Options

European Tour Sales = Desaster

Comments

• Options
    holo92holo92 Posts: 182
    Or that different sections have fair (different) prices.
    Not like f.e. Berlin 2024, where you have a nearly unsold upper area for the same high price as close to the stage (when the sale started on Friday).

06/15/92, 08/14/95, 11/03/96, 09/11/98, 06/11/00, 06/23/00, 06/25/00, 06/18/03, 06/21/03, 09/28/04,
    09/02/05, 09/04/05, 09/05/05, 09/16/06, 09/17/06, 09/19/06, 09/22/06, 09/23/06, 06/12/07, 06/18/07,
    06/21/07, 06/23/07, 06/24/08, 06/25/08, 08/15/09, 08/18/09, 06/30/10, 09/03/11, 09/04/11, 07/02/12,
    07/04/12, 07/07/12, 06/16/14, 06/17/14, 06/26/14, 08/05/16, 08/07/16, 07/01/18, 07/03/18, 07/05/18,
    09/02/18, 09/04/18, 06/21/22, 06/28/22, 07/14/22
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,594
    Green disease 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    My wife and I were excited to do Berlin and Barcelona back when the rumors came. We waited for the announcement and saw flight prices double. Couple that with ticket prices doubling. Sitting this one out because it went from “this is what I love and what I spend my money on” to “this would be irresponsible of the parents of two young kids to blow a Roth IRA on four concerts.” 
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,593
    edited February 25
    Fact is prices have now DOUBLED since last tour and even harder for fans to get tickets.  If prices went to say £90 - even £100. I think that would still be reasonably acceptable - if we had a heads up prices were a bit more due to touring costs etc - and if 10c members still was a guarantee of tickets (at least in your city / state). 

But tickets aren't £100, even £120 - but £160 per ticket (at the very cheapest) is a MASSIVE jump - especially no heads up or warning about it.

Yes I'm going to the London show (just the one when they have EASILY could have sold out 2 nights at the O2 / Wembley arena if tickets were around £80-100 mark.) - just makes no sense to me. Im going but not really hyped about this one.  The only silver lining would be a 10c london show ;)
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,445
    SHZA said:
    An instant sell out is an indicator that prices were way too low 
    Weird thinking. I‘d say it’s an indicator of fair prices 
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,165
    I still can’t understand why they think they will sell out these venues at £160 when Foo Fighters, Green Day, AC/DC and the Killers are all charging around £80-95 a ticket at exactly the same time…. Green Day is playing at Wembley the same night as PJ at Spurs for half the price. Why do they need to charge this amount when others don’t. Makes absolute no sense and the lack of sales at London, Berlin and Barcelona is to be expected. I’m going to 4 shows but I can see why lots of fans are boycotting it. 
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,263
    JPPJ84 said:
    SHZA said:
    Our ticket markets in Europe work very differently to North America. Let's hope they don't go the same way. 
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 2,007
    ilockyer said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    SHZA said:
    Our ticket markets in Europe work very differently to North America. Let's hope they don't go the same way. 
    Generalising, I think people in the US are more comfortable with a pure capitalist model of to maximising commercial returns at every opportunity. In Europe, I think there’s more emphasis on a ‘win-win’ model, where in this instance the band can earn what it needs to whilst not taking every dollar possible out of the fans pockets. We see this  in football for example, where most clubs try to balance sporting success and finance, whilst maintaining access for their communities and fan bases (some do this better than others).

I know we don’t know the true cost of touring, but the fact that similar acts such as Green Day and Foos are charging way below PJ indicates that PJ are trying to get as much back from these shows as possible. It just goes against the principles and behaviour of the band up to this point, I always felt they looked after us well. 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,508
    tino_11 said:
    ilockyer said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    SHZA said:
    Generalising, I think people in the US are more comfortable with a pure capitalist model of to maximising commercial returns at every opportunity. In Europe, I think there’s more emphasis on a ‘win-win’ model, where in this instance the band can earn what it needs to whilst not taking every dollar possible out of the fans pockets. We see this  in football for example, where most clubs try to balance sporting success and finance, whilst maintaining access for their communities and fan bases (some do this better than others).

I know we don’t know the true cost of touring, but the fact that similar acts such as Green Day and Foos are charging way below PJ indicates that PJ are trying to get as much back from these shows as possible. It just goes against the principles and behaviour of the band up to this point, I always felt they looked after us well. 
    The fact that they misjudged the market this badly is a real head scratcher. Presumably they didn't come up with these prices out of thin air. I would think pricing is set in consultation with experts in the ticketing markets in these areas. Hard to understand why they would be so out of line with Foos, Green Day et al. 
  • Options
    Is there any chance that we can get a statement from the band?
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,396
    A few things:

I had no idea Europe concert prices were fundamentally cheaper than N.A.   I was pretty happy that Vancouver prices weren't a straight up FX of Seattle prices.  Vancouver ones seem to be some of the best in N.A.

The other, as people mentioned, is that it's not like when we were younger.  The goal is no longer to sell all the tickets immediately.  It's to earn as much revenue from the ticket as possible.   Promoters used to want to blow out all the tickets immediately, so they weren't caught holding the bag.   Now they can start higher, and lower the price until they move.

I was completely shocked at a Pumpkins show 2 years ago, where it looked like it was half sold out up leading to the show, and we get there, and they've almost sold out an NHL sized arena.  Didn't think I'd see them do that again, but I found out the drastically lowered the price of tickets a few days before the show.

The newer way of doing things is good for locals and people that don't have to plan travel, but it sucks for those of us that have to travel to bigger places for shows :(
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 859
    edited February 25
    drfox said:
    I still can’t understand why they think they will sell out these venues at £160 when Foo Fighters, Green Day, AC/DC and the Killers are all charging around £80-95 a ticket at exactly the same time…. Green Day is playing at Wembley the same night as PJ at Spurs for half the price. Why do they need to charge this amount when others don’t. Makes absolute no sense and the lack of sales at London, Berlin and Barcelona is to be expected. I’m going to 4 shows but I can see why lots of fans are boycotting it. 
    It's quite simple.....Foo Fighters, Green Day and ACDC are playing more shows to more people than Pearl Jam.  Pearl Jam needs to maximize the return on a European tour that is only 7 (solo) shows long.  These shows will all be sold out or close to sold out as prices adjust before show time.  
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    drfox said:
    It's quite simple.....Foo Fighters, Green Day and ACDC are playing more shows to more people than Pearl Jam.  Pearl Jam needs to maximize the return on a European tour that is only 7 (solo) shows long.  These shows will all be sold out or close to sold out as prices adjust before show time.  
    For all the arguments of right and wrong, the only thing clear is that PJ don’t need to maximise prices, it’s a choice they’ve made with their promoters.
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,165
    vedpunk said:
    drfox said:
    If that’s the case, in hindsight they should probably have added a second Manchester show and extended the tour by a week or two to fit in a few Dutch and Italian shows, and knocked the price down by £40 a ticket. They wouldn’t have had these issues at all if they’d done that 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,199
    tino_11 said:
    ilockyer said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    SHZA said:

That is great about Foos and Green Day in Europe. Here I paid $217.50 for a Foo Fighter's GA, and $288.75 for a lower level Green Day. Both were standard prices (not premium or resale). However, the upper levels for both were cheaper. This is NYC
  • Options
    I’ve got Foo Fighters GA for £90 in London, a week before PJ plays there. Then again, average salary is £42k in London and I imagine this is much higher in NYC. Maybe they did some basic maths on disposable income levels? 
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,263
    edited February 25
    SHZA said:
    tino_11 said:
    ilockyer said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    SHZA said:

The fact that they misjudged the market this badly is a real head scratcher. Presumably they didn't come up with these prices out of thin air. I would think pricing is set in consultation with experts in the ticketing markets in these areas. Hard to understand why they would be so out of line with Foos, Green Day et al. 
    The last tour was largely organised by Kelly Curtis before he retired, maybe his replacement hasn't had any experience dealing with the booking side of things with promoters for a European tour? Mark Smith was the bands tour manager before, according to the articles around the time Kelly Curtis retired, so would've just been concerned with herding cats and making sure they all ended up where they were meant to be, along with all the day to day stuff. Is it possible they just went with "it's what we're doing in the US"?
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    Tom GTom G United Kingdom Posts: 4
    If sales have been poor then dynamic pricing should adjust accordingly?
  • Options
    kilteraghkilteragh Ireland Posts: 13
    Tom G said:

Well that's what it's supposed to mean. The "market price" is supposedly based on demand (not really - it's just price gouging) so by rights if nobody is buying then the price should plummet.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,199
    kilteragh said:
    Tom G said:

Well that's what it's supposed to mean. The "market price" is supposedly based on demand (not really - it's just price gouging) so by rights if nobody is buying then the price should plummet.
    They likely will at some point.

• Options
    kilteraghkilteragh Ireland Posts: 13
    GlowGirl said:
    kilteragh said:
    Tom G said:

They likely will at some point.

Hopefully
  • Options
    SoybeansSoybeans Posts: 246
    tino_11 said:
    ilockyer said:
    SHZA said:
    tino_11 said:
    ilockyer said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    SHZA said:

The last tour was largely organised by Kelly Curtis before he retired, maybe his replacement hasn't had any experience dealing with the booking side of things with promoters for a European tour? Mark Smith was the bands tour manager before, according to the articles around the time Kelly Curtis retired, so would've just been concerned with herding cats and making sure they all ended up where they were meant to be, along with all the day to day stuff. Is it possible they just went with "it's what we're doing in the US"?

time.  
    For all the arguments of right and wrong, the only thing clear is that PJ don’t need to maximise prices, it’s a choice they’ve made with their promoters.
    Spot on with calling out the timing of this. I have faith that the not-so-new, new manager, Mark "Smitty" Smith has our best interest in mind. I mean,  the guy has been with the band for years. He is practically part of this community. We've certainly been good consumers and spiritual brethren all the while he's been under the employ of PJ Corp (that's a "Boss Baby" reference. Sorry,  I have kids)..! Anyway,  I'm sure he is keeping the Faithful in mind when managing the tour, pricing,  venues etc.  Any good business person knows that sustainability is as important as year over year ( or tour over tour) growth. 
    90 shows and counting...some of my favs: Randall's Island night 2, Milwaukee '95 night 2, Hawaii '06, St Johns '05, PJ20!
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,835
    I believe these shows will eventually sell out - or very close to. 

I sincerely hope so, otherwise where would be the appeal for Pj to return to these shores again and do another tour? 

I look forward to this band touring - the interest in the tour rumours on this site pretty much showed I am not the only one with it garnering over 1,000,000 views. Its always a highlight of the year so I really hope the band get the audiences they expect regardless of the pricing levels. 

I think the timing of the tour announcement was an issue (particularly with so many artists touring this summer), and the £ to $ rate certainly hurts things on the pricing side for the Uk generally (although that hasn't been too strong at all since the Brexit vote). But then if they announced sales just before Xmas there would likely have been a backlash there too. Its often a case of damned if you do damned if you don't. 

• Options
    Green disease 
    The Greenest of diseases
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,468
    edited February 26
    kaw753 said:
    Soybeans said:
    willwall said:
    I’m so happy that this has backfired on them. 

Things that are ok in the US, doesn’t mean it’s ok to do here. 

Manchester is 50% sold. London is easily less than 50% sold. You reap what you sow at the end of the day.

Those saying it’s not the band and that they are entirely blameless are wrong. They’ll know what’s going on. At least Springsteen had the bottle to come out and own up to the Dynamic pricing and what he was doing. 

Can see a lot of these shows being reduced or even on offer in a few weeks time.
    Is already happening. The prices for Barcelona are coming down. Barcelona uppers down $30, lowers have come down by $50.

But it's too late for many. Scanning the sad comments on the socials, it's clear that our proud Spanish PJ brothers and sisters are done. Sadly,  I have to hope these arenas remain half empty at show time. 
    If its half empty the show gets cancelled. Be careful what you wish for if you have tix
    If they cancel a show due to poor ticket sales because the prices are too high, you don't think the fans who have booked travel and vacation time from work might be just a bit upset? 
    Pearl Jam have always survived upset fans. They know what the power balance is.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Zen23Zen23 Posts: 400
    pdalowsky said:

I sincerely hope so, otherwise where would be the appeal for Pj to return to these shores again and do another tour? 
    I have the feeling that we'll have to wait a lot longer for another European tour after all this action than before.
  • Options
    Gregeje76 said:
    now 1st significant price drop for Berlin at Eventim. Upper section outer right and left for 127€ instead 175€ before……
    Put PJ does not communicate ont Eventim sales. Only Ticketmastin on their tour section. Cannot understand that
  • Options
    If they WANT TO play in Europe, I doubt they are unable to. And make a profit. Without sucking fans dry,.

If the sole purpose is to take concert goers for all that they are worth, then sure - maybe there is no reason. And then I would be fine with them not selling out.
  • Options
    willwall said:
    I’m so happy that this has backfired on them. 

Things that are ok in the US, doesn’t mean it’s ok to do here. 

Manchester is 50% sold. London is easily less than 50% sold. You reap what you sow at the end of the day.

Those saying it’s not the band and that they are entirely blameless are wrong. They’ll know what’s going on. At least Springsteen had the bottle to come out and own up to the Dynamic pricing and what he was doing. 

Can see a lot of these shows being reduced or even on offer in a few weeks time.

Where have you seen that the Manchester show is only 50% sold?
    Total Bullshit
    Seat tickets are more than 75% solde
    Standing sales should be good, while pricing is more 200€ now.

Different in London. Many seats still available
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,835
    On checking London has sold pretty strongly so far. Yes the upper tier across from the stage isnt great but almost all lower level is gone, and the sides are heavily taken on tier 2. Id say thats pretty solid for a stadium show, at the prices in question and with Green day already sold out at Wembley.