Options

Democrats

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,860
    edited September 2023
    JB16057 said:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/sen-bob-menendez-indicted-federal-charges-rcna111447

Just another Democrat doing Democrat things.... Foreign Relations Committee Chair..... This is his second indictment yet the Democrats still give him these powerful positions.
    seems your team is actually "winning" that race:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/23/politics/bob-menendez-democrat-republican-what-matters/index.html

corruption is all over the place. it's not a partisan issue. 

Federal cases against recent members of Congress

These are federal cases against current or former federal lawmakers. I was able to find nine targeting Republicans and eight targeting Democrats.

Former Rep. Jeff Fortenberry, a Republican from Nebraska – Found guilty in 2022 of three felonies in a case that centered on campaign contributions.

Former Rep. TJ Cox, a Democrat from California – Still awaiting trial after his 2022 indictment, including for fraudulent campaign contributions.

Former Rep. Duncan Hunter, a Republican from California – Sentenced to 11 months in prison for misusing campaign funds, but later pardoned by Trump.

Former Rep. Chris Collins, a Republican from New York – Sentenced to 26 months in prison for insider trading, but later pardoned by Trump.

Former Rep. Corrine Brown, a Democrat from Florida – Served more than two years for setting up a false charity.

Former Rep. Steve Stockman, a Republican from Texas – Sentenced to 10 years in prison for multiple felonies including fraud and money laundering, but pardoned by Trump after serving part of his sentence.

Former Rep. Anthony Weiner, a Democrat from New York – Sentenced to 21 months in prison for sexting with a minor.

Former Rep. Chaka Fattah, a Democrat from Pennsylvania – Sentenced to 10 years in prison for racketeering, fraud and money laundering.

Former Rep. Michael Grimm, a Republican from New York – Pleaded guilty and sentenced to eight months in prison for tax evasion. Attempted to run again for Congress.

Former Rep. Rick Renzi, a Republican from Arizona – Sentenced to three years for corruption. Pardoned by Trump after he served time.

Sen. Bob Menendez, a Democrat from New Jersey – Acquitted by a judge and other charges dismissed after a jury deadlocked in a bribery case.

Former Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., a Democrat from Illinois – Sentenced to 30 months in prison for misusing campaign funds.

Former Sen. Ted Stevens, a Republican from Alaska – Conviction by jury for lying on ethics forms was later set aside over allegations of prosecutorial misconduct.

Former Rep. William Jefferson, a Democrat from Louisiana – Sentenced to 13 years for corruption and soliciting bribes. There was video of him taking $100,000 from an African official. Served multiple years in prison, but many of the charges were later vacated by a judge based on a US Supreme Court decision.

Former Rep. Bob Ney, a Republican from Ohio – Sentenced to 30 months after a guilty plea for corruption tied to disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff.

Former Rep. Randy “Duke” Cunningham, a Republican from California – Sentenced to eight years in prison after a guilty plea for bribery. Later pardoned by Trump.

Former Rep. James Traficant, a Democrat from Ohio – Sentenced to eight years in prison for corruption after defending himself during trial. Was later expelled from the House.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,932
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    this man is Rep Andy Kim, NJ. He has announced he will run against Menendez .....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,296
    edited September 2023
    It looks like Menendez is taking a page from the Clay Davis playbook. That cash was just his savings, because Castro! You know, walking around money! Sheeeeeee-it.

His shamelessness is impressive.

Post edited by curmudgeoness on
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,296
    Something like eighteen Democratic senators, including Cory Booker, now calling for Menendez to resign.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    dem's should just be like the republicans. ignore the scandal and let the guy stay. lol Dems hold themselves to a higher standard than R's at every turn. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    dem's should just be like the republicans. ignore the scandal and let the guy stay. lol Dems hold themselves to a higher standard than R's at every turn. 
    we already made al franken resign for much less. that only works if both parties hold themselves to the same standard, which we all know will never ever happen.

he apparently took a bribe, which by today's standards, is basically getting lobbied.

all that said, he should resign so the governor can maybe appoint someone else.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    we already made al franken resign for much less. that only works if both parties hold themselves to the same standard, which we all know will never ever happen.

he apparently took a bribe, which by today's standards, is basically getting lobbied.

all that said, he should resign so the governor can maybe appoint someone else.
    Yes, when I read that his replacement is appointed, then fine. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    APPOINT AL FRANKEN LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

• Options

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    edited September 2023
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    edited September 2023

wow. so does he pull a house member to fill or tap a state party person?

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,769
    R.I.P.
    Governor Newsom will have to name a replacement soon, but likely not in time to avert a government shutdown.  No disrespect to the senator, but I don't understand why she refused to step down months ago.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Anyone know Hillary’s whereabouts?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    R.I.P.
    Governor Newsom will have to name a replacement soon, but likely not in time to avert a government shutdown.  No disrespect to the senator, but I don't understand why she refused to step down months ago.
    Cause she sucks like all the other old rotting Congress people (and presidents) that won’t get out of the way and have to maintain power and the benefits that come with it.

just wait until Mitch freezes and never moves again. 

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    R.I.P.
    ahem, years ago?

RIP 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    R.I.P.
    Cause she sucks like all the other old rotting Congress people (and presidents) that won’t get out of the way and have to maintain power and the benefits that come with it.

"light headed". BWAHAHAHA. what an absolute joke. get the dinosaurs out of the way. I have forced retirement based on age. No reason these people can't have the same thing. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    R.I.P.

Earlier this month, California Gov. Gavin Newsom reiterated his pledge to appoint a Black woman to Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s seat if necessary, but he also said he’d make an “interim appointment” who wouldn’t be any of the candidates who are seeking the seat in next year’s election.

"It would be completely unfair to the Democrats that have worked their tail off," Newsom said in a September 10 interview on NBC's "Meet the Press." "That primary is just a matter of months away. I don't want to tip the balance of that."

That would rule out Rep. Barbara Lee, a Black woman who is one of three House members in the race.

After Newsom’s comments earlier this month, Lee posted on X, formerly known as Twitter, that she was “troubled by the Governor’s remarks.” 

“The idea that a Black woman should be appointed only as a caretaker to simply check a box is insulting to countless Black women across this country who have carried the Democratic Party to victory election after election,” Lee wrote. “If the Governor intends to keep his promise and appoint a Black woman to the Senate, the people of California deserve the best possible person for that job. Not a token appointment.” 

Newsom responded to Lee in an interview with CNN’s Dana Bash on September 18.

“I appreciate that point of view,” Newsom said. “If under that hypothetical situation I'm asked to make an appointment, I will make an appointment of an African American woman, period, full stop. And why? Because I think, (the) best person should be there, and I happen to think that representation matters.”

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    R.I.P.

Earlier this month, California Gov. Gavin Newsom reiterated his pledge to appoint a Black woman to Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s seat if necessary, but he also said he’d make an “interim appointment” who wouldn’t be any of the candidates who are seeking the seat in next year’s election.

"It would be completely unfair to the Democrats that have worked their tail off," Newsom said in a September 10 interview on NBC's "Meet the Press." "That primary is just a matter of months away. I don't want to tip the balance of that."

That would rule out Rep. Barbara Lee, a Black woman who is one of three House members in the race.

After Newsom’s comments earlier this month, Lee posted on X, formerly known as Twitter, that she was “troubled by the Governor’s remarks.” 

“The idea that a Black woman should be appointed only as a caretaker to simply check a box is insulting to countless Black women across this country who have carried the Democratic Party to victory election after election,” Lee wrote. “If the Governor intends to keep his promise and appoint a Black woman to the Senate, the people of California deserve the best possible person for that job. Not a token appointment.” 

“I appreciate that point of view,” Newsom said. “If under that hypothetical situation I'm asked to make an appointment, I will make an appointment of an African American woman, period, full stop. And why? Because I think, (the) best person should be there, and I happen to think that representation matters.”

I agree that black representation is a fine idea, but what if there are no qualified black women to fill Feinstein's position?  Wouldn't that be like saying, "We're going to have a black woman fly this passenger airliner- full stop.  If we can't find a black female pilot we'll have use whomever we can find, maybe a black female flight attendant."
    That just doesn't make sense.  (But what does these days?)

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    brianlux said:
    R.I.P.

I was listening to his speech about Feinstein earlier...I kept thinking how crazy it would be if he froze up again
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    We shouldn't be having our representatives die of old age while still in office.  Let's get some term limits.  
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    R.I.P.

I agree that black representation is a fine idea, but what if there are no qualified black women to fill Feinstein's position?  Wouldn't that be like saying, "We're going to have a black woman fly this passenger airliner- full stop.  If we can't find a black female pilot we'll have use whomever we can find, maybe a black female flight attendant."

I would assume a guy like Newsom is smart enough to make a statement like that already having several black women in mind. Not just "we're gonna find a fine black woman for this position". he already knows which ones he wants, and will narrow it down from there, if he doesn't have one specifically picked already. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    R.I.P.

I would assume a guy like Newsom is smart enough to make a statement like that already having several black women in mind. Not just "we're gonna find a fine black woman for this position". he already knows which ones he wants, and will narrow it down from there, if he doesn't have one specifically picked already. 

Possible.  I know he likely has Barbara Lee in mind.  But his statement concerns me nevertheless.  Katie Porter and Adam Schiff having been in the running for the senate race primary, so making that statement could be seen in an ill light by many voters.  Besides which, that adds to the already strong movement further to the right in GOP stronghold counties like the one I live in, and others.  That kind of statement actually does more to motivate conservatives further to the right, and can do more to deepen racial biases rather the quell them.  It ould have made more sense for him to have stated his strong desire for a black woman to fill Feinstein's seat, rather than a such a declarative statement that has a flavor of being obstinate..  Newsom is the kind of politician who fuels right wing reactionary thinking rather than reduce it.  That is not an excuse for the current unhinged right wing behavior, but I think it is a fact that politicians like Newsom actually add fuel to that fire.

Besides all that, the bottom line for me is that I wish Feinstein had either retired before her last term started or lived long enough for the voters to make the choice rather than one politician who is already very power hungry.  A progressive leaning candidate would have very likely have been elected anyway, Lee just as possibly as one of the other two democrats.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,666
    We are such a dumb country.  People should not be holding such important positions when they are old as hell. I'm sorry for her that she passed away.  
    I'm not hopeful that the moron voters will learn from this, and Mitch, and the two fossils positioning to be President.  These are the hardest jobs and should be going to be people well past retirement age.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    We are such a dumb country.  People should not be holding such important positions when they are old as hell. I'm sorry for her that she passed away.  
    I'm not hopeful that the moron voters will learn from this, and Mitch, and the two fossils positioning to be President.  These are the hardest jobs and should be going to be people well past retirement age.
    How old are you? Guess you’re out of consideration, eh?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

Totally agree.  I will vote for Biden over Trump if I have to (because unfortunately that's probably what it will come down to), but other than that, it's time for our elderly (the 80 and up anyway) law makers to gracefully get the hell out of politics.  
    At the same time, I do believe we do well to seek council and advice from our wise elders.

• Options
    Oh, I see what you did.  You funny, you a funny man.  Ha.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,666
    Haha.  Should NOT.  Whoops!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved