Options

The Setlist

Comments

• Options
    JBob87 said:
    Have seen a few comments here and elsewhere that variety has not decreased as well so I checked out the numbers.

In both 2022 and 2016 (most recent semi-comparable tour) there were 17 songs that were played at least 40%+ of the time.

13 songs were in this group in both 2022 and 2016 (Alive, Even Flow, Porch, Corduroy, Do The Evolution, Small Town, Given to Fly, Daughter, Better Man, Jeremy, Why Go, Black, Yellow Ledbetter).

4 songs were common in one year but not the other (Quick Escape, Clairvoyants, Superblood Wolfmoon, Seven O’Clock in 2022; Mind Your Manners, Lightning Bolt, Rearviewmirror, State of Love & Trust in 2016).

In 2022 with an average setlist of 21 songs / show this means that these 17 songs represent 80% of the setlist aka the average show gets ~4 relatively uncommon songs per night.

In 2016 with an average setlist of 31 songs, the 17 common songs were 55% of the setlist, leaving room for ~14 unique songs per night.

So objectively they are playing much more standard setlists on this tour than they have previously. I think it would go a long way to making people happy if they considered rotating a few of the ol standbys a bit more often. 
    This right here! Well said!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    edited June 2022
    That first 3EB record is still one of my all time favorites. That was sophomore year of college for me. Also, saw them open for U2 during their PopMart tour at the Edward Jones Dome in St.Louis. 
    Post edited by 2-feign-reluctance on
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    I'll need to see this trend continue into a next tour - one negotiated, contracted and scheduled with COVID in mind - before I am prepared to admit this is the new normal. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    100 Pacer said:
    PJNB said:
    It was said they were going to change things up well before the tour. So here we are. 
    Where was this said and what was said? I do not remember that 

Wasn't it Jeff that was quoted saying he'd like the band to play more concise Zepplin-esque shows?

Concise zeppelin shows?!?! 45 minute versions of no quarter and dazed and confused isn't concise. Zepp would be at the top of my list for bloated overly long live shows.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,341
    edited June 2022
    That first 3EB record is still one of my all time favorites. That was sophomore year of college for me. Also, saw them open for U2 during their PopMart tour at the Edward Jones Dome in St.Louis. 
    The self-titled Third Eye Blind album is one of my favorites from the 90s. It’s a complete album start to finish and one that I never have to skip a song on (my personal test of a what I consider a great album). They can play great fast songs and great slow songs…that part is similar to Pearl Jam IMO. Do they compare live to PJ? No. But they have put out some of the most popular music from the 90s. As others have said though it’s too bad Jenkins has had a falling out with multiple other band members. Him and Cadigan were an unbelievable song-writing duo.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    I'll need to see this trend continue into a next tour - one negotiated, contracted and scheduled with COVID in mind - before I am prepared to admit this is the new normal. 
    ^ This. This tour could very well be an anomaly. I’m very much in the camp of let’s see what happens on the next tour before we declare the glory years over.
  • Options
    RT85129RT85129 Posts: 179
    I went to LA1 / LA2 and I will be going to MSG, Nash and probably STL or Toronto.....Thought LA1 / LA2 were great.  

My off the wall take is if the band is going to do 20-25 songs a night, I'd love to see them seriously mix it up significantly.  Make it a pure...who the hell knows what they are going to play???  This is the perfect band with an unbelievable catalogue to do it.  It would mean that Elderly, DTE, Corduroy aren't heard every night....but, it would give some life to those songs which aren't played often.  For instance, I might be wrong....but, I'm not sure if we've heard Inside Job, Breakerfall during this tour.

Anyways, just my opinion....if shorter shows.....go the Grateful Dead route and make it a who knows what we're going to get. 
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,285
    JimmyV said:
    finally, a sensible take
  • Options
    unknownunknown Posts: 531
    One of the best songs ever written right here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TcjyYqNrwec
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited June 2022
    unknown said:
    One of the best songs ever written right here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TcjyYqNrwec
    Yeah that’s a great one.  Definitely a band that was way better than their big hits.  Motorcycle Drive By.  God of Wine.  Slow Motion.  Blinded.  So many classics. 

I don’t really pay attention to Jenkins personally but that dude can write some great lyrics.  
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    They did just release their Unplugged album on Friday…
    really really good
    https://youtu.be/AHlOybXcT7o
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,511
    For me, only health issues can excuse the short shows .. matter of age??..i don't think so, Bruce plays 3 hours??
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    JBob87 said:
    Have seen a few comments here and elsewhere that variety has not decreased as well so I checked out the numbers.

In both 2022 and 2016 (most recent semi-comparable tour) there were 17 songs that were played at least 40%+ of the time.

13 songs were in this group in both 2022 and 2016 (Alive, Even Flow, Porch, Corduroy, Do The Evolution, Small Town, Given to Fly, Daughter, Better Man, Jeremy, Why Go, Black, Yellow Ledbetter).

4 songs were common in one year but not the other (Quick Escape, Clairvoyants, Superblood Wolfmoon, Seven O’Clock in 2022; Mind Your Manners, Lightning Bolt, Rearviewmirror, State of Love & Trust in 2016).

In 2022 with an average setlist of 21 songs / show this means that these 17 songs represent 80% of the setlist aka the average show gets ~4 relatively uncommon songs per night.

In 2016 with an average setlist of 31 songs, the 17 common songs were 55% of the setlist, leaving room for ~14 unique songs per night.

So objectively they are playing much more standard setlists on this tour than they have previously. I think it would go a long way to making people happy if they considered rotating a few of the ol standbys a bit more often. 
    This was a good post. 
    1996-09.22; 1998-06.14,07.02,07.13,07.14,08.17,08.18; 2000-08.18,08.20,10.11,10.27,10.28; 2003-04.23,04.26,06.18,06.19,06.22; 2004-10.02,10.03,10.05; 2006-05.16,05.17,05.19,05.20,06.23,06.24; 2007-08.05; 2009-08.23,08.24,09.28,10.31; 2010-05.06,05.07; 2011-09.03,09.04; 2013-07.19; 2014-10.01; 2016-04.26,08.20,08.22; 2018-08.18, 08.20; 2022-09.17; 2023-09.05, 09.07; 2024-TBD! 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,117
    JBob87 said:

This was a good post. 

+1

PJ built its concert reputation with length, variety and surprise. If Father Time requires a shorter set (I get it, I’m in my late 50s) so be it. But why throw away all three points on their live reputation? They can play a shorter show and still rotate six to seven songs that aren’t staples.

it seems they want that “crispness” to the shows, which is difficult when dusting off rarely played tunes.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,760
    edited June 2022
    What year was it when they set out some info saying that they hear the fans complaints about the sets and are going to mix it up even more. Maybe I am remembering that wrong but I feel like there was something in the 10C newsletter or somewhere that said something along those lines a decade or two ago. 
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,859
    Last night's set list was pretty, pretty, pretty good. :)
  • Options
    maximumlawmanmaximumlawman Regensburg, Germany Posts: 219
    demetrios said:
    I second that! In my opinion it was the perfect example of how you create a nicely balanced setlist, that pleases casual fans and rarity-hunters at the same time and leaves the crowd happy and exhausted after an energetic and tight 2 hour show that  (at least to me) felt 30 (or so) minutes longer. 
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    I second that! In my opinion it was the perfect example of how you create a nicely balanced setlist, that pleases casual fans and rarity-hunters at the same time and leaves the crowd happy and exhausted after an energetic and tight 2 hour show that  (at least to me) felt 30 (or so) minutes longer. 
    Yup. Most here won't complain if the shows are shortened to 20-24 songs if we get the things you mentioned in your post in each set. Last night's set looked like a real treat!
  • Options
    Much better variety in Frankfurt.  That’s how you make the most out of a shorter set. 👍
    04-11-94. The Boston Gahden.  Boston, MA
    10-02-96. The Meadows.  Hartford, CT
    08-29-00. Tweeter Center.  Mansfield, MA
    07-02-03. Tweeter Center.  Mansfield, MA
    03-27-11. Tres Mts (with Jeff and Mike).  Paradise Rock Club.  Boston, MA  
    06-16-11. EV solo tour.  The Wang Theater.  Boston, MA
    09-03-11. Alpine Valley. PJ20.  East Troy, WI
    09-04-11. Alpine Valley. PJ20.  East Troy, WI
    09-04-18. Fenway Park.  Boston, MA
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,117
    ^True, I always say I could skip a few of the staples.

But Black just came on random on a non PJ heavy rotation, and the thought is…

how weird would it be going to a PJ show not hearing these fans scream this song? 

Sure, small town, even flow, Jeremy, I can probably  live without, but not the best breakup song of all time.

sorry Prince, Alanis, Whitney…Ed did it better.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Nice research on these JBob87:

I would love a show without any of these being played, but that is because I am old and been to a few shows. Totally agree with everyone's comments on variety over length. 
  • Options
    vercemanverceman Posts: 680
    Here is my theory on why the setlists are shorter than recent tours:

-Opening Act: most tours in recent years were An Evening With Pearl Jam, and the opening act cuts into the show time

-They hadn't played in 3 years and due to infections and quarantine they didn't have the time to relearn all the songs

-Covid bubble rules during the tour have limited time during the tour to relearn some songs. Have they been doing soundchecks?

-they are getting older

I think a combination of the above factors is what has led to the change. Any one of the factors could have been overcome but the combination, more or less has them making this choice, perhaps to help make it more likely the tour happens at all.

Let's see what happens in the future...
  • Options
    SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 914
    It has been 1,418 days since Pilate has been played 
  • Options
    SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 914
    It has been 2,262 days since Infallible has been played 
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    I love that song
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,290
    According to the label on the Oakland Night 2 bootleg CD, it has been 49 days since "Of The Earth" has been played...
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,889
    That is one song I am hoping to hear at one of my shows. Odds seem low, though. 
  • Options
    JABKJABK Finland Posts: 300
    I think they could play a little bit longer...maybe 25 songs. But in the end, I don't care. I just saw Korn play for 1 hour 15 minutes and it was effin' brilliant from start to finish...so if PJ plays for 2 hours I'll be stoked. Yes, I have my own personal requests and they'll maybe play one or two if I'm lucky...and my wife who'll be with me is not a fan, but she hopes they'll end the show in Vienna with Ledbetter. If not, we'll have a blast regardless. This will be our first vacation without the kids so I can barely contain myself with 4 days in Vienna including 2 hours of Pearl Jam. And who knows...maybe Vienna is the show where they'll stretch it to 25 songs? 🤞🤟
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    GlowGirl said:
    That is one song I am hoping to hear at one of my shows. Odds seem low, though. 
    Maybe in a lower key. I noticed some key shifts listening to the Oakland bootleg yesterday. 
    www.cluthelee.com