European Tour Sales = Desaster

Comments

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,319
    SB51117 said:
    "Uneven Cash Flow"

Bob Lefsetz's take on the situation:
    https://lefsetz.com/wordpress/
    That guy has a lot of half-baked opinions. I read the Timberlake piece before the one that's ostensibly about Pearl Jam. Both articles had me scratching my head quite a bit. Anyway, his line about "running on fumes, out playing your greatest hits"-- was that supposed to be referring back to Pearl Jam? He uses this line after a paragraph about Noah Kahan, but that's obviously not referring to Kahan. It's certainly not a fair description of Pearl Jam's live performances in 2024. I don't think many people who attended shows on the first leg of the tour felt like they saw a band running on fumes, and fully a third of the material was brand-new from a just-released album, and another third or so were album tracks that no one could describe as greatest hits.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
    Zen23 said:
    seanclax said:
    benjs said:
    seanclax said:
    benjs said:
    seanclax said:
    vedpunk said:
    Ten Club membership is only $35 who cares.  People need to reset their expectations.  

If I win TC lotto once every six years, that’s $210 added to a ticket cost. 

If that’s nothing to you, please Venmo it to  me.
    Cancel your membership and stop whinging on here.
    Nobody cares

Was this really necessary? This thread is 33 pages long and the dominant discussion is ticket costs. Clearly some care. 
    I forgot that 10 club membership s only about obtaining tickets for some people

Get off your high horse and ask anyone outside of the US about the non-ticket 'benefits' we get - even those of us just north of the border. After years of spending as much on shipping from 10C as the products themselves, and being offered every piece of merchandise under the sun, I'm glad my addiction is over. I wouldn't be surprised if EV's hair plugs are on sale shortly.

As for dynamic pricing - it's in effect because the band okay'ed it. Sturgill Simpson is an example of actually giving a shit about this. His tour opted out of dynamic pricing, and only allows face-value resale. 

What's nice to see, is that Europeans have a 'sanity ceiling' clearly. The more fans excuse the high prices rather than opting out with their wallets, the more the band/business knows they can go higher.
    Imagine being in a forum of a band you clearly hate
    Imagine being in a forum of a band you clearly let get away with everything blindly.
    What exactly are these rogues "get[ting] away with"?
    benjs said:
    seanclax said:
    benjs said:
    seanclax said:
    benjs said:
    seanclax said:
    vedpunk said:
    Ten Club membership is only $35 who cares.  People need to reset their expectations.  

Nobody cares

Was this really necessary? This thread is 33 pages long and the dominant discussion is ticket costs. Clearly some care. 

Get off your high horse and ask anyone outside of the US about the non-ticket 'benefits' we get - even those of us just north of the border. After years of spending as much on shipping from 10C as the products themselves, and being offered every piece of merchandise under the sun, I'm glad my addiction is over. I wouldn't be surprised if EV's hair plugs are on sale shortly.

As for dynamic pricing - it's in effect because the band okay'ed it. Sturgill Simpson is an example of actually giving a shit about this. His tour opted out of dynamic pricing, and only allows face-value resale. 

What's nice to see, is that Europeans have a 'sanity ceiling' clearly. The more fans excuse the high prices rather than opting out with their wallets, the more the band/business knows they can go higher.
    I make very few posts in Porch or Given to Fly. I enjoy talking politics with the fine folks in A Moving Train. I agree with you - each year that goes by, I ask myself whether the membership fee is worth it for forum access essentially.
    You must have a different kind of membership than mine. My membership allowed me to participate in a lottery that gave me the opportunity to get fantastic seats to a bunch of shows. It was a really great benefit.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,136
    BF25394 said:
    SB51117 said:
    "Uneven Cash Flow"

That guy has a lot of half-baked opinions. I read the Timberlake piece before the one that's ostensibly about Pearl Jam. Both articles had me scratching my head quite a bit. Anyway, his line about "running on fumes, out playing your greatest hits"-- was that supposed to be referring back to Pearl Jam? He uses this line after a paragraph about Noah Kahan, but that's obviously not referring to Kahan. It's certainly not a fair description of Pearl Jam's live performances in 2024. I don't think many people who attended shows on the first leg of the tour felt like they saw a band running on fumes, and fully a third of the material was brand-new from a just-released album, and another third or so were album tracks that no one could describe as greatest hits.
    I wasn't familiar with this guy. His prose is all over the place.
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    SB51117 said:
    "Uneven Cash Flow"

That's a good way of putting it.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    SB51117 said:
    "Uneven Cash Flow"

That's a good way of putting it.
    When I was reading it I kept hearing the voice of Andy Rooney from 60 Minutes. 
  • Zen23Zen23 Posts: 453
    BF25394 said:
    Zen23 said:
    seanclax said:
    benjs said:
    seanclax said:
    benjs said:
    seanclax said:
    vedpunk said:

Nobody cares

Imagine being in a forum of a band you clearly let get away with everything blindly.
    What exactly are these rogues "get[ting] away with"?
    I was just trying to find a harsh contrast to his original "hate" formulation. It was less about the content and more about hitting him over the head with his wording. I didn't succeed so well. 
  • Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Posts: 1,061
    Watts in Uk based on his Instagram so expect him to pop up at Manchester and/or London 
  • stonesstones Posts: 276
    Watts in Uk based on his Instagram so expect him to pop up at Manchester and/or London 
    That would be OK with me.  They did a great version of RVM with him in LA and he and Stone seem to have a lot of fun together on stage.

• My wife and I just paid $75 for fish and chips (and sodas) in London. Perhaps that helps explain why some people don't seem to want to pay for concert tickets in this area. 
  • WreckageWreckage Posts: 56
    The price of fish these days is astronomical.

Ballot for free London tickets is now up on Concerts for Carers for those eligble.
  • I must say, however, those were the best fish and chips either of us have ever eaten! 
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,484
    My wife and I just paid $75 for fish and chips (and sodas) in London. Perhaps that helps explain why some people don't seem to want to pay for concert tickets in this area. 
    Where on earth was that?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 178
    Promoters will be hoping England win their group in the Euros - otherwise it could be England vs Spain 8pm kick off next Saturday..
  • axeljohanaxeljohan Posts: 456
    Tjm007 said:
    Promoters will be hoping England win their group in the Euros - otherwise it could be England vs Spain 8pm kick off next Saturday..
    If England finish second in the group, they will play the winner of Group A on next Saturday. This will most likely be Germany. 
  • GW2553GW2553 Posts: 80
    SB51117 said:
    "Uneven Cash Flow"

Interesting take.  Thanks for the link.
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    BF25394 said:
    benjs said:
    seanclax said:
    benjs said:
    seanclax said:
    benjs said:
    seanclax said:
    vedpunk said:

Nobody cares

I make very few posts in Porch or Given to Fly. I enjoy talking politics with the fine folks in A Moving Train. I agree with you - each year that goes by, I ask myself whether the membership fee is worth it for forum access essentially.
    You must have a different kind of membership than mine. My membership allowed me to participate in a lottery that gave me the opportunity to get fantastic seats to a bunch of shows. It was a really great benefit.
    My membership allows me that too. I was speaking about my personal experience, not the masses. I'm certainly in the minority in that my musical tastes have shifted and I've hardly listened to Pearl Jam in two or three years. No sleight against the band, grunge/rock just stopped doing it for me. Maybe it'll come back, maybe it won't.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • belfast1belfast1 Posts: 788
    Always thought that in this life pearl jam tickets were always priced too low - it’s only money anyway and what’s that compared to memories? 😊
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • Philip_IrelandPhilip_Ireland Posts: 663
    edited June 21
    belfast1 said:
    Always thought that in this life pearl jam tickets were always priced too low - it’s only money anyway and what’s that compared to memories? 😊
    I could not disagree more. “It’s only money” if you are rich. Right now, most of Europe is going through a cost of living crisis and it was very stupid to charge so much for tickets. Memories are tarnished by people being ripped off and that is what will happen in the future.  
    Post edited by Philip_Ireland on
  • YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 837
    belfast1 said:
    I could not agree more.  :)

Soldier Field 7-11-95, Alpine Valley 6-26-98, United Center 6-29-98, Riverport Amphitheater (St. Louis)7-2-98, MGM Grand Arena 10-22-00, Sprint Center (Kansas City)5-3-10, Adams Event Center (Missoula)9-30-12, Wrigley Field 7-19-13, Jobing.com Arena (Phoenix)11-19-13, Moda Center (Portland)11-29-13, Spokane Arena 11-30-13, Pepsi Center (Denver)10-22-14, Gila River Arena (Phoenix)5-9-22, Moody Center (Austin)9-18-23, Moody Center 9-19-23, Rogers Arena (Vancouver)5-4-24, Rogers Arena 5-6-24, MGM Grand 5-16-24, MGM Grand 5-18-24, Wrigley Field 8-29-24, Wrigley Field 8-31-24
  • seanclaxseanclax Posts: 546
    axeljohan said:
    Tjm007 said:
    If England finish second in the group, they will play the winner of Group A on next Saturday. This will most likely be Germany. 
    Will be 5pm kick off aswell right.
    That would truly suck 
    If we win the group the group we play Sunday.
    Then off to bed before an early flight to Berlin the next day.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,076
    belfast1 said:
    Let them eat cake
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • False_BeliefFalse_Belief Posts: 763
    edited June 22
    belfast1 said:

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,862
    belfast1 said:
    I could not disagree more. “It’s only money” if you are rich. Right now, most of Europe is going through a cost of living crisis and it was very stupid to charge so much for tickets. Memories are tarnished by people being ripped off and that is what will happen in the future.  
    How are you being ripped off if you have a choice to buy the tickets or not. Who is forcing you to buy anything? 
  • I totally agree with Belfast1. When I'm 90 years old, I don't want to be thinking about how I should've attended additional concerts, but at least I saved a few hundred dollars instead. 
  • Right now I'm on a double decker bus going from Cork to Dublin to see the Pearl Jam show today, and nobody at all is complaining about the ticket prices. Everybody's just happy to be here. 
  • Zen23Zen23 Posts: 453
    That's how it should be on show day. 
  • fiofitzfiofitz Posts: 20
    edited June 22
    I totally agree with Belfast1. When I'm 90 years old, I don't want to be thinking about how I should've attended additional concerts, but at least I saved a few hundred dollars instead. 
    Exactly. 

Feck the money, memories are way more important. 

Hope everyone going enjoys the day, I am as excited as I was 31 years ago when I first saw them 😃
    Post edited by fiofitz on
  • Right on, fiofitz, right on. 
  • Philip_IrelandPhilip_Ireland Posts: 663
    belfast1 said:
    How are you being ripped off if you have a choice to buy the tickets or not. Who is forcing you to buy anything? 
    Of course you have a choice! All I’m saying is the tickets are way too expensive and that is showing in poor ticket sales for shows.