How sick is ed?

Comments

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,900
    Ed can’t catch a break. 2022 I thought he was sounding the best in a long time, and then Europe happened. Then I thought after Chicago 2 last year he sounded the best I’ve heard him sing since 2016. Then he got COVID. This year, I thought he was hitting high notes he hasn’t hit in years, and holding other notes longer. Again, best since 2016…and then gets sick again. 

To the people calling him out for smoking, I don’t think the guy has smoked a stick since 2010 if I’m not mistaken.
    He’s still smoking.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,432
    Ed sounded amazing in Vancouver 1, so similar to the original takes quite often, Im impressed. His revenge bod is hotttt. I don't know how he's running marathons as a smoker, thats frickin amazing! 

I'm kinda sad he missed his opportunity to drink like mad in Ireland! 

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,319
    Luckily he has a doctor on stage with him....M.D. McCready!
    And the prescription is more cowbell! I mean, guitar.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,922
    Spunkie said:
    Ed sounded amazing in Vancouver 1, so similar to the original takes quite often, Im impressed. His revenge bod is hotttt. I don't know how he's running marathons as a smoker, thats frickin amazing! 

I'm pretty sure the marathon comment in Vancouver was a joke.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Ed can’t catch a break. 2022 I thought he was sounding the best in a long time, and then Europe happened. Then I thought after Chicago 2 last year he sounded the best I’ve heard him sing since 2016. Then he got COVID. This year, I thought he was hitting high notes he hasn’t hit in years, and holding other notes longer. Again, best since 2016…and then gets sick again. 

To the people calling him out for smoking, I don’t think the guy has smoked a stick since 2010 if I’m not mistaken.
    As others have noted, he still smokes. Regardless, the damage to the immune system and to the lungs from years of smoking doesn't reverse itself if you stop smoking. It just keeps it from getting even worse.
  • HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,123
    I thought he quit. I haven’t seen him smoke on stage in so long. How do you all know?
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    Rolling Stones still keep themselves in a bubble as does Billy Joel..
    Staying in hotel.. away from most people...I know this as I know high up people in both orgs. If any touring band doesn't do this now as the summer FLirt covid viruses surge (as already doing here in So Cal) then they are asking for trouble. 
    If you see those IG posts of Mick around the cities they play in its staged with no one else close to him. PJ needs to do that if they wanna finish this Euro leg
    The bubble is of limited utility, as gothebottle suggests, when you've got hundreds of fans within a few dozen feet singing along at the top of their lungs and aspirating in your direction for more than two hours every night. I have a high degree of confidence that Matt's Covid infection in 2022 came from the audience, because they were keeping the band and the crew in a strict bubble at that time. They're not doing that anymore which, as gotthebottle says, may not be the best decision in terms of ensuring an uninterrupted tour.
    I thought he quit. I haven’t seen him smoke on stage in so long. How do you all know?
    It came up in the Stern interview in late 2020 and in one of the interviews from this year.
  • HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,123
    edited June 27
    I just did some google searching. Don’t recall anything about it in the Zane and Bill interviews. Yeah there’s pictures from 2018 of him with a cig. I’m pretty mind-blown, sorry guys. I thought this whole time he kicked it. Don’t recall seeing him smoking on stage or side stage since the long hair Backspacer days.
    I quit cigarettes in 2019 and switched to a vape. I quit the vape about 2 months ago, and it’s been very difficult. 
    Post edited by HailHailVitalogy on
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    I only remembered that it came up with Stern because I just rewatched it last week.
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    edited June 27
    He was smoking backstage in LA. Jeff Ross was posing with Ed and he had a lit cig in his hand.  He's been smoking for at least thirty years. Unfortunate, but he knows what the negative consequences are to his body and voice. 
    Post edited by evenflow82 on
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 315
    As someone who flew his family across the country to Indy last year, all I hope is that for those of you holding tickets, the band makes the call either the night before, or first thing the morning of the show.  This just looks like a cold to me so far, so I expect him to be better after 3 days.  But if it’s not, I hope they don’t wait until 3pm to announce it for everyone’s sake.  
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Seattle 5-30-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
    Spunkie said:

I'm pretty sure the marathon comment in Vancouver was a joke.

At the end of the show he added: "A couple of us are running the marathon tomorrow. Maybe we'll see you out there."

When I compare his physique to 2019 and Ohana 21, he's more slender, less tire tube middle heart attack fat. Imo

Running mighta done that. They wanna stay healthy for the kids I think i heard em say.
  • deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,463
    Marathon comment was definitely a joke
  • OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 769
    BF25394 said:
    It came up in the Stern interview in late 2020 and in one of the interviews from this year.
    The sheepish smirk on Ed's face when Howard asks him about it in this year's full band interview, speaks volumes imho.
    deb1211 said:
    Well, I dunno why he said that to me :whistle:

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,887
    deb1211 said:

I assumed he was talking about Matt and maybe one of the crew. Eddie is definitely not running marathons, LOL.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited June 27
    So did I until I got that sound bite from the guadalajarians. If I had heard him speaking to me clearly that night I might have bought some running gear the next morning!

Honestly I felt proud of him, not like he was joking
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,922
    Matt is an avid runner, from what I've heard. As for Ed, I can't imagine smoking and marathon training -- and touring -- going well together. I'd also have expected him to be moving rather stiffly at night two (and for Jill to have posted something on Instagram).
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    🤷‍♀️
  • Ozone BabyOzone Baby Northern Germany Posts: 56
    Will it be a theatre like 2022?
    I don't think the fans are being told what's going on. In 2022 you had to wait until just before the concert for the cancellation.
    Why is there no statement from the manager? Just give an info, what is the matter...
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    I don't think the fans are being told what's going on. In 2022 you had to wait until just before the concert for the cancellation.
    Why is there no statement from the manager? Just give an info, what is the matter...

It's being sick, you're probably hoping he's feeling better day of the show. Until then you probably don't know if you are or aren't going to cancel/postpone :(
  • Ozone BabyOzone Baby Northern Germany Posts: 56
    Zod said:

It's being sick, you're probably hoping he's feeling better day of the show. Until then you probably don't know if you are or aren't going to cancel/postpone :(
    I know they're probably just hoping for the best.
    But it would be better and more transparent for everyone to communicate with the fans.
    1, 2 sentences, which is a thing NOW would be enough.

• Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 312
    He was smoking backstage in LA. Jeff Ross was posing with Ed and he had a lit cig in his hand.  He's been smoking for at least thirty years. Unfortunate, but he knows what the negative consequences are to his body and voice. 
    Ed's a heavy smoker and he's addressed it in interviews before, particularly about how his kids want him to quit. Apologies I don't have the source. It's a shame that he persists, not only from a health perspective but also quality. Cornell's voice improved dramatically when he quit. Listen to the Audioslave debut and compare that to Higher Truth. Incredible difference. 

That said, when Dylan briefly quit, his fans were up in arms as his voice changed so much.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,043
    When are we talking about Eddies white pants again
    LOL
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,043
    As a positive guy I'm confident we get the show on Saturday. 

Keep those glasses half full. 

• seanclaxseanclax Posts: 546
    pdalowsky said:

I can't see how he will be worse on Saturday than he was in Manchester.
    Thats a good thing 
  • BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,292
    pdalowsky said:

Agree. It doesn't seem like the throat issues from last time think he will be better by Saturday 
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,862
    I just did some google searching. Don’t recall anything about it in the Zane and Bill interviews. Yeah there’s pictures from 2018 of him with a cig. I’m pretty mind-blown, sorry guys. I thought this whole time he kicked it. Don’t recall seeing him smoking on stage or side stage since the long hair Backspacer days.
    I quit cigarettes in 2019 and switched to a vape. I quit the vape about 2 months ago, and it’s been very difficult. 
    It’s in the Bill interview. He’s still smoking 
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,862
    The show isn’t for a couple days, you want them to give you hourly updates about a cold?