Options

The Setlist

Comments

• Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,161
    kaw753 said:
    Be interesting to see what happens with London and Amsterdam back to back shows 
    If I remember this correctly, they played Alive and Evenflow at back-to-back shows at Ohana. I thought it was odd they wouldn't just swap in Jeremy or something if they were looking to "play the hits" or play something they didn't need to rehearse.
    I've been to back to back shows before and while there are repeats if I remember correctly not many, be interesting to see if that's still the case 
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,873
    My only complaint is I prefer more Gigaton. Amazing album that never got it’s proper tour. 

Can Who Ever Said finally get played outside of California? Lol 
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    unknownunknown Posts: 531
    The way the trend is going I’m worried it could go to a 15 song set and 3 song encore and call it a night

i hope I’m wrong
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 758
    You know what would be fun? Instead of doing one of these album tours that every band does, have a tour where the nightly setlist is just randomly generated from the master song list. Your odds of hearing Evenflow are the same as Sweet Lew.

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    My only complaint is I prefer more Gigaton. Amazing album that never got it’s proper tour. 

Can Who Ever Said finally get played outside of California? Lol 
    Yes, more Gigaton please. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,119
    nicknyr15 said:
    unknown said:
    Say what you want about third eye blind, they change their setlist and play over 3 hours
    I just looked at setlistfm and their last show was 21 songs and they have only  27 songs total in their rotation for the tour. 
    Sad that I honestly don’t know if you’re talking about Third eye blind or PJ right now. 
    I was talking about shitty band, third eye blind. 

Interesting  alot of comparisons are to TEB and Sir Paul, to me the big comparison is to the Grateful Dead, PJ worked hard for years to build that level mystique. Yes they owe us nothing except their best effort when they charge money for shows. What’s challenging is some are getting 20 song sets with three covers , and others getting 23 with none. Oh well.

But if the Dead changed it up, it would have been discussed by their fans endlessly, which is what we are doing. It’s a significant change for the fans. The Jerry tragedy in his fifties is a good example of possibly wanting to scale things back a bit. But Bob, Mickey and Bill are still doing the long shows well into their seventies.
  • Options
    apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    The Dead changed it up a lot but there were a lot of repeats etc.  While set list wise the Dead might be a good road map for PJ but I am glad that is all they are really influenced by because touring destroyed that band and pretty much killed Jerry. He surrounded himself with terrible people who always needed him and he never took care of himself because he was always pressured to do something because so many people relied on him for a paycheck.  Kind of sounds familiar to something that recently happened huh?
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,119
    edited June 2022
    It’s very tricky bringing up the Jerry comparison because it ended in such a tragedy, and the expectations placed on him or him on himself turned out to be terrible.

But looking at yesterdays set list, four hours with a 30 minute break, holy cow. 
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    Seen a few people cite McCartney as an example of what the band could be doing. You all are aware Paul plays the same set every night, right?

Petty and the HB maybe swapped out 2-3 songs per show but for the last 20-25 years of their career (apart from the residencies) it was New Album and the Hits.

Springsteen/E St mix it up a bit but it’s mostly the newest stuff (or whatever anniversary record they’re touring) and the hits.

See a pattern? Pearl Jam, like many of the greatest bands of all time — their primary influences and peers — is playing new material, their well-known songs, and a few odds and ends. They may mix it up more down the road, they may not! 

Oh, and for the “why so much Ten?!” crowd: maybe because the band was stuck at home like the rest of us, uncertain what shows would look like in the coming years, when that landmark album’s 30th anniversary came and went without an opportunity to celebrate. Maybe they’re playing those songs because it’s an important record to the band? Not every decision they make has to be for us.
    Great answer for “why so much ten” and you’re probably correct.  
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I do find it pretty weird that people are wondering why professional musicians would be playing their most successful work so much in concert.  

On the bright side you guys got me blasting Third Eye Blind’s live album on this Sunday morning.   Thank you!  

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,024
    I don’t think this ”they were in a rush and didn’t have the time to rehearse” hold much water. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    unknownunknown Posts: 531
    3eb is legit and their live shows are top notch 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,760
    I do find it pretty weird that people are wondering why professional musicians would be playing their most successful work so much in concert.  

On the bright side you guys got me blasting Third Eye Blind’s live album on this Sunday morning.   Thank you!  

They always played it heavily.

The difference now though compared to the last two decades is how much percentage of the show is off of Ten. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I have been to 17 shows and I am one Release away from hearing Ten in full 4 times. I love Ten. It is what got this band popular. I love their other 10 albums as well though. As a fan that loves to hear new songs and certain songs that get little playtime having sets Ten heavy cuts into those songs.

That’s my opinion for what kind of sets that I enjoy and I am not sure why people find that weird or a negative comment. If the sets going forward are not my style I will still go see the best band in the world just a bit less. If these sets are good for you that’s great too. I hope you go to more! 

Edit: I would like to add that this is coming from someone that is doing 10 plus shows this year too. I picked a hell of a year to do so many. If I was only doing 1 or 2 shows my opinion likely would be very different. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    deadlax97deadlax97 Posts: 32
    "Heavily" is relative. I was listening to Jones Beach 2000 and it has 2 Ten songs. It has been in heavy rotation over the last decade. You are guaranteed Porch, Even Flow and Alive every night. You are probably going to get one of black and Jeremy as well as one of Once and Why Go. Probably 1-2 of the 5 remaining songs not for certain played. It has been like that since the 2013 tour. And that's okay. It's also what a large majority of the fanbase (probably not the posting Ten Club members) want to hear. 

They also don't change up those every night songs even if they are playing back to back nights in the same venue. It has been like that forever. It's not a recent development in 21-22. 

I do wish they would sample from more of their catalogue. I would also like a guaranteed 5-6 Gigaton songs minimum every night. This is the Gigaton tour. It is likely you won't hear many of them very often after this tour. 

Be lucky they are still touring. This is not the first fanbase that has had to deal with significant shifts in the music of the band they follow. It will also not be the last. If it's your time, move on. 
  • Options
    unknown said:
    3eb is legit and their live shows are top notch 
    They stole the A studio from Mötley Crüe
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    You were guaranteed Evenflow and Alive every night before this tour. Everything else used to swap in and out. Even Porch, which would get played one night and be replaced by RVM the next. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,890
    PJNB said:
    I have been to 17 shows and I am one Release away from hearing Ten in full 4 times. I love Ten. It is what got this band popular. I love their other 10 albums as well though. As a fan that loves to hear new songs and certain songs that get little playtime having sets Ten heavy cuts into those songs.

That’s my opinion for what kind of sets that I enjoy and I am not sure why people find that weird or a negative comment. If the sets going forward are not my style I will still go see the best band in the world just a bit less. If these sets are good for you that’s great too. I hope you go to more! 

Edit: I would like to add that this is coming from someone that is doing 10 plus shows this year too. I picked a hell of a year to do so many. If I was only doing 1 or 2 shows my opinion likely would be very different. 
    Spectrum 2003 was my 17th show.  ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:

Did they dedicate You Are to you? Looks like a great set. 
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    Two observations from me:
    1. I may be in the extreme minority, but I prefer shorter shows to longer ones. Longer ones can be (although aren't necessarily) indulgent. Shorter ones can't be. 
    2. I spent years - years - complaining about Tragically Hip setlists - how the shows were too short, how the band didn't vary the songs enough, blah blah blah blah blah. Today, I'd give a fucking kidney to see the shortest, blandest Tragically Hip show imaginable. And I've only got one kidney. So.
    I dunno. I guess I'm just grateful for the fact that these guys are still out there, y'know? We've lost the Hip, Soundgarden/Chris Cornell, Tom Petty and Taylor Hawkins (potentially along with his main band) in the past few years. I'm not suggesting that those of you raising perfectly valid questions about the setlists aren't grateful, by the way. This is just how I choose to look at it.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    NWOntario said:
    Two observations from me:
    1. I may be in the extreme minority, but I prefer shorter shows to longer ones. Longer ones can be (although aren't necessarily) indulgent. Shorter ones can't be. 
    2. I spent years - years - complaining about Tragically Hip setlists - how the shows were too short, how the band didn't vary the songs enough, blah blah blah blah blah. Today, I'd give a fucking kidney to see the shortest, blandest Tragically Hip show imaginable. And I've only got one kidney. So.
    I dunno. I guess I'm just grateful for the fact that these guys are still out there, y'know? We've lost the Hip, Soundgarden/Chris Cornell, Tom Petty and Taylor Hawkins (potentially along with his main band) in the past few years. I'm not suggesting that those of you raising perfectly valid questions about the setlists aren't grateful, by the way. This is just how I choose to look at it.
    Well put. I hear you. 

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    You were guaranteed Evenflow and Alive every night before this tour. Everything else used to swap in and out. Even Porch, which would get played one night and be replaced by RVM the next. 
    If one goes through the setlists I think one will see that Porch is pretty much as given as Alive and Evenflow. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,790
    I could look past the shorter sets. It’s harder to look past the lack of variety for me personally. 23-26 would be perfection. But these sets need more variety desperately. 

16 song set 
    4-5 song encore 
    3-5 song encore 2 depending on how they feel 

this format would help it feel more like what we’re used to. The current format you’re almost guaranteed to not get any acoustic gems. 

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    I could look past the shorter sets. It’s harder to look past the lack of variety for me personally. 23-26 would be perfection. But these sets need more variety desperately. 

16 song set 
    4-5 song encore 

this format would help it feel more like what we’re used to. The current format you’re almost guaranteed to not get any acoustic gems. 

That's a great point but also an indicator that this format is likely temporary. They aren't going to just abandon many of those songs. 

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,890
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:

Did they dedicate You Are to you? Looks like a great set. 
    They they did.  Could Be the loudest crowd I ve ever heard.  It was deafening bud.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,790
    JimmyV said:
    nicknyr15 said:

16 song set 
    4-5 song encore 

That's a great point but also an indicator that this format is likely temporary. They aren't going to just abandon many of those songs. 
    I’m not so confident about that anymore. 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    nicknyr15 said:
    JimmyV said:
    nicknyr15 said:

16 song set 
    4-5 song encore 

I’m not so confident about that anymore. 
    Yeah, I think the setlist change is related to age and age related issues.  If they find they can play 23 songs a night with 20 minutes of story time and still sellout 20 shows a year, that is probably what we will get going forward.   
  • Options
    GP179117GP179117 Posts: 362
    So I guess they're only gonna play 20ish songs at MSG, right?
    Tempers are wearing thin. Let's hope some robot doesn't kill everybody.
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,631
    edited June 2022
    GP179117 said:
    So I guess they're only gonna play 20ish songs at MSG, right?
    Probably 23-25, but theres no indication that MSG, or any of the fall shows, will be any different from the first 10 or so shows we have seen this year

I would assume that this is the new format going forward until they prove otherwise
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    GhostChileGhostChile Posts: 1,111
    The 15 staples are the better ones for Eddie's voice because the crowd sing as loud as they can..
    So maybe there is that.
    Mexico City 17/7/2003
    Mexico City 18/7/2003
    Mexico City 19/7/2003
    Santiago Chile 22/11/2005
    Santiago Chile 23/11/2005
    Buenos Aires Argentina 13/11/2011
    Santiago Chile 16/11/2011
    Lima Perú 18/11/2011
    Sao Paulo Brasil 31/3/2013
    Buenos Aires Argentina 03/4/2013
    Santiago Chile 06/5/2013