Options

How much do you think tickets will be on the next tour?

Comments

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,884
    more expensive than the Cure tickets 
    Definitely. I keep saying it but damn. Robert smith is a hero. 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,065
    nicknyr15 said:
    more expensive than the Cure tickets 
    Definitely. I keep saying it but damn. Robert smith is a hero. 
    Agreed. I am happy to be going to see the Cure. I want to support that. 
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,382
    edited March 2023
    nicknyr15 said:
    JimmyV said:
    It's a lot of money. Travel costs on top of tickets is what will keep us away. I'd have trouble not breaking down and paying whatever price for a local show, but to add flights and hotels too? Harder and harder to justify that. 2022 was a little different because it had been four years since we saw them. Plus, while I loved both Ottawa and MSG, neither show compared to pre-COVID Pearl Jam.
    Amen. Shows were still great but cmon. Not even close 
    I only did Camden this tour because I won fanclub ga. Couldn’t afford the rest. The first msg show I’ve ever missed. Too $$. 

I have been on every pj tour and have seen over 100 Pearl Jam shows. 

Camden was in the top 10 shows I’ve ever seen. If I think about it. It’s about 8. 

Boston garden 94
    Msg 98
    pnc nj 03
    msg 10
    Hartford 10
    hartford 13
    phily 3 09
    camden 22

i find when some shows suck it’s my seats suck. Maybe it’s that. Play the show and your hard pressed to say it’s not 03. That wash. That mfc into untitled. That picture on a sunny day. Just wow. Maybe it’s me. 
    Post edited by RS65573 on
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,987
    Yep. I always forget how much I love them until I see them again. Last show was...
    2016 I think. My live show resume took a serious dive.

• Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,382
    i figured at some point they’d bail and do 1 set list all tour. Every band on earth does that. You just can’t compare 100+ songs they can play to same set all night. 

The Rolling Stones used to be the best rock show on earth. 

Then U2 used to be the greatest touring rock band. 

Now it’s Pearl Jam. 
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,490
    RS65573 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    JimmyV said:
    It's a lot of money. Travel costs on top of tickets is what will keep us away. I'd have trouble not breaking down and paying whatever price for a local show, but to add flights and hotels too? Harder and harder to justify that. 2022 was a little different because it had been four years since we saw them. Plus, while I loved both Ottawa and MSG, neither show compared to pre-COVID Pearl Jam.
    Amen. Shows were still great but cmon. Not even close 
    I only did Camden this tour because I won fanclub ga. Couldn’t afford the rest. The first msg show I’ve ever missed. Too $$. 

I have been on every pj tour and have seen over 100 Pearl Jam shows. 

Camden was in the top 10 shows I’ve ever seen. If I think about it. It’s about 8. 

Boston garden 94
    Msg 98
    pnc nj 03
    msg 10
    Hartford 10
    hartford 13
    phily 3 09
    camden 22

i find when some shows suck it’s my seats suck. Maybe it’s that. Play the show and you’re hard pressed to say it’s not 03. That wash. That mfc into untitled. That picture on a sunny day. Just wow. Maybe it’s me. 
    Total agreement.  Camden rocked. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,281
    Get_Right said:
    I think what The Cure is doing is admirable, I guess they do not care about the secondary market making money off their shows because that is what is driving the higher prices and the dynamic pricing.  TM is not happy with what the Cure is trying to do, it costs them money, so they jack up the fees. Just goes to show you there is no competition and consumers are constantly getting screwed. I thought that was illegal in this country. When PJ tours again, I will pick 10C tickets and hope to score. If not, I may skip it this time around.
    The Cure is doing face value ticket exchange as the only way to transfer tix and sites like Stubhub aren't selling their tickets. Except in 3 states where laws won't allow restricting of resale, NY, Colorado and Illinois.

Another step any band could take if they decided not to gouge their fans.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,354
    The Cure just f’n rocks so cool of RS to take some sort of stand on evil TM 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,235
    Poncier said:
    Get_Right said:
    I think what The Cure is doing is admirable, I guess they do not care about the secondary market making money off their shows because that is what is driving the higher prices and the dynamic pricing.  TM is not happy with what the Cure is trying to do, it costs them money, so they jack up the fees. Just goes to show you there is no competition and consumers are constantly getting screwed. I thought that was illegal in this country. When PJ tours again, I will pick 10C tickets and hope to score. If not, I may skip it this time around.
    The Cure is doing face value ticket exchange as the only way to transfer tix and sites like Stubhub aren't selling their tickets. Except in 3 states where laws won't allow restricting of resale, NY, Colorado and Illinois.

Another step any band could take if they decided not to gouge their fans.
    I gotta tell ya... this is a well-meaning model but man is it frustrating when demand is high.

Newport Folk Fest only operates through a face value waiting list. I am currently sitting on it and just have to wait it out. Most of the action isn't until the month before. Would be the first one I've missed in 12 years if it doesn't work out.

Most extras for Goose in Boston were going through Cash Or Trade (great face value app). Submitted 35 different requests, many within seconds of posting and was able to buy none.

These systems are phenomenal if you score but maaaaaan does it suck when you can't just play the secondary market when you're not.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,041
    edited March 2023
    JimmyV said:
    This is exactly where I am in my PJ adventure. Absolutely love this band and they've put on my pavorite shows. I just cant justify the travel anymore. With 2 small kids I don't want to regret using that vacation money to go by myself and meet up with old friends at a show when we can have a family get away somewhere.
    If it's 3-4 drive and the wife and I can go and get grandparents to watch the kids for a one night get away we'll go. But I just cant see myself flying again and dropping $1000 in travel expenses.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    The revenue lost from albums sales due to file sharing and now streaming has us laying in the bed of high ticket prices we made ourselves.
    I've heard that. But I've always been curious how true that is. How much did bands make from album sales in the 90s and how much are they making from ticket sales today? Is it the same? Seems like most big bands are making more now even with the loss of record sales. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    I’ve been doing this for years if I don’t score 10C tickets I don’t go! The only time I decided to get secondary market tickets was for the one  98 MSG show I didn’t receive my request form from 10C thankfully my brother in law had scored with his number for the 1st night I broke down and got four tickets from a scalping company not even sure who it was! Those days are way over.
    In 98 you could still get decent tickets for a reasonable price.  Heck up tp 2006 you could still get tix for a fair price on the secondary market. Not anymore.
    I went to all 4 LA shows, plus San Diego in 2009. Only 1 pair I got through the 10c. I wouldn't have done it if I had to pay an arm and a leg. I'm sure it was above face value, but I'm sure under $100 on the secondary market.
    I remember in 2000 and 2003 I don't think the San Diego shows even sold out. If they did it wasnt until a few days before. There just wasn't a secondary market demand for PJ tickets until more recently. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,336
    mace1229 said:
    on2legs said:
    The revenue lost from albums sales due to file sharing and now streaming has us laying in the bed of high ticket prices we made ourselves.
    I've heard that. But I've always been curious how true that is. How much did bands make from album sales in the 90s and how much are they making from ticket sales today? Is it the same? Seems like most big bands are making more now even with the loss of record sales. 
    Back in the day they used to say that a band got to keep $1 from every album sold.   If it was one of the big ones like Nevermind or Ten, I guess that's 10 million, then divided up however the royalties work within the band?  Many albums don't go 10x platinum.  Also 10 million in the early 90s, is probably 20 million in today's $$'s, and that's for the high end of album sales.    Plus they still would of had touring $$'s and merch sales on top of that.    I guess you could clear that in a small stadium tour, but if you're playing Arena's it would take longer.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Zod said:
    mace1229 said:
    on2legs said:
    Back in the day they used to say that a band got to keep $1 from every album sold.   If it was one of the big ones like Nevermind or Ten, I guess that's 10 million, then divided up however the royalties work within the band?  Many albums don't go 10x platinum.  Also 10 million in the early 90s, is probably 20 million in today's $$'s, and that's for the high end of album sales.    Plus they still would of had touring $$'s and merch sales on top of that.    I guess you could clear that in a small stadium tour, but if you're playing Arena's it would take longer.
    I always remember hearing that $1 too. Remember Goo Goo Dolls selling several million copies, and then their record company sued them for millions because their contract was so bad they ended up owing money? Haha.

I don't know what the profit margin is on shows. But an arena with 20,000+ seats per show at $100 a ticket, bands can still make a lot of money pretty quick. I'm guessing most bands are making more money with us believing they have to charge more to break even. The ones that can sell out arenas anwyay.

I saw AC/DC in college in 2001, I think I paid $23 for that ticket. They didn't have big album sales at that point in their career. Amazing show. I never saw them again because sveeral year later it was like $150. They just jumped on the hiked ticket price bandwagon like everyone else. I don't blame them, I would too.
    Everyone is crazy expensive. My wife wants to see Pink, and its like $180 a ticket.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    The lion king is $300 a ticket. Yankees or rangers is $300 a ticket. I'd rather pay $300 to see Ed or the full band. It is what it is. I charge $500 an hour, 2.5 hours with me will cost you much more than 2.5 hours of Ed.  He is more talented than me.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,354
    mace1229 said:
    Zod said:
    mace1229 said:
    on2legs said:
    I always remember hearing that $1 too. Remember Goo Goo Dolls selling several million copies, and then their record company sued them for millions because their contract was so bad they ended up owing money? Haha.

I don't know what the profit margin is on shows. But an arena with 20,000+ seats per show at $100 a ticket, bands can still make a lot of money pretty quick. I'm guessing most bands are making more money with us believing they have to charge more to break even. The ones that can sell out arenas anwyay.

I saw AC/DC in college in 2001, I think I paid $23 for that ticket. They didn't have big album sales at that point in their career. Amazing show. I never saw them again because sveeral year later it was like $150. They just jumped on the hiked ticket price bandwagon like everyone else. I don't blame them, I would too.
    Everyone is crazy expensive. My wife wants to see Pink, and its like $180 a ticket.
    Not sure what you call big sales but AC/DC has sold a ton of albums! 
    Take a look even in the Seventies they were selling pretty good..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    Looking for someone to have posted a year by year comparison.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,197
    Get_Right said:
    The lion king is $300 a ticket. Yankees or rangers is $300 a ticket. I'd rather pay $300 to see Ed or the full band. It is what it is. I charge $500 an hour, 2.5 hours with me will cost you much more than 2.5 hours of Ed.  He is more talented than me.

Sweet zombie jebus!!!! What line of work are you in?

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,235
    Brisk. said:
    Looking for someone to have posted a year by year comparison.
    A sampling of mine over the years:

96: $27
    98: $29
    00: $35
    03: $38
    04: $54
    06: $56
    08: $62
    09: $68
    10: $79
    13: $79
    16: $85
    18: $103
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    Get_Right said:

Land shark.  =)
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

I think the other thing to remember, is that even if newer albums weren't as popular and moved less copies, the back catalog continue to sell lots of copies.   When pirating took off, they (and most other bands) lost both.  

Also, sometimes I find it funny it took bands so long to figure out the true demand and pricing for tickets.  Our concert sold on in 3 seconds.. maybe we could of charged more didn't seem to be a thing for decades.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Well considering you are such a baller, can you pay them to play Get Right? It's the song with the the longest last played date. 
  • Options
    Brisk. said:
    Get_Right said:
    Well considering you are such a baller, can you pay them to play Get Right? It's the song with the the longest last played date. 

I wish I had that kind of pull. Play more Riot Act you pussies.
  • Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 353
    BF89905 said:
    Canadian tickets were $150 for the 2020/22 shows in Toronto and Hamilton. I'm going to get priced out soon. Zero chance I pay anything close to $475 for a pair of tickets. They're my all-time favourite band and the shows are always great, yet that's not a price I'm willing to pay. We'll see how things play out. Be well everyone
    I haven't even read a single post yet and i know this will turn into a sh&t show.

• Options
    Get_Right said:
    Brisk. said:
    Get_Right said:

I wish I had that kind of pull. Play more Riot Act you pussies.
    Fort Worth night 2.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    demetrios said:
    Get_Right said:

Land shark.  =)

Nice!

• Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,788
    Easy $150/ticket, and with Chicago being a state where we screw ourselves with ticket resale laws I’m not surprised if I end up paying $$$ from fans buying without intent to go. 

Then again, I got a friend in Minneapolis and may spend less to see him and a show vs United Center if things get out of hand.
  • Options
    tschav said:
    Easy $150/ticket, and with Chicago being a state where we screw ourselves with ticket resale laws I’m not surprised if I end up paying $$$ from fans buying without intent to go. 

If only Ticketmaster could fix this ... Where those who buy tickets to the show have it in their name. So there is no way you can transfer or resell those bought tickets. If you can't make it to the show it's your lose. This though, will never happen. 
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    tschav said:

If only Ticketmaster could fix this ... Where those who buy tickets to the show have it in their name. So there is no way you can transfer or resell those bought tickets. If you can't make it to the show it's your lose. This though, will never happen. 

They do, don't they?  PJ started it with the Fan2Fan portal which is just TM's reseller portal with a fixed price.  I read that The Cult was using the same portal to restrict their ticket resales.

I think the issue is it's illegal to do this in several states.   Tickets have to be transferable in certain states, which defacto makes it impossible to stop scalping.  In this case I think TM is handcuffed by state law, so the laws would need to change.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    demetrios said:
    tschav said:

They do, don't they?  PJ started it with the Fan2Fan portal which is just TM's reseller portal with a fixed price.  I read that The Cult was using the same portal to restrict their ticket resales.

I think the issue is it's illegal to do this in several states.   Tickets have to be transferable in certain states, which defacto makes it impossible to stop scalping.  In this case I think TM is handcuffed by state law, so the laws would need to change.

D'oh! Forgot about the Fan2Fan thing.

If it's illegal to do it in several states, then bands should stop playing at those states until they fix this law. *twisted evil