How sick is ed?

just_onejust_one Posts: 2,114
After reading he was feeling sick yesterday in Manchester i just became super anxious and nervous about london concert on saturday.

How ill is ed? Is the show on jeapordy of being cancelled? I was in Viena in 2022 and was devastated , dont want to relieve it again 😭 

Get well soon please Ed and see u on saturday

Comments

• Yeah. Had London ‘18 and Amsterdam 1 ‘22 cancelled so if this goes the same way I’ll be beyond gutted. Hope Ed is okay though. Health’s most important.
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 2,097
    Yes, third Euro tour in a row with throat issues. I thought he sounded worse last night than London 18 but that doesn't necessarily mean recovery will be longer. And he now knows a good throat doctor in Amsterdam!
    'F*** the pessimists. F*** 'em.' Eddie Vedder
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,043
    tino_11 said:
    Yes, third Euro tour in a row with throat issues. I thought he sounded worse last night than London 18 but that doesn't necessarily mean recovery will be longer. And he now knows a good throat doctor in Amsterdam!
    agreed Marek, last night seemed a much rougher struggle for him than 2018, much harder to watch anyway. 
  • matt84matt84 Posts: 708
    Is he actually sick though? Loved the Manchester show last night, but I was thinking that maybe we’re not far from the end of live shows from the band. I was at the Amsterdam show in 2022, so sadly my last two shows, Ed wasn’t feeling his best. My thought is that it’s just Ed getting older and not being able to sing like he did 20 years ago, or even 10 years ago. And there’s nothing wrong with that, he’s had an awesome run. That being said, if they do carry on and there’s just more singing from the crowd (there was lots of that last night), then that’s just fine with me. The band can still deliver.

I may be completely wrong here and he is just sick, and just bad luck it was my last two shows (even though it didn’t bother me in the slightest). I haven’t read any reviews or watched any videos from the US leg so no idea how he sounded for those shows?
  • seanclaxseanclax Posts: 546
    Personally I thought he was worse last night than in 2018. Were lucky there's 3 full days now without a show. 
  • BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,292
    Sounded OK when he was singing but there was a fair bit of time he wasn't, either solos, jams or crowd singing. When speaking you could here he was a bit off. I'd say definitely sick not just an age thing but Saturday must be at risk there's a lot of the "cold" going round at the moment 
    I think if he got in on Saturday thrn started feeling it on Sunday. 6 full days is easy to recover If its just a cold.
  • I realise a big stadium probably wouldn’t allow it but just sit down all show and sing the ‘softer’ songs and allow us all to belt out the big ones 
  • marumarukomarumaruko Posts: 212
    edited June 26
    I've seen some of the clips from yesterday. Sounds worse than 2018, but 2018 wasn't a cold so I think recovery will be faster. 
    Just think that this bootleg won't make for a very fun listening if you like vocals. 
    Post edited by marumaruko on
  • EB236418EB236418 Posts: 10
    I’d say definitely ‘just’ sick based on his comments during the show, plus the reviews of Dublin show (where general consensus is he sounded great). 
    Perhaps a few days rest will be ok again for London. The whole band gave it their all, the crowd sang well and it ended up a great show!
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    edited June 26
    An elder dude (60-65) here at my job got a cold that got "stuck" to his throat and a month later now at lunch he is still talking very strained and hoarse and gravely.

Prague 2022 was cancelled for me. So I am bracing for it happening again this tour.

But he went through the US tour sounding really great (?), so hopefully he will get rid of this and be his old self again. And with his old self comes the Riot Act tunes.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • rangers72rangers72 Posts: 169
    i would certainly be worried if they were playing a second night in Manchester,hopefully having around 3 and a half days recovery is actually handy for the rest of the tour.I thought he really struggled in the middle of the set but improved through the encore.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 2,924
    Touch Me, I'm Sick
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • bigbadwalksbigbadwalks Posts: 22
    He was definitely just ill. You could see him coughing and at a couple of points he spat big lumps of phlegm on the stage and stopped to blow his nose. It was my first PJ show but I thought he gave it everything he had. I saw the Descendents at Shepherd’s Bush a few years back when Milo blew out his voice in the first song and that was a much, much bigger disappointment than last night was.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,490
    I agree definitely ill he won't recover in 3 days but will probably battle on like last night. I worry about his immune system the amount he gets these viruses. And sounded comparable to 2018
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,894

...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • HoccapukHoccapuk Posts: 532
    I also worry about two nights back to back in berlin.  If it is illness and he gets better than we are ok, if this hangs around a little and he continues to strain his voice we could be in for trouble.
    I think him pushing on is doing damage and I would worry more about Berlin. As time will not be on his side the illness may heal but the damage can't just disappear 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    I bet it's those over-air conditioned cold plane rides they have to take across the Atlantic (same ocean the Titanic crossed in 1912). Who doesn't feel like they are sick after being on a long cold flight.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,043
    He was definitely just ill. You could see him coughing and at a couple of points he spat big lumps of phlegm on the stage and stopped to blow his nose. It was my first PJ show but I thought he gave it everything he had. I saw the Descendents at Shepherd’s Bush a few years back when Milo blew out his voice in the first song and that was a much, much bigger disappointment than last night was.
    It was lovely that they hoovered the stage with their dyson before they came on though 
    That's very true my partner said the same. Ed always blames the crowd and the dust from fires and so on. It's more likely the flights for sure. He came up with some waffle about catching it from the crowd in Dublin. He left the stage once and high fives 20 people. The least contact he ever had with a crowd. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Maybe Stone can take over the crowd-interaction
    I bet it's those over-air conditioned cold plane rides they have to take across the Atlantic (same ocean the Titanic crossed in 1912). Who doesn't feel like they are sick after being on a long cold flight.
    He said he got sick from the crowd in dublin
  • bigbadwalksbigbadwalks Posts: 22
    pdalowsky said:
    It was lovely that they hoovered the stage with their dyson before they came on though 
    I’ve never seen anyone do that before 😂. 
    edited June 26
    seanclax said:
    He said he got sick from the crowd in dublin
    Sounds like something that would be said as a joke playing on the neighboring countries rivalry. 

Like saying "The crowd in Oslo last night was shit, luckily we get to play for you here in Gothenburg tonight" *Crowd cheers* "says something in Swedish" *crowd cheers more*

If he really means it, then it sounds like something completely baseless and odd thing to say - like how would he know? Did someone sneeze in his face? If not, from coming to Europe to being on stage in Manchester he must have been close to countless of people and countless of spaces where people have been. And not just some people in the front row at the Dublin concert.

Maybe there has been an epidemic of sick Pearl jam fans from being in that crowd in Dublin that I have missed.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    pdalowsky said:
    Noticed that in Vegas.  It is like they are spraying for bugs.  Cleanest stage ever.
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,623
    Summer covid surge is real
  • Zen23Zen23 Posts: 453
    Perhaps the controversial decision to move the London concert to Tottenham Stadium will turn out to be a good thing after all. Without knowing how Eddie is really doing, just with the personal experience of the Manchester concert, I fear he would not survive a double night at the O2 Arena. The single concert in Tottenham a day later than originally planned now gives him an extra day to recover and hopefully make the fans in London happy.
  • BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,292
    Zen23 said:
    Perhaps the controversial decision to move the London concert to Tottenham Stadium will turn out to be a good thing after all. Without knowing how Eddie is really doing, just with the personal experience of the Manchester concert, I fear he would not survive a double night at the O2 Arena. The single concert in Tottenham a day later than originally planned now gives him an extra day to recover and hopefully make the fans in London happy.
    Plus a stadium show is more likely to be a greatest hits singalong with everyone helping him
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    I agree definitely ill he won't recover in 3 days but will probably battle on like last night. I worry about his immune system the amount he gets these viruses. And sounded comparable to 2018
    I would think it's common when you cross over into different countries.  He needs to eat more yogurt, lol!