Kamala Harris VEEP Pick

Comments

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,478
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,786
    brianlux said:
    The Teskiniec post highlights everything that’s wrong with the political discourse in the US right now (probably the world too). Everybody has an opinion about feminine hygiene products in boys bathrooms, whether they care or if it affects them or not. Save the people it actually affects, it’s not a real issue. But economic policy IS a real issue that affects all of us at almost every level. But it’s complex to talk about and it’s not fun or visceral unlike getting pissed about free tampons. It’s easier to have an opinion about tampons and politicians and the cable media 2ants us to talk about that because it gets eyeballs and prevents us from talking bout not sexy issues like monetary policy. 

This leads to the culture shit and uninformed opinions and allows con artists like Trump or MAGA or Hannity or whoever to manipulate people s opinions. 
    my tattoo guy was talking about tampons yesterday too. 

You know, a big part of why I've always considered myself a small-c conservative probably is due to my Midwestern upbringing. Tim Walz's "Mind your own damn business" is pretty deeply ingrained into who I am, and in the before times I bristled at Democrats' "nanny state" policies, and I still get my back up when anyone tries to meddle in my life and how I live it.

As a member of the minority of people posting here who actually (still, G-d help me) menstruate, I have some thoughts:

1) Women, generally, carry feminine hygiene products with them wherever they go, "just in case." That "just in case" could mean that another woman finds herself caught unprepared -- teen and pre-teen girls in particular might not have regular cycles or might not have internalized the need to carry products with them -- or they might have run out, etc.

2) In case your wives/ girlfriends haven't told you this, our cycles get pretty random at different points in our lives, and our own needs might outstrip what we have with us.

2a) Also, I think most of us live in fear of wearing light-colored clothing at certain times. And having visible bloodstains on our clothes is mortifying -- that's pretty obvious, right?

3) The Daily Show had a pretty good take on "tampons in the boys' bathrooms" the other night: If you have any 10-12 year-old boys in your life, or if you remember being one, you know that what's most likely to happen is: someone will try to rip the tampon dispenser off the wall and flush it down the toilet, or one of the weirder kids will stuff two tampons up his nose and pretend to be a walrus. Seriously -- I have two boys, and that sounds about right to me. They're not going to "turn trans" or anything else absurd because they came within ten feet of a tampon. When I was in seventh grade, one of the more scatter-brained girls in my class left her bag somewhere; the boys got into it and pilfered her supply of panty liners. A few hours later, colorfully decorated panty liners were stuck to walls, doorways, and beams all over school. Somehow, we all survived the trauma.

3a) I know damn well that my son keeps feminine hygiene products in his apartment for his girlfriend. Writer and activist Charlotte Clymer, who is a transwoman, carries tampons even though she doesn't have periods (no uterus = no periods). Why? Because sometimes she finds herself in a poorly stocked women's bathroom and another woman is in need of emergency supplies. 

4) Tampons, pads, etc. are expensive! And children are starting puberty earlier than they did back in the dark ages, when we were young. If girls are getting their periods at age nine or ten, then elementary schools need to be prepared for that. And in this situation, tampons/ pads, like free lunches and breakfasts, are helping poor children who otherwise wouldn't be able to go to school or to function well in school; it's kind of disgusting that anyone would get worked up about that. 

In short, if Republicans would get out of my -- and everyone else's -- vagina, I sure would appreciate it.
    I think the really weird part of it is how intimidated men are about menstrual periods and tampons/pads. Grown men will act like backwards preteens at the thought of anything related to it. I have been married 32 years and back when we first got married, my wife asked me to pick up tampons and pads from the Naval base store I was making a shopping run at. There were multiple guys who gave me strange looks or made comments about me buying them, it was unreal. We raised 2 daughters to adulthood and I couldn't even keep track of the amount  times I bought those products for my wife and daughters. It was not unusual to get weird looks by guys. If they were too embarrassed to buy them for the females in their lives, that was their hang up not mine. 
    That is unreal!  Seriously, what is wrong withe these uptight guys?  I have been married three times (third time the charm!) and have previously purchased tampons and pads for all three of those wonderful women and had no issue with doing that whatsoever.  Why would any man have a problem with that?  I've never seen any sign on the isle that said "Women Only"  or, "Warning, if you are a male and purchase feminine hygiene products you will either be subjected to riduclue and interogation, or declared to be gay."  Is this what goes through the mind of these weak, moronic, or otherwise socially maladjusted men? 

I don't know, but on occasion I would answer them that I was experiencing heavier than normal flow that month, and it usually shut them up.  

I guess some guy just can't handle normal body functions.  :shrug:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,198
    The Teskiniec post highlights everything that’s wrong with the political discourse in the US right now (probably the world too). Everybody has an opinion about feminine hygiene products in boys bathrooms, whether they care or if it affects them or not. Save the people it actually affects, it’s not a real issue. But economic policy IS a real issue that affects all of us at almost every level. But it’s complex to talk about and it’s not fun or visceral unlike getting pissed about free tampons. It’s easier to have an opinion about tampons and politicians and the cable media 2ants us to talk about that because it gets eyeballs and prevents us from talking bout not sexy issues like monetary policy. 

This leads to the culture shit and uninformed opinions and allows con artists like Trump or MAGA or Hannity or whoever to manipulate people s opinions. 

forgetting as well , that under a certain admin, fem hygeine products were made available for free to the consumer in our federal prisons.......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,747
    But if we elect another democrat, we're headed into another World War...another tidbit from the playbook of Trump. 
    Don't forget another depression just like 1929.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,214
    That's why I'm so curious what they think about tRump's helicopter lie.

A lie? It was Jerry Brown, not Willie Brown, the helicopter wasn't going down, and there was no discussion of Kamala Harris, but other than that it was a completely true story!
    well, it is true that it IS a story though

lol
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,214
    The one thing I will give Trump credit on is Operation Warp Speed. With the rapid testing of mRNA vaccines and their subsequent success, we basically had the largest test trial of a vaccine and advanced healthcare forward a decade. Look at all the mRNa clinical research that’s going on. That’s a big success. But he won’t promote it because MAGAs are weird about vaccines and Covid times. Probably the only significant positive development of his presidency 
    he is running away from the only thing many of us would give him credit for because its not popular with his base.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,547
    edited August 11
    Run
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,360
    Josh Shapiro
    mace1229 said:

How many people does putting tampons in bathrooms actually help though? We're talking about females who identify/transitioned into males, who aren't taking any medication that would prevent their period, and who rely on school for period products. I have no idea, but that's got to be a really low number, like 0.1% of the population who fits all that?
    So instead of telling that maybe 1 student who would actually use the tampons in the boys bathroom to go to the counseling office or nurse instead, the answer is to put tampons everywhere.
    Just seems like a huge waste of money to install and maintain dispensers when no one probably even needs it anyway. Especially starting in the 4th grade. If they were around when I was in high school I'm sure the game would be how many tampons can you tie to your friends backpack without them noticing. And they'd probably run out faster in the boys room than the girls. Just seems like a waste of money and a wrong area of focus when there's so many other things in education that deserve attention and when alternate solutions are available. 
    asking people to sacrifice their privacy isn't the answer either. If it helps even one kid feel "normal", then I'm all for it. 
    I hear you, but I’m not there. I really don’t care a whole lot about this issue, but I’d like to understand the budget/cost associated with it. Cause helping 1 kid sounds nice, but if it’s 1 kid the cost far outweighs the benefit. This is kinda my biggest issue with lots of people in the government, budgeting and being selective. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • teskeincteskeinc Posts: 1,668
    mace1229 said:

How many people does putting tampons in bathrooms actually help though? We're talking about females who identify/transitioned into males, who aren't taking any medication that would prevent their period, and who rely on school for period products. I have no idea, but that's got to be a really low number, like 0.1% of the population who fits all that?
    So instead of telling that maybe 1 student who would actually use the tampons in the boys bathroom to go to the counseling office or nurse instead, the answer is to put tampons everywhere.
    Just seems like a huge waste of money to install and maintain dispensers when no one probably even needs it anyway. Especially starting in the 4th grade. If they were around when I was in high school I'm sure the game would be how many tampons can you tie to your friends backpack without them noticing. And they'd probably run out faster in the boys room than the girls. Just seems like a waste of money and a wrong area of focus when there's so many other things in education that deserve attention and when alternate solutions are available. 
    asking people to sacrifice their privacy isn't the answer either. If it helps even one kid feel "normal", then I'm all for it. 
    I hear you, but I’m not there. I really don’t care a whole lot about this issue, but I’d like to understand the budget/cost associated with it. Cause helping 1 kid sounds nice, but if it’s 1 kid the cost far outweighs the benefit. This is kinda my biggest issue with lots of people in the government, budgeting and being selective. 
    Knowing government, It’s costing $30/per tampon and at least $100 a dispenser
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,856
    Josh Shapiro
    Don’t be cynical
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,230
    This issue has been blown way the f out of proportion because of course it has, the trans issue is such a hot button topic and people are obsessed with it. 

“The Minnesota law, however, doesn't specify in which bathrooms the menstrual supplies must be located; instead, it requires school districts to develop plans to ensure all students who menstruate can access free tampons and pads, Lacey Gero, director of government relations at the advocacy group Alliance for Period Supplies, told CBS MoneyWatch. Her group advocates for free tampons and pads in schools, prisons and other institutions and eliminating the so-called tampon tax.

While it's unclear how many transgender children could benefit from free menstrual supplies, the impact is mostly felt by the millions of girls who experience so-called "period poverty," or the inability to afford pads and tampons. About one in four teenagers who menstruate struggle to pay for period products, according to a 2023 study from the advocacy group Period.”

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tampon-tim-walz-minnesota-law-schools-bathrooms-period-poverty/

We’re the richest country in the world… we can afford this (if we want to). 

Wouldn’t just be easier to say yeah Walz loves and supports everything transgendered and supports tampons in boys bathrooms. He’s a radical left Governor. It’s no secret. Just own it. 

Instead there’s 4 or 5 full pages of liberals trying to prove who is right or wrong about who put the tampons in boys bathrooms. Everyone knows that’s a platform of democrats.
    edited August 12
    Josh Shapiro
    I think it’s easier to say he’s a kind, empathetic, and inclusive person.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,230
    Personally I’m way more concerned w/ Vance’s position on abortion rights than I am w/ Walz’s position on making feminine hygiene products available to students who need them. 

I’m suspicious of anyone who isn’t, TBH. 
    edited August 12
    Josh Shapiro
    I think it’s your lazy generalizations and hyperbole that there’s “4/5 pages of liberals trying to prove” because nuance escapes you in your accusations and subsequent discussion. 
    Josh Shapiro

I think a big problem that @teskenetic has is he views liberals as some big amorphous blob, rather than a collection of different points of view. I get that its easier to view opposing viewpoints as a singularity, because then pushback and attacks can be generalized. But its not real discussion. 

Them posting in bad faith doesn't create real discussion either.

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,198

I think a big problem that @teskenetic has is he views liberals as some big amorphous blob, rather than a collection of different points of view. I get that its easier to view opposing viewpoints as a singularity, because then pushback and attacks can be generalized. But its not real discussion. 

Them posting in bad faith doesn't create real discussion either.

tagged the wrong member. @ teskeinc
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited August 12
    Josh Shapiro
    I don’t care
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,786
    I don’t care

You're in good company!

The I Don't Cares (2)

The I Dont Cares 2

Profile:

Duo of Paul Westerberg and Juliana Hatfield.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,281
    Someone is threatened by feminine hygiene product dispensers in boys rooms and co-ed, gender neutral bathrooms? Really? 
    I’m curious what people picture when they think gender neutral bathroom at school?
    Do most think of that Ally McBeal style where you’ve got multiple stalls, or a single use bathroom?
    I don’t think either exist in schools. I’d be mortified using a large one in mixed company. Those huge 1” gaps around the doors, making any sounds, etc. And I’ve never seen a single use one available to students for security reasons.
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Posts: 1,023
    Mark Kelly
    mace1229 said:
    Someone is threatened by feminine hygiene product dispensers in boys rooms and co-ed, gender neutral bathrooms? Really? 
    I’m curious what people picture when they think gender neutral bathroom at school?
    Do most think of that Ally McBeal style where you’ve got multiple stalls, or a single use bathroom?
    I don’t think either exist in schools. I’d be mortified using a large one in mixed company. Those huge 1” gaps around the doors, making any sounds, etc. And I’ve never seen a single use one available to students for security reasons.
    I'm very confident that in your lifetime you've been in the bathroom with transgender individuals many times and DID NOT KNOW IT. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,713
    Josh Shapiro
    mace1229 said:

but the machine is permanent...it doesn't dissolve after the "one kid" graduates or changes schools. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    Josh Shapiro
    mace1229 said:
    Every one I've seen has been single use...go in and lock the door. 

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Josh Shapiro
    Pitchfork Fest, until this year, had a gender neutral bathroom. It was one of those trailer type bathrooms. AC. 3 stalls, 3 urinals, 2 sinks. It was swanky. The line was always shorter. I used it in mixed company. It was fine. Normal. Felt no different than going into the men’s room. Im hoping for the women it felt similar. Everyone got in and got out. 
    edited August 12
    mace1229 said:
    I'm very confident that in your lifetime you've been in the bathroom with transgender individuals many times and DID NOT KNOW IT. 
    I am very confident in that too. DIdn't say that wasn't the case. But that isn't a gender neutral bathroom and wasn't my question.
    I think when some people hear "gender neutral" bathroom they picture Ally McBeal style, with a bunch of stalls. And that freaks people out, it would me too.
    But like Gern said, its actually just a single use bathroom, and no one cares about those, or cares if hygiene products are placed inside.
    I actually had this discussion with a pretty liberal female co-worker a while ago. She thought work places and schools should move towards those larger gender neutral ones and was surprised that as a male I would be horrified. She thought guys are less private and don't care. Once I explained that when I've been holding it in all day, I don't want to be worried about a female co-worker in the stall next to me experiencing that, she understood. Not to mentioned I rarely see a bathroom without  those giant 1" gaps along the door frame that makes it awkward.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,199
    edited August 12
    Tim Waltz
    All toilets at my local cinema are gender neutral, what is the big deal.

The same at my work.

Obviously here in Sweden, we usually don't have those stalls with thin doors and that PERVERSE high gap at the bottom that Americans just love and need.

Reference to show I know what I am talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbhoaSquzi0
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mace1229 said:

To me it just seems more like the coddling of our kids and not expecting anything from them. Some schools don't offer premium or catered lunches now because it would hurt the feelings of those on free school lunch and the Pizza Hut line doesn't qualify for free lunch, so now no kid gets Pizza Hut because it might hurt someone's feelings to watch someone else eat pizza. The amount that we hold the hands of kids is a little sad these days. We make regulations for an entire district so that 1 kid doesn't have to go to the nurse to ask for a tampon. It's part of life, I don't see it as doing any favors for kids when we coddle them so much. I had huge 1/2" thick glasses ever since I was in first grade. Should we have made every kid wear glasses so I didn't feel isolated? No, you learn to live with it and move on. It's not like anyone is saying deny necessities to any of these kids. Its the idea that there might maybe be one kid in the 11th grade who uses a tampon and prefers the male bathroom, so lets stock every bathroom from 4th grade on up with them instead of explaining to that one kid here's the situation, here's how we accommodate you and here's how you can help yourself in this situation. 
    Josh Shapiro
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    I am very confident in that too. DIdn't say that wasn't the case. But that isn't a gender neutral bathroom and wasn't my question.
    I think when some people hear "gender neutral" bathroom they picture Ally McBeal style, with a bunch of stalls. And that freaks people out, it would me too.
    But like Gern said, its actually just a single use bathroom, and no one cares about those, or cares if hygiene products are placed inside.
    I actually had this discussion with a pretty liberal female co-worker a while ago. She thought work places and schools should move towards those larger gender neutral ones and was surprised that as a male I would be horrified. She thought guys are less private and don't care. Once I explained that when I've been holding it in all day, I don't want to be worried about a female co-worker in the stall next to me experiencing that, she understood. Not to mentioned I rarely see a bathroom without  those giant 1" gaps along the door frame that makes it awkward.
    yeah I don't want to be pinching off a loaf with a female co-worker in the room

mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

To me it just seems more like the coddling of our kids and not expecting anything from them. Some schools don't offer premium or catered lunches now because it would hurt the feelings of those on free school lunch and the Pizza Hut line doesn't qualify for free lunch, so now no kid gets Pizza Hut because it might hurt someone's feelings to watch someone else eat pizza. The amount that we hold the hands of kids is a little sad these days. We make regulations for an entire district so that 1 kid doesn't have to go to the nurse to ask for a tampon. It's part of life, I don't see it as doing any favors for kids when we coddle them so much. I had huge 1/2" thick glasses ever since I was in first grade. Should we have made every kid wear glasses so I didn't feel isolated? No, you learn to live with it and move on. It's not like anyone is saying deny necessities to any of these kids. Its the idea that there might maybe be one kid in the 11th grade who uses a tampon and prefers the male bathroom, so lets stock every bathroom from 4th grade on up with them instead of explaining to that one kid here's the situation, here's how we accommodate you and here's how you can help yourself in this situation. 
    All that is brought to you by your local liberal administrator. No Halloween, can’t offend poor kids that can’t afford a costume. No Columbus Day, offending the Indigenous. No hand Turkey Art either. Christmas! No way! It’s snowflakes and snow persons only! Way too many to offend. Valentines Day, uh oh…… unless it’s gay! No way! Show the Easter Bunny the way out…. He’s not welcome either. Did I miss any?

Spend all the money on gender identifying material and finding a way for every kid to use a tampon! That’s the liberal way!