What’s up with Fresno?

Comments

• HaijayHaijay Posts: 374
    BF25394 said:
    Some people seem to think that Pearl Jam is playing Fresno and Sacramento instead of some other city or cities in the northeast or south.  I don't think there was any likelihood that Pearl Jam was going to shift from Oakland to the other side of the country, given the logistics involved and given that eastern dates were scheduled later in the year.  Instead, they added dates to extend the western leg.
    Not at all.  Salt Lake City, two Vegas, Portland, Seattle, etc….plenty of places to play.

They probably expected to sell well and got a little over confident.  Still time though.
    Definitely should have continued up the coast and did portland and two at climate pledge. Why didn’t they just ask me what they should do, jeez
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    BF25394 said:
    Some people seem to think that Pearl Jam is playing Fresno and Sacramento instead of some other city or cities in the northeast or south.  I don't think there was any likelihood that Pearl Jam was going to shift from Oakland to the other side of the country, given the logistics involved and given that eastern dates were scheduled later in the year.  Instead, they added dates to extend the western leg.
    Not at all.  Salt Lake City, two Vegas, Portland, Seattle, etc….plenty of places to play.

They probably expected to sell well and got a little over confident.  Still time though.
    Once again I’d point out that the band doesn’t take the ticket sales risk.  That’s on the promoter who pays the band an amount regardless of ticket sales.  I don’t know enough to know if the amount gets bumped up or down based on sales but at least in some cases it’s a flat appearance fee and Ed and the boys get their cash regardless.  Perhaps someone in Fres/Sac made an offer they couldn’t refuse but I don’t think PJ will be any worse off than if they played Portland/Seattle let’s say.  
    Maybe this time it does not hurt them but going forward the smaller markets will look at these two shows as potentially an example to pass on them playing or pay them less to do so. 
  • PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:

Once again I’d point out that the band doesn’t take the ticket sales risk.  That’s on the promoter who pays the band an amount regardless of ticket sales.  I don’t know enough to know if the amount gets bumped up or down based on sales but at least in some cases it’s a flat appearance fee and Ed and the boys get their cash regardless.  Perhaps someone in Fres/Sac made an offer they couldn’t refuse but I don’t think PJ will be any worse off than if they played Portland/Seattle let’s say.  
    Maybe this time it does not hurt them but going forward the smaller markets will look at these two shows as potentially an example to pass on them playing or pay them less to do so. 
    Definitely. Interesting to see if Fresno and Sacramento are written off as indicative of a saturated California market or if this makes it more likely we see fewer "small" market shows. 
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:

Definitely. Interesting to see if Fresno and Sacramento are written off as indicative of a saturated California market or if this makes it more likely we see fewer "small" market shows. 
    I am all for smaller market shows even if they sell as these ones do. This time though coming out of a pandemic it is an odd choice with so many larger markets even on the west/mid west being missed. That is not even taking into account the east but that is a completely different leg all together. 

How are Chicago Boston and Seattle getting skipped and NY and Philly are getting one show each? Crazy.
  • PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:

I am all for smaller market shows even if they sell as these ones do. This time though coming out of a pandemic it is an odd choice with so many larger markets even on the west/mid west being missed. That is not even taking into account the east but that is a completely different leg all together. 

How are Chicago Boston and Seattle getting skipped and NY and Philly are getting one show each? Crazy.
    I've been sending the entire band subliminal "fuck the Eastern half of the US" messages. 
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:

I've been sending the entire band subliminal "fuck the Eastern half of the US" messages. 
    If you have that much sway can you tell them to hit a Maritime show in Canada please and thanks! We are the definition of small market.
  • PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:

If you have that much sway can you tell them to hit a Maritime show in Canada please and thanks! We are the definition of small market.
    Sorry. Many years ago I instilled in Boom an irrational fear of Anne of Green Gables. He refuses to go within 300 kilometers of PEI. 
    If you take away vegas, sac, and fresno, they were to play SIX shows on leg 1. SIX!!!! WTF is that for a band that has been chomping at the bit for two years to play again. Why not start in New Orleans, houston, san antonio, dallas, maybe austin, albuquerque, san diego, la, oak, portland, seattle. Now THAT’S a first leg!! Huh? Huh? 
    Haijay said:
    If you take away vegas, sac, and fresno, they were to play SIX shows on leg 1. SIX!!!! WTF is that for a band that has been chomping at the bit for two years to play again. Why not start in New Orleans, houston, san antonio, dallas, maybe austin, albuquerque, san diego, la, oak, portland, seattle. Now THAT’S a first leg!! Huh? Huh? 
    Whoops, i forgot to put vegas back in there somewhere
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:

Sorry. Many years ago I instilled in Boom an irrational fear of Anne of Green Gables. He refuses to go within 300 kilometers of PEI. 
    Lol touché. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    BF25394 said:

Could have added the dates in late sept, or Texas in late may (not that far from AZ). Or even portland.

Bottom line, its bizarre for a band that tours less than average, to have such an unbalanced tour and ignore huge swaths of the country for an extended period of time, then play so many shows and festivals in one region 

It's one thing if they gave fans and wink "don't worry this is only legs 1 & 1a of our Gig tour" but that's never been offered. 
    edited April 2022
    BF25394 said:

The risk is the next tour. They probably got Carte Blanche with promoters in the past. When the next tour fees get negotiated, any losses from projected revenues by LN this year will be part of the talks.

Edit, every other band I followed closely, never had this issue, even if they played less,  they'd hit their fans big markets. This band must own alot of airline/hotel stock.
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
    Off topic but I would still love to know why PHX splits up LA and OAK. I thought maybe someone else had a hold in place for the arenas but nothing has been booked. PHX not being after Vegas makes no sense to me. 
  • OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 770
    edited April 2022
    I think the Vegas time slot (date) was probably locked in, and the 2 added shows had to be geographically feasible between Oakland and Vegas. (Plus venue availability).
    Portland and Seattle may make more sense, but not between Oakland and Vegas. Pure speculation, but seems logical to me.

*Edit: I also think you have to factor in that these were mostly make-up dates, not a newly planned tour, which likely would have been laid out differently.
    They fulfilled the obligation of as many as they could in a similar geographic region, with a break before they go off to Europe. The fact we got 3 shows (out West) added to the rescheduled ones is a bonus, no matter where they are. Fresno may not be my favorite place, but it will be on 5/16!
    Post edited by OfThePearl on
  • NEweatherNEweather Posts: 519
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:

Lol!!! 
  • NEweatherNEweather Posts: 519
      I feel like LUCKY,  Pearl Jam is giving me gifts- Oak's, Sac & Fresno are drivable distances where I don't have to fly/ or hotel necessarily.  I don't think im the only one who wants to see them Live around here, so hopefully alot of people can& will attend Sac&Fresno perhaps. Hoping. 
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 894
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:

Oh snap, they may have to actually play the South and Texas proper, where everyone has moved anyway.  That would be the best result of this current tour. 
  • jammergirljammergirl Posts: 599

A lot of good points here, I do think it was the short notice for the announcement of the new dates, plus geographically it makes little sense to do Oakland, Fresno, then back up to Sac.  Also covid is probably a big point as well, I myself can't believe I'm going from being a hermit for the last two years to four concerts in a row. But all these shows so close to me, what am I gonna do, NOT go? I just hope no one gives me any guff for wearing a mask in the pit! 
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352
    I think the other thing here is that they were probably reluctant to schedule a slew of shows given the uncertainty that existed at the time these shows were being rescheduled or added-- and that, frankly, still exists.  Remember, all it will take is one person in the band's circle to test positive for COVID for a show to be postponed.  I had tickets to see Superchunk two weeks ago in L.A.  On the day of the show, a positive test caused the show to be postponed to August.

Fans should be prepared for this, especially those who are traveling.  In addition to "local" shows in San Diego and L.A., I have tickets for Fresno, Glendale and Vegas.  I will be driving to Fresno and Glendale from L.A.  I am well aware that I could be halfway to Glendale (a 6.5-hour drive from L.A.) and find out that the show is off.  That's still the world we're living in, no matter how much we would like it not to be.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
    Ok how much of a shit hole is University Inn Fresno? It is right next to the venue, still available, and only $100....
  • PJNB said:
    Ok how much of a shit hole is University Inn Fresno? It is right next to the venue, still available, and only $100....
    I'll let you know on the 16th. I booked when it was only $75. How bad can it be?
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,890
    PJNB said:
    I'll let you know on the 16th. I booked when it was only $75. How bad can it be?
    I booked it, read the reviews, and canceled.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023

A lot of good points here, I do think it was the short notice for the announcement of the new dates, plus geographically it makes little sense to do Oakland, Fresno, then back up to Sac.  Also covid is probably a big point as well, I myself can't believe I'm going from being a hermit for the last two years to four concerts in a row. But all these shows so close to me, what am I gonna do, NOT go? I just hope no one gives me any guff for wearing a mask in the pit! 

Definitely go and wear a mask if you believe it’s best for your safety. Should be fine as long as Bill Maher is not standing next to you. He has been on an insufferable anti Covid safety measures rant the last year or so, and has become impossible to watch.
  • PJNB said:
    LOL. I don't blame you. I booked it, read the reviews, thought about cancelling, then looked again at the map--so close! Will I regret my decision? Almost certainly. 
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,901
    I’m considering either Holiday Inn or Best Western.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
    BF25394 said:
    I think the other thing here is that they were probably reluctant to schedule a slew of shows given the uncertainty that existed at the time these shows were being rescheduled or added-- and that, frankly, still exists.  Remember, all it will take is one person in the band's circle to test positive for COVID for a show to be postponed.  I had tickets to see Superchunk two weeks ago in L.A.  On the day of the show, a positive test caused the show to be postponed to August.

Fans should be prepared for this, especially those who are traveling.  In addition to "local" shows in San Diego and L.A., I have tickets for Fresno, Glendale and Vegas.  I will be driving to Fresno and Glendale from L.A.  I am well aware that I could be halfway to Glendale (a 6.5-hour drive from L.A.) and find out that the show is off.  That's still the world we're living in, no matter how much we would like it not to be.

Great point. I’ve been sitting here near MSG (which shouldn’t even count as local shows if they play less than three there and most locals get shut out every time) …considering dropping $2k to catch the two shows in LA. I believe strongly in Covid safety (for example Bill Maher’s anti mask rant the last year has made me a former watcher after this week) but…

Covid has mutated into a much weaker disease and we should only be testing artists IF they have symptoms. Considering they are charging millions to perform and know fans are paying millions more In non refundable travel costs, the current variant has almost no risk of hospitalization, especially for those under 70. To risk losing to $2k if someone has no symptoms and minimal risk of serious disease? I hate Maher’s rants of late but this is absurd to risk money time and effort for a no notice cancelation.
  • 100 Pacer said:
    Sure, that's nice, if you want a place that isn't "disgusting." One that has "working smoke detectors." That doesn't make you "feel itchy when sleeping." Otherwise, University Inn is your best bet. 
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,901
    100 Pacer said:
    Sure, that's nice, if you want a place that isn't "disgusting." One that has "working smoke detectors." That doesn't make you "feel itchy when sleeping." Otherwise, University Inn is your best bet. 
    Sounds like a worthwhile expenditure. 😜
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,762
    PJNB said:
    LOL. I don't blame you. I booked it, read the reviews, thought about cancelling, then looked again at the map--so close! Will I regret my decision? Almost certainly. 
    100 Pacer said:
    I bit the Bullet and got a ticket for Fresno, so I'm looking for a place to stay too. 

Too good of a ticket to pass up and I was basically driving that way so I HAD to buy a ticket>LOL
    cutz said:
    PJNB said:
    100 Pacer said:
    I bit the Bullet and got a ticket for Fresno, so I'm looking for a place to stay too. 

Too good of a ticket to pass up and I was basically driving that way so I HAD to buy a ticket>LOL
    Hey man! What shows you hitting?