Pearl Jam Ruoff Music Center Postponement

Comments

• vedpunk said:
    Someone somewhat reputable in the PJ Community just posted on a Facebook Group that he ran into Ed's guitar Tech Simon on a flight to FTW... for what it's worth.  
    I also saw him in an airport lounge in Prague last year and we all know how that ended. Fingers crossed though.
    There are all kinds of crazy rules related to tour financing, even if they know deep down today that they can’t play on Weds, they might not be able to cancel if they can’t get a doctor to say so (if they say “you might be better Wednesday morning”, for instance). It’s complicated in ways that make it hard to be straightforward with fans.
  • I’m not saying that 10/1 is for sure the makeup date, but for those stating it won’t happen because Eddie won’t leave Ohana, or Jeff plays Sunday don’t seem to take into account they had a last minute cancellation for a show that is going to be made up. They sold tickets and have an obligation to play the show, seems like a good enough reason to move Jeff’s side band to Friday at ohana and for Ed to leave ohana. 
    I don't think a 10/1 makeup date will happen because it would mean retaining the entire touring crew for an extra 2 weeks after the tour was originally scheduled to end.
    Use some of that PJ Premium money!
  • vedpunk said:
    Someone somewhat reputable in the PJ Community just posted on a Facebook Group that he ran into Ed's guitar Tech Simon on a flight to FTW... for what it's worth.  
    I also saw him in an airport lounge in Prague last year and we all know how that ended. Fingers crossed though.
    There are all kinds of crazy rules related to tour financing, even if they know deep down today that they can’t play on Weds, they might not be able to cancel if they can’t get a doctor to say so (if they say “you might be better Wednesday morning”, for instance). It’s complicated in ways that make it hard to be straightforward with fans.
    This. I wonder how much things like insurance and the like are dictating the flow of things here. 
    Chicago, IL 07-19-2013 | Los Angeles, CA 11-23-2013 | Oakland, CA 11-26-2013 | St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014 | Bridge School 10-25-2014 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL 04-08-2016 | Miami, FL 04-09-2016 | TOTD San Francisco, CA 11/11/2016 | TOTD San Francisco, CA 11/12/2016 | Seattle, WA 08-08-2018 | Seattle, WA 08-10-2018 | EV & The Earthlings Ohana 09-24-2021 | EV & The Earthlings Ohana 09-25-2021 | Ohana 09-26-2021 | Los Angeles, CA 05-06-2022 | Los Angeles, CA 05-07-2022 | Oakland, CA 05-12-2022 | Oakland, CA 05-13-2022 | Austin, TX 09-18-2023 | Austin, TX 09-19-2023 Next: Sacramento, CA 05-13-2024 | Las Vegas, NV 05-16-2024 | Las Vegas, NV 05-18-2024 | Los Angeles, CA 05-21-2024 | Los Angeles, CA 05-22-2024

• Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • ComeToTX said:
    jwc6160 said:
    MD190661 said:
    dugsmok said:
    If this is because someone tested positive for what is now a mild common illness I'll be quite pissed. I could totally see it from these guys. 600miles drive and $200 for a hotel room. No guarantee they will ever make it back. 
    If anyone was as sick as I was last week or my wife was in July from Covid there is no way they could perform. She was sicker than I've ever seen and I was down for the count for 3 days as well.
    yeah, it hammered me a few months ago. I could barely move and I rarely ever get sick at all, let alone can't get out of bed sick. No way a band member could be out there 2 plus hours with what I had. These pricks that say shit like this are just entitled assholes that would still complain after because "the band sounded like shit" if they took the stage sick. 
    People have a high tolerance for the pain of others.
    I don't believe anyone was saying to play through flu like symptoms.  What they are saying is if asymptomatic then no big reason to not going ahead with the show.   Not anyone's call but the band though when it comes to health (as it should be).  
  • Interesting.  October 1st could work.  The PJ stage setup gets parked in Indianapolis for two weeks.   Eddie and Jeff fly private and sleep on the plane.  Might just happen.  
  • While it would be great to get a “Band member X is feeling better today and we are optimistic the shows will go on as scheduled” update, I’m fairly certain that won’t happen.  At this point I’m thinking no news is good news.  We are getting on a plane Wednesday morning to Fort Worth and are pretty much past the point of no return, so here’s to good health to the band and everyone headed to TX!
  • If PJ is playing Deer Creek in October, it's news to the venue. 
  • If PJ is playing Deer Creek in October, it's news to the venue. 
    Yeah I don't think it's going down but I'm sure curious why two different campgrounds are posting that. They might be under the same ownership though.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • FB post. The last sentence definitely checks out. 

”So given the confusion that’s currently going on I decided to contact the owner of the Sleepy bear and also the venue Ruoff music center. There is no show in October, do NOT buy tickets for the campground as they are non refundable. The guy said the reason it’s like that on the page is because he “needs a place holder date”. Also he said he’s sick of calls from PJ fans lmao”
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • what does the guy expect?  
  • FB post. The last sentence definitely checks out. 

”So given the confusion that’s currently going on I decided to contact the owner of the Sleepy bear and also the venue Ruoff music center. There is no show in October, do NOT buy tickets for the campground as they are non refundable. The guy said the reason it’s like that on the page is because he “needs a place holder date”. Also he said he’s sick of calls from PJ fans lmao”
    Nice...we messaged Sleepy Bear as well but hadn't heard back yet

• Just do it 2024 and maybe add another date, due to the demand 
  • I just hope whoever is Ill is ok. Guys, it’s just a concert, I know it sucks but these are first world problems. Just good thoughts to the band and crew. 
  • setlist41 said:
    Just do it 2024 and maybe add another date, due to the demand 
    This is the way.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,426
    edited September 2023
    One thing I heard from my insider at Deer Creek...the lawn was likely oversold by up to 6,000 tickets.

The show was sold out and DC has lawn passes that they sold this year of around 6000. They never know how many people will actually show up that bought those so the lawn could have been a real mess.

Another thing I noticed that I've never had happen before. The guards at the entrances to the pavilion were looking at ticket barcodes rather than just the ticket itself. I assume to make sure people weren't getting in with screenshots.

This is likely why the email yesterday (prior to postponing) referred to getting a wrist band for pavilion AND GA.

• DEGBTIDEGBTI Posts: 964
    I’m not saying that 10/1 is for sure the makeup date, but for those stating it won’t happen because Eddie won’t leave Ohana, or Jeff plays Sunday don’t seem to take into account they had a last minute cancellation for a show that is going to be made up. They sold tickets and have an obligation to play the show, seems like a good enough reason to move Jeff’s side band to Friday at ohana and for Ed to leave ohana. 
    I think they will make it up in 2024 as noted. Ohana will go on as advertised IMO
  • Would make sense to add it to the beginning of a MI, OH, PA run.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Interesting.  October 1st could work.  The PJ stage setup gets parked in Indianapolis for two weeks.   Eddie and Jeff fly private and sleep on the plane.  Might just happen.  
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 no
  • I hope they get back on track. My wife and I got to spend a lot of time together in the car yesterday only to find out the show was cancelled, just by chance. It hit us hard because last summer we went all the way to Prague for a show that was cancelled. Bad luck for us I guess. We drowned our sorrows at Dairy Queen and listened to history podcasts on the way home. Life is good. 
  • One thing I heard from my insider at Deer Creek...the lawn was likely oversold by up to 6,000 tickets.

The show was sold out and DC has lawn passes that they sold this year of around 6000. They never know how many people will actually show up that bought those so the lawn could have been a real mess.

Another thing I noticed that I've never had happen before. The guards at the entrances to the pavilion were looking at ticket barcodes rather than just the ticket itself. I assume to make sure people weren't getting in with screenshots.

This is likely why the email yesterday (prior to postponing) referred to getting a wrist band for pavilion AND GA.
    Holy shit that would have been a complete mess.
  • Ridiculous that PJ was included in the lawn pass to begin with. Deer Creek hosts a ton of shows with lackluster attendance, so I get why the venue does that, but they and the band have to know better than to overlook something like that. 

Overselling that venue by 6K is reason enough to postpone...
  • One thing I heard from my insider at Deer Creek...the lawn was likely oversold by up to 6,000 tickets.

Is your insider implying that's the real reason the show was postponed?
    1993 - Dallas ~~~ 1995 - Red Rocks I & II | Austin ~~~ 1998 - St Louis | Kansas City | Dallas | Raleigh | Atlanta | Birmingham | Greenville | Knoxville | Virginia Beach ~~~ 2000 - New Orleans | Memphis | Nashville | Noblesville | Cincinnati | Columbus | Houston I & II | Dallas | Las Vegas | LA | San Diego | San Bernardino | Sacramento | San Francisco ~~~ 2003 - OKC | San Antonio | Houston | Dallas | Little Rock | Camden I & II | MSG I & II ~~~ 2004 - Boston I & II | St Louis ~~~ 2005 - Gorge | Vancouver | Kitchener | London | Hamilton ~~~ 2006 - Las Vegas | Gorge I & II | Honolulu ~~~ 2008 - MSG I & II ~~~ 2009 - Seattle I & II | Vancouver | Portland | ACL | Philly I-IV ~~~ 2010 - Kansas City | St Louis ~~~ 2011 - PJ20 I & II ~~~ 2013 - Wrigley | Dallas | OKC ~~~ 2014 - ACL I | Tulsa | Moline | St Paul | Milwaukee | Denver ~~~ 2022 - OKC ~~~ 2023 - FW I & II | Austin I & II ~~~ 2024 - Seattle I & II
    [80]
  • Ridiculous that PJ was included in the lawn pass to begin with. Deer Creek hosts a ton of shows with lackluster attendance, so I get why the venue does that, but they and the band have to know better than to overlook something like that. 

Overselling that venue by 6K is reason enough to postpone...
    Is it possible this was the actual reason for the postponement?
    Austin, TX - 9/16/95 ~ Charleston, SC - 10/5/96 ~ Dallas, TX - 7/5/98 ~ San Antonio, TX - 4/5/03 ~ Denver, CO - 7/2/06 ~ EV - LA #2 - 4/13/08 ~ Austin, TX - 10/4/09 ~ Los Angeles, CA #1 - 11/23/13 ~ Los Angeles, CA #2 - 11/24/13 ~ Seattle, WA - 12/6/13 ~ NYC #1 - 5/1/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 8/5/16 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 8/7/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 9/2/18 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 9/4/18 ~ Louisville, KY - 9/17/22 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #1 - 9/13/23 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #2 - 9/15/23 ~ Austin, Texas #1 - 9/18/23 ~ Austin, Texas #2 - 9/19/23 ~ NYC #2 - 9/4/24 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 9/15/24 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 9/17/24
  • Think about how tight that lawn gets packed on a sellout crowd. Put another 5-6K in there? And another 5-6K people to account for at restrooms and buying beers and parking. It would be a logistical nightmare. 

I have no clue what actually happened, I'll take the band at their word. But if this is true, it's something to consider, and illness sounds better than, "Oops, we kinda botched the capacity here"

And I live locally, and know a few folks who aren't even PJ fans that have the pass and were planning to go. 
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 650
    Not sure about Deer Creek, but lawn passes are often not valid for all events. Find it hard to believe this would be overlooked by the venue and/or the cause of the cancellation.
  • That would have been a mess for the parking and obviously for the capacity on the lawn. This could 100% be the reason for postponement if true. 
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,807
    One thing I heard from my insider at Deer Creek...the lawn was likely oversold by up to 6,000 tickets.

Interesting...... 
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • Not sure about Deer Creek, but lawn passes are often not valid for all events. Find it hard to believe this would be overlooked by the venue and/or the cause of the cancellation.
    Right, but they were valid for this show. Between Ticketmaster's bullshit and general incompetence, I wouldn't put it past them to mess this up. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,426
    edited September 2023
    logan5ive said:

Is your insider implying that's the real reason the show was postponed?
    Actually he wondered that....but another connection had messaged us yesterday morning and said to be sure to get there early because they were expecting about 10,000 more people than the night before with the Smashing Pumpkins. I was surprised because the attendance seemed pretty good but I think it was around 18,000.

I don't buy that though. No way PJ would cancel a concert and take the blame for TM's mistake

This discussion has been closed.