Comments

• Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,504
    PJNB said:
    100 Pacer said:
    JimmyV said:
    100 Pacer said:
    JimmyV said:
    (Hey Canada...this thread was supposed to be a celebration of you. That it has descended into a discussion of Covid regulations and testing requirements is your own fault. Boo.)
    We hang our heads in shame.
    I still like you guys. 
    If we just had Cracker Barrel it would be perfect.
    You've got Swiss Chalet though...
    Just looked up Swiss Chalet.   :) Might have to make a stop to try it out.
    Decent side ribs and rotisserie chicken. Nothing crazy though. Fries are good too. 
    ^^^This.

Would still prefer Cracker Barrel.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    100 Pacer said:
    PJNB said:
    100 Pacer said:
    JimmyV said:
    100 Pacer said:
    JimmyV said:
    (Hey Canada...this thread was supposed to be a celebration of you. That it has descended into a discussion of Covid regulations and testing requirements is your own fault. Boo.)
    We hang our heads in shame.
    I still like you guys. 
    If we just had Cracker Barrel it would be perfect.
    You've got Swiss Chalet though...
    Just looked up Swiss Chalet.   :) Might have to make a stop to try it out.
    Decent side ribs and rotisserie chicken. Nothing crazy though. Fries are good too. 
    ^^^This.

Would still prefer Cracker Barrel.
    same....we passed so may of them on our way from Detroit to London, ON a few years back I just had to stop at one.

The poutine gravy was too generic in my opinion. Good chicken though.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,174
    In Quebec, instead of Swiss Chalet, there’s St Hubert.  I like that one more, though both are good.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,339
    JimmyV said:
    Covid protections..... There's a little more 'we' than 'me' up here. Be well, everyone
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878
    I think most of us who share a sense of common sense are fine with a little more we than me, especially these days. I just want it to make sense, and it is unclear if those regulations really do. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,339
    JimmyV said:
    I think most of us who share a sense of common sense are fine with a little more we than me, especially these days. I just want it to make sense, and it is unclear if those regulations really do. 

Common sense is always good.... Take care 
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    Bingo.  Even public health experts in Canada question the purpose of the random testing.  It’s bureaucracy at this point.  And I bubbled and masked and vaxxed as much as anyone.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• Options
    3 of 4 here! 
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,796
    JimmyV said:
    Bingo.  Even public health experts in Canada question the purpose of the random testing.  It’s bureaucracy at this point.  And I bubbled and masked and vaxxed as much as anyone.  
    If you have eaten at Swiss Chalet you are immune to Covid-19,  small pox and syphilis.  
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,099
    JimmyV said:

Yah I don't get it either.  Covid is everywhere, most people don't seem to have too many problems when the contract it.   It's rampant on both sides of the border.  Random testing doesn't do anything.

I feel like they should scrap it and the arrivecan app.

I'm not so Naive that I don't reserve the right to change my mind of we get some super horrible strain of Covid, but if it keeps on being the same thing I don't see the need for all the hoops.
  • Options
    PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    Zod said:
    JimmyV said:

Yah I don't get it either.  Covid is everywhere, most people don't seem to have too many problems when the contract it.   It's rampant on both sides of the border.  Random testing doesn't do anything.

I feel like they should scrap it and the arrivecan app.

I'm not so Naive that I don't reserve the right to change my mind of we get some super horrible strain of Covid, but if it keeps on being the same thing I don't see the need for all the hoops.
    You are 100% right 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113
    JimmyV said:

Has anyone figured out the short stay requirements? 

I'm entering Canada day 1 at night, testing and seeing PJ day 2, and getting test results day 3 or later? I'm on my way home by 11am day 3.

Can I just turn off my phone and leave that morning? Or, can I just not test until I get home day 3?

Thats actually safer for everyone in Canada if I happen to test positive. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,740
    edited August 2022
    JimmyV said:

I'm entering Canada day 1 at night, testing and seeing PJ day 2, and getting test results day 3 or later? I'm on my way home by 11am day 3.

Can I just turn off my phone and leave that morning? Or, can I just not test until I get home day 3?

https://health.canada.ca/en/public-health/corporate/contact-us.html

Scroll to the bottom click 

Covid 19

Travel and Quarantine Requirements. 

You can ask here and they should get back to you in a couple of days hopefully. 

• Options
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:

Covid 19

Thanks, I submitted my question.

I get that they are trying to track variants. But trapping short stay visitors with no option to leave plus ten days hotel plus meals is a huge penalty, and doesn't do a thing to keep the country safer. And is a risk to my employment. 

(The testing helps science, but they're allowing me to see the show with 20k fans, so whats gained by trapping visitors?)
  • Options
    rival9500rival9500 Posts: 532
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:

Covid 19

I get that they are trying to track variants. But trapping short stay visitors with no option to leave plus ten days hotel plus meals is a huge penalty, and doesn't do a thing to keep the country safer. And is a risk to my employment. 

(The testing helps science, but they're allowing me to see the show with 20k fans, so whats gained by trapping visitors?)
    My plans are the same as yours timing wise.  Looking forward to hearing their answer.
    1998: Pitt
    2000: Pitt
    2003: Pitt, State College, Columbus,DC, Hershey
    2004: Reading, Toledo, DC
    2005: Pitt
    2006: Cleve, Camden 1+2, DC, Pitt, Cinci
    2008: Camden 1+2, DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Columbus
    2012: Philly
    2013: Pitt, NYC 1+2
  • Options
    rival9500 said:
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:

Covid 19

My plans are the same as yours timing wise.  Looking forward to hearing their answer.

So far, just a generic “we have so many emails so it could delayed” response. This policy is so unreasonable, it requires more detailed information on their govt site that is just not there. Tracking variants is important, but is that really worth imprisoning innocent visitors and fining them thousands of dollars in hotels and per diem and loss of ability to earn money  ? Why is there no option to get in my car and leave peacefully if I test positive? I can roam free among twenty thousand PJ fans, but afterwards be required to a ten day quarantine? Beyond unreasonable.

Canada clearly doesn’t  want visitors post Covid, a little taste of trumpism north of the border. But they want to appear as if they are reasonably allowing visitors. The more I consider this, the more unreasonable this policy appears.

So the simple fix for me is to not cross the border Friday evening. I want to visit parliament (outside) before the show, take some pics, and get a nice flavor of our former peaceful neighbor to the north. I can still do that if I cross Saturday morning, cancel my Friday night Ottawa hotel, and stay in northern NYS. Great move for your economy, Canada! Since testing is not required until 11.59 PM on day two of visits, I’ll be back in the peaceful confines of my beloved and peaceful America by then and happily comply with testing from there.
  • Options
    Canadian friends...any insight on this? How has it worked for visitors you know? 

• Options
    "If you’re selected for a mandatory arrival test, you’re under a legal obligation to take the test within the required timeframe. If you don't comply, you may face fines, or other enforcement measures."

I feel like if "other enforcement measures" meant preventing Americans from leaving, it would be big news by now. 

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I would imagine the measure would be the opposite: forced ejection from the country at your expense. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    From the U.S. Embassy. This doesn't read to me like Americans are in danger of being detained. Would think there would be a warning here if they were.

Important Information on Entry to Canada

All travelers eligible to enter Canada must submit contact and travel information in the ArriveCAN system within 72 hours before arrival to Canada. Fully vaccinated travelers must also enter their proof of vaccination.

Fully vaccinated travelers do not need to provide a pre-entry COVID-19 test result to enter Canada by air, land, or water. Please review recent changes here.

For additional information on travel for fully vaccinated U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents, please click here.

• Options
    steven87steven87 Posts: 1,188
    rival9500 said:
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:

Covid 19

So far, just a generic “we have so many emails so it could delayed” response. This policy is so unreasonable, it requires more detailed information on their govt site that is just not there. Tracking variants is important, but is that really worth imprisoning innocent visitors and fining them thousands of dollars in hotels and per diem and loss of ability to earn money  ? Why is there no option to get in my car and leave peacefully if I test positive? I can roam free among twenty thousand PJ fans, but afterwards be required to a ten day quarantine? Beyond unreasonable.

Canada clearly doesn’t  want visitors post Covid, a little taste of trumpism north of the border. But they want to appear as if they are reasonably allowing visitors. The more I consider this, the more unreasonable this policy appears.

So the simple fix for me is to not cross the border Friday evening. I want to visit parliament (outside) before the show, take some pics, and get a nice flavor of our former peaceful neighbor to the north. I can still do that if I cross Saturday morning, cancel my Friday night Ottawa hotel, and stay in northern NYS. Great move for your economy, Canada! Since testing is not required until 11.59 PM on day two of visits, I’ll be back in the peaceful confines of my beloved and peaceful America by then and happily comply with testing from there.
    I’m doing something similar. I’m driving up early Saturday morning, staying over in Ottawa that night, and then driving back the next morning. It does look like though that if you are randomly selected for a test and test positive, you can still hopefully (with the permission of a quarantine officer) leave the country and go back to the US if you are driving by car. See the answer to the last question in the link below:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/isolation
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    rival9500 said:
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:

Covid 19

I don't see it as Trumpism. I see it as beaurocracy. We seem farily slow at catching up to logic post(present) covid and changing policy that flows with the science. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Honestly you’re overthinking it:

If you’re an American with proof of vaccination crossing for a day or three or five odds are you won’t be bothered for a test. Drive up and enjoy the show/s and don’t be anxious. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    100 Pacer said:

If you’re an American with proof of vaccination crossing for a day or three or five odds are you won’t be bothered for a test. Drive up and enjoy the show/s and don’t be anxious. 
    I agree and a very likely scenario is a border agent would lol with me about it once I disclose I’d be leaving in 3 days. But, very important info could have been disclosed by the govt to alleviate these concerns. The Canadian govt are saying our lives are not important enough for minimal consideration of adequate disclosure 

And the penalty for playing the odds is significant. Some of us, whether getting screwed by the odds in our lives for health or career or other things, see cost instead of benefit when trying to successfully game the system, for which so many are successful. I am hopeful my solution of spending one night in NYS to keep my stay under 48 hours eliminates this potential huge penalty.

Sorry for hurting what should be a celebratory vibe. I look forward to a hopefully incredible show in a beautiful capital city with incredible fans
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,796
    100 Pacer said:

Your odds are 1 in 20 you will be tested or 19 in 20 that you won’t be required to test.   Take the 95% and run with it.  
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    100 Pacer said:

Right on point. Way too much overthinking here, even though I fully understand the concerns given how vague and random the rules are. The timing of the four Canadian shows is just perfect. Weather will be great, unless it's Indian summer and you hate the heat (if you know what I mean). 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• Options
    The odds of being selected have nothing to do with where you’re coming from or how long you’re staying.  It’s a pure 1/20 lottery.  

The strategy of arriving and departing before the testing deadline (i.e. the one night stay) seems to make sense.  As a matter of fact as a Canadian returning to Canada between two US shows I might have to consider this strategy myself.  

• Options
    I haven't done this in a while, but do we even talk to a border agent from the country we are leaving when crossing the U.S./Canada border by car? On the way in, yes, but on the way out?

• Options
    edited August 2022
    JimmyV said:
    I haven't done this in a while, but do we even talk to a border agent from the country we are leaving when crossing the U.S./Canada border by car? On the way in, yes, but on the way out?
    You’re speaking to Canada customs when you enter Canada and you’re speaking to US customs when you enter the States. No one prior.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    100 Pacer said:
    JimmyV said:
    You’re speaking to Canada customs when you enter Canada and you’re speaking to US customs when you enter the States. No one prior.
    Bingo. That's what I thought. So no Canadian authority is going to be checking whether or not you even took your random test on the way out, positive or negative result.   
    Post edited by JimmyV on