Options

Ticket prices. This is not for you (the fans).

Comments

• Options
    LostDog_72LostDog_72 London Posts: 74
    I've been a 10C member off and on for ten years now (I am aware that this is not the longest membership, but this isn't a measuring contest) and I am absolutely appalled by the prices of tickets for this tour.  The one thing that always stood PJ apart from all other bands was its connection to the fans, the determination to make it as great an experience as could be and the refusal to let its fans be ripped off and exploited in the name of capitalism (See PJ vs Ticketmaster).

The best example of this has always been the Ten Club, where we get rewarded for our loyalty by being allowed to buy tickets at a reasonable price, right down the front where the proper fans are, without needing to pay an absolute fortune for the privilege. These tickets for the Dark Matters tour UK dates are £160. ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY POUNDS. The cheapest tickets in the house are £120.

Pearl Jam, you have completely lost your way.  You are not the band of the people that you once were, you will have lost the respect of thousands of fans with this blatant profiteering and the fact that you are doing this alongside Ticketmaster, of all companies, is frankly insulting.

I for one, will not be renewing my membership next time around and will be interested to see how many others will also leave.

I'm just disappointed.

I thought you were going to complain about PJ Premium and pay $1,000 for a ticket.  But complaining about $200 a ticket.  We adapt in life and this is one of those things you adapt to.  
    I have adapted by not buying a ticket. Judging by the huge numbers of available tickets still available for London, a lot of other people have adapted as well.

This has been said a lot on this forum over the past few days - just because a $200 ticket is acceptable in the US, it doesn't mean that it is OK to hike prices to £160 / €175 in Europe. That is NOT the norm and it is not acceptable to people - poor ticket sales are the proof of this.

When has it ever been the case that 7+ hours after PJ tickets are released to the general public, there are standing tickets still available? In all the years I have been trying to buy PJ tickets for Europe, they have all gone in a matter of minutes.
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,986
    edited February 23
    I've been a 10C member off and on for ten years now (I am aware that this is not the longest membership, but this isn't a measuring contest) and I am absolutely appalled by the prices of tickets for this tour.  The one thing that always stood PJ apart from all other bands was its connection to the fans, the determination to make it as great an experience as could be and the refusal to let its fans be ripped off and exploited in the name of capitalism (See PJ vs Ticketmaster).

The best example of this has always been the Ten Club, where we get rewarded for our loyalty by being allowed to buy tickets at a reasonable price, right down the front where the proper fans are, without needing to pay an absolute fortune for the privilege. These tickets for the Dark Matters tour UK dates are £160. ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY POUNDS. The cheapest tickets in the house are £120.

Pearl Jam, you have completely lost your way.  You are not the band of the people that you once were, you will have lost the respect of thousands of fans with this blatant profiteering and the fact that you are doing this alongside Ticketmaster, of all companies, is frankly insulting.

I for one, will not be renewing my membership next time around and will be interested to see how many others will also leave.

I'm just disappointed.

I thought you were going to complain about PJ Premium and pay $1,000 for a ticket.  But complaining about $200 a ticket.  We adapt in life and this is one of those things you adapt to.  
    This has been said a lot on this forum over the past few days - just because a $200 ticket is acceptable in the US, it doesn't mean that it is OK to hike prices to £160 / €175 in Europe. That is NOT the norm and it is not acceptable to people - poor ticket sales are the proof of this.

When has it ever been the case that 7+ hours after PJ tickets are released to the general public, there are standing tickets still available? In all the years I have been trying to buy PJ tickets for Europe, they have all gone in a matter of minutes.
    this!!

London has loads of tickets left , barcelona aswell
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 75
    I really wish people would stop blaming the band for the cost of goods and services in 2024. I’d be willing to bet that they are not making much more profit per show than what they were 10 or more years ago. It takes significant infrastructure to put on a tour that travels the world, and these prices actually compares favorably to many other concert experiences. 
     I'd take you up on that bet, easily. 

But it's not like either of us can prove we're right. 
  • Options
    andrew68andrew68 Toronto Posts: 1,792
    i think they did a much better job this tour than the last 
    Any new realizations... would have to wait...
    Til he had more time,... more time...
    Time to dream,... to himself... he waves goodbye,
    To himself... I'll see you on the other side...
  • Options

I'm just disappointed.

I have adapted by not buying a ticket. Judging by the huge numbers of available tickets still available for London, a lot of other people have adapted as well.

YES, LOSTDOG! I honestly reckon they'll have to stick them on sale prices to sell it out.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 75
    The Cure had NO Platinums/premium tickets, Fan2Fan resale only (except where prohibited by law, of course) and $50 nosebleeds in all the venues they played in the US. 
    If The Cure can do that, PJ can do (along with many other artists). They choose not to. That's fine, it is what it is, and everyone in a capitalist system like ours should have their shot at making $$$.

But let's call a spade a spade, shall we?
  • Options
    InHiding_InEuropeInHiding_InEurope Brussels Posts: 22
    There are tons of tickets (175 Euros) in the upper part for both shows in Berlin still available on eventim.de. Via ticketmaster or live-nation you can just access the lower part/premium seats of Waldbühne. There seems to be no transparent information on that nowhere.
    1996 Barcelona - 2009 Berlin - 2010 Berlin - 2014 Berlin - 2017 EV Amsterdam 3 - 2018 Amsterdam 1+2, Pinkpop, Barcelona - 2019 EV Amsterdam 1, EV Brussels - 2022 Berlin - Frankfurt - Amsterdam
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,473
    tino_11 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    They definitely out punted their coverage this tour as evident by the amount of tickets left for the european shows.  Literally thousands of unsold tickets.  
    Yes, big time. They've not taken into account that in Europe we are paid less and therefore there's less disposable income to spend on tickets. This isn't just for concerts, we pay less for sports tickets and even the cinema, compared to the US. 

We started to see the cracks last tour where Budapest didn't sell out because prices were almost on par with Western Europe. 

10c prices were absolutely pushing it but when you see the premium prices today and there's no wonder so many seats are available. I think we'll see a sharp drop in the coming months but this has left a bad taste in the mouth. I've always appreciated what PJ stood for as well as their music but we've moved into a new era. 
    The European economy also has not recovered from COVID as well as the American economy has.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    edited February 23
    joswald21 said:
    Just spent $2500 on 4 tickets in Philly. #### YOU Eddie
    One pair 40% more than the other for similar location? Scalpers pricing is more ethical.
    Who do you guys think you're ####### kidding? Don't #### a ####### man. There's not much more disrepectful...
    Why did you pay that: A) if the price is so offensive and B ) with the shows not happening until September and prices subject to change?
    Post edited by BF25394 on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,661
    I'm a bit appalled myself. I happened to see my old 2013 10C tix in my account. A PAIR of GA tix for $156 CAD. Holy fuck.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,958
    Price points are real. I look at the $350 price per pair at Fenway differently than the $402 I paid for Baltimore. Most of that difference is tax, but $400 per pair is pushing it. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options

I'm just disappointed.

Eddie in SPIN Magazine, January 1995....

If you have a $55 Rolling Stones ticket and there’s a $3 to $6 service charge, okay. But ours was an $18.50 ticket, and now all of a sudden it’s a $24.00 ticket. That’s not right. I just want people to be able to see our shows. It’s extremely important that it’s available to everyone, that if they’d like to attend they’re able to. Also, when you start having $50 tickets, all of a sudden you’re changing your audience. And that’s a frightening thought, playing only to people that can afford a $50 ticket.

With inflation, a $50 ticket in 1995 is now $102 in 2024. Tickets to this tour are double that. Not such a "freighting thought" anymore. 
    I love this reply.  This is exactly the point that I was trying to make.
    The most common answers that I'm getting from people who disagree with me are "Don't buy a ticket then" or "Go watch another band". But that's not the point really, is it? The point is that this is Pearl Jam and Pearl Jam have changed.
    I think that reply is insanity and shows there is not a clear understanding of how inflation works.  Everything is up by that much, cost of equipment, travel costs, crew costs, insurance costs, ticketmaster costs.

1995 pearl jam fans were poor early job stages or teens: minimum wage $4.25 an hour for comparison....

2024 pearl jam fans are in the the peak earning stages of your career between 38 and 55 for the majority of the demographic. 

I think the band does their best to control pricing - Fees are like $30 this tour...so ticket price is actually like $145 or $155...then fees, then tax..

You can vote for less taxation and you can vote to control inflation. So you can be disappointed in the band or you can do something about it.

Inflation is a macroeconomic phenomenon that has very little to do with who is in political power. We had low inflation for about 40 years during periods of both Republican and Democratic control of Congress and the White House. Then, a once-in-a-century economic shock caused by a pandemic created a series of conditions that led to worldwide inflation. Government action contributed something to this, including economic support bills passed by Trump and economic stimulus bills passed by Biden, but the overall inflationary trend was not primarily driven by these actions.

The bottom line: if you vote in November based on the fact that gas and grocery prices are higher than they were four years ago, you're probably not going to get the favorable economic policies you're hoping for from the candidate who was in office four years ago (not to mention that the House has been in Republican control during the Biden presidency).
  • Options
    Came off the waiting list to get VF tickets to Fenway.  Midway in the rear bleachers was about the cheapest available.  2 tickets for $933 total.  W.T.F.  This is INSANE.  Who the fuck are buying these tickets?  Who can afford back of the floor seats for $700+ a piece?
  • Options
    estarr31estarr31 Posts: 569
    The face value tickets aren't the problem here. Everything costs more and these tickets are still in line or below most big acts these days. The only thing that's slightly different is uniform ticket prices for every seat in the house. No discounts for upper bowl for ex. 

The bigger problem is the Premium/dynamic pricing and that's a corporate problem. 
    Mansfield 6/30/08 -  Wrigley Field 7/14/13 -  Worcester I 10/15/13 -  Global Citizen 9/26/15 -  MSG II 5/2/16 -  Fenway I 8/5/16 -  Fenway II 8/7/16 -  Fenway II 9/4/18 - LA I 5/6/22 - LA II 5/7/22 - MSG 9/11/22 - Nashville 9/16/22 - St. Paul I and II 8/31/23-9/2/23
  • Options
    BF25394 said:

Inflation is a macroeconomic phenomenon that has very little to do with who is in political power. We had low inflation for about 40 years during periods of both Republican and Democratic control of Congress and the White House. Then, a once-in-a-century economic shock caused by a pandemic created a series of conditions that led to worldwide inflation. Government action contributed something to this, including economic support bills passed by Trump and economic stimulus bills passed by Biden, but the overall inflationary trend was not primarily driven by these actions.

The bottom line: if you vote in November based on the fact that gas and grocery prices are higher than they were four years ago, you're probably not going to get the favorable economic policies you're hoping for from the candidate who was in office four years ago (not to mention that the House has been in Republican control during the Biden presidency).
    100% correct. Could get a lot worse tho if someone were to be elected and starts passing import taxes like an idiot. 
    Mansfield 6/30/08 -  Wrigley Field 7/14/13 -  Worcester I 10/15/13 -  Global Citizen 9/26/15 -  MSG II 5/2/16 -  Fenway I 8/5/16 -  Fenway II 8/7/16 -  Fenway II 9/4/18 - LA I 5/6/22 - LA II 5/7/22 - MSG 9/11/22 - Nashville 9/16/22 - St. Paul I and II 8/31/23-9/2/23
  • Options
    The ticket prices this time around are insane. Jut tried for the Registration sale and the cheapest ticket is $650 for the Baltimore show....was planning on taking my son to see PJ but I guess at these prices that won't be happening....been listening and following these guys since I was a teenager...what the hell happened for the prices to be this outrageous. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,877
    The ticket prices this time around are insane. Jut tried for the Registration sale and the cheapest ticket is $650 for the Baltimore show....was planning on taking my son to see PJ but I guess at these prices that won't be happening....been listening and following these guys since I was a teenager...what the hell happened for the prices to be this outrageous. 
    I am not a fan of PJ Premiums

But the only reason you are seeing those tickets at all is because of the price they are being sold for. If they were face value you would of had a Sold Out sign on the page when it was your turn to buy. 
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,072
    Corporations rule the day...
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,986
    the amount of unsold tickets for barcelona is haunting , never thought that would happen
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 647

I'm just disappointed.

That's not how much a ticket costs in London. It's all relative, £160 is massively overpriced and that is shown in the thousands of tickets unsold today. They're charging 25% more than AC/DC, a week apart and 60% more than GnR charged two years ago.
    I'm not going to get into a debate about US ticket prices, because I don't live in the US.
    I’d imagine the G n R prices would be more than they were 2 years ago too
  • Options
    The way I'm watching large chunks of tickets become available over time for Fenway has to be Ticketmaster trickling these tickets out to drive these high prices and promote scarcity.
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    kmcmanus said:

I'm just disappointed.

That's not how much a ticket costs in London. It's all relative, £160 is massively overpriced and that is shown in the thousands of tickets unsold today. They're charging 25% more than AC/DC, a week apart and 60% more than GnR charged two years ago.
    I'm not going to get into a debate about US ticket prices, because I don't live in the US.
    But we can also honestly say - as Pearl Jam fans, I think - that your dollar goes further at a Pearl Jam show than a GnR or AC/DC show in 2024. Not all live rock bands are made the same.
  • Options
    lazyjc22lazyjc22 Posts: 128
    Band members have kids to put through college soon.  Anyone looked at THOSE prices, yet?!?!

Best friend who got me into the 10C in the 90's texted me this during the sale this morning (we both got shut out in Philly):
    "The Eddie that raised me would be horrified!" 
  • Options
    This what a lot of Bruce fans complained about last Winter too. I'm not really sure how much control the band has in this. Would love to learn more about the ticketmaster process. 
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,318
    edited February 23
    AlaG said:
    kmcmanus said:

I'm just disappointed.

But we can also honestly say - as Pearl Jam fans, I think - that your dollar goes further at a Pearl Jam show than a GnR or AC/DC show in 2024. Not all live rock bands are made the same.
    Axl's voice issues aside, GnR gives you three solid hours 
    Post edited by SHZA on
  • Options
    hadrieliahadrielia Posts: 123
    I think PJ miscalculated this move for Europe. First that by all means those ticket prices are not the average in europe for a band like PJ, yeah they have fans, but they don't have the size as Taylor swift, ac/dc or other big acts that dare to charge that. It's delutional to think they are.

So they don't have that big hardcore fanbase to sellout stadiums with those prices. Given  that, only option is casual listeners,  yeah no casual listener that is not rich will pay 160€ for a ticket, you will need hell amount of rich people to sell out stadiums.

As for me, I was super excited to see them again. I was born the same year that the band got together. I haven't had too many opportunities to see them live, but Barcelona 2018 was the best concert of my life. This time around will only see them on Barcelona N1 and with a bittersweet taste, as my intention was to see them 2 nights but with these prices only have budget for one. This process has been a dissapointment, with 10c lottery new rules (I had to go to GA because I was not going to risk  to get bad seats for that price) and complete proof that the band only cares about the money.
    06/06/17 - Eddie Vedder - Hammersmith Apollo - London /////  09/06/17 - Eddie Vedder - 3Arena - Dublin ///// 19/06/18 - Pearl Jam - O2 - London ////// 10/07/18 - Pearl Jam - Palau Sant Jordi - Barcelona ////// 12/07/18 - Pearl Jam - Mad Cool Festival - Madrid ////// 14/07/18 -Pearl Jam - NOS Alive Festival - Lisbon
  • Options
    After seeing all the seats that were better than I got from Ten Club for between $500-800 per ticket before fees, I canceled my auto renewal for my membership. This will be my 25th and last show unless they swing through Denver on a future tour, but this will be the end for me for traveling and maintaining my FC membership.

I don't begrudge the fan club or the band; they are welcome to do what they want. 
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    CaliforniaSun77CaliforniaSun77 Los Angeles, CA Posts: 10
    AlaG said:
    I just want to know when concerts became such a rich man's game. Pearl Jam fans always show up but it ruins the entire ####ing vibe at so many shows I've been to lately. People in the lower bowl seated for the whole show. Young adults on IG the entire time taking pictures in front of your line of view. And so on. It just sucks.
    Prices spiked tremendously after the pandemic. Look,  $186 for good seats/lowers is fine, but they've got nosebleeds at $176 which is insane, even at place like The Forum where they aren't that bad. I think we paid like $100 for midrange seats for the 2020 tour that wasn't. I got spoiled by my $50 second hand Ohana ticket in 2021. 
  • Options
    AlaG said:
    I just want to know when concerts became such a rich man's game. Pearl Jam fans always show up but it ruins the entire ####ing vibe at so many shows I've been to lately. People in the lower bowl seated for the whole show. Young adults on IG the entire time taking pictures in front of your line of view. And so on. It just sucks.
    Prices spiked tremendously after the pandemic. Look,  $186 for good seats/lowers is fine, but they've got nosebleeds at $176 which is insane, even at place like The Forum where they aren't that bad. I think we paid like $100 for midrange seats for the 2020 tour that wasn't. I got spoiled by my $50 second hand Ohana ticket in 2021. 
    I pointed this out too but in reality having a base price for all these seats is what allows those better seats to be cheaper than market-value. Subsidizing for all. That's not necessarily a bad thing but it's a major reason. I was perusing Incubus/Coheed tix in SF and the upper decks are like $40 and floor about $100. Much more expensive in NY market but widely different than what you're getting in Sacramento for ex. 
  • Options
    edited February 23
    I also think, last year they had so many 10C and there ended up being a lot left or sold on F2F. This time they clearly removed some sections for the dynamic pricing options instead. It hurts but it's a balancing act for mgmt.