Pearl Jam Ruoff Music Center Postponement

Comments

• KC138045KC138045 Posts: 2,716
    Not sure about Deer Creek, but lawn passes are often not valid for all events. Find it hard to believe this would be overlooked by the venue and/or the cause of the cancellation.
    Right, but they were valid for this show. Between Ticketmaster's bullshit and general incompetence, I wouldn't put it past them to mess this up. 
    So they didn’t realize this until 4 hours before the gates open then decide to postpone?  Doesn’t seem plausible. 
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Not sure about Deer Creek, but lawn passes are often not valid for all events. Find it hard to believe this would be overlooked by the venue and/or the cause of the cancellation.
    I was surprised as well...seems easy to exclude the PJ concert but I remember that question bouncing around months ago and Ruoff confirmed that the passes would be accepted.

It does explain some of my earlier comments about how Ruoff seems to now allow people to cover the asphalt walkways on the lawn. They used to clear people out of there and now they do not. Obviously they need that space for all the extra passholders.

It's all about the $$$$$.

SO the theory would be that if they postpone and move the concert to 2024 the 2023 pass holders wouldn't be allowed in. Then the 2024 passes would not be allowed in the PJ crowd. /conspiracy
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 650
    Not sure about Deer Creek, but lawn passes are often not valid for all events. Find it hard to believe this would be overlooked by the venue and/or the cause of the cancellation.
    Right, but they were valid for this show. Between Ticketmaster's bullshit and general incompetence, I wouldn't put it past them to mess this up. 
    Ok, wasn’t sure. Definitely should never underestimate TM to create a mess.
  • I'm not saying it's why they cancelled. But if they did oversell by that much, it's a security issue and logistical nightmare. Not sure it's feasible to have a show. 
  • KC138045 said:
    So they didn’t realize this until 4 hours before the gates open then decide to postpone?  Doesn’t seem plausible. 
    Yeah they would/should have known this for quite some time. And again...who knows how many of the 6,000 would have shown up. A lot of those passes were likely for country fans.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • logan5ive said:
    One thing I heard from my insider at Deer Creek...the lawn was likely oversold by up to 6,000 tickets.

The show was sold out and DC has lawn passes that they sold this year of around 6000. They never know how many people will actually show up that bought those so the lawn could have been a real mess.

Another thing I noticed that I've never had happen before. The guards at the entrances to the pavilion were looking at ticket barcodes rather than just the ticket itself. I assume to make sure people weren't getting in with screenshots.

This is likely why the email yesterday (prior to postponing) referred to getting a wrist band for pavilion AND GA.
    Is your insider implying that's the real reason the show was postponed?
    Actually he wondered that....but another connection had messaged us yesterday morning and said to be sure to get there early because they were expecting about 10,000 more people than the night before with the Smashing Pumpkins. I was surprised because the attendance seemed pretty good but I think it was around 18,000.

I don't buy that though. No way PJ would cancel a concert and take the blame for TM's mistake
    I agree about PJ not taking the heat for a bad logistics situation by the venue and promoter. If it was a safety concern I think the band would have let it be known rather than go along with the illness explanation. 
  • Here come the conspiracy theories. Pj told you it was a serious illness. 
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    KC138045 said:
    My exact thoughts also…..not plausible.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 888
    Insider source said it was definitely because of Billy Corgan.
  • vedpunk said:
    🤣🤣
    Austin, TX - 9/16/95 ~ Charleston, SC - 10/5/96 ~ Dallas, TX - 7/5/98 ~ San Antonio, TX - 4/5/03 ~ Denver, CO - 7/2/06 ~ EV - LA #2 - 4/13/08 ~ Austin, TX - 10/4/09 ~ Los Angeles, CA #1 - 11/23/13 ~ Los Angeles, CA #2 - 11/24/13 ~ Seattle, WA - 12/6/13 ~ NYC #1 - 5/1/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 8/5/16 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 8/7/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 9/2/18 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 9/4/18 ~ Louisville, KY - 9/17/22 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #1 - 9/13/23 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #2 - 9/15/23 ~ Austin, Texas #1 - 9/18/23 ~ Austin, Texas #2 - 9/19/23 ~ NYC #2 - 9/4/24 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 9/15/24 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 9/17/24
  • logan5ive said:
    One thing I heard from my insider at Deer Creek...the lawn was likely oversold by up to 6,000 tickets.

The show was sold out and DC has lawn passes that they sold this year of around 6000. They never know how many people will actually show up that bought those so the lawn could have been a real mess.

Another thing I noticed that I've never had happen before. The guards at the entrances to the pavilion were looking at ticket barcodes rather than just the ticket itself. I assume to make sure people weren't getting in with screenshots.

This is likely why the email yesterday (prior to postponing) referred to getting a wrist band for pavilion AND GA.
    Is your insider implying that's the real reason the show was postponed?
    Actually he wondered that....but another connection had messaged us yesterday morning and said to be sure to get there early because they were expecting about 10,000 more people than the night before with the Smashing Pumpkins. I was surprised because the attendance seemed pretty good but I think it was around 18,000.

I don't buy that though. No way PJ would cancel a concert and take the blame for TM's mistake
    Pumpkins was just over 14K, looked full at night but it was really spread out. 
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,752
    vedpunk said:
    I’m fine blaming him for all this. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,433
    edited September 2023
    ^ no way. You know, Stone was the problem. It was Stone.

Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,807
    edited September 2023
    Here come the conspiracy theories. Pj told you it was a serious illness. 
    Because no one ever has lied and called in “sick” before?  Happens all the time.  Not to say they are lying, but it’s totally reasonable to be suspicious and just not take their word at face value at this point, especially with the way the last few years have gone regarding communication
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • CO278952CO278952 Posts: 1,346
    Because no one ever has lied and called in “sick” before?  Happens all the time.  Not to say they are lying, but it’s totally reasonable to be suspicious and just not take their word at face value at this point, especially with the way the last few years have gone regarding communication
    Hope whoever is sick gets better soon so the tour can continue this week. I am 100% confident the band would not make shit up to postbone a show the day of during an 8 concert tour. Wondering the last time anyone on here called out of work and it affected 20,000 people’s plans hours later. 
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden 07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa 5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin 9.3.24 MSG 9.4.24 MSG Fenway 9.15.24 Fenway 9.17.24
  • Here come the conspiracy theories. Pj told you it was a serious illness. 
    This isn’t the Trump Administration 
  • CO278952 said:

Hope whoever is sick gets better soon so the tour can continue this week. I am 100% confident the band would not make shit up to postpone a show the day of during an 8 concert tour. Wondering the last time anyone on here called out of work and it affected 20,000 people’s plans hours later. 
    Well, I'm head of Air Traffic Control at London Heathrow, and I'll often pull a sickie if I've had a dodgy curry or a couple of pints too many....
  • jwc6160jwc6160 Posts: 323
    This is such an odd take. I'm glad my brain doesn't immediately go to the craziest scenario when things don't go my way. They aren't widget makers in a factory that didn't want to go to work Sunday. They are extremely wealthy performers that frankly don't have to perform at all if they don't want to. Why on earth would they go through the trouble of organizing a small tour only to decide that, "I hate indianapolis even though I chose to go to Indianapolis, so i'm not performing tonight". It doesn't make any logical sense at all. Someone is sick and couldn't perform. That is that. 
    KC 2010
    Lincoln 2014
    New York 2016
    Seattle 2018
    St Louis 2022

EV@ Innings Festival in AZ 2023
  • I would think there are a lot of different hands looking for money from this concert.  That is a lot of people that would know the reason why the show was cancelled and keep a secret.  Promoters, venue, vendors, insurers, attorneys, etc.... 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    These kinds of sick calls usually don't happen when people are in the middle of work trips, staying in hotels with coworkers, and with events scheduled before and after. This isn't a Friday before the long weekend or something. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JimmyV said:
    These kinds of sick calls usually don't happen when people are in the middle of work trips, staying in hotels with coworkers, and with events scheduled before and after. This isn't a Friday before the long weekend or something. 
    Sure, and again, im not saying someone didn’t get sick.  I just think that people are entitled to their beliefs and conspiracies just as much as PJ is entitled to their privacy.  

When you start hearing things like the Lawn might have been oversold by 6k, that is a huge issue to need to cover up.  You can’t just cancel 6k 10c lawn tickets.  You also can’t tell Lawn pass holders that they all the sudden can’t go, because then they would demand refunds saying “PJ was the only reason I bought the pass!” Etc 

Easy fix?  Move the show to 2024, don’t include PJ when you sell the 2024 Lawn pass, and pray no one knows any better and believes someone was just “sick” 

Its possible, that’s all I’m saying 
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • jwc6160jwc6160 Posts: 323
    Just asking questions everyone.........
    KC 2010
    Lincoln 2014
    New York 2016
    Seattle 2018
    St Louis 2022

EV@ Innings Festival in AZ 2023
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,965
    Bababooey
  • JimmyV said:
    Sure, and again, im not saying someone didn’t get sick.  I just think that people are entitled to their beliefs and conspiracies just as much as PJ is entitled to their privacy.  

When you start hearing things like the Lawn might have been oversold by 6k, that is a huge issue to need to cover up.  You can’t just cancel 6k 10c lawn tickets.  You also can’t tell Lawn pass holders that they all the sudden can’t go, because then they would demand refunds saying “PJ was the only reason I bought the pass!” Etc 

Easy fix?  Move the show to 2024, don’t include PJ when you sell the 2024 Lawn pass, and pray no one knows any better and believes someone was just “sick” 

We think you’re wrong. 
    JimmyV said:

We think you’re wrong. 
    You’re right, I could be 
  • Hurls15Hurls15 Posts: 161
    edited September 2023
    I hope whoever is ill recovers and does so hopefully as soon as possible.  It  definitely sucks for those impacted by the cancellation. Lost money and lost opportunity.

However, in situations like this we all need to take a step back and have some perspective.  Especially on this day on the calendar. 
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,332
    Couldn't Josh fill in for anyone except Eddie on any given night if needed?  Look at the lengths the band went to last year to keep the tour rolling!   They used Josh and just about every other drummer in there history behind the kit.  Wasn't untill the second member got sick that they pulled the plug.  Just thinking out loud here.
  • JimmyV said:

We think you’re wrong. 
    You’re right, I could be 
    I’m not trying to give you a hard time but wouldn’t they  just say a safety issue if the venue over sold the place? It’s an illness, I believe them. It’s not good to make stuff up IMO. Maybe Eddie is sick of the doom and gloom complainers on the fan club site or maybe he wanted to watch Sunday night football. To make stuff up is really a waste of time. 
  • if it's covid they wouldn't have said the next dates, starting 3 days later, are still a go. 

I agree with this. I hear the latest strain is mild, but when my husband and I got the "mild" kraken variant in February, I still had to take him to the ER and we both lost two weeks to sitting/ lying at home, recovering.

We  don't know what "it" is, and we don't know who is sick, and frankly, it's not any of our business, curious though we may be. Look at all the speculating now; imagine if we knew who had what and then everyone chimed in with their two cents about how Ed/Mike/Matt/Stone/Jeff should be handling things. This is a private band, we all know that.

I get the frustration. But the people on IG who are demanding to know the details, because after all, they bought concert and airplane tickets, they have a right to know who is sick: wow, so much entitlement. Your concert tickets don't buy you part ownership of Mike McCready. Our approach is: we don't put in for tickets in a city that we wouldn't be happy to spend time in were the show to be cancelled. We lived in Indianapolis years ago, and I don't know if a private house concert with Ed would be enough to make me ever go back there. To each their own, of course, but with all the travel chaos and an older band and our older selves, I am comfortable with this approach. 
    It’s entitlement for people to ask if future plans are affected?  People asking think they own a piece of Mike Mccready? The social media admin are just going to ignore the stupid posts so who cares.  Its not like Matt Cameron is on insta wondering what ScarfaceGrapesoda69 thinks of his live playing.  Life is short
    1. Red Rocks '95, second night starting on chairs
    2. buncha others, doesn't really matter
  • CO278952CO278952 Posts: 1,346
    mr bungle said:
    Couldn't Josh fill in for anyone except Eddie on any given night if needed?  Look at the lengths the band went to last year to keep the tour rolling!   They used Josh and just about every other drummer in their history behind the kit.  Wasn't untill the second member got sick that they pulled the plug.  Just thinking out loud here.
    Not what I signed up for 
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden 07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa 5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin 9.3.24 MSG 9.4.24 MSG Fenway 9.15.24 Fenway 9.17.24
This discussion has been closed.