Pearl Jam Ruoff Music Center Postponement

Comments

• They're all 60ish years old at this point. With age comes much more uncertainty and less resiliency. Just me personally, my days travelling long distances are over for this very reason. If it isn't a day trip, I'm out.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    Also the covid problem.  I believe covid cancellations a few years ago revamped how you insure a tour or tour dates (in case you need to cancel).   I think we're still in the era where one person gets covid, they have to isolate from everyone, and can't perform.  I suppose that could be moot, as you may not be in a position to perform if you're sick.

I do tend to agree.  Between covid and aging, a lot of the bigger acts we see postpone a lot more than they used too.

I always have to travel to shows as I live on an Island, but I'm not sure how eager I am to go further and fly out for shows.
  • JD87070JD87070 Posts: 245
    Zod said:
    Also the covid problem.  I believe covid cancellations a few years ago revamped how you insure a tour or tour dates (in case you need to cancel).   I think we're still in the era where one person gets covid, they have to isolate from everyone, and can't perform.  I suppose that could be moot, as you may not be in a position to perform if you're sick.

I do tend to agree.  Between covid and aging, a lot of the bigger acts we see postpone a lot more than they used too.

I always have to travel to shows as I live on an Island, but I'm not sure how eager I am to go further and fly out for shows.
    On the Covid isolation, not necessarily. I think it depends on the band and how they handle it. When James Hetfield had Covid last weekend, they still did the first show despite him already being sick. The crew all had masks on for that show-which hadn’t been happening earlier in the tour-and James didn’t closely interact with the other band members on stage like they usually do (this is all stuff I read on the MetClub forums, not first hand, but also I read most of it before they cancelled the second show and he publicly stated that he had Covid). So with them, they tried to continue on even with a positive test and him being a little under the weather, then it sounds like he got worse the next day so they pushed the second Phoenix show back a week.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    edited September 2023
    It is a tough call.   I understand if you are 60+, if you catch COVID you want to take it easy as a precaution for your own health.   If Hetfield was asymptomatic then I can see playing.  If he was having symptoms, then it is a risk that you'll wear yourself out and put yourself at risk of having a more difficult time battling the virus.    Artist's call of course.  

I think I said earlier, I think bands should take caution while touring and perhaps not go to other concerts or hang out in large groups if it can be helped.  Mental health is important too so people can't just be locked in a room.  I get that.  Just be smart about it.  Maybe you go to other concerts when you are on the road 3 months, but if on the road for 9 dates, maybe be a little more cautious.

Disclaimer:  Just talking on a message board.  Bands can do what they like and we have to deal with it.  Also have no idea who is sick and how they got sick.  If I am traveling for work and get sick, I can sit behind a computer in the hotel and get work done, or someone else can step in.  Or I just do the work a few days later.  With concerts, you don't have that ability.  

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • devonfzdevonfz Posts: 165
    These day of cancellations are getting out of hand. This is just really crazy stuff at this point depending on who the member is just do a show even if it’s improv acoustic whatever just play something for the crowd so they get something out of it a long way to go for just a cancellation or start having people that can fill in going to Austin for two shows wow I didn’t want to bring up cancellations this tour but here we go… plus a little news on who actually is sick and what is wrong but seriously seems like they could announce the cancellation but still put on some kind of show since everybody is already there, and everything is ready to go and set up kind of like they did years ago with Neil covering when Eddie was sick, they still finished a two hour show and then still gave everybody a ticket for the make up show in San Jose
  • So, everyone seems pretty sure it's a Covid issue. But if that's the case, wouldn't they just say that?
  • So, everyone seems pretty sure it's a Covid issue. But if that's the case, wouldn't they just say that?
    It's just most likely scenario... no one is sure
  • I had wondered when Josh joined if it was with a view to shows going ahead with him filling in if one member was out with covid 
    I could see where they don't say Covid because there would be backlash of "should have stayed in a bubble, COVID isn't that serious anymore, etc...".   It isn't 2021 anymore.  Leaving it general is the reasonable way for the announcement.  Nobody wants their health issues out in public, and fans can't throw stones if it was Covid and they caught it at a party in Chicago.  
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    if it's covid they wouldn't have said the next dates, starting 3 days later, are still a go. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    It is a tough call.   I understand if you are 60+, if you catch COVID you want to take it easy as a precaution for your own health.   If Hetfield was asymptomatic then I can see playing.  If he was having symptoms, then it is a risk that you'll wear yourself out and put yourself at risk of having a more difficult time battling the virus.    Artist's call of course.  

I think I said earlier, I think bands should take caution while touring and perhaps not go to other concerts or hang out in large groups if it can be helped.  Mental health is important too so people can't just be locked in a room.  I get that.  Just be smart about it.  Maybe you go to other concerts when you are on the road 3 months, but if on the road for 9 dates, maybe be a little more cautious.

Disclaimer:  Just talking on a message board.  Bands can do what they like and we have to deal with it.  Also have no idea who is sick and how they got sick.  If I am traveling for work and get sick, I can sit behind a computer in the hotel and get work done, or someone else can step in.  Or I just do the work a few days later.  With concerts, you don't have that ability.  

There's the other challenge, which is performing when your barely sick.  My previous job involved me running 60 to 90 minute presentations where I would talk at full volume.   I was always of the mantra, going into work, unless I'm really really really sick.   So I'd try to do one on a mild cold, which would ravage my throat and make it exponentially worse, and then I'd miss several days of work because I can't talk.

I have to imagine it's similar with singing.  James' probably didn't want to have to cancel shows, and might of only been a little sick, decided to motor through it, but then wrote himself off for several days as a result :(   Sometimes you make things worse by working through an ailment (especially when you need your voice).
  • if it's covid they wouldn't have said the next dates, starting 3 days later, are still a go. 
    Just says... currently  scheduled as planned... nothing about that says 100%
  • if it's covid they wouldn't have said the next dates, starting 3 days later, are still a go. 

They didn't say they are a Go, they said they are still currently scheduled as planned, which is always the case until a cancellation decision is made.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    in this context I think it's the same thing. If it was covid, they likely would have postponed more shows than just the one. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    in this context I think it's the same thing. If it was covid, they likely would have postponed more shows than just the one. 
    But canceling too far in advance costs the hotels, venue, staff and local a lot of money, though. 
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    Not necessarily. Covid isn’t what it used to be (I’ve had it three times over the past three years-my wife works i health care, so lots of exposure). In November 2020 it sucked, knocked us out for a good two weeks, followed by a slow recovery back to 100%. Second time a little over a year later, was maybe 4 days of feeling like crap, but nowhere near the level of the first time. When i got it this past spring (following a Springsteen concert), I felt about as bad as i did the 2020 time, but for only 1.5 days. Two days later i was out taking a 5 mile walk. Obviously everyone is different, the third time actually hit my wife pretty hard to where she only felt really bad for the same short time i did, but her recovery back to normal was much slower.
  • My wife works in medicine and we have been pretty cautious about COVID. She said what is going around is going around fast but that it is overall mild. That said, if one of the band members is sick enough to not play, doesn't matter if it is COVID, the flu, an ear infection, it is what it is. It could have happened this year or in 2002. I think everyone gets so caught up on COVID that they forget that it isn't the only thing that can knock someone out. Ever had strep throat as an adult? That is a bear. We just don't know what it is and obviously they didn't think they could play as a result. It sucks but it happens. 
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,321
    Staying in a bubble is of limited utility when you have thousands of fans singing at the top of their lungs and aspirating in your general direction for two hours every night. They were in a bubble in 2022 when Matt (and Jeff) got COVID. I would not be surprised at all if Matt got COVID from people in the pit who were singing/aspirating in his direction from 20-25 feet away all night.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Whatever the case may be, an update 24 hours after the news would be welcomed by all having to decide about FW.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Anyone fight the hotel refunds and get one?  The Wyndham folks are being quite un-customer servicey and dying on their sword of “wasn’t our problem, no refunds”.  

I booked through Expedia and I think they’ll side with the customer, we’ll see.  
  • KC138045KC138045 Posts: 2,716
    Anyone fight the hotel refunds and get one?  The Wyndham folks are being quite un-customer servicey and dying on their sword of “wasn’t our problem, no refunds”.  

I booked through Expedia and I think they’ll side with the customer, we’ll see.  
    I went through booking.com and am still waiting if the fee will get waived. I was 45 minutes away from my hotel when I got the news. 
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Whatever the case may be, an update 24 hours after the news would be welcomed by all having to decide about FW.  
    Exactly. I expect we would hear today as a lot of people will be booked to fly tomorrow.
  • Sleapybear campground has on their website 10/1 for the make-up show.....I'm not really sure about that
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,037
    edited September 2023
    setlist41 said:
    Sleapybear campground has on their website 10/1 for the make-up show.....I'm not really sure about that
    Eddie's playing Ohana on 9/30. 

I guess stranger things have happened, but I can't see them keeping the whole touring crew around from 9/19 through 10/2 for this one makeup show... 2024 seems more realistic. 
    Especially when Eddie is the host of the festival, i don’t see him leaving it to travel 2/3 of the way across the country.
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,807
    Whatever the case may be, an update 24 hours after the news would be welcomed by all having to decide about FW.  
    Exactly. I expect we would hear today as a lot of people will be booked to fly tomorrow.
    Lol… you will have an update Wednesday mid day.  You know how this goes…
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • The Sleepy Bear post is interesting but that is asking a lot of Ed.

Personally I don’t see why they don’t do 9/24.  It’s the day after Farm Aid at the same venue.  Plenty of crossover potential to buy returned tickets.  

PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Personally I don’t see why they don’t do 9/24.  It’s the day after Farm Aid at the same venue.  Plenty of crossover potential to buy returned tickets.  

I would endorse this. 

I would endorse this. 
    Not only that but I have a conflict on 10/1…

This discussion has been closed.