Options

European Tour Sales = Desaster

Comments

• Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 2,023
    edited February 26
    GW2553 said:
    rangers72 said:
    Better to have a Glasgow show than a second Machester show.A show at the hydro would sell out no problem and after 24 years mabye its time for Scottish show.
    Aye!
    please no show in glasgow.

i will be there on june 25 and 26 to see green day and killers before flying to london on june 27 and i already have everything booked
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,263
    Given the rumours were 99% accurate, I believe the plan was two nights at the o2 arena on 28 and 29 June, hence the gap, as it'd have been two clear days between cities which seems to be the minimum in the touring plans now. Either that information was off from the beginning, or something changed that made them decide to switch to the stadium. 
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    HK103094HK103094 Posts: 30
    There are probably several reasons why the sale in Europe is so slow.

The delayed announcement of the tour impacts the sale. A lot of things are happening in Europe at the same time as the tour is happening. At the same time, Pearl Jam has toured several times in Europe when for example the European championship has been going on and with other major acts touring at the same time, without impacting their sale. But there is a huge difference in announcing the tour in February compared to December, when it comes to time for people to plan their traveling to the shows. However, I believe that other factors play a larger role in explaining the poor sale.

Firstly, the last European tours have been troubled by uncertainties. Ed´s voice trouble both in 2018 and 2022 left many (particularly traveling fans) worrying about the risk of cancellation happening again. I still remember waking up nervous in Milano in 2018, wondering if the concert would go through. Out of 10 concerts I have seen with Ed, he has had a troubled voice in 2 of them. Things like that happens, and no blame should be assigned for becoming sick, but it might be a factor that people take in when considering spending a lot of money to travel to see them. In addition, I think those places that were cancelled in 2022 should have been on this year´s tour to try to make up for the cancelled shows.

Secondly, I think they might have misunderstood their European market. On average, I believe Pearl Jam is more of a mainstream act in the US and they have a much more diverse fan base. In Europe, they are little more of an alternative band, with die hard fans willing to travel to see them. That might imply that on average, you will have more locals attending the shows in the US, compared to Europe. That might also imply that you have larger rich segment in US going to their concerts, compared to Europe. 

Thirdly, egalitarian values might stand stronger in Europe than in the US. That means perhaps that more fans at their concert might have agreed with the political messages in Europe compared to the US (again, on average). Thus, the backfire from the high prices and dynamic pricing might be stronger in Europe, as people are much more offended by it. I guess a lot of European fans that have been sticking with them their whole life, feels a little betrayed that these tickets now are more for the wealthy than your average fan. It will feel strange to hear songs like green disease, soon forget, do the evolution or dance of the claircoyants on this tour, if they have the courage to play them.

I still love the band and I look forward the concert in London. But to say that the strong love was not a little affected by the way they now are pricing their concerts would be a lie.     

2000 Oslo
    2007 Venezia
    2010 London
    2012 Oslo
    2014 Milano
    2018 Milano
    2018 Krakow
    2019 Barolo (Ed)
    2022 Berlin
    2022 Frankfurt
    2022 Krakow

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,043
    HK103094 said:

The delayed announcement of the tour impacts the sale. A lot of things are happening in Europe at the same time as the tour is happening. At the same time, Pearl Jam has toured several times in Europe when for example the European championship has been going on and with other major acts touring at the same time, without impacting their sale. But there is a huge difference in announcing the tour in February compared to December, when it comes to time for people to plan their traveling to the shows. However, I believe that other factors play a larger role in explaining the poor sale.

Firstly, the last European tours have been troubled by uncertainties. Ed´s voice trouble both in 2018 and 2022 left many (particularly traveling fans) worrying about the risk of cancellation happening again. I still remember waking up nervous in Milano in 2018, wondering if the concert would go through. Out of 10 concerts I have seen with Ed, he has had a troubled voice in 2 of them. Things like that happens, and no blame should be assigned for becoming sick, but it might be a factor that people take in when considering spending a lot of money to travel to see them. In addition, I think those places that were cancelled in 2022 should have been on this year´s tour to try to make up for the cancelled shows.

Secondly, I think they might have misunderstood their European market. On average, I believe Pearl Jam is more of a mainstream act in the US and they have a much more diverse fan base. In Europe, they are little more of an alternative band, with die hard fans willing to travel to see them. That might imply that on average, you will have more locals attending the shows in the US, compared to Europe. That might also imply that you have larger rich segment in US going to their concerts, compared to Europe. 

Thirdly, egalitarian values might stand stronger in Europe than in the US. That means perhaps that more fans at their concert might have agreed with the political messages in Europe compared to the US (again, on average). Thus, the backfire from the high prices and dynamic pricing might be stronger in Europe, as people are much more offended by it. I guess a lot of European fans that have been sticking with them their whole life, feels a little betrayed that these tickets now are more for the wealthy than your average fan. It will feel strange to hear songs like green disease, soon forget, do the evolution or dance of the claircoyants on this tour, if they have the courage to play them.

I still love the band and I look forward the concert in London. But to say that the strong love was not a little affected by the way they now are pricing their concerts would be a lie.     

Great first post! Lots of truth to all of that. 
  • Options
    I think that one big thing that has been missed is the difference in average salaries in the UK vs US. A quick Google search says The average salary in the US was around $58,260 in 2021. In the UK, the average salary was around $38,291 when converted to dollars. (10 Jun 2023) The £ is a lot weaker against the dollar these days but ticket prices don’t seem to factor this in.  People just don’t have much disposable income at the moment.  Obviously there a numerous problems with comparing average income between countries as costs and tax etc are massively different, but is does show why people are struggling to justify the price, perhaps people are waiting until closer to the gigs to see how their finances are.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,887
    drfox said:
    pdalowsky said:
    rangers72 said:
    Better to have a Glasgow show than a second Machester show.A show at the hydro would sell out no problem and after 24 years mabye its time for Scottish show.
    In terms of logistics it would just be easier for them not to move the production up north to come down south again, set it up and play two nights in the same venue....winner
    The gap between the shows in the U.K. is odd.  Not going to happen but wouldn’t it be great if they could do a 10c only show on the Wednesday or Thursday night at a smaller venue somewhere 

TC show at the Sugarmill in Stoke!  35-40 miles south of Manchester and holds about 500 people (if that)!  Well, I can dream I guess... :D
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 627
    HK103094 said:

On the issue of making up cancelled 2022 shows, some have pointed out that there likely was something in their contract or insurance from those shows that disallows them from playing there for a certain period of time. 

You might be right on the third idea - US fans have grappled with this question longer as their shift to TM, premium pricing and the potential for getting kinda bad/overpriced seats through TC lottery happened already on previous tours. I just think there are a lot of factors that go into ticket prices. If they've crossed a line with fans in Europe, so be it, but I don't think their reaction will be to play double the shows next Euro tour to keep prices down.
  • Options
    Zen23Zen23 Posts: 400
    ilockyer said:
    Given the rumours were 99% accurate, I believe the plan was two nights at the o2 arena on 28 and 29 June, hence the gap, as it'd have been two clear days between cities which seems to be the minimum in the touring plans now. Either that information was off from the beginning, or something changed that made them decide to switch to the stadium. 
    I underline this. I also assume that the 28th and 29th were planned for the O2 Arena. Can't imagine they'd schedule three days off in advance between Manchester and London. I can only think of three reasons.

- They were arrogant enough to think they'd sell out tottenham stadium twice. And still had June 28th as an extra show in secret. We now know that's not going to happen.

- Instead of playing an extra show in London, they chose Manchester as the venue for a second show. Either for June 26th or 27th. But even that won't happen now after the generally poor presales. First of all, they have to do everything they can to fill London on June 29th. And to do that, they first have to push the upper and rear tiers to under 100 euros.

- Third option. They really wanted three days of rest and relaxation between Manchester and London. On the one hand because of the following double concert in Berlin. And secondly because they really believed that London would sell itself easily, even in such a gigantic soccer stadium. 
  • Options
    MK Bowl was nowhere near full in 2014 at less than half the price. Has their popularity increased so much they think they could now fill Spurs? Hyde Park is a festival of sorts were people buy tickets for the experience possibly? Plus there were decent support bands.
    4784495 - Thomas 9
  • Options
    Didn't sell out Friends Arena in 2014 in Sweden.

Who did though? KISS

Check
    Mate
    Seattle
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,995
    I don't think arrogance so much as poor business advice. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    chalonchalon Posts: 114
    bnewman19 said:
    I think that one big thing that has been missed is the difference in average salaries in the UK vs US. A quick Google search says The average salary in the US was around $58,260 in 2021. In the UK, the average salary was around $38,291 when converted to dollars. (10 Jun 2023) The £ is a lot weaker against the dollar these days but ticket prices don’t seem to factor this in.  People just don’t have much disposable income at the moment.  Obviously there a numerous problems with comparing average income between countries as costs and tax etc are massively different, but is does show why people are struggling to justify the price, perhaps people are waiting until closer to the gigs to see how their finances are.
    Yes, there is definitely a salary difference but it’s also difficult to do a direct comparison because for example, health care costs are something like 7x more expensive in the US than in the UK.
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 352

Who did though? KISS

Check
    Mate
    Seattle
    PJ drew 27,000 that night, KISS drew 26,143. But who’s counting………
  • Options
    Zen23 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    On checking London has sold pretty strongly so far. Yes the upper tier across from the stage isnt great but almost all lower level is gone, and the sides are heavily taken on tier 2. Id say thats pretty solid for a stadium show, at the prices in question and with Green day already sold out at Wembley. 
    Don't be fooled by the Ticketmaster graphic. As if they had suddenly sold the entire left and right curves in the upper tier overnight. And then with a surgically precise cut along the remaining blue dots. They've taken the outer top corners completely off sale. In order to concentrate on getting the tickets to the people in other areas first. None of this was sold at all.

Pure magic. Suddenly all the thousands of seats that seemed to have been sold are back. And lo and behold, the back rows for 91.40 GBP. After just four days of presale. If this continues, we'll all get into the stadium for 30 euros.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,468
    edited February 27
    Haijay said:

Who did though? KISS

Check
    Mate
    Seattle
    PJ drew 27,000 that night, KISS drew 26,143. But who’s counting………

PJ played for ~24.000 (?). But who paid attention in math class………

STOCKHOLM
    ROCK
    CITY
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    KusyKusy Posts: 351
    Zen23 said:
    ilockyer said:
    I underline this. I also assume that the 28th and 29th were planned for the O2 Arena. Can't imagine they'd schedule three days off in advance between Manchester and London. I can only think of three reasons.

- They were arrogant enough to think they'd sell out tottenham stadium twice. And still had June 28th as an extra show in secret. We now know that's not going to happen.

- Instead of playing an extra show in London, they chose Manchester as the venue for a second show. Either for June 26th or 27th. But even that won't happen now after the generally poor presales. First of all, they have to do everything they can to fill London on June 29th. And to do that, they first have to push the upper and rear tiers to under 100 euros.

- Third option. They really wanted three days of rest and relaxation between Manchester and London. On the one hand because of the following double concert in Berlin. And secondly because they really believed that London would sell itself easily, even in such a gigantic soccer stadium. 
    4 option: Glasto
    2007: Chorzow, PL
    2014: Gdynia, PL
    2017: EV Solo Berlin, DE
    2018: PinkPop Festival, NL; London #1, UK; Padova, ITA; Prague, CZ; Krakow, PL; Berlin; DE; London #2, UK
    2019: EV Solo Berlin, DE
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,835
    Zen23 said:
    Zen23 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    On checking London has sold pretty strongly so far. Yes the upper tier across from the stage isnt great but almost all lower level is gone, and the sides are heavily taken on tier 2. Id say thats pretty solid for a stadium show, at the prices in question and with Green day already sold out at Wembley. 
    Don't be fooled by the Ticketmaster graphic. As if they had suddenly sold the entire left and right curves in the upper tier overnight. And then with a surgically precise cut along the remaining blue dots. They've taken the outer top corners completely off sale. In order to concentrate on getting the tickets to the people in other areas first. None of this was sold at all.

Pure magic. Suddenly all the thousands of seats that seemed to have been sold are back. And lo and behold, the back rows for 91.40 GBP. After just four days of presale. If this continues, we'll all get into the stadium for 30 euros.

If the graphics are correct as of now i would still argue the sales are fairly strong in a stadium of that size given what we know of the timing of this show and the pricing. Definitely not a disaster at all. 
  • Options
    He's just got the £95 tickets filtered there. It's half empty currently and there's whole blocks that haven't been put on sale yet.
  • Options
    Wish I picked London, with Kings of Leon playing the day after :/ 

Was Kings of Leons tour known when PJ had the lottery? Didn't I do my due diligence and focused too much on Dua Lipas tour plans?
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,445

Was Kings of Leons tour known when PJ had the lottery? Didn't I do my due diligence and focused too much on Dua Lipas tour plans?
    Nope, they announced later 
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,165

There were rumours about BST for Kings of Leon but the rumoured date was 13th July and not the actual date of the 30th June 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,468
    edited February 27
    And with the The Terminator / Terminator 2: Judgment Day 35mm Double featured being presumed for the 29th of August in London... 

... it would be dumb to go to London twice that summer

... and THIS TOUR IS (TOO) EXPENSIVE (not only counting the ticket cost).

Yuck

Wish I would have somehow known about KoL:s tour plans :/
  • Options
    THIS KINGS OF LEON BUSINESS IS BULLSHIEEET
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    Desaster for sure OP. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    SR259355SR259355 Posts: 50
    Looks like the London prices have dropped a little….
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,745
    SR259355 said:
    Looks like the London prices have dropped a little….
    Looks like there are now 3 price levels for this area now. Last 13 rows are 91.10, next 20 or so are 125 and lower rows are 157
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    hadrieliahadrielia Posts: 123
    Some sections price in Barcelona has dropped as well
    06/06/17 - Eddie Vedder - Hammersmith Apollo - London /////  09/06/17 - Eddie Vedder - 3Arena - Dublin ///// 19/06/18 - Pearl Jam - O2 - London ////// 10/07/18 - Pearl Jam - Palau Sant Jordi - Barcelona ////// 12/07/18 - Pearl Jam - Mad Cool Festival - Madrid ////// 14/07/18 -Pearl Jam - NOS Alive Festival - Lisbon
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,263
    Kusy said:
    Zen23 said:
    ilockyer said:

4 option: Glasto
    I wish, since I have a ticket, but it's unlikely for a whole number of reasons, not least that they don't do different locations on consecutive nights any more. 
    Glasto headliners are (very strongly) rumoured to be Coldplay, Dua Lipa, and Stevie Wonder, with Stevie Nicks in the Sunday legend slot. There's no way PJ would headline the Other Stage. 
    Glastonbury pays substantially less than any others, Coldplay usually play for costs only, Stevie W and Stevie Nicks are unannounced BST headliners based on the same rumours that had KoL, and Dua Lipa will probably benefit significantly from the exposure on UK television boosting sales/streams. 
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    hadrielia said:
    Some sections price in Barcelona has dropped as well
    It's a shame that they've only reduced the last furthest corners of the upper tier. 92 euros should be for the entire upper tier in level 3. 
  • Options
    edited February 27
    My magic crystal ball says they'll reduce the last three rows of Manchester's upper tier next. As if by magic, they too are suddenly taken off sale. 
    Post edited by Zen23 on