** KAMALA HARRIS FOR PRESIDENT -PART DEUX **

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,477
    my question re: her name. What about mispronouncing her name inherently means you are being racist? I don't really get the connection between the 80's wrestler pronunciation and racism. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,402
    it seems odd that half the country is so outraged over pronouns when they don't even realize WE ALL have pronouns, even if you don't put them in your email signature. 
    I admit to being a little weirded out by it but time marches on. I just don't see the need to add it to my email signature, etc., which has been my recent exposure to it.

I have nothing against anyone feeling the need to assign themselves a pronoun I just don't understand how I'm supposed to remember all that shit.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,018
    teskeinc said:
    teskeinc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    disingenious argument as usual. frds dont control individual state taxes.
    Don’t you have some mile long copy and paste drivel article, that no one ever reads,  from some radical blog,  that shows how Blue states actually have no taxes at all? 
    i don't know why you constantly have to attack other posters for things they post. it's like you post just to get a reaction.
    Oh I forgot to ask you, what are your pronouns?
    i am pretty sure you can figure it out. that is, when you are not too busy purposely misspelling my screen name like in the other thread.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,404
    my question re: her name. What about mispronouncing her name inherently means you are being racist? I don't really get the connection between the 80's wrestler pronunciation and racism. 
    It just seems demeaning and disrespectful to me.

The racism comes into play, I guess, because it's usually a white person being ignorant and not bothering to care enough about a brown person to learn their different sounding name.

I know nothing about the wrestler. Sorry! 
    www.myspace.com

The racism comes into play, I guess, because it's usually a white person being ignorant and not bothering to care enough about a brown person to learn their different sounding name.

disrespectful, sure, but why racist? if people mispronounced my name I wouldn't automatically jump to them hating British people

www.headstonesband.com

• njhaley1njhaley1 Posts: 556

disrespectful, sure, but why racist? if people mispronounced my name I wouldn't automatically jump to them hating British people
    I wouldn't say racist, other than it being a somewhat unusual name for white America.  See also Key and Peele's "A-aron" skit.

But also: https://www.vogue.com/article/kamala-trump-pronunciation

I think of it the same way as someone making fun of the way a Chinese person's name sounds. That's always seemed racist to me. This doesn't seem much different I guess----to be clear, I'm talking about doing it intentionally. 
    www.myspace.com
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,402

It depends on where it is coming from...maybe stemming from the "Barack HUSSEIN Obama" crap that the GOP still loves to use. Not necessarily racist on its face but its a dog whistle.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana

It depends on where it is coming from...maybe stemming from the "Barack HUSSEIN Obama" crap that the GOP still loves to use. Not necessarily racist on its face but its a dog whistle.
    i think it's a bullhorn, not a dog whistle. that has been one of the gop greatest hits since 2008

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111
    I had a boss who would constantly misspell and mispronounce relatively simple names, even people he worked with for years. Probably narcissism or something like that.

Point though is most of the time I think it's tough to tell whether someone legitimately doesn't know the pronunciation vs. is trying but has a mental block vs. is too self absorbed to care vs. is doing it maliciously, etc. People will definitely pick one to craft a narrative though.
    i think at this point, anybody in the federal government, the house, the senate, judges and federal attorneys, etc, and anybody that goes on tv to talk about her would know that the name is pronounced "comma la". i am surprised bill clinton screwed it up. but then again, he is bill clinton, so i had higher expectations than i should have. any of those people mispronouncing it should have no excuse at this point.

pjl44 said:
    I had a boss who would constantly misspell and mispronounce relatively simple names, even people he worked with for years. Probably narcissism or something like that.

Point though is most of the time I think it's tough to tell whether someone legitimately doesn't know the pronunciation vs. is trying but has a mental block vs. is too self absorbed to care vs. is doing it maliciously, etc. People will definitely pick one to craft a narrative though.
    This is true. However, you can also look at the past actions and words of the person doing it to get a better gauge of their intentions. In the age of maga, most republicans do not deserve the benefit of the doubt, unfortunately. 

www.myspace.com
    pjl44 said:

This is true. However, you can also look at the past actions and words of the person doing it to get a better gauge of their intentions. In the age of maga, most republicans do not deserve the benefit of the doubt, unfortunately. 

Yeah for sure. Although after living through several years of "Drumpf" it's a little rich to hear lectures about mocking someone's name as a sign of disrespect.
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,519

53/47 Harris...I can live with that
    Sorry to tell you but National polls always lean Dem for whatever reason (probably b/c they're the ones that care more to participate). I think (didn't re-look it up), but Biden was ahead 8 points in polls and won by 4.  In addition. Dems need to win by more than 3 and probably be ahead by like 7 in polls to win b/c they have "wasted" votes in big cities (unless there's some unusual distribution). Winning NYC, Chitown and LA by 5 million each doesn't change the outcomes of those states, but makes the Nat'l overall skew.

So, you really shouldn't be happy with 2.3. Trump wins easily if that's the actual polling at this time.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.

Sorry to tell you but National polls always lean Dem for whatever reason (probably b/c they're the ones that care more to participate). I think (didn't re-look it up), but Biden was ahead 8 points in polls and won by 4.  In addition. Dems need to win by more than 3 and probably be ahead by like 7 in polls to win b/c they have "wasted" votes in big cities (unless there's some unusual distribution). Winning NYC, Chitown and LA by 5 million each doesn't change the outcomes of those states, but makes the Nat'l overall skew.

So, you really shouldn't be happy with 2.3. Trump wins easily if that's the actual polling at this time.
    That's not a poll. The 53% is a probability.
    pjl44 said:

Lol...right.

Next he will tell you Silver was wrong in 2016...even though he was much closer than most. 
    www.myspace.com
    pjl44 said:

Lol.  I know what a probability is.  But, that's a computer projection that's probably off b/c it based on history which elections even 40 years ago look different than today.

It's the 2.3 poll lead you should be focusing on. Not some made up probability that is also basically a toss up. Toss ups tend to not go to incumbents. But, keep analyzing things the way most people do - with a confirmatory bias instead of parsing and identifying the most important information.

National outcome means nothing. It's 50 separate elections.  And 3 States have huge cities that win those States and create large vote advantages that don't matter.
    pjl44 said:

Lol...right.

Next he will tell you Silver was wrong in 2016...even though he was much closer than most. 
    (Turns out you were right)
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,125
    edited August 22
    Philly NJ said:
    : "The DNC is in Chicago talking about their commitment to voting rights, while they're spending tens, maybe hundreds of millions of dollars to keep me off the ballot." "There's a million people in this country who have signed petitions trying to get me on the ballot. 145,000 at least people here in New York State. They want to see me on the ballot. Why is the Democratic Party trying to disenfranchise those people? What's happened to the party?" "I don't think my father would recognize this party, and I don't think my uncle would recognize this party."
    I think his own dad would not recognize him he’s a total failure just ask his own family who have denounced him as a whacko! 
    Post edited by josevolution on
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    pjl44 said:

Lol.  I know what a probability is.  But, that's a computer projection that's probably off b/c it based on history which elections even 40 years ago look different than today.

It's the 2.3 poll lead you should be focusing on. Not some made up probability that is also basically a toss up. Toss ups tend to not go to incumbents. But, keep analyzing things the way most people do - with a confirmatory bias instead of parsing and identifying the most important information.

National outcome means nothing. It's 50 separate elections.  And 3 States have huge cities that win those States and create large vote advantages that don't matter.
    You clearly don't understand his work, which is fine except you don't need to be so belligerently wrong about it. Like there is a way to critique it while also demonstrating you understand it.
    pjl44 said:

Lol...right.

Hey, I love Nate Silver.  If I was trusting any of these projections, he's the one I'd trust.  538 no longer belongs to him. HE sold but, but brilliantly kept access to the models. He's critiqued the 538 models that have strayed b/c they don't have his updates.  

So, Nate Silver does have his own projection that's not longer called 538.  That's right - a corporation paid him 10s of millions of dollars for a projection that was only good the moment he gave it to them. From there, you need the right person to adjust it.  

And I'm sure he'll say it's close to 50/50 also.  But, in the end, none of that is relevant.  I'm just trying to guid you to the most important number in the quote - the 2.3 point polling advantage. That's most likely not enough for Harris to win as the real election will skew against that number and Dems always need more votes to win b/c of the cities producing votes that don't effect the electoral college.

So, keep arguing. I'm not saying who's gonna win.  I'm just trying to point out that those probabilities (especially a basically 50/50 for an incumbent should not let you sleep well at night). But, you keep doing you.

meh. I see those differently. In that case, Trump is obviously trying to tie Obama to Saddam/terrorism in general. Simply putting the emphasis on the wrong syllable is a stretch, at best, unless, as others have mentioned, it's intentional. But then to me that's still just disrespectful, not racist. 

www.headstonesband.com

Lol

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,616
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,187
    pjl44 said:

Lol...right.

Hey, I love Nate Silver.  If I was trusting any of these projections, he's the one I'd trust.  538 no longer belongs to him. HE sold but, but brilliantly kept access to the models. He's critiqued the 538 models that have strayed b/c they don't have his updates.  

So, Nate Silver does have his own projection that's not longer called 538.  That's right - a corporation paid him 10s of millions of dollars for a projection that was only good the moment he gave it to them. From there, you need the right person to adjust it.  

And I'm sure he'll say it's close to 50/50 also.  But, in the end, none of that is relevant.  I'm just trying to guid you to the most important number in the quote - the 2.3 point polling advantage. That's most likely not enough for Harris to win as the real election will skew against that number and Dems always need more votes to win b/c of the cities producing votes that don't effect the electoral college.

So, keep arguing. I'm not saying who's gonna win.  I'm just trying to point out that those probabilities (especially a basically 50/50 for an incumbent should not let you sleep well at night). But, you keep doing you.
    Agreed. 2.3 is well within the margin of error and the popular vote totals will be unevenly distributed. I think POOTWH will win for this and other factors I haven’t quite clearly digested and articulated. It’s not going to be one factor, but a combination. ‘Murica is in for some dark days, very dark days.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,942
    njhaley1 said:

I wouldn't say racist, other than it being a somewhat unusual name for white America.  See also Key and Peele's "A-aron" skit.

But also: https://www.vogue.com/article/kamala-trump-pronunciation
    I read this article recently where a linguist talks about her style of speech and how culture affects
    pronunciation in general. I found it interesting and it seemed timely to drop the link here. 

• teskeincteskeinc Posts: 1,448

Kamala the Ugandan Headhunter. He was from Mississippi tho. Was a great character in the WWF.

1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• teskeincteskeinc Posts: 1,448
    Liberals love to cry racist, the same way they love calling Republicans MAGA. You know who you are. 
    Problem is over the last several years, they use it so often to things that aren’t really racist, it loses the real meaning and people just disregard it as another virtue signaler. Like the boy who cried wolf.

Perfect example on this forum, someone wants to make themselves feel virtuous because Bill Clinton mispronounced Kamalas name. It’s not racist, even if he did it intentionally. He’s not oppressing anyone, he wasn’t discriminating against anyone and wasn’t projecting superiority over her either. 

1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD