Options

How much do you think tickets will be on the next tour?

Comments

• Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,351
    Canadian tickets were $150 for the 2020/22 shows in Toronto and Hamilton. I'm going to get priced out soon. Zero chance I pay anything close to $475 for a pair of tickets. They're my all-time favourite band and the shows are always great, yet that's not a price I'm willing to pay. We'll see how things play out. Be well everyone
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,285
    JimmyV said:
    Ed's prices were more than I was willing to pay. Relieved actually to see that tour skip Boston. Made the decision much easier. 
    Yep. had my buddy ask if we should try for NYC EV tix and my response was "not for nearly $500 a pair".
    No local show was probably a blessing that time.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,235
    The tickets in 2022 I remember being noticeable "expensive" (Budapest, Prague, Copenhagen) compared to what I have paid for similar shows here in Sweden.

Are they really at the low end of the spectrum?

Maybe I'm misremembering. 
    Could be regional but if they came in at 150/ticket for Boston that would definitely be low end for arenas and up. I can't claim to look at every show on the calendar, but it would be the lowest of any I've seen scheduled this year.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,487
    Sarava said:
    When I saw Ed at the Auditorium Theatre 13 months ago, I paid $475ish for that pair. I would expect similar for the next new Pearl Jam tour.
    Ed's tickets have always been more than a PJ show.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    RyanRyan Posts: 1,027
    igotid88 said:
    Sarava said:
    When I saw Ed at the Auditorium Theatre 13 months ago, I paid $475ish for that pair. I would expect similar for the next new Pearl Jam tour.
    Ed's tickets have always been more than a PJ show.
    I was going to say the same thing - going back to the first EV tours in 2008, he’s always charged a comparable amount to what Pearl Jam shows cost.  
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 4,068
    Yep.  The main difference is the venues.  Aside from festivals, Eddie's solo shows are usually in smaller venues/theatres whereas the full PJ band is playing arenas and stadiums. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,974
    Going to be between $300 and $400 per pair, all in with fees.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,308
    $165 per ticket after fees - $40 uptick from 2020. 

Purely based on pricing of Metallica tickets which were $340 for a two night ticket (170 per night) for lower bowl good face value seats.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,041
    JimmyV said:
    That is my guess. Closer to the $300 end.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    mace1229 said:
    JimmyV said:
    That is my guess. Closer to the $300 end.
    My guess is closer to and maybe over the $400 end with fees.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I just can't bring myself to spend  the going rate for PJ shows that won't compare to any PJ shows I have seen when the tickets cost half as much.  Not to mention the likely travel and associated hotel costs.  Unless they play in Austin with tix at or below $150, I probably won't be seeing them again.  Now if they drop a surprise late career masterpiece I will throw all my reservations in the trash and spend big money for a reinvented PJ with a fresh new sound.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,337
    I'll keep going.  They're in or, about to be in their 60s.   Not sure how long they'll get to tour for.   If I love long enough I'll be an old man with money in the bank account with no concert tickets to buy.   I'll keep going if I'm able.

I still expect PJ to be on the lower end of ticket prices, it's just that the whole industry has gone bonkers, so the lower end isn't really that cheap anymore.
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,371
    Zod said:
    I'll keep going.  They're in or, about to be in their 60s.   Not sure how long they'll get to tour for.   If I love long enough I'll be an old man with money in the bank account with no concert tickets to buy.   I'll keep going if I'm able.

I still expect PJ to be on the lower end of ticket prices, it's just that the whole industry has gone bonkers, so the lower end isn't really that cheap anymore.
    I mostly agree, except with the shorter shows and higher prices the value for going to multiple isn’t there as much as it used to be.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,358
    I’m capping my self to $180 per ticket after fees and would only do two shows and only if they are within driving distance of 4 hours from me! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Zod said:

I mostly agree, except with the shorter shows and higher prices the value for going to multiple isn’t there as much as it used to be.  
    The short shows thing is weird.  Basically we had 2013 to 2018 (5 to 6 years) of the 3 hour barn burners, but the current lengths are where they were most of the time (except tickets used to be cheaper).

I suppose the current challenge is 3 hour+ setlists allowed many of us to get our white whales.   With regular sized sets, once they play the staples, there's only so much room for rarities, covers and non-singles.

I never got to that many shows anyways (at least not by how I compare myself to other board members).   Usually Vancouver and Seattle area shows.  The odd time I'll do a trip (like Oakland last year), but generally it means there's a few shows to see every few years.

I see myself sticking to that.  I find if I go to too many, I start taking it for granted.   I don't seem to have the tolerance other people have for multiple shows.  I start loathing the repeats by the 3rd show :)

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,358
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

The short shows thing is weird.  Basically we had 2013 to 2018 (5 to 6 years) of the 3 hour barn burners, but the current lengths are where they were most of the time (except tickets used to be cheaper).

I suppose the current challenge is 3 hour+ setlists allowed many of us to get our white whales.   With regular sized sets, once they play the staples, there's only so much room for rarities, covers and non-singles.

I never got to that many shows anyways (at least not by how I compare myself to other board members).   Usually Vancouver and Seattle area shows.  The odd time I'll do a trip (like Oakland last year), but generally it means there's a few shows to see every few years.

I see myself sticking to that.  I find if I go to too many, I start taking it for granted.   I don't seem to have the tolerance other people have for multiple shows.  I start loathing the repeats by the 3rd show :)

Yeah I’ve felt like that before doing 5 or 6 shows I found myself standing there and knowing what was coming next! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 353
    $149.50 for pavilion and $89.50 for lawn
    Sign me up for this.
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,371
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

Yeah I’ve felt like that before doing 5 or 6 shows I found myself standing there and knowing what was coming next! 
    I’ve got to the point where I know exactly when in Alive they turn the lights on.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,487
    $7.50
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    smile6680 said:
    Sign me up for this.

PJ semes like one of the last bands that charges the same price for being in the best seats and being in the worst seats.  I wonder if they'll ever give that up?
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,209
    smile6680 said:
    Sign me up for this.
    Me too!
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,885
    edited March 2023
    https://loudwire.com/the-cure-robert-smith-sickened-ticketmaster-fees/

The Cure making most bands look bad. All this talk about how there’s nothing Pearl Jam , Bruce etc.. can do about platinum tickets…….

"We had final say in our ticket pricing for this upcoming tour, and didn't want those prices instantly and horribly distorted by resale," Smith commented ahead of the ticket sale. He later noted, "We didn't agree to the dynamic pricing / price surging / platinum ticket thing, because it itself is a bit of a scam? A separate conversation."

Post edited by nicknyr15 on
  • Options
    Bands should just do dutch auction style or some variation for all the good seats. This dynamic pricing is a loser. Just pisses everyone off and puts you under a microscope.
  • Options
    onemorshowonemorshow Posts: 391

• Options
    edited March 2023
    nicknyr15 said:
    https://loudwire.com/the-cure-robert-smith-sickened-ticketmaster-fees/

The Cure making most bands look bad. All this talk about how there’s nothing Pearl Jam , Bruce etc.. can do about platinum tickets…….

"We had final say in our ticket pricing for this upcoming tour, and didn't want those prices instantly and horribly distorted by resale," Smith commented ahead of the ticket sale. He later noted, "We didn't agree to the dynamic pricing / price surging / platinum ticket thing, because it itself is a bit of a scam? A separate conversation."

Yep. Smith and company just seeking to make a fair payday from touring rather than gouge their fans...what a novel idea. Garth Brooks last year same deal, all his tix were like $85.00 with about a $7.50 or so TM fee. No Platinum or PJ Premium or VIP or dynamic pricing.

The artist absolutely has final say. Bruce fully admitted he went all in for the cash grab this time to Rolling Stone.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    Bands should just do dutch auction style or some variation for all the good seats. This dynamic pricing is a loser. Just pisses everyone off and puts you under a microscope.
    I mean, that's not wrong.   Before platinum seating, promoters would sell blocks of tickets directly to scalpers (often some of the best seats) as a way to generate extra revenue.  When they did it like that the general public didn't know, and the bands didn't get the blame.

Ticketmaster itself seems to function as a sacrificial lamb for bands.  Anyone has problems with tickets, prices, fees, just blame TM.  So now that's happening with platinum, as bands are now getting blamed for the ticketing, so they're trying to blame it on TM as they're a well paid scapegoat.

In regards to the Cure. I'm not sure how much a fair comparison they are.  I don't think they're on the same level or popularity as bands that can sell out an arena or stadium consistently.   Thus the lower demand might take the pressure off, or remove the profitability of platinum tickets.

I do think it's cool that the Cure will be the 2nd band (that I know of) to use the fan2fan ticket exchange (which is just TM's reselling platform restricted to face value).   If you're going to sell tickets below market prices, and you want to reduce scalping, you need to lock it down.

I will be curious to see if PJ uses Platinum (ahem PJ Premium) again.   They sort of blamed it on the increased costs of running the tour in 2020 vs 2022.  IE they needed to raise additional revenues to cover increased touring costs, even though many of the tickets had been sold 2 years prior when it was cheaper to tour.    It'll be telling on the next tour whether they do it again.

I guess I should stop ranting.  It's why I think not much would change of TM would break up, because why kind of bands don't want a bigger pay day, so how are you going to put the platinum genie back in the bottle.

I just hope PJ has a few good tours left in them,   not looking forward to the day when it's no longer an option.
  • Options
    aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,221
    edited March 2023
    Zod said:
    pjl44 said:
    I mean, that's not wrong.   Before platinum seating, promoters would sell blocks of tickets directly to scalpers (often some of the best seats) as a way to generate extra revenue.  When they did it like that the general public didn't know, and the bands didn't get the blame.

Ticketmaster itself seems to function as a sacrificial lamb for bands.  Anyone has problems with tickets, prices, fees, just blame TM.  So now that's happening with platinum, as bands are now getting blamed for the ticketing, so they're trying to blame it on TM as they're a well paid scapegoat.

In regards to the Cure. I'm not sure how much a fair comparison they are.  I don't think they're on the same level or popularity as bands that can sell out an arena or stadium consistently.   Thus the lower demand might take the pressure off, or remove the profitability of platinum tickets.

I do think it's cool that the Cure will be the 2nd band (that I know of) to use the fan2fan ticket exchange (which is just TM's reselling platform restricted to face value).   If you're going to sell tickets below market prices, and you want to reduce scalping, you need to lock it down.

I will be curious to see if PJ uses Platinum (ahem PJ Premium) again.   They sort of blamed it on the increased costs of running the tour in 2020 vs 2022.  IE they needed to raise additional revenues to cover increased touring costs, even though many of the tickets had been sold 2 years prior when it was cheaper to tour.    It'll be telling on the next tour whether they do it again.

I guess I should stop ranting.  It's why I think not much would change of TM would break up, because why kind of bands don't want a bigger pay day, so how are you going to put the platinum genie back in the bottle.

I just hope PJ has a few good tours left in them,   not looking forward to the day when it's no longer an option.
    A number of bands/artists have been using it over the past year or so. Although, not consistently for every show. I had to put my extra Billy Strings tickets for the Wiltern show on F2F last summer. And Foo Fighters are currently using it for a couple of their non-fest shows.
    Post edited by aisleseats on
  • Options
    Zod said:
    pjl44 said:

The platinum genie is a result of technology. It is so easy to resell that water just finds its level unless you lock things down hard like Ten Club tickets.

All bands can realistically do is tour to demand - volume of shows, venue sizes, etc. And that's easy for me to say here on the couch but that's just kinda how it is. If you are, hypothetically, a band that is super popular, tours infrequently, and books short runs when you do tour....guess what that means for ticket prices. Hypothetically.
  • Options
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011); Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 04, 2011); Deluna Fest Pensacola, FL (September 21, 2012); Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013); Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014); Wrigley Field I (August 20, 2016); Wrigley Field II (August 22, 2016); Home Shows Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018), Home Shows Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018), Apollo Theater (September 10, 2022), Madison Square Garden (September 11, 2022), Bourbon & Beyond Louisville (September 17th, 2022). 
  • Options
    mrezoocmrezooc Posts: 139
    Metallica tickets were ridiculous. $600 for a single ticket in the nose bleeds in Montreal. Sold as a platinum. Hopefully PJ has more respect for their fans. $156 for Canada shows last time around was reasonable. Bruce Springsteen standard tickets were $325 for TO. I expect this is where we will see prices for a show in Canada I’d we get shows announced.