Options

The Setlist

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    I'm still hoping this year is just an anomaly and that going forward we'll see longer shows. Maybe not three plus hour marathons, but not two hours with little variety. 

I also can't believe they are going to roll into MSG and play one of these shows like we've seen in recent days. I just can't. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,760
    edited June 2022
    JimmyV said:
    I'm still hoping this year is just an anomaly and that going forward we'll see longer shows. Maybe not three plus hour marathons, but not two hours with little variety. 

I also can't believe they are going to roll into MSG and play one of these shows like we've seen in recent days. I just can't. 
    Italy has always had monster shows. This one is a festival and I am not sure the time slot but I am very curious how this show plays out.

MSG is after the Apollo too. Interesting how they follow up a show after that 
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    DEGBTI said:
    Haven't professional athletes had covid? they seem to be able to still perform at a high level. Hasn't everyone pretty much had covid and yet we still go to work everyday? The reason being covid is kind of a lame excuse 
    Covid is a non factor. I had it after LA or Phx. It was barely a cold. I was better in 72 hours and fatigued for a week. This is not, will not and will never be the logic for shorter shows. There is a sect of this club that dwells on it like ita the plague. 
    Were you already vaccinated when you got covid?  How old are you?  Smoke?  

I’m sorry but you’re completely wrong about covid, long term symptoms, the damage it’s done to peoples bodies, etc. Worldwide deaths at 6.33 million with 1+ million of that being US citizens.  The plague lasted much longer as well.  You can’t compare diseases from long ago with covid simply because medicine is so advanced now. If we had the medical resources from decades ago there’d be way more than the 25+ million who died of the plague.  

If it wasn’t for all those who got vaccinated in the beginning we’d be going to no shows.  I’d prefer you just say thanks and be better like SC stated. And if you’re not 60…..how do you know how it affected them?  
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,025
    edited June 2022
    Eddie said in an interview that they will get a new album out soonare than later and tour some now. But in the future touring may not be a priority anymore. 

Would be odd by them cutting down the shows like this on their ”last” round as a regular touring act.

Has the quality of the playing and singing etc been upped a step by plying shorter sets? 

Their whole ”an evening with…” shows without an opening band and stretching out their punkrocksong (or lightning fast versions of slower songs)-setlists to Bruce Springsteen lengths always felt odd to me. I don’t think a Pearl Jam show needs 32 songs or to be 3 hours. 

But at the same time 20 songs feels like a huge cut in the setlist. I would say 25 songs with My Morning Jacket as the opener ”could” be the sweetspot. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    unknownunknown Posts: 531
    Let’s get idlewild back on tour with them.

regardless, there is no way third eye blind should be playing longer than them
  • Options
    apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    PJNB said:
    lol you guys are insane 20 songs is fine by me! If I can do one show per tour I’d be fine too I don’t need to see them 5 times per tour anymore! 
    Some people are seeing this band 5 or more times this year. Some people are spending thousands and thousands on travel. Why would what your ok with have to apply to them as well? You have been very open about not even caring if you see a show ever again. Talk about crazy lol
    Sorry but those are their personal choices and you shouldn’t expect a band to feel obligated to do something because of your choices.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,760
    edited June 2022
    apirk72 said:
    PJNB said:
    lol you guys are insane 20 songs is fine by me! If I can do one show per tour I’d be fine too I don’t need to see them 5 times per tour anymore! 
    Some people are seeing this band 5 or more times this year. Some people are spending thousands and thousands on travel. Why would what your ok with have to apply to them as well? You have been very open about not even caring if you see a show ever again. Talk about crazy lol
    Sorry but those are their personal choices and you shouldn’t expect a band to feel obligated to do something because of your choices.
     You are putting words in my mouth. I never once said the band is obligated to do anything. They can quit tomorrow and I would be upset but thats their choice. 

People are allowed to voice their opinions and preferences on sets and how these shows are good for them setwise or not their cup of tea. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    heartofadogheartofadog Portland, OR Posts: 352
    Seen a few people cite McCartney as an example of what the band could be doing. You all are aware Paul plays the same set every night, right?

Petty and the HB maybe swapped out 2-3 songs per show but for the last 20-25 years of their career (apart from the residencies) it was New Album and the Hits.

Springsteen/E St mix it up a bit but it’s mostly the newest stuff (or whatever anniversary record they’re touring) and the hits.

See a pattern? Pearl Jam, like many of the greatest bands of all time — their primary influences and peers — is playing new material, their well-known songs, and a few odds and ends. They may mix it up more down the road, they may not! 

Oh, and for the “why so much Ten?!” crowd: maybe because the band was stuck at home like the rest of us, uncertain what shows would look like in the coming years, when that landmark album’s 30th anniversary came and went without an opportunity to celebrate. Maybe they’re playing those songs because it’s an important record to the band? Not every decision they make has to be for us.
    1993: Portland, OR (09/06), Seattle, WA (12/07), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    1995: Seattle, WA (02/05)
    1996: Seattle, WA (09/16)
    1997:
    Oakland, CA (11/19)
    1998:
    Portland, OR (07/18), Seattle, WA (07/21), Seattle, WA (07/22)
    2000: Bellingham, WA (05/10), Vancouver, BC (05/11), Mountain View, CA (10/31), Portland, OR (11/02), Seattle, WA (11/05), Seattle, WA (11/06)
    2002: Seattle, WA (12/05), Seattle, WA (12/06), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    2003: Vancouver, BC (5/30), Seattle, WA (10/22), 
    2006: Portland, OR (07/20)
    2009: Berlin, DE (08/15), Seattle, WA (9/21), Seattle, WA (9/22)
    2010: Berlin, DE (06/30)
    2013: Los Angeles, CA (11/23), Los Angeles, CA (11/24), Portland, OR (11/29), Spokane, WA (11/30)
    2018: Seattle, WA (08/10)
    2022: Seattle, WA (2/22), New York, NY (9/10), New York, NY (9/11), Camden, NJ (9/14), Denver, CO (9/22)
    2023: St. Paul, MN (8/31), St. Paul, MN (9/02)
  • Options
    foriginalsinforiginalsin Posts: 699
    unknown said:
    Say what you want about third eye blind, they change their setlist and play over 3 hours
    I just looked at setlistfm and their last show was 21 songs and they have only  27 songs total in their rotation for the tour. 
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,077
    Looking back I think the 2014 Euro tour was the pinnacle. I only went to one show that year but looking at the set lists nearly all the shows were amazing with loads of rarities. This is the first year I’ve been able to travel to see PJ and, whilst I’ve had an amazing time, I wish I could wind the clock back to 2014
  • Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,002
    unknown said:
    Say what you want about third eye blind, they change their setlist and play over 3 hours
    I just looked at setlistfm and their last show was 21 songs and they have only  27 songs total in their rotation for the tour. 
    27 songs in their rotation doesn’t sound right to me, is that just for the first couple Euro shows? If it is, that will grow I’m sure
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,792
    unknown said:
    Sad that I honestly don’t know if you’re talking about Third eye blind or PJ right now. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    unknown said:
    Sad that I honestly don’t know if you’re talking about Third eye blind or PJ right now. 
    I was talking about shitty band, third eye blind. 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    PJNB said:
    It was said they were going to change things up well before the tour. So here we are. 
    Where was this said and what was said? I do not remember that 
    Interview where Jeff said something about changing how they tour, etc. I will attempt to find it and report back 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    Mike once said he'd enjoy a residency somewhere where they played one album a night and went through the entire catalogue. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Hawk123 said:
    unknown said:
    27 songs in their rotation doesn’t sound right to me, is that just for the first couple Euro shows? If it is, that will grow I’m sure

So 3rd eye blind has played 8 shows in 2022. 34 unique songs total played with an avg set of, you guessed it, 20 songs. 

Lets use a larger sample size from 2017, 87 shows. 46 unique songs. Average set length? Right again, 20 songs. 

In 2019 with 81 shows, their avg set was 18 songs. 

In 2015 with 81 shows, again their avg set was 18 songs. 

For comparisons sake, pj has only played 11 shows this year. 86 unique songs. 23 song avg set list length. 

2018 pj played 26 shows. 149 unique songs with an avg set list of 28 songs. 

In 2014 pj played 32 shows with an avg length of 31 songs and 159 unique songs played. 

• Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    The set lists were creative and always felt an effort to blow our minds.  These 2022 ones just feel lazy and they are dialing it in.  

I’m sure they are playing everything great and it not that the shows are bad but what they are doing if it continues I’m sure they will feel the affects of it when fans don’t travel as much and ticket sales slow dow 

Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    Everyone realizes its only been 11 shows and 3 of them were with out regular band members? 

Relax. Things take some time. I believe the setlists will grow slowly, not to what they used to be, but more than it is now. 

You have to build up your endurance again. Two of these guys had covid. In several instances covid can have a lasting effect. Even some professional athletes took extra  time to get back into in season shape after a bout with covid. 

• Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,002
    Hawk123 said:
    unknown said:

So 3rd eye blind has played 8 shows in 2022. 34 unique songs total played with an avg set of, you guessed it, 20 songs. 

Lets use a larger sample size from 2017, 87 shows. 46 unique songs. Average set length? Right again, 20 songs. 

In 2019 with 81 shows, their avg set was 18 songs. 

In 2015 with 81 shows, again their avg set was 18 songs. 

For comparisons sake, pj has only played 11 shows this year. 86 unique songs. 23 song avg set list length. 

2018 pj played 26 shows. 149 unique songs with an avg set list of 28 songs. 

In 2014 pj played 32 shows with an avg length of 31 songs and 159 unique songs played. 

My bad, I thought you were talking about PJ set lists
  • Options
    browngwbrowngw Posts: 113
    I really don't want to add fuel to the fire, and maybe this has been posted somewhere else already, but I found the following description of Pearl Jam funny on tickets.de for the show in Frankfurt.

"Pearl Jam will embark on a European tour in summer of 2022. To this day, Pearl Jam is unquestionably one of the most enthusiastic, and - in the best sense - most unpredictable live acts in the rock world. Because which band is bothering to surprise their fans with a new setlist at almost each concert? Who on average plays over thirty songs per show? And which other band has so many killer-songs such as "Better Man", "Go", "Jeremy", "Lightning Bolt" or "Alive", that the audience can hardly catch their breath? Shortly after their official 30th stage anniversary (October 22, 1990), Pearl Jam will perform live again."

Personally I am fine with the setlists so far and I look forward to seeing them in Vienna and Prague.  Just thought the description would get some more people fired up.
  • Options
    ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 634
    Bittersweet.  It ain't what it was, but it's better than nothin'.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,506
    DMB looks to be doing about 20 songs a night....but yeah....it's DMB
    They are also a jam band and some songs go for 10 minutes or so.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited June 2022
    I always liked Third Eye Blind.  I will admit that I definitely didn’t see them turning into a band that would have a college aged cult fan base.  They’ve found their niche for sure.  

I love how someone turned this into a 3eb vs pj tour breakdown.   This is wild.  
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,231
    You’ve all got to stop smoking so much weed. Watch some of the YouTube videos of the shows in Europe. They are sounding great!  Would be happy with a 10 song set. Bring on Fall tour!
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,506
    I always liked Third Eye Blind.  I will admit that I definitely didn’t see them turning into a band that would have a college aged cult fan base.  They’ve found their niche for sure.  

I love how someone turned this into a 3eb vs pj tour breakdown.   This is wild.  
    Semi-Charmed Life Wasted?
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,187
    How’s It Going to Bee Girl
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,065
    I will preface my thoughts with:  I think PJ is still the best live band around. I would rather go see them than anyone else. 

The new formula is a drastic change from what we have been accustomed too. I completely understand all the questions, concerns and even complaints. It’s very different. Getting 20-23 songs a night with 15 being staples and another 3-4 being Gigaton does not leave much room for variety. And many of us want to hear so many great songs from their catalogue over Betterman and Jeremy every night. I’m not talking about people wanting Bugs or Outta My Mind either. I’m talking about Blood, STBC, Grievance, World Wide Suicide, I am Mine and even RVM. 

I can’t honestly say I’m not bummed a little. Especially after listening to the first leg boots. It feels different and not in a great way. They have such a great deep catalogue and a majority of it seems to now be getting ignored. Obviously the band can do whatever they want but it doesn’t change the fact that a LOT of fans are going to ask questions. 

I am still very excited about my two upcoming shows (STL & Nashville) and hope I leave feeling great like I have all the other shows over the years. 
  • Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,161
    Be interesting to see what happens with London and Amsterdam back to back shows 
  • Options
    GhostChileGhostChile Posts: 1,111
    I will preface my thoughts with:  I think PJ is still the best live band around. I would rather go see them than anyone else. 

The new formula is a drastic change from what we have been accustomed too. I completely understand all the questions, concerns and even complaints. It’s very different. Getting 20-23 songs a night with 15 being staples and another 3-4 being Gigaton does not leave much room for variety. And many of us want to hear so many great songs from their catalogue over Betterman and Jeremy every night. I’m not talking about people wanting Bugs or Outta My Mind either. I’m talking about Blood, STBC, Grievance, World Wide Suicide, I am Mine and even RVM. 

I can’t honestly say I’m not bummed a little. Especially after listening to the first leg boots. It feels different and not in a great way. They have such a great deep catalogue and a majority of it seems to now be getting ignored. Obviously the band can do whatever they want but it doesn’t change the fact that a LOT of fans are going to ask questions. 

I am still very excited about my two upcoming shows (STL & Nashville) and hope I leave feeling great like I have all the other shows over the years. 
     This is exactly how i feel.

Mexico City 17/7/2003
    Mexico City 18/7/2003
    Mexico City 19/7/2003
    Santiago Chile 22/11/2005
    Santiago Chile 23/11/2005
    Buenos Aires Argentina 13/11/2011
    Santiago Chile 16/11/2011
    Lima Perú 18/11/2011
    Sao Paulo Brasil 31/3/2013
    Buenos Aires Argentina 03/4/2013
    Santiago Chile 06/5/2013
    Santiago Chile 4/11/2015
    Buenos Aires Argentina 7/11/2015
    Porto Alegre Brasil 11/11/2015
    Sao Paulo Brasil 14/11/2015
    Brasilia Brasil 17/11/2015
    Belo Horizonte Brasil 20/11/2015
    Rio de Janeiro Brasil 22/11/2015
    Bogota Colombia 25/11/2015
    Mexico City 28/11/2015
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL 8/4/2016
    Miami, FL 9/4/2016
    Tampa, FL 11/4/2016
    Santiago Chile 13/3/2018
    Santiago Chile 16/3/2018
    Rome Italy 26/6/2018
    Prague Czech Republic 1/7/2018
    Krakow Poland 3/7/2018
    Berlin Germany 5/7/2018
    Barcelona Spain 10/7/2018
    Dana Point, CA 1/10/2021
    Dana Point, CA 2/10/2021 
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 758
    Be interesting to see what happens with London and Amsterdam back to back shows 
    If I remember this correctly, they played Alive and Evenflow at back-to-back shows at Ohana. I thought it was odd they wouldn't just swap in Jeremy or something if they were looking to "play the hits" or play something they didn't need to rehearse.