Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    edited May 2022
    Luckytwn1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    BF25394 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Seems impossible to really be in a bubble on tour. Everyone they are in contact with would also have to be in a bubble. Wouldn’t make sense for you to be in a bubble but your guitar tech who handles all your instruments isn’t. 

About a bassless show, I was talking about that earlier. they might be able to pull it off in an acoustic, stripped down show. I’d probably think it was an awesome treat. But thousands of other fans who have only seen them a couple times might not. So it probably is the best decision to cancel, as much as I hated it.
    The crew is also inside the bubble.
    But how much of a bubble is it really when it includes dozens of people? You’re telling me all the crew is isolated completely from everyone outside the bubble? None of them saw any family, went out to eat, took an elevator with someone? I find that doubtful. 
    I've had these conversations about how to implement such a bubble for a production and yes, the crew should not see anyone from outside the bubble while it is in effect. That is how it is set up and that is what is supposed to happen. Now how do you enforce that other than by honor? You're not going to be able to. It's not like China sealing doors shut so people cannot get out of their homes.
    Just seems impossible. Do the food service people quarantine for a week before Pj arrives in preparation? Or the dozens of other people they’d likely have to interact with? Hotel clerks, drivers, merchandise workers, etc? There’s probably dozens of examples we never would even think of.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    JABKJABK Finland Posts: 302
    Tool is about to wrap up a month long arena tour in Europe, and I attended the show in Stockholm. Maybe PJ should ask Tool for some advice what they've done to reduce the risk for infection? Of course luck is also involved when talking about Covid...
  • Options
    JackD.JackD. Posts: 483
    JimmyV said:
    drfox said:
    JimmyV said:
    I'm not optimistic for Europe. 
    I think the band has just been unlucky in the last week. We’ve had loads of massive bands touring Europe and they’ve not been badly impacted, very few cancellations. Loads of US bands doing massive tours here at the moment - the Killers, My Chemical Romance etc. 
    All true. They may have better luck next time, and I hope they do. 

Right now though? Right now I don't think it's certain they even get on the plane. 
    Why wouldn‘t they? One month to recover, lower case numbers in Europe, most members with fresh immunity.

Ed knew what could happen from the Earthlings tour. Still they played the US leg.
  • Options
    aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,124
    JABK said:
    Tool is about to wrap up a month long arena tour in Europe, and I attended the show in Stockholm. Maybe PJ should ask Tool for some advice what they've done to reduce the risk for infection? Of course luck is also involved when talking about Covid...
    Tool plays behind a curtain for half their show, and Maynard stays hidden in darkness the entire show. They could easily just throw out some stand-ins who pretend to play along to a pre-recorded audio track and no one would be the wiser. ;)
  • Options
    edoconedocon Posts: 308
    edocon said:
    Interested to know how the guys got it. I know it was mentioned that they were in a “bubble”. Wonder how strict the bubble was? Also, could they have gotten it from playing on stage from someone in the audience?
    Well Mike was letting fans in front rows touch his Strat. So I'd say, not terribly strict with the bubble.
    I doubt he was licking the strat afterward. 
    Yes, but his head was within a few inches of people's faces during this time.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    for literally seconds. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,543
    for literally seconds. 
    He put on a mask too for it, at least at the Oakland show where I saw him go up to the first row. 
  • Options
    PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    JABK said:
    Tool plays behind a curtain for half their show, and Maynard stays hidden in darkness the entire show. They could easily just throw out some stand-ins who pretend to play along to a pre-recorded audio track and no one would be the wiser. ;)
    Saw Tool in March.  Yea Maynard is in the back.  But Justin was the front man of the band.  Quite entertaining.  Great show.  Solid band. Next to PJ, one of may fave bands.
    And yea, there is nothing wrong with PJ asking Tool how they stay non infected during tour...  Ed, call Maynard for advice.  :-)
  • Options
    maynard stays hidden during the shows? wtf?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    Not hidden, in the back

• Options
    Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 152
    Does anyone know if Matt or Jeff were actually unwell or did they just fail a test ?
  • Options
    aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,124
    PJALK said:
    Not hidden, in the back

Lol. That's brighter than he appeared at any point during the Tulsa show this year. I honestly turned to my friend and said, "that could not even really be him up there and no one would ever know it."  :D
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    Tool didn’t have a small crew on their tour either 

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,141
    edited May 2022
    PJALK said:
    JABK said:
    Saw Tool in March.  Yea Maynard is in the back.  But Justin was the front man of the band.  Quite entertaining.  Great show.  Solid band. Next to PJ, one of may fave bands.
    And yea, there is nothing wrong with PJ asking Tool how they stay non infected during tour...  Ed, call Maynard for advice.  :-)

I think the evidence is pretty clear on this page - that Tool pic of the entire crew shoulder to shoulder and not a single mask?? Edit, one mask … Not a single show canceled in four months of touring?

Tool was on tour in January when cases were astronomically higher.  My bet is on Tool is not testing unless someone is displaying symptoms and PJ is testing every day.

If bands want to test, that’s their right, but they should be disclosing their policy to customers before tickets are sold, so money is not wasted on flights/ hotels.

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,813
    Tool didn’t have a small crew on their tour either 

I’ve heard it takes 39 people just to set up Danny’s kit 😊
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,687
    PJALK said:
    JABK said:

I think the evidence is pretty clear on this page - that Tool pic of the entire crew shoulder to shoulder and not a single mask?? Edit, one mask … Not a single show canceled in four months of touring?

Tool was on tour in January when cases were astronomically higher.  My bet is on Tool is not testing unless someone is displaying symptoms and PJ is testing every day.

If bands want to test, that’s their right, but they should be disclosing their policy to customers before tickets are sold, so money is not wasted on flights/ hotels.

More than one mask, count again. Use a calculator if you need one. 🥸
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,931
    edited May 2022
    PJALK said:
    JABK said:

More than one mask, count again. Use a calculator if you need one. 🥸
    Single digit mask count (I see 4 or 5 at a glance) for fifty or so people? So at best 10% mask usage?
    Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,342
    edocon said:
    Interested to know how the guys got it. I know it was mentioned that they were in a “bubble”. Wonder how strict the bubble was? Also, could they have gotten it from playing on stage from someone in the audience?
    Well Mike was letting fans in front rows touch his Strat. So I'd say, not terribly strict with the bubble.
    I doubt he was licking the strat afterward. 
    He actually did play the guitar with his mouth at more than one of these shows.  COVID might be the least of his worries!  Somebody better test that guy for monkeypox.

By the way, something that hasn't been mentioned is that Mike is a 56-year-old man with a chronic inflammatory disease.  An infected Jeff standing next to him for two-and-a-half hours is not a good idea.  For all we know, Mike may have already been infected.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Lukeat911Lukeat911 Nashville, TN Posts: 175
    Hoping Matt and Jeff are doing well. Would love an update just letting us know they’re okay. I know they’re vaxxed and all, but still. 
  • Options
    ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,190
    JABK said:

Maynard already has had COVID twice, I suppose for him he is lucky it wasn't during a tour itinerary!  He mentioned it did odd things to his lungs
  • Options
    Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 152
    JABK said:

PJ need to travel forward 2 years in time to 2022. The solution is to not test every morning and come to work unless you feel ill. 

Hiding in a bubble prevents exposure to lots of common bugs and viruses - simply storing up trouble for the future of your immune system.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,838
    Lukeat911 said:
    Hoping Matt and Jeff are doing well. Would love an update just letting us know they’re okay. I know they’re vaxxed and all, but still. 
    This
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,141
    Tjm007 said:
    JABK said:

PJ need to travel forward 2 years in time to 2022. The solution is to not test every morning and come to work unless you feel ill. 

Hiding in a bubble prevents exposure to lots of common bugs and viruses - simply storing up trouble for the future of your immune system.

Two more years, Covid could still be here. At that point, maybe it’s time to consider whether they want a road life at all. If someone in the band is high risk,I get the caution, but perhaps they should not be in a touring band if there is an elevated health risk.

Otherwise, plenty of other bands are playing hundreds of shows with no known issues. PJ gets thru five before issues emerge. They seemingly are doing something very different than most of the other bands. 

There are tons of risks greater than Covid at shows. Saw Primus the other day, mostly packed in GA. Moshing and crowd surfing were rampant. Huge risk. Packed in like sardines, a young lady passed out. Luckily they got her out, but it wasn’t easy for security and it took time. Risks at these shows are everywhere.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,931
    One thing to keep in mind is that this band is historically and pathologically tight-lipped about almost everything. Mike has been very open about his Crohn's disease, but that doesn't mean there aren't other medical conditions and concerns we know nothing about. It's hard for me to say what anyone else should or should not do during COVID because I rarely know what the best thing is for me and my family. Everyone's situation is different. Every band's situation is different. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    JimmyV said:
    One thing to keep in mind is that this band is historically and pathologically tight-lipped about almost everything. Mike has been very open about his Crohn's disease, but that doesn't mean there aren't other medical conditions and concerns we know nothing about. It's hard for me to say what anyone else should or should not do during COVID because I rarely know what the best thing is for me and my family. Everyone's situation is different. Every band's situation is different. 

"You don't know what you don't know" - something far too many people are incapable of wrapping their brains around. 
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,242
    Just an observation having been at most of the shows this month - except when he had a part to play, and there weren’t that many songs where he did, Boom was not on stage at all.  I don’t know if that’s historically what he has done but my sense of it at the time was that he was trying to minimize his exposure.  Can’t say I blame him if that’s what he was doing.   
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 926
    edited May 2022
    Just a random comment, my friend just got back from 3 weeks in Europe. Traveled to a few countries including some on the soon to be tour. Take it for what its worth but when I questioned her about masks and covid in general she shrugged her shoulders and said she never even thought about it. Everything was normal in all the places she visited with no covid protocol any ware. She said she was never asked to wear a mask at anytime. Just passing it on. What was odd is when I asked her about the war in Ukrane, she also said it wasn't talked about in public any ware she went. Almost like the trip was pre-covid/war. Makes you wonder if the media in Europe isn't shoving panic down everyone's throat on a daily basis like they do here.
    Post edited by DEGBTI on
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

"You don't know what you don't know" - something far too many people are incapable of wrapping their brains around. 
    my entire department was sent home this morning for the remainder of the week as my boss tested positive. I get on the bus...can't locate my mask in my bag, so I assume I forgot it. Guy gets on after me, sits across from me. Flips me the bird twice. This guy obviously thinks I'm an anti-masker, which couldn't be further from the truth. 

the knee jerk judging of people is off the fucking charts. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,613
    Lukeat911 said:
    Josh did a radio interview a couple days ago. He seemed to say Matt was good and was actually planning on playing in Vegas, and that Jeff seemed to be over the worst of it as well.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,242
    RiotAct10 said:
    Lukeat911 said:
    Josh did a radio interview a couple days ago. He seemed to say Matt was good and was actually planning on playing in Vegas, and that Jeff seemed to be over the worst of it as well.
    Great news 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023