Options

The Setlist

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    If this is the new normal going forward we'll all adjust. There may still be great shows ahead. But I am glad I got my bucket list Fenway shows during the 2013-2018 stanza of this band's career. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    PJNB said:
    unknown said:
    I think if you are being honest with yourself everyone is disappointed with a 20 song set
    I’m in the minority, but I like a shorter, tighter set. I’m old and my feet hurt by the end. Give me 20 or so and I’m good.
    I totally agree. 

I’m not  that old but I like getting home before midnight. Most of us have baby sitters etc.  it’s not the 90’s or 2000’s anymore. 

I had that realisation this summer at DMB.  All of a sudden it dawned on me that literally  everyone is 40 or older unless they brought their kids. These are the exact same people who I probably saw at 20 at shows.  It’s almost the exact fan base it was.  20 years ago I remembered seeing that random old guy in a vintage concert t shirt among the crowd. Today that’s everyone there.  We are that guy.

The band is old, but so are we 

Home before midnight tells me you are going to a home show. I think everyone can agree that your opinion on the matter is going to be vastly different than someone that is spending thousands to hit a show in your hometown. That is not a knock on either fan just a different mindset and investment for each show with time and money. Also 40 is not old damn it! Lol
    Yeah true. 

It was just really weird to see what should have been obvious for a while.  Honestly it never occurred to me that were all old(ish) now.  Everyone sees it in the band we don’t see it in ourselves. 

Much respect to those who can party like they are 20. I’m kind of jealous 
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,231
    Ready for a 40 song sit down acoustic show 
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,204
    Discopij said:
    I appreciate the many who are sticking to facts here:  and it’s been repeated by many but what hits me the hardest is how sudden and significant the change is.  That cannot be debated.  Going from 30+ songs at every show to 20-22 is a fact… and the change happening immediately is a fact … and the resulting reduction in set list variety is a data driven fact.  How this impacts your desire to see a show is up to you but you can’t pretend the changes aren’t real.
    Let’s also not forget a lot of these tickets were bought 2.5 years ago with the expectation that the set lists would remain similar. 

With that being said I fully understand the world has changed dramatically since then so Im on the fence about how I should feel about it. My general thought is any Pearl Jam is better than no Pearl Jam. I’ll go to my two shows in September and enjoy each immensely
  • Options
    DiscopijDiscopij Posts: 438
    “The world has changed” is an explanation for the 30% drop in songs and limited set list changes?  What?  We’ve all been impacted Significantly by covid yet nobody expects 30% less from us.  We move forward and try to be better versions of what we were before.  Again, I am not saying the band owes me anything, but stop trying to speak for the band and let them choose whether or not to acknowledge it. I’ll still be there in September but I have adjusted my expectations.
  • Options
    Discopij said:
    “The world has changed” is an explanation for the 30% drop in songs and limited set list changes?  What?  We’ve all been impacted Significantly by covid yet nobody expects 30% less from us.  We move forward and try to be better versions of what we were before.  Again, I am not saying the band owes me anything, but stop trying to speak for the band and let them choose whether or not to acknowledge it. I’ll still be there in September but I have adjusted my expectations.
    Maybe they are feeling long term effects. 3 of them have had Covid and they had to cancel two shows.  So yes things have changed
  • Options
    heartofadogheartofadog Portland, OR Posts: 352
    edited June 2022
    People have every right to complain, skip travel, whatever, but expecting a band to *explain* why they've made any decision is very strange to me. I guess it speaks to the connection this band has with their fans that some folks feel entitled to an explanation but it's just not something I'd ever expect or believe I was owed from a band. 

I don't mind a shorter show. I've been a fan for 30 years and honestly would be as happy to hear DTE for the 20th time as I would to hear Fatal or whatever b-side. I often wonder with folks who are so focused on setlist variety, do you even really like these rarely-played songs you're dying to hear? Y'all really wanna hear Gremmie? Love Boat Captain? Johnny Guitar? A bunch of songs they never play just because they never play 'em? A set full of their best songs is really a drag to you just because you've heard them all a bunch because you chose to travel and see the band 250 times or whatever?

There are definitely a few from Yield/Binaural/Riot Act/Backspacer/Lighting Bolt I'd like to hear but I'm also fine really with whatever they play.

I dunno. Like I said, people have a right to be disappointed, etc. This band has worked hard to build and sustain this community so in some ways it makes sense to me that people would like an explanation, it's just not how I personally feel.
    Post edited by heartofadog on
    1993: Portland, OR (09/06), Seattle, WA (12/07), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    1995: Seattle, WA (02/05)
    1996: Seattle, WA (09/16)
    1997:
    Oakland, CA (11/19)
    1998:
    Portland, OR (07/18), Seattle, WA (07/21), Seattle, WA (07/22)
    2000: Bellingham, WA (05/10), Vancouver, BC (05/11), Mountain View, CA (10/31), Portland, OR (11/02), Seattle, WA (11/05), Seattle, WA (11/06)
    2002: Seattle, WA (12/05), Seattle, WA (12/06), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    2003: Vancouver, BC (5/30), Seattle, WA (10/22), 
    2006: Portland, OR (07/20)
    2009: Berlin, DE (08/15), Seattle, WA (9/21), Seattle, WA (9/22)
    2010: Berlin, DE (06/30)
    2013: Los Angeles, CA (11/23), Los Angeles, CA (11/24), Portland, OR (11/29), Spokane, WA (11/30)
    2018: Seattle, WA (08/10)
    2022: Seattle, WA (2/22), New York, NY (9/10), New York, NY (9/11), Camden, NJ (9/14), Denver, CO (9/22)
    2023: St. Paul, MN (8/31), St. Paul, MN (9/02)
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Discopij said:
    I’ve been at a show that his voice was gone totally in   2018, then a rescheduled show that was previously cancelled because of his voice.

those were the last two shows I’ve been to, pre COVID obviously.  I’m not sure he’s up to it anymore singing that long for an entire tour.  I hope that’s not the case but it could be. It wasn’t even that deep into the tour I don’t think 

my perception may be clouded by the fact that that  was my last live experience.  
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    Discopij said:
    Maybe they are feeling long term effects. 3 of them have had Covid and they had to cancel two shows.  So yes things have changed
    Another example of someone trying to speak for them.  None of us know anything.
  • Options
    Discopij said:
    Thanks pjhawks said:
    Discopij said:
    Not at all just trying to explain that it’s not 2018.    It’s a different world for all of us.  
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    edited June 2022
    My son and I were just discussing this today.  He’s a huge DMB fan and travels everywhere to see them just as we do with PJ.  He asked me why I thought the sets weren’t as long any more and I told him to really think about it….I’m the same age as these guys and it’s a bitch just getting out of bed some days.  They owe us no explanations, yet I realize they spend a lot of  time thinking about their fans more than any other band I know of.  
     My husband spent Wednesday teaching children baseball at a camp and the special speaker was Ian Happ.  My husband intentionally walked him the last time he saw him at a high school game he was coaching against him and Ian remembered that.  The interesting part is the amount of praise and compliments he conveyed about Mr. Vedder (Ian saw all our pj stickers on our jeep).  So please, let’s not get ignorant or assume it’s one band members choice versus the rest to cut the set list.  This band, these men AND their
    families are good, normal people who give and give and give to their fans and their foundations, etc., and the band members aren’t young anymore, and they lost two years on stage due to covid.  Just be happy they’re together, still playing and traveling.  I’m just not going to allow anyone to bash them anymore without speaking the truth. 
    Post edited by cblock4life on
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    Discopij said:
    Thanks pjhawks said:
    Discopij said:
    Not at all just trying to explain that it’s not 2018.    It’s a different world for all of us.  
    Ok the world is different … but why does it explain this change?  Russia invaded Ukraine … does that mean concerts should shorter?  Roe v wade overturned … we don’t get to hear songs from the 2000s anymore?  My examples are extreme but it’s no different than justifying setlist changes for any other reason.
  • Options
    unknownunknown Posts: 531
    This is what made the band unique.  It’s kind of depressing seeing a 20 song set.  
  • Options
    unknown said:
    This is what made the band unique.  It’s kind of depressing seeing a 20 song set.  
    I agree it did make them unique but not repeating a set list in 30 years….we still get that.  I’m going to see the Killers soon and their set list is the same every single concert…now that is annoying and depressing.  Not repeating a set list is why we all travel so much to see them….all those truly unique songs that only true real fans know….we still get those as well…try to find the good things they still give us and give them the respect they deserve performing at age 60! Thanks 
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,231
    Fall 22 will be different.  This is all probably just a warm up for MSG!
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    My son and I were just discussing this today.  He’s a huge DMB fan and travels everywhere to see them just as we do with PJ.  He asked me why I thought the sets weren’t as long any more and I told him to really think about it….I’m the same age as these guys and it’s a bitch just getting out of bed some days.  They owe us no explanations, yet I realize they spend a lot of  time thinking about their fans more than any other band I know of.  
     My husband spent Wednesday teaching children baseball at a camp and the special speaker was Ian Happ.  My husband intentionally walked him the last time he saw him at a high school game he was coaching against him and Ian remembered that.  The interesting part is the amount of praise and compliments he conveyed about Mr. Vedder (Ian saw all our pj stickers on our jeep).  So please, let’s not get ignorant or assume it’s one band members choice versus the rest to cut the set list.  This band, these men AND their
    families are good, normal people who give and give and give to their fans and their foundations, etc., and the band members aren’t young anymore, and they lost two years on stage due to covid.  Just be happy they’re together, still playing and traveling.  I’m just not going to allow anyone to bash them anymore without speaking the truth. 
    I think you’d find most fans care for and very much respect all members of the band.  We’re simply discussing our feelings about the major change in live performances … which happens to be the thing most of us have enjoyed the most about the band over the last 20 years
  • Options
    DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 918
    Haven't professional athletes had covid? they seem to be able to still perform at a high level. Hasn't everyone pretty much had covid and yet we still go to work everyday? The reason being covid is kind of a lame excuse 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    DEGBTI said:
    Haven't professional athletes had covid? they seem to be able to still perform at a high level. Hasn't everyone pretty much had covid and yet we still go to work everyday? The reason being covid is kind of a lame excuse 
    They also retire at 28

i don’t think it’s covid personally. Age maybe. No one knows 

a lot of people can hear the voice changes in earthling too and that’s a polished studio recording. It’s not bad. It’s definitely different and aged 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    heartofadogheartofadog Portland, OR Posts: 352
    edited June 2022
    unknown said:
    Hmm to me what made the band unique is they have one of the best singers in rock 'n' roll, ever; maybe the best drummer of the modern rock era; a rhythm guitarist who wrote a handful of the most iconic riffs of the last 30 years; a lead guitarist who is widely considered to be among the best rock lead guitarists ever; and a bass player who is considered one of the 5-10 best rock bassists of the last 30 years. Oh and a catalog of songs that really has no rival among the band's peers over the last 30+ years.

Surprising to find out that this whole time it was just those 7-10 extra songs they played during sets between 2003 - 2018.
    1993: Portland, OR (09/06), Seattle, WA (12/07), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    1995: Seattle, WA (02/05)
    1996: Seattle, WA (09/16)
    1997:
    Oakland, CA (11/19)
    1998:
    Portland, OR (07/18), Seattle, WA (07/21), Seattle, WA (07/22)
    2000: Bellingham, WA (05/10), Vancouver, BC (05/11), Mountain View, CA (10/31), Portland, OR (11/02), Seattle, WA (11/05), Seattle, WA (11/06)
    2002: Seattle, WA (12/05), Seattle, WA (12/06), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    2003: Vancouver, BC (5/30), Seattle, WA (10/22), 
    2006: Portland, OR (07/20)
    2009: Berlin, DE (08/15), Seattle, WA (9/21), Seattle, WA (9/22)
    2010: Berlin, DE (06/30)
    2013: Los Angeles, CA (11/23), Los Angeles, CA (11/24), Portland, OR (11/29), Spokane, WA (11/30)
    2018: Seattle, WA (08/10)
    2022: Seattle, WA (2/22), New York, NY (9/10), New York, NY (9/11), Camden, NJ (9/14), Denver, CO (9/22)
    2023: St. Paul, MN (8/31), St. Paul, MN (9/02)
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    DEGBTI said:
    Professional athletes aren’t in their 50s.  Not saying this is the reason.  I think it’s most likely a multitude of reasons for the shorter sets.  And we will most likely never get the full reasons. 
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,295
    unknown said:
    Hmm to me what made the band unique is they have one of the best singers in rock 'n' roll, ever; maybe the best drummer of the modern rock era; a rhythm guitarist who wrote a handful of the most iconic riffs of the last 30 years; a lead guitarist who is widely considered to be among the best rock lead guitarists ever; and a bass player who is considered one of the 5-10 best rock bassists of the last 30 years. Oh and a catalog of songs that really has no rival among the band's peers over the last 30+ years.

Surprising to find out that this whole time it was just those 7-10 extra songs they played during sets between 2003 - 2018.
    This is very well said.  The idea that the length of the shows is what sets Pearl Jam apart, and not the band's music, reminds me of the old joke about the restaurant where the food is so bad and they give you such small portions.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Discopij said:
    I think you’d find most fans care for and very much respect all members of the band.  We’re simply discussing our feelings about the major change in live performances … which happens to be the thing most of us have enjoyed the most about the band over the last 20 years
    Oh yes I totally agree/understand people being disappointed and I wasn’t trying to bash people for their disappointment, so my apologies because it probably came off that way, however, knowing quite a few people who spend quite a bit of time with Ed I’m going to defend them against some comments.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    DEGBTI said:
    Professional athletes aren’t in their 50s.
    Professional athletes also generally don't chain-smoke cigarettes for several years in the prime of their careers.
  • Options
    Be happy the band is still ALIVE. 
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011); Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 04, 2011); Deluna Fest Pensacola, FL (September 21, 2012); Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013); Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014); Wrigley Field I (August 20, 2016); Wrigley Field II (August 22, 2016); Home Shows Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018), Home Shows Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018), Apollo Theater (September 10, 2022), Madison Square Garden (September 11, 2022), Bourbon & Beyond Louisville (September 17th, 2022). 
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    pjhawks said:
    DEGBTI said:
    Professional athletes also generally don't chain-smoke cigarettes for several years in the prime of their careers.
    He still smokes doesn’t he?
    thought so. 
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    pjhawks said:
    DEGBTI said:
    Very true!  I’ve only known one -
     Jack Delaplane 
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    pjhawks said:
    DEGBTI said:
    No most smoke weed 
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    pjhawks said:
    DEGBTI said:
    He still smokes doesn’t he?
    thought so. 
    If he does, that only reinforces my point.  Smoking is bad for the lungs, and so is COVID.  The 58-year-old inveterate cigarette smoker is not similarly situated to the 30-year-old pro athlete.

Anyway, the point about COVID isn't strictly about the effect the disease may have had on band members who had bouts with it.  It's about the fact that the dozen shows they've played since the pandemic started are happening in a very different environment than the one in which they last played shows in 2018, and that could affect a lot of different aspects of how they approach playing shows.

• Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,225
    DEGBTI said:
    Covid is a non factor. I had it after LA or Phx. It was barely a cold. I was better in 72 hours and fatigued for a week. This is not, will not and will never be the logic for shorter shows. There is a sect of this club that dwells on it like ita the plague. 
  • Options
    Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 279
    edited June 2022
    DEGBTI said:
    Covid is a non factor. I had it after LA or Phx. It was barely a cold. I was better in 72 hours and fatigued for a week. This is not, will not and will never be the logic for shorter shows. There is a sect of this club that dwells on it like ita the plague. 
    If there's one thing we know about covid it's that it affects everyone differently. Some are non-symptomatic,  some are hospitalised,  some have long covid. 

It may or may not be the reason for the shortened setlists. No one knows. But I'm not surprised that folks are trying to get their heads around such a dramatic change. 
    Post edited by Gravey1975 on