Options

The Setlist

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,214
    Get_Right said:
    Nice research on these JBob87:
    13 songs were in this group in both 2022 and 2016 (Alive, Even Flow, Porch, Corduroy, Do The Evolution, Small Town, Given to Fly, Daughter, Better Man, Jeremy, Why Go, Black, Yellow Ledbetter).

I would love a show without any of these being played, but that is because I am old and been to a few shows. Totally agree with everyone's comments on variety over length. 
    A show with none of these would suck.  
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    It has been 2,262 days since Infallible has been played 
    That is one song I am hoping to hear at one of my shows. Odds seem low, though. 
    Maybe in a lower key. I noticed some key shifts listening to the Oakland bootleg yesterday. 
    That goes back and forth a bit over time. Once was down a half step in Hyde Park 2010 but has been played in it's usual key plenty of time since. WWS was also played lower that day.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    pjhawks said:
    Get_Right said:
    13 songs were in this group in both 2022 and 2016 (Alive, Even Flow, Porch, Corduroy, Do The Evolution, Small Town, Given to Fly, Daughter, Better Man, Jeremy, Why Go, Black, Yellow Ledbetter).

I would love a show without any of these being played, but that is because I am old and been to a few shows. Totally agree with everyone's comments on variety over length. 

One man's trash is another man's treasure......
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,078
    edited July 2022
    Get_Right said:

I don’t think they could play none of these BUT so many songs could be swapped out that seem to have fallen off the radar. Casual fans would still probably know most of these…
    In Hiding
    Faithfull
    STBC
    World Wide Suicide
    I Am Mine 
    NAIS
    Tremor Christ
    Just Breathe
    Grievance
    Insignificance
    Comatose
    Blood
    Unthought Known
    Life Wasted
    Love Boat Captain
    …even Rearviewmirror Mirror and Release seem to be more rare these days

So many great songs getting left out
    Post edited by Abe Froman on
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    edited July 2022
    Get_Right said:

I don’t think they could play none of these BUT so many songs could be swapped out that seem to have fallen off the radar. Casual fans would still probably know most of these…
    In Hiding
    Faithfull
    STBC
    World Wide Suicide
    I Am Mine 
    NAIS
    Tremor Christ
    Just Breathe
    Grievance
    Insignificance
    Comatose
    Blood
    Unthought Known
    Life Wasted
    Love Boat Captain
    …even Rearviewmirror Mirror and Release seem to be more rare these days

So many great songs getting left out

And I would love that. Add breakerfall, parting ways, cropduster, cant keep, all or none, unemployable, severed hand, gonna see my friend, amongst the waves, pendulum, infallible, who ever said, take the long way.......you get the idea. And that does not even touch No Code or Yield.  And maybe Get Right eh hem. I love the classics but there is so much more I would rather hear than daughter for the 50th time. Its me not you, I know. 
    Post edited by Get_Right on
  • Options
    SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 914
    It has been 1,399 days since Just Breathe has been played
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,244
    SandyRavage said:
    It has been 1,399 days since Just Breathe has been played
    Let’s keep this streak going!
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    It's been 1,475 days since Off He Goes has been played 
  • Options
    It's been 2,815 days since Gone has been played 
  • Options
    lowbudgetlushlowbudgetlush Posts: 609
    edited July 2022
    It’s wild to see what songs are peoples favs. If I never heard infallible, gone, force of nature, Johnny guitar, just breath live again I would be absolutely fine. No, that is not just cause I’ve already heard them. They just don’t do it for me. This just goes to show Pearl Jam is in an impossible situation. With that said I would take something like infallible over daughter only for the fact that that would mean they are switching up sets. 
  • Options
    It’s wild to see what songs are peoples favs. If I never heard infallible, gone, force of nature, Johnny guitar, just breath live again I would be absolutely fine. No, that is not just cause I’ve already heard them. They just don’t do it for me. This just goes to show Pearl Jam is in an impossible situation. With that said I would take something like infallible over daughter only for the fact that that would mean they are switching up sets. 
    I think it’s songs taking the place of other songs which grates. If some night they do 25 songs and the extra one is Just Breathe? Great! I actually quite like it. But if I only get 23 or 24, I don’t want one of them to be Just Breathe.
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,259
    It's been 1,475 days since Off He Goes has been played 
    This is sad. Such a gem of a song. Would take this over wishlist 9x out of 10.
  • Options
    bmurray06bmurray06 Austin, Texas Posts: 140
    If anyone wants to hear Just Breathe, you'll have a better chance catching Willie Nelson and/or his son Lukas Nelson covering it. 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    Much like the DEEP project’s partial intention of introducing a new generation to live PJ, these sets have to be a blast for the newer, younger fans who may be seeing the band for the first time! If that is even a part of the reason for the song choices, AWESOME!! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Some of these songs i've listed aren't even my "favorite" per say, but more so songs that seem to have fallen by the wayside by a band who historically has kept it interesting set-list wise on their tours, especially tours in Europe. 

I think where thats where most of the discomfort from life long fans is stemming from. 

Songs like Gone, Off He Goes, and Just Breathe are all songs that on any night can replace any of the slower songs in the set that have had their replay value skyrocket thanks to these abridged, repetitive, setlist traps they seem to be stuck in. 

As far as the other songs, Pilate and Infallible, i feel like the band are losing their socially conscious edge music wise in favor of playing the songs they know they will get positive feedback on. Infallible would have been an amazing choice to play in light of the Roe v. Wade fallout, as I feel like much of that decision has to do with Religion... i know it's not everyone's "favorite", but the topic of conversation is why that song was written... you catch my drift?

As far as people saying they continuously play "the older stuff" as a cop out for whats been happening, i think you're wrong, and if you haven't noticed songs like "Once" and "Rearviewmirror" haven't even made an appearance in Europe yet, not even as alternates! And we're 7 shows in! All albums replay-ability are "suffering", you could say. 

I think the days of Eddie and the band getting together to see which songs they haven't played in awhile, or in that area of the country ever, are over. I think since the Earthling's tour Eddie's setlist choice process has changed and instead of being wild and off the cuff the whole show, there are calculated moments where he decides to insert something that may or may not resonate with the crowd. 

I'm not even asking them to do something crazy like play "I've Got A Feeling" as a closer every night, or bring back onstage improvs to keep it interesting, to me the basic idea of the unpredictability of each night in the music has been lost on them in favor of a more precise and concise set with song choices they know work. 

I'll leave you with another "days since..." that might blow your mind: 

It's been 1,398 days since "Go" has been played..... 

Whipping made the setlist before "Go" !!!!!
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,777
    Conversations like these make me want a 10c only show with a magical rare-track setlist, but I wouldn't be able to grab a ticket and half the show would be the band stammering through songs they haven't played in a long time. 

At the same time, I'd probably be the guy looking to pay PJ Premium prices for anything at this rate. It'll be 10 years since that what-could-have-been lengthy 2013 Wrigley setlist next year... maybe a limited ballpark tour in the US wouldn't be a bad thing.
  • Options
    aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,138
    Not sure how Just Breathe keeps getting mentioned. Granted, it hasn't been getting play this tour. But didn't they play it at almost every show the last 10+ years? I've only been to 10 shows in the last 9 years, but I literally got it at every show I went to...often with a marriage proposal to go along with it. I like the song, but was getting pretty burned out from it. It was time for a break.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,078
    Not sure how Just Breathe keeps getting mentioned. Granted, it hasn't been getting play this tour. But didn't they play it at almost every show the last 10+ years? I've only been to 10 shows in the last 9 years, but I literally got it at every show I went to...often with a marriage proposal to go along with it. I like the song, but was getting pretty burned out from it. It was time for a break.
    I don’t see anyone clamoring for Just Breathe. I only mentioned it as a song many casual fans would know that could possibly mix it up more. I personally don’t want to see it live. I just would like to see more variety in general to have the possibility of hearing some great songs that have fallen of the map. 
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,214
    Some of these songs i've listed aren't even my "favorite" per say, but more so songs that seem to have fallen by the wayside by a band who historically has kept it interesting set-list wise on their tours, especially tours in Europe. 

I think where thats where most of the discomfort from life long fans is stemming from. 

Songs like Gone, Off He Goes, and Just Breathe are all songs that on any night can replace any of the slower songs in the set that have had their replay value skyrocket thanks to these abridged, repetitive, setlist traps they seem to be stuck in. 

As far as the other songs, Pilate and Infallible, i feel like the band are losing their socially conscious edge music wise in favor of playing the songs they know they will get positive feedback on. Infallible would have been an amazing choice to play in light of the Roe v. Wade fallout, as I feel like much of that decision has to do with Religion... i know it's not everyone's "favorite", but the topic of conversation is why that song was written... you catch my drift?

As far as people saying they continuously play "the older stuff" as a cop out for whats been happening, i think you're wrong, and if you haven't noticed songs like "Once" and "Rearviewmirror" haven't even made an appearance in Europe yet, not even as alternates! And we're 7 shows in! All albums replay-ability are "suffering", you could say. 

I think the days of Eddie and the band getting together to see which songs they haven't played in awhile, or in that area of the country ever, are over. I think since the Earthling's tour Eddie's setlist choice process has changed and instead of being wild and off the cuff the whole show, there are calculated moments where he decides to insert something that may or may not resonate with the crowd. 

I'm not even asking them to do something crazy like play "I've Got A Feeling" as a closer every night, or bring back onstage improvs to keep it interesting, to me the basic idea of the unpredictability of each night in the music has been lost on them in favor of a more precise and concise set with song choices they know work. 

I'll leave you with another "days since..." that might blow your mind: 

It's been 1,398 days since "Go" has been played..... 

Whipping made the setlist before "Go" !!!!!
    The number of days thing is pure bullshit.  Nothing was played for two years because of Covid.  Trying to make a big deal by number of days not played doesn’t make sense.  Do it by number if shows.  That is a more accurate comparison 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,093
    Its been 1 day since Low Light has been played. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,093
    What is the point in fallibg back on a ”most played songs on spotify” setlist?

Have they felt like they were losing the crowd
    or that people in the crowd looked bored? 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,936
    Undone hasn't been played in twelve years. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    JimmyV said:
    Undone hasn't been played in twelve years. 
    I’ve never heard it live! It’s def one of my favorite songs 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,817

Love that label!! 
  • Options
    lowbudgetlushlowbudgetlush Posts: 609
    edited July 2022
    Post edited by lowbudgetlush on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    I won’t mind what they play or for how long. I am just glad I get to see my favorite band perform live again. After all the shit that’s gone down in the last 2 1/2 years, seeing any live show - Pearl Jam or otherwise - is something that very well could not have ever happened again. 
  • Options
    treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,808
    jwhjr17 said:
    They owe us zero explanation.  I for one will just continue to enjoy the live shows while we still can.  
    Thank-you  plus it might be the fact  Ev did lose his voice recently a,couple  years ago. And that they heed to ease into the rarities and practice  them. Plus they getting  older like me and good wine

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    Get_Right said:

No it wouldn't  they have done this before .on the 2003 tour 

PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    Last night's set list was pretty, pretty, pretty good. :)
    Yep it looked good  its always a great show. Literally  they have never played a  bad show ..thank you for your time and energy  brother 

PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011