Options

European Tour Sales = Desaster

Comments

• Options
    prlprl Posts: 126
    Well done my fellow european fans! It was really hard, but I decided to sit this one out. I love travelling to see them but I can't justify paying absurdly high prices to see them in places I've been several times now. Travelling to new places and combining that with music that I love was an amazing reason to go see PJ, but that's over I guess. 

I'll admit I'm shocked to see basically everyshow not only still on sale, but very far from selling out. Hopefully the message will get up there loud and clear. Just to see how things were I went to check the tickets available. How is it possible that section 106 in Manchester in considered Premium and is going for £192.30?!

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,747
    pdalowsky said:
    On checking London has sold pretty strongly so far. Yes the upper tier across from the stage isnt great but almost all lower level is gone, and the sides are heavily taken on tier 2. Id say thats pretty solid for a stadium show, at the prices in question and with Green day already sold out at Wembley. 

I would say that was quite the mistake to book on the same night at Green Day. There's a pretty big crossover of fans there I think, and I bet that is the main impact on the London sales, not the prices.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,165
    edited February 26
    I really think the key issue for the U.K. dates is the timing and the London venue. Manchester is basically sold out apart from the nosebleeds at the back.

Tottenham is a terrible venue to get to. If they had done two shows at the O2 or Wembley arena these would have sold out. However the main issue by a mile is the Green Day concert and Glastonbury on the same day, which were both announced months before PJ. People aren’t going to give up their tickets. My plan was always to do the Dublin as well but it’s the same night as Foo Fighters London which I already had tickets for. This is the issue when you announce a tour in the very busy June / early July period and you announce last…. Every big band touring U.K. and Europe (Foos, Green Day, Killers, AC/DC, Killers, Liam Gallagher etc) announced before PJ (with the exception of Kings of Leon)

The prices have a bit of an impact but I think everything would have quickly sold if it wasn’t for the above. 
    Post edited by drfox on
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,835
    prl said:
    Well done my fellow european fans! It was really hard, but I decided to sit this one out. I love travelling to see them but I can't justify paying absurdly high prices to see them in places I've been several times now. Travelling to new places and combining that with music that I love was an amazing reason to go see PJ, but that's over I guess. 

I'll admit I'm shocked to see basically everyshow not only still on sale, but very far from selling out. Hopefully the message will get up there loud and clear. Just to see how things were I went to check the tickets available. How is it possible that section 106 in Manchester in considered Premium and is going for £192.30?!

If you zoom in on those blue areas this image is fairly misleading. In some of those sections there are 2 seats left. Yes there are some rows right at the very back availalable in 309-312 but on the whole the arena is pretty close to a sell out
  • Options
    drfox said:
    I still can’t understand why they think they will sell out these venues at £160 when Foo Fighters, Green Day, AC/DC and the Killers are all charging around £80-95 a ticket at exactly the same time…. Green Day is playing at Wembley the same night as PJ at Spurs for half the price. Why do they need to charge this amount when others don’t. Makes absolute no sense and the lack of sales at London, Berlin and Barcelona is to be expected. I’m going to 4 shows but I can see why lots of fans are boycotting it. 
    Do you really compare GreenDay to PJ?
  • Options
    prl said:

Because it is the last seat in a 100 section.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,043
    drfox said:
    I still can’t understand why they think they will sell out these venues at £160 when Foo Fighters, Green Day, AC/DC and the Killers are all charging around £80-95 a ticket at exactly the same time…. Green Day is playing at Wembley the same night as PJ at Spurs for half the price. Why do they need to charge this amount when others don’t. Makes absolute no sense and the lack of sales at London, Berlin and Barcelona is to be expected. I’m going to 4 shows but I can see why lots of fans are boycotting it. 
    Like them or not they have fans they love both bands and need to make a choice for the same night
  • Options
    drfox said:
    Personally no, PJ are in a different league. However recently Green Day is a bigger band than PJ in Europe (probably driven by them touring more and delivering more records) and there is certainly an overlap in fans. I would 100% have bought a ticket to see them and only didn’t because of the tour rumour page in this forum 
  • Options
    I mean..Dookie has been certified diamond for 10 million + units sold, same as Ten. 

As for ticket sales this tour - am I wrong to think that Europe is the only leg that's not selling great? It seems like most shows in the US and Australia / NZ have sold out. So are the tickets prices higher in Europe than the other legs?

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options
    pdalowsky said:
    On checking London has sold pretty strongly so far. Yes the upper tier across from the stage isnt great but almost all lower level is gone, and the sides are heavily taken on tier 2. Id say thats pretty solid for a stadium show, at the prices in question and with Green day already sold out at Wembley. Whole chunks of the lower level have never gone on sale. Think it's Tm holding them back. 
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,263
    pdalowsky said:
    I believe these shows will eventually sell out - or very close to. 

I sincerely hope so, otherwise where would be the appeal for Pj to return to these shores again and do another tour? 

I look forward to this band touring - the interest in the tour rumours on this site pretty much showed I am not the only one with it garnering over 1,000,000 views. Its always a highlight of the year so I really hope the band get the audiences they expect regardless of the pricing levels. 

I think the timing of the tour announcement was an issue (particularly with so many artists touring this summer).

Even if these shows don't sell out, but they make their guarantee in sales, they'll keep coming back so long as there are more of them interested in travel/touring that those that don't want to. 

The demand will always be there for them, that's not dropped. The hits that the various TM sites took on Friday will confirm that as well. The thing for their management will be to understand why so many of those hits didn't result in a purchase, compared to previous tours, and what they would have been expecting. 

Announcing after literally every other stadium/arena tour (other than that released by KoL) was clearly a fail, not least because people were expecting it and looking to plan their summers. Another lesson for the new management to learn from perhaps. 

The shows themselves should be excellent as always. Nobody has any doubt over that. 
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,263
    pdalowsky said:
    On checking London has sold pretty strongly so far. Yes the upper tier across from the stage isnt great but almost all lower level is gone, and the sides are heavily taken on tier 2. Id say thats pretty solid for a stadium show, at the prices in question and with Green day already sold out at Wembley. 
    The only thing I guess we don't know is whether any rows/blocks from the sides have been held back? That's usually part of the practice with variable pricing, drip feed supply against the demand to keep it high. If the picture we're seeing is accurate, they've done very well.
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    Zen23Zen23 Posts: 400
    pdalowsky said:
    Don't be fooled by the Ticketmaster graphic. As if they had suddenly sold the entire left and right curves in the upper tier overnight. And then with a surgically precise cut along the remaining blue dots. They've taken the outer top corners completely off sale. In order to concentrate on getting the tickets to the people in other areas first. None of this was sold at all.

• Options
    PJNB said:
    drfox said:
    Like them or not they have fans they love both bands and need to make a choice for the same night
    If Green Day released their tickets even before Pearl Jam announced and made people aware of their tour(?), for many it wasn't even a choice to make.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited February 26
    PJNB said:
    drfox said:
    If Green Day released their tickets even before Pearl Jam announced and made people aware of their tour(?), for many it wasn't even a choice to make.
    I think it all factors in. Sticker shock and late timing of the announcement are the two main reasons. I still find it pretty funny how many posters in here where defending the band for making it a world tour announcement and for European fans to suck it up. 

Prague 2018 was close to a sellout if not sold out if I remember right. 2021 Pragues sales were right up there with what is happening to Barcelona right now.  The market is just not there in some cities. 
  • Options
    Zen23 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    Don't be fooled by the Ticketmaster graphic. As if they had suddenly sold the entire left and right curves in the upper tier overnight. And then with a surgically precise cut along the remaining blue dots. They've taken the outer top corners completely off sale. In order to concentrate on getting the tickets to the people in other areas first. None of this was sold at all.

They did this with Fresno in 2022 as well.

Hide how bad it is selling. Make tickets appear to be more scarce. Try to squeeze as many ticket sales at the current price point as they can then lower the price even more. This will piss people off that can't sell their tickets in the future because they won't be allowed to drop the resales price. 
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,745
    Wonder if they are kicking themselves now for the registration crap. The bots would surly have purchased many of these tickets in all the venues
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 869
    Do you think they would move the date to not conflict with Green Day show?  Maybe generate more ticket sales that way.  There is a gap between shows which im sure was originally planned to add extra dates.

Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • Options
    MRMACPHISTO75MRMACPHISTO75 Posts: 397
    edited February 26
    Looking at the gap between Manchester and Spurs I Personally think they probably had 2 nights in Manchester pencilled in, but due to the slower than usual sales have decided not to add the second night. Only reason I can think of for quite a big gap in English (not UK) dates
    Post edited by MRMACPHISTO75 on
    4784495 - Thomas 9
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    drfox said:
    True, if I didn’t read the tour comments on here I wouldn’t have kept the Manchester date free and general fans would have just seen Green Day and nothing on that weekend and bought tickets. As Green Day is sold out you had to make a quick choice to buy on the on sale date, or miss out. Even if you knew PJ were “possibly” touring around that time, it wasn’t set in stone, so possibly not a risk fans of both bands would want to take
    4784495 - Thomas 9
  • Options
    Looking at the gap between Manchester and Spurs I Personally think, they probably had 2 nights in Manchester pencilled in, but due to the slower than usual sales have decided not to add the second night. Only reason I can think of for quite a big gap in English (not UK) dates
    They should add a second Manchester date. It will fill.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,403
    kaw753 said:
    Soybeans said:
    willwall said:
    I’m so happy that this has backfired on them. 

Things that are ok in the US, doesn’t mean it’s ok to do here. 

Manchester is 50% sold. London is easily less than 50% sold. You reap what you sow at the end of the day.

Those saying it’s not the band and that they are entirely blameless are wrong. They’ll know what’s going on. At least Springsteen had the bottle to come out and own up to the Dynamic pricing and what he was doing. 

Can see a lot of these shows being reduced or even on offer in a few weeks time.
    Is already happening. The prices for Barcelona are coming down. Barcelona uppers down $30, lowers have come down by $50.

But it's too late for many. Scanning the sad comments on the socials, it's clear that our proud Spanish PJ brothers and sisters are done. Sadly,  I have to hope these arenas remain half empty at show time. 
    If its half empty the show gets cancelled. Be careful what you wish for if you have tix
    If they cancel a show due to poor ticket sales because the prices are too high, you don't think the fans who have booked travel and vacation time from work might be just a bit upset? 
    Pearl Jam have always survived upset fans. They know what the power balance is.
    The fan/customer holds the purse strings and yet...
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,887
    drfox said:
    Looking at the gap between Manchester and Spurs I Personally think, they probably had 2 nights in Manchester pencilled in, but due to the slower than usual sales have decided not to add the second night. Only reason I can think of for quite a big gap in English (not UK) dates
    They should add a second Manchester date. It will fill.

Yep, hoping for a second night in Manchester too!
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    I would love to go to either UK show, but Manchester and Tottenham are not great for me (self employed - work commitments etc),  I had tickets in the initial draw but cancelled them before the draw was done - 2 x tickets plus hotel and food etc would set me back £500 at least.  I simply couldn't justify the expense.  I am not upset about the ticket prices - I run a pub and my overheads have more than doubled in the last couple of years.  I hate to think how much a concert/tour cost to put on these days, but it safe to assume that the costs have probably doubled too.  I am surprised that they did not do Birmingham or Milton Keynes, both are easy to get to and hotels etc would be much more reasonable than London. Probably cheaper venues to book too.  Tottenham stadium is not the easiest venue to get to, parking is crap and the tube stations aren't that close.  Wembley and the Olympic stadium are all much better connected, even Hyde park is easy to get in and out of.  As a side, the London gig will probably have Tottenham Hotspur themed merch which will be tough to shift as English football fans are not going to wear anything that looks remotely spurs like unless they support spurs.  
  • Options
    rangers72rangers72 lockerbie.uk Posts: 148
    Better to have a Glasgow show than a second Machester show.A show at the hydro would sell out no problem and after 24 years mabye its time for Scottish show.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,835
    rangers72 said:
    Better to have a Glasgow show than a second Machester show.A show at the hydro would sell out no problem and after 24 years mabye its time for Scottish show.
    In terms of logistics it would just be easier for them not to move the production up north to come down south again, set it up and play two nights in the same venue....winner
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 2,023
    edited February 26
    to be honest i just dont want them to cancel either the 2nd barcelona night or 2nd berlin night , i could care less if its not sold out or not

it would be a huge slap in the face of fans that travel and have tickets for the 2nd night in mind alongside with hotels for that one night , if u know what i mean
    Post edited by just_one on
  • Options
    edited February 26
    pdalowsky said:
    rangers72 said:
    In terms of logistics it would just be easier for them not to move the production up north to come down south again, set it up and play two nights in the same venue....winner
    The gap between the shows in the U.K. is odd.  Not going to happen but wouldn’t it be great if they could do a 10c only show on the Wednesday or Thursday night at a smaller venue somewhere 
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 2,023
    edited February 26
    drfox said:
    pdalowsky said:
    rangers72 said:
    The gap between the shows in the U.K. is odd.  Not going to happen but wouldn’t it be great if they could do a 10c only show on the Wednesday or Thursday night at a smaller venue somewhere 
    i actually thought about starting a petition for a 10c only show in london on june 28th. They know every member who was won tickets , give them a plus one and a window to buy tickets. Then sell the rest.

u guys think it could work?
    Post edited by just_one on
  • Options
    GW2553GW2553 AMORICA Posts: 64
    rangers72 said:
    Aye!