put down people in real life, at your job, out shopping, family functions, by insulting with derogatory comparisons to menstrual products? How’s that working out?

that is just plain weird man.
    Some people just don’t like inflation, high interest rates, high gas prices open borders, lack of a foreign policy. You need a President to be your buddy, I don’t. Trump sucks, I don’t like him. I think the country was better off than with Biden.

Trumps economic plan won’t fix this, it will make it worse. Chinese tariffs, while tough talk, will ultimately be passed on to the consumer because American companies will just pay more for Chinese goods. This will increase inflation, and the need to keep interest rates highs to combat inflation will remain. They may lower middle class taxes a bit, but the offset with higher prices will be a wash and people won’t feel any real relief. 

It’s a bad economic plan and if you want to see lower inflation and a reduction in interest rates you’ll want to stay the course with Harris maintaining the Biden economic plan. If you vote for a trump you’d be voting against your interests. Also the president doesn’t control gas prices. We’re drilling for more oil and gas than ever before, we basically energy independent. It’s the markets and producers gouging. 

What do you even mean “lack of foreign policy”? This isn’t even possible. 

But I’m beginning to suspect going with Trump is not really about the economics really. 

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    edited August 9
    Josh Shapiro
    Yeah if you think the president controls shit like that you need to educate yourself quite a bit...as if any president would rule over inflation, high gas prices, etc. if they had a choice.

Ridiculous...it's like you forget that tRump lost the election because he couldn't snap his fingers and fix things that were fucked up
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

Josh Shapiro
    If I’ve learned anything over the past 8 years, the voters who say they don’t like Trump and then add …but” actually really like Trump. 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,463
    Josh Shapiro
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    teskeinc said:

tell me, teach. what should transboys do if/when gender neutral bathroom is in use or empty of said products?

Grab one from a female bathroom, the nurse, the counseling office, etc. It's not an either/or boys bathroom or bleed everywhere type of situation. 

Section 1. 

A school district or charter school must provide students with access to menstrual products 

Saw a great meme a few weeks ago.  Dad driving his daughter and says he is sick of these gender neutral bathrooms and the girls look at him and says 'like the one at home?.'    so perfect.  who gives a shift if their tampons in a boys room.

and yes in high school there were times where it was possible we had to use the girls locker room in some road games.
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,108
    Gretchen Whitmer
    Yeah if you think the president controls shit like that you need to educate yourself quite a bit...as if any president would rule over inflation, high gas prices, etc. if they had a choice.

Ridiculous...it's like you forget that tRump lost the election because he couldn't snap his fingers and fix things that were fucked up
    What they think and the talking points they share are two different things. These are just trolls wasting their lives being smug on a forum where no one respects their opinions because they're spewing disingenuous nonsense.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    Josh Shapiro
    pjhawks said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    teskeinc said:

Section 1. 

Saw a great meme a few weeks ago.  Dad driving his daughter and says he is sick of these gender neutral bathrooms and the girls look at him and says 'like the one at home?.'    so perfect.  who gives a shift if their tampons in a boys room.

and yes in high school there were times where it was possible we had to use the girls locker room in some road games.
    exactly...and yes we had to do that several times...they just taped signs over the "Ladies locker room" with our team on it. Multiple times. And as I type this I remember doing that when I was in junior high with the basketball team travelling to other schools. That would have been in 1980

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,694
    Pete Buttigieg
    benjs said:

What they think and the talking points they share are two different things. These are just trolls wasting their lives being smug on a forum where no one respects their opinions because they're spewing disingenuous nonsense.
    As per usual Benjs hits the nail on it's  head.

They have no legitimate argument so they parrot conspiracy theories, dogwhistles, and lies created by the writers at murdoch inc to get more clicks and views.
    Josh Shapiro
    That's why I'm so curious what they think about tRump's helicopter lie.

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,299
    teskeinc said:
    If I vote, I’ll vote Trump. No one is worth the drive this election. 
    Nice! You vote for him you stand for everything he stands for at least man up and state that! Yes I stand with him. 
    Don't say that, cause that would mean if I voted for Kamala I stand for everything she stands for...and I don't.
    Ok that’s you but I’d rather stand with her than with him there’s not one policy from him that I can say I’d agree with none, if GOP would put a good decent candidate I’d have no problem voting for them! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,709
    Josh Shapiro
    teskeinc said:
    teskeinc said:
    These people are angry about the most random things. 

It’s like we are angry about people lacking health insurance, kids going hungry and our planet heating beyond human survival limits. And they’re pissed about… tampons. 
    It’s comical. No one is pissed. Tampon Tim is a great name tho. I can’t wait until Trump uses it.

And you never know if someone gets a bloody nose. Those tampons come in handy as long as they’re unscented.
    For independent voters who barely follow politics? They are going to vote for the thug insulting a man by insulting women?

they’d think the maga man was weird and wouldn’t vote for him.

do you normally put down people in real life, at your job, out shopping, family functions, by insulting with derogatory comparisons to menstrual products? How’s that working out?

that is just plain weird man.
    Some people just don’t like inflation, high interest rates, high gas prices open borders, lack of a foreign policy. You need a President to be your buddy, I don’t. Trump sucks, I don’t like him. I think the country was better off than with Biden.

Trumps economic plan won’t fix this, it will make it worse. Chinese tariffs, while tough talk, will ultimately be passed on to the consumer because American companies will just pay more for Chinese goods. This will increase inflation, and the need to keep interest rates highs to combat inflation will remain. They may lower middle class taxes a bit, but the offset with higher prices will be a wash and people won’t feel any real relief. 

It’s a bad economic plan and if you want to see lower inflation and a reduction in interest rates you’ll want to stay the course with Harris maintaining the Biden economic plan. If you vote for a trump you’d be voting against your interests. Also the president doesn’t control gas prices. We’re drilling for more oil and gas than ever before, we basically energy independent. It’s the markets and producers gouging. 

What do you even mean “lack of foreign policy”? This isn’t even possible. 

But I’m beginning to suspect going with Trump is not really about the economics really. 

If you like inflation, vote Trump

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/trump-win-economists-see-revived-inflation-more-wary-fed-2024-07-25/

In a Trump win, economists see revived inflation and a more wary Fed

July 25, 20248:49 AM EDTUpdated 15 days ago

An independent barber waits for customers on his van in a local street in New York, U.S., December 25, 2023. REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz Purchase Licensing Rights, opens new tab
    NEW YORK, July 25 (Reuters) - The Federal Reserve’s battle to get inflation under control likely faces fresh challenges should Donald Trump regain the White House, a dynamic that could put the U.S. central bank back in the former Republican president's crosshairs.
    A wide range of economists see Trump's tariff agenda, coupled with aims to deport millions of undocumented workers and the likelihood of expanded deficits, reigniting price pressures that are now easing and likely driving the Fed to react with more restrictive monetary policy than is now penciled in.
    Advertisement · Scroll to continue
    Forecasters predict Trump's plan to impose 10%-across-the-board tariffs on imported goods - and even higher rates on Chinese products - would generate a one-time surge in inflation, while deportations would drive up wages for remaining workers, adding to the pressure.
    An Oxford Economics model which looks at the likely policy stances of the candidates, for instance, predicts that under a second Trump administration an inflation measure excluding food and energy prices tracked closely by the Fed would peak between 0.3 and 0.6 percentage point above what would be expected under current appropriations law and policy.
    Advertisement · Scroll to continue
    Report this ad
    That compares with potential excess inflation of between 0.1 and 0.2 percentage point under a Democratic administration led by Vice President Kamala Harris, the presumptive nominee now that President Joe Biden has dropped out of the race. Oxford and others see Harris largely continuing Biden's economic policies.

'LEAGUES AWAY'

Resurgent inflation would be a setback for the Fed, which after aggressive rate rises is on the verge of quelling generation-high inflation, now retreating toward the central bank’s 2% target. Markets now project a September rate cut, with more to follow.
    The video player is currently playing an ad.
    00:15Market Insight: 50 bps Fed cut 'could be too aggressive'
    “The Trump economic program is inherently inflationary,” said Mark Sobel, U.S. chairman at the Official Monetary and Financial Institutions Forum and a veteran of the U.S. Treasury Department under both Democratic and Republican presidents. “Much higher tariffs, an expansionary fiscal policy and mass deportation of immigrants: All these factors would combine together to raise inflation and interest rates higher than they otherwise would be.”
    Diane Swonk, chief economist with KPMG U.S., said in a note Trump's tariff increases coupled with a “sharp” curb on foreign workers means “a resurgence" in inflation which would likely force the Fed to hold rates at current levels for “much longer.”
    The trade approach from Biden and Harris "remains leagues away from what Trump has been proposing regarding tariff policy," said Oscar Munoz, chief U.S. macro strategist at TD Securities. Under the anticipated "surgical" trade actions pursued by a Harris administration, he said, "we don't anticipate those policies to represent a meaningful risk for our inflation/growth forecasts."
    Evercore ISI analysts believe the Fed will respond more slowly than markets to a new outlook should Trump win. But a Trump victory could see policymakers dial back some of the cuts now expected for next year, potentially even moving to pencil in a late 2025 rate hike, they said.
    Asked how Trump's policy agenda would buck economists' expectations for higher inflation, Trump campaign National Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said: "The American people don't need economists to tell them which president put more money in their pockets."
    "When President Trump is back in the White House, he will reimplement his pro-growth, pro-energy, pro-jobs agenda to bring down the cost of living and uplift all Americans."

'REACTING TO A CHANGED FORECAST'

How the Fed would factor in implications of a Trump victory is unclear, but at least one former U.S. central banker believes the Fed needs to start taking it into account - even in any consideration of a near-term rate cut.
    “If a Trump victory looks likely, the Fed will need to consider whether cutting based on current data makes sense if likely fiscal actions would cause them to need to reverse policy to counter the inflationary shocks if his publicly announced policies go through,” former Boston Fed leader Eric Rosengren wrote on social media site X this month. “That is not politics, it is reacting to a changed forecast.”
    But Richmond Fed President Thomas Barkin cautioned against that.
    “I think it'd be very hard to make policy today” against expectations of future government actions, he told reporters last week.
    Meanwhile, Fed Chair Jerome Powell earlier this month declined to comment before Congress on the implications of any future policy changes like expanded tariffs.

SLOW BURN

Jason Furman, former chair of the Council of Economic Advisers in the Obama administration and now an economics professor at Harvard University, said the shift in inflation would be a bit of a slow burn. “You're not talking about 5, 6% inflation,” he said, but inflation would be higher than it otherwise would be, and monetary policy would also be tighter.
    Just how a victorious Trump would respond to a Fed that curtails or even reverses any rate cuts is another wildcard. Trump during his term famously clashed with Powell, whom he appointed as Fed chief, but recently told Bloomberg he would not try to oust Powell before his term as chair expires in 2026.
    Barry Eichengreen, professor of economics and political science at the University of California, Berkeley, said at an event in Peru on Friday it’s possible Trump might work to remake the Fed if it stood against the side effects of his policy choices.
    “Come May 2026 President Trump would have a more straightforward option of nominating a more compliant Fed chair” who would not act to offset rising inflation pressures, in turn worsening them, Eichengreen said.
    That said, investors might dramatically increase the costs of heavy-handing the Fed.
    Scott Lincicome, a trade policy expert at the Cato Institute, said “you probably at the very least would see some market response to even the attempts to weaken Fed independence,” and that might prompt elected officials to reconsider such actions.

Get a look at the day ahead in U.S. and global markets with the Morning Bid U.S. newsletter. Sign up here.

www.myspace.com
    edited August 9
    Josh Shapiro
    Just think about how easy this could have been for tRump if he could only act normal. If he would have selected Burgum instead of Vance he would be running on a "business" ticket and if he could promote normal policies instead of just being a horses ass he wouldn't be where he is now.

The same reason why he lost four years ago. He fucked up the covid response and couldn't act like a normal republican. Instead he's telling fake stories about crashing helicopters and sharks.

He is incapable and unfit.

Josh Shapiro
    The Teskiniec post highlights everything that’s wrong with the political discourse in the US right now (probably the world too). Everybody has an opinion about feminine hygiene products in boys bathrooms, whether they care or if it affects them or not. Save the people it actually affects, it’s not a real issue. But economic policy IS a real issue that affects all of us at almost every level. But it’s complex to talk about and it’s not fun or visceral unlike getting pissed about free tampons. It’s easier to have an opinion about tampons and politicians and the cable media 2ants us to talk about that because it gets eyeballs and prevents us from talking bout not sexy issues like monetary policy. 

This leads to the culture shit and uninformed opinions and allows con artists like Trump or MAGA or Hannity or whoever to manipulate people s opinions. 
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,987
    Josh Shapiro
    That's why I'm so curious what they think about tRump's helicopter lie.

A lie? It was Jerry Brown, not Willie Brown, the helicopter wasn't going down, and there was no discussion of Kamala Harris, but other than that it was a completely true story!
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,987
    Josh Shapiro
    Just think about how easy this could have been for tRump if he could only act normal. If he would have selected Burgum instead of Vance he would be running on a "business" ticket and if he could promote normal policies instead of just being a horses ass he wouldn't be where he is now.

The same reason why he lost four years ago. He fucked up the covid response and couldn't act like a normal republican. Instead he's telling fake stories about crashing helicopters and sharks.

He is incapable and unfit.

Burgum would have given the Wall Street types a fig leaf to hide behind.
    Covid: I still say that if he had trumpeted the vaccines' success, urged everyone to get vaccinated, and taken full credit for the vaccines' development, he would have been re-elected. I wouldn't have been happy about that, at all, but positing himself as the nation's hero who saved the people from Covid probably would have worked.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • The Teskiniec post highlights everything that’s wrong with the political discourse in the US right now (probably the world too). Everybody has an opinion about feminine hygiene products in boys bathrooms, whether they care or if it affects them or not. Save the people it actually affects, it’s not a real issue. But economic policy IS a real issue that affects all of us at almost every level. But it’s complex to talk about and it’s not fun or visceral unlike getting pissed about free tampons. It’s easier to have an opinion about tampons and politicians and the cable media 2ants us to talk about that because it gets eyeballs and prevents us from talking bout not sexy issues like monetary policy. 

This leads to the culture shit and uninformed opinions and allows con artists like Trump or MAGA or Hannity or whoever to manipulate people s opinions. 
    my tattoo guy was talking about tampons yesterday too. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

edited August 9
    Josh Shapiro
    The one thing I will give Trump credit on is Operation Warp Speed. With the rapid testing of mRNA vaccines and their subsequent success, we basically had the largest test trial of a vaccine and advanced healthcare forward a decade. Look at all the mRNa clinical research that’s going on. That’s a big success. But he won’t promote it because MAGAs are weird about vaccines and Covid times. Probably the only significant positive development of his presidency 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,766
    The one thing I will give Trump credit on is Operation Warp Speed. With the rapid testing of mRNA vaccines and their subsequent success, we basically had the largest test trial of a vaccine and advanced healthcare a decade. Look at all the mRNa clinical research that’s going on. That’s. A big success. But he won’t promote it because MAGAs are weird about vaccines and Covid times. 
    I think he started to, but then the "I will do my own research" crowd started bashing the vaccine and he backed off.