Options

The Setlist

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,030
    DEGBTI said:
    Haven't professional athletes had covid? they seem to be able to still perform at a high level. Hasn't everyone pretty much had covid and yet we still go to work everyday? The reason being covid is kind of a lame excuse 
    Covid is a non factor. I had it after LA or Phx. It was barely a cold. I was better in 72 hours and fatigued for a week. This is not, will not and will never be the logic for shorter shows. There is a sect of this club that dwells on it like ita the plague. 
    Be better
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    bazfromozbazfromoz Posts: 186
    These blokes are all pushing 60 years old. If you aren’t winding back your work schedule by this stage of life then you have a problem. Good on them for still doing it at all. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,793
    bazfromoz said:
    These blokes are all pushing 60 years old. If you aren’t winding back your work schedule by this stage of life then you have a problem. Good on them for still doing it at all. 
    Would you consider their “tour” schedule not winding down? Their album output winding down? 
  • Options
    unknownunknown Posts: 531
    Say what you want about third eye blind, they change their setlist and play over 3 hours
  • Options
    Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 279
    bazfromoz said:
    Was always gonna happen at some point. The big surprise is just how dramatically it has been cut back. Which is why there's some wild speculation. 
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,185
    Still amazed Paul McCartney is pumping out 35+ songs a night pushing 80 years old. His voice is noticeably weaker though, which is completely understandable.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited June 2022
    Still amazed Paul McCartney is pumping out 35+ songs a night pushing 80 years old. His voice is noticeably weaker though, which is completely understandable.
    I’ve never seen McCartney unfortunately 

wasn’t a typical Beatles show like 30-45 minutes? I assume Paul plays longer (not sure how 35 songs translates into hours).
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,185
    I’ve never seen McCartney unfortunately 

wasn’t a typical Beatles show like 30-45 minutes? I assume Paul plays longer (not sure how 35 songs translates into hours).
    About 2hr 40min
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    bazfromozbazfromoz Posts: 186
    nicknyr15 said:
    bazfromoz said:
    Would you consider their “tour” schedule not winding down? Their album output winding down? 
    I’d consider the fact that they don’t need to play at all. Soon it will be 10 shows or less per year and then people will yearn for the good old days of 30 shows a year and 22 song sets. 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    It was said they were going to change things up well before the tour. So here we are. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,760
    edited June 2022
    It was said they were going to change things up well before the tour. So here we are. 
    Where was this said and what was said? I do not remember that 
  • Options
    maximumlawmanmaximumlawman Regensburg, Germany Posts: 219
    We all are getting old - the band and it‘s fanbase. And as in life outside PJ the older you get the more dominant all those aches and pains become and the more you love to complain about stuff, especially stuff that was important to your younger self. Setlists of your favorite band and their length and variety included. 
    As much as I would like to be able to simply join the „Don’t make a mountain out of a molehill“/„Take it easy“/„Das stört doch keinen großen Geist“-club as I honestly still believe that a 128 min PJ-show is still a blast and the worst of my PJ-shows was still better (for me!) than 80% of concerts by other bands - I cannot  get around this strange feeling closer to loss than disappointment: whenever I had to explain the traveling to shows to other people („Pearl Jam - they still exist?“, „To Los Angeles - for just a concert?“, „You have seen these shows two dozen times - don’t they always play the same songs?“), the fact that every show was unique and that every show lasted until I could hardly take any more music was part of my answer. And it was to an important part self-defining for me as a PJ-fan. 
    My hope is that I will adjust to change (by not changing at all?)  and the band will adjust (just a little bit). LA 1 did not feel rushed or too short for me and Berlin somehow did. I cannot say if the difference lay in the ~15 min LA 1 was longer (probably just a small bit), in Berlin‘s cut-off-YLB (a bigger bit), in the balance of the setlist (a small bit) or the fact that I was jetlagged in LA and was not in Berlin (probably a huge part). It is all very subjective. Structuring the show in a way, that there is ample time for the encores might help.
    Enough weepy self-reflection: I AM VERY EXCITED TO SEE PEARL JAM IN FRANKFURT ON TUESDAY! 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    Didn’t realize making millions of dollars was supposed to be easy.  

(This should stir the pot).
  • Options

Hahah!
  • Options

True.

Don’t most really rich people stop working by their 50’s though? Otherwise what’s the point of all that accumulated wealth 

no way I work until 65 with however many millions they have 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,183

True.

Don’t most really rich people stop working by their 50’s though? Otherwise what’s the point of all that accumulated wealth 

True, but I also don't think there's quite a high like performing in front of a live crowd.  Whether your a musician, comedian, professional wrestler, etc..  I think that's a thing Musician's have a hard time leaving behind.
  • Options

True.

I think it’s more work when/if you want. Which it seems like they’ve been doing for quite a while now. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

True.

I think it’s more work when/if you want. Which it seems like they’ve been doing for quite a while now. 
    Totally.

a short set may be less like work. It’s no longer a job, it’s a hobby.  I could see that 

being at the point you don’t feel like you have to do anything 
  • Options
    maximumlawmanmaximumlawman Regensburg, Germany Posts: 219

True.

Only rich people who hate their jobs stop working in their 50s altogether  - the others adjust. 
  • Options
    apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    edited June 2022
    DEGBTI said:
    Haven't professional athletes had covid? they seem to be able to still perform at a high level. Hasn't everyone pretty much had covid and yet we still go to work everyday? The reason being covid is kind of a lame excuse 
    There have been plenty of athletes that have come out and said how covid has affected them longer then a week or how ever long they were officially out of it, Jayson Tatum being one of them.  I honestly cant believe people still have to be reminded that anecdotal evidence means nothing and it affects everyone differently.  Just because you were fine and were back to your normal self in no time doesn't mean everyone is.  I do not think it is the reason for shorter sets but I have no idea how the band is feeling so I wouldn't count it out completely.
    Post edited by apirk72 on
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,526
    PJNB said:
    Where was this said and what was said? I do not remember that 

Wasn't it Jeff that was quoted saying he'd like the band to play more concise Zepplin-esque shows?

To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,304
    lol you guys are insane 20 songs is fine by me! If I can do one show per tour I’d be fine too I don’t need to see them 5 times per tour anymore! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Habit4meHabit4me Posts: 154
    I'll only bitch about setlist/show lengths if they walk off the stage in Denver (tour closer) at promptly 11pm after ending with their 21st song of the night (Ledbetter)

😆 

If they don't go balls to the wall that night, I'll bitch. But until then...Keep rockin.
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,231
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    gotsome420gotsome420 Posts: 528
    edited June 2022
    We've been spoiled with 3hr + shows for years, looking at the setlist seems disappointing. I still can't wait to see these shows when they come to Canada. My speculation is that someone in the band may have long COVID or other health concerns that would negatively impact the tour if they don't properly pace themselves. Looking forward to September!
  • Options
    devonfzdevonfz Posts: 144
    They were playing the shorter sets before any of them had covid I don't think that is the reason and I think everybody in this group loves and supports the band but I think a lot of the Travelling fans deserve a little bit more credit without them I don't think Pearl Jam would have been nearly as big the last 20 years
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    lol you guys are insane 20 songs is fine by me! If I can do one show per tour I’d be fine too I don’t need to see them 5 times per tour anymore! 
    Some people are seeing this band 5 or more times this year. Some people are spending thousands and thousands on travel. Why would what your ok with have to apply to them as well? You have been very open about not even caring if you see a show ever again. Talk about crazy lol
  • Options
    OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 635
    edited June 2022
    CO278952 said:
    I love long sets. But drawing from this list ^,

Whipping
    Go
    Why Go
    Alone
    Garden
    Footsteps
    Blood

Insert these *as part of* ANY 20 song setlist, and I'm Beyond happy.
    Post edited by OfThePearl on
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,304
    PJNB said:
    Some people are seeing this band 5 or more times this year. Some people are spending thousands and thousands on travel. Why would what your ok with have to apply to them as well? You have been very open about not even caring if you see a show ever again. Talk about crazy lol
    That’s on them 20 songs to me is fine it’s just an opinion! And yes I’m ok not seeing this band again! Im more inclined to see smaller bands in smaller venues as of today I don’t have tickets to any shows..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    That’s on them 20 songs to me is fine it’s just an opinion! And yes I’m ok not seeing this band again! Im more inclined to see smaller bands in smaller venues as of today I don’t have tickets to any shows..
    All I am saying is what works for you might not be best for others. So many people just look at things from their perspective or preference and think it should apply to everyone else and when thoughts or opinions do not line up they are crazy.